Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
    I’m no longer concerned.
    Um yeah, he seems to have righted the ship
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

In a 4-3 win hosting Houston, Boston reliever Marcus Walden improved to 6-0. He made his MLB debut last year at age 29 and did not get any decisions. He has more wins than Chris Sale, David Price, and Rick Porcello combined. He's the only pitcher in MLB to have at least 6 wins without a loss. Before the season, what odds could you have gotten that at this point the Yankees would be led in wins by German and Boston would be led in wins by Walden? Also notable is that Brandon Workman got his first career save, so the Yankees and Red Sox both had that today.

NYYF Legend

Chris Sale pitched a 3 hit shutout in an 8-0 win at Kansas City. Sale had a career-high Game Score of 93. He had 92 three times.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Chris Sale pitched a 3 hit shutout in an 8-0 win at Kansas City. Sale had a career-high Game Score of 93. He had 92 three times.

And pitched his second immaculate inning of the season, which I don't think has ever been done before.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
    And pitched his second immaculate inning of the season, which I don't think has ever been done before.
    Lefty Grove, August 23 and September 27, 1928:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats17.shtml

NYYF Legend

Immaculate innings are all well and good, but does anyone keep track of three-pitch innings?

Well, yeah, silly question:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feat...h_inning.shtml

Chapman did it in 2016, when he was with the Cubs.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Immaculate innings are all well and good, but does anyone keep track of three-pitch innings?

Well, yeah, silly question:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feat...h_inning.shtml

Chapman did it in 2016, when he was with the Cubs.
    Wow, Red Faber had 2 in the same game!
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

What is the vibe amongst Red Sox fans? Are they as equally as negative over the lack of signing a Kimbrel or Keuchel as the Yankee fan base?

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    What is the vibe amongst Red Sox fans? Are they as equally as negative over the lack of signing a Kimbrel or Keuchel as the Yankee fan base?
    It's not like we have club meetings or anything , but...

I don't think that the Sox were really in on or needed either player. That and after last Fall, I'm not sure if I have confidence in Kimbrel any more.
    Ask me about my groin pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1979 View Post
    It's not like we have club meetings or anything , but...

I don't think that the Sox were really in on or needed either player. That and after last Fall, I'm not sure if I have confidence in Kimbrel any more.

Interesting, considering the Red Sox haven't really had an effective 4th or 5th starter all year or anybody that can pitch the 9th inning.

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Interesting, considering the Red Sox haven't really had an effective 4th or 5th starter all year or anybody that can pitch the 9th inning.
    Both were too expensive for the Sox's current budget. Of the two, Kuechel was the one that they could have used, but the Sox had other less expensive options. But there was a reason that he was still on the market.
    Ask me about my groin pull.

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1979 View Post
    Both were too expensive for the Sox's current budget. Of the two, Kuechel was the one that they could have used, but the Sox had other less expensive options. But there was a reason that he was still on the market.
    It was really just as simple as that. I mentioned this a few times last year, but the Sox have been operating around their payroll ceiling for the past couple years. I was okay with letting Kelly leave (dude was gonna cash in after that postseason run), letting Kimbrel leave (who was due to make even more money despite bad numbers his entire postseason career in Boston, and a shaky second half in the regular season), and not signing Keuchel (who I legitimately thought someone should pay, even though it obviously wasn't going to be us).

Bullpen has been weird, though. Overall numbers are pretty good, but they've blown a ................ ton of games this year already. Seems to me the issue is overwork. As previously noted, there has been no solid 5 guy this year, but on top of that, there is little or no depth in the pen past the top 5 guys, and we've had no reliable long man this year (whereas in other recent years, we've had as many as THREE good long relievers/spot starters at the same time).

On another note, I can't shake the feeling that the Yankees feel a lot like last year's Sox team. Doesn't mean they're gonna win the whole thing, of course, but boy, has their run been special this year.

Yankees and Dodgers are red hot this year. Red Sox, uhm... have red socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    It was really just as simple as that. I mentioned this a few times last year, but the Sox have been operating around their payroll ceiling for the past couple years. I was okay with letting Kelly leave (dude was gonna cash in after that postseason run), letting Kimbrel leave (who was due to make even more money despite bad numbers his entire postseason career in Boston, and a shaky second half in the regular season), and not signing Keuchel (who I legitimately thought someone should pay, even though it obviously wasn't going to be us).

Bullpen has been weird, though. Overall numbers are pretty good, but they've blown a ................ ton of games this year already. Seems to me the issue is overwork. As previously noted, there has been no solid 5 guy this year, but on top of that, there is little or no depth in the pen past the top 5 guys, and we've had no reliable long man this year (whereas in other recent years, we've had as many as THREE good long relievers/spot starters at the same time).

On another note, I can't shake the feeling that the Yankees feel a lot like last year's Sox team. Doesn't mean they're gonna win the whole thing, of course, but boy, has their run been special this year.
    I can understand the budget argument, but Archer's stated that not only were the players "expensive", but he didn't feel that either was a need. I just don't understand how either player wasn't a need for the Red Sox. I feel the Yankees needed Keuchel, and am not really happy they lost out on him over ~$1.

Not sure if it is overuse. The numbers in lower leverage situations vs. high leverage situations are pretty telling.

NYYF Triple Crown

According to @TomCaron, the Boston Red Sox plan to use Nathan Eovaldi as their closer when he returns from IL.

They’re really that desperate and don’t want to add any talent with salary at all.

NYYF Legend

Brandon Workman got a blown save and win to improve to 8-1. Marcus Walden is 6-1. They have a chance to be the seventh teammates to have no starts and at least 10 wins. The last time that happened was in 1982 with Boston's Mark Clear and Bob Stanley, and San Francisco's Gary Lavelle and Greg Minton. The Yankees have never had teammates do that.

Weren't some a little hasty in anointing Mookie Betts the "bestest baseball player evah!!" after Mike Trout; Mookie often mentioned as 1b to Trout's 1a, based on one career year (albeit an MVP year)? The same Mookie Betts that you dared not mention (pick any Yankee) name in the same breath. Funny how things turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by luis pecorino View Post
    Weren't some a little hasty in anointing Mookie Betts the "bestest baseball player evah!!" after Mike Trout; Mookie often mentioned as 1b to Trout's 1a, based on one career year (albeit an MVP year)? The same Mookie Betts that you dared not mention (pick any Yankee) name in the same breath. Funny how things turn out.

Happens a lot, we were probably more sensitive to it because of him playing for our rivals and them winning it all..

But if you look at his numbers, he is clearly an excellent player, but last year he had a year for the ages.. His OPS was 1.078, which is insane.. But if you look at his 4 other full seasons (counting 2019 if we prorate) he is not really that player, he is about a mid .800s OPS player. Still very good.. But there is a reason they call it a career year.. He may have just had it..

Again if you look at his career in total, he is far more a mid .800's OPS guy than the 1.078 OPS guy he was last year..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Triple Crown

The Boston #RedSox DFA Eduardo Nunez, call up RHP Ryan Weber and 1B/OF Sam Travis, and option RHP Hector Velazquez today @BNightengale

NYYF Triple Crown

@SmittyOnMLB
    1m1 minute ago
    Andrew Cashner trade: Boston Red Sox starter says ‘The thing I’m looking forward to the most is playing the Yankees’ https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2019...e-yankees.html

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post

@SmittyOnMLB
    1m1 minute ago
    Andrew Cashner trade: Boston Red Sox starter says ‘The thing I’m looking forward to the most is playing the Yankees’ https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2019...e-yankees.html
    Maybe he should have been more focused on playing the Blue Jays.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Maybe he should have been more focused on playing the Blue Jays.
    zing!
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Thread Information