+ Reply to Thread
Page 528 of 529 FirstFirst ... 28 428 478 518 525 526 527 528 529 LastLast
Results 13,176 to 13,200 of 13207
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Yankees had the vision not to sign him.
    Totally, although they also had the lack of vision to sign Ells. Sandoval was not a smart signing.

Pablo has one of the more punchable faces in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Pablo has one of the more punchable faces in the game.
    He fills it rather well also. Aand now he can be the full-time designated eater

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    ..lol how are you trying to paint this as a positive for the Red Sox.
    Not sure at whom this was directed, and I can only speak for myself, but I certainly didn't say this was a "positive for the Red Sox." What I said was letting him go is a very good decision and one which I wish the team I root for had the courage to make. The initial signing of Sandoval was an absolute trainwreck and a very bad decision. Keeping players just because a team mistakenly signed them to big and long contracts compounds these previous bad decisions. 40-man and 25-man rosters should be treated as commodities and one of the last places that teams with deep pockets can exercise a once huge advantage. For example, the Yankees can trade Ells and pay 90% of his contract and look at that as buying a commodity. If they use a rookie to fill that spot, it could end up being a wash. If no one will take him at 10% of his salary, then they dump him outright. The Sox pulled the trigger on this, which was the right decision and that is all I ever said.

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    Totally, although they also had the lack of vision to sign Ells. Sandoval was not a smart signing.
    Ellsbury deal was bad, but doesn't compare at all to the 196+M the sox spent on Sandoval, Castillo, and Craig. They're still paying for this. I don't give them any credit for anything in this deal.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

NYYF Cy Young

Ellsbury deal was bad, but doesn't compare at all to the 196+M the sox spent on Sandoval, Castillo, and Craig. They're still paying for this. I don't give them any credit for anything in this deal.
    Horrendous spending of $196+ mil. You don't think the Sox cutting ties with Sandoval is a good decision? There's nothing that can be done about the mistakes they already made and all they can control is the now.

NYYF Legend

If no one will take him at 10% of his salary, then they dump him outright
    that's what it would likely have to come to, as I'm skeptical that MLB would sign off on a 90% dump of Ellsbury money. Ninety percent of what they still owe him > $65 million. I know they ate a big percentage chunk in the A.J. Burnett dump but that was off a principal of only about $32M. That's what's so bad about the corner they've painted themselves into as far as trying to trade Ellsbury, it isn't just the percentage they'd have to eat, it's the sheer volume.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    that's what it would likely have to come to, as I'm skeptical that MLB would sign off on a 90% dump of Ellsbury money. Ninety percent of what they still owe him > $65 million. I know they ate a big percentage chunk in the A.J. Burnett dump but that was off a principal of only about $32M. That's what's so bad about the corner they've painted themselves into as far as trying to trade Ellsbury, it isn't just the percentage they'd have to eat, it's the sheer volume.
    I am not 100% clear on the rules regarding this. Do you know what the percentage or dollar parameters are? Or is it case-by-case?

NYYF Legend

I am not 100% clear on the rules regarding this. Do you know what the percentage or dollar parameters are? Or is it case-by-case?
    I believe it's case-by-case but don't hold me to that. I do seem to remember there being a little white-knuckling on whether the Burnett dump would get green-lighted; which fuels my skepticism on whether a similarly structured Ellsbury trade would fly.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    I believe it's case-by-case but don't hold me to that. I do seem to remember there being a little white-knuckling on whether the Burnett dump would get green-lighted; which fuels my skepticism on whether a similarly structured Ellsbury trade would fly.
    I remember that, as well. The only thing the Yankees can do is try. If that doesn't work, they really need to cut bait. At this stage, his continued presence on the roster is detrimental to the organization on several fronts.

Horrendous spending of $196+ mil. You don't think the Sox cutting ties with Sandoval is a good decision? There's nothing that can be done about the mistakes they already made and all they can control is the now.
    I think it's an easy decision for Dombrowski since he didn't sign him.

Can't draw that parallel with Ellsbury - someone could take him if the subsidy is right.

Ellsbury's provided value too....nothing compared to these guys.

NYYF Cy Young

I think it's an easy decision for Dombrowski since he didn't sign him.

Can't draw that parallel with Ellsbury - someone could take him if the subsidy is right.

Ellsbury's provided value too....nothing compared to these guys.
    It is easy for Dombrowski, but the organization has to sign off on this loss. Dombrowski is not a good GM. I'm not at all giving him any credit for this.

It is easy for Dombrowski, but the organization has to sign off on this loss. Dombrowski is not a good GM. I'm not at all giving him any credit for this.
    Ok, we're aligned on that.

NYYF Legend

The Yankees have had their share of bad contract over the years. Nice to laugh at Boston for one.

It would be pretty funny if the Yanks picked him up for league minimum and he actually helped the Yanks while Boston is paying him.

I don't expect the Yanks to grab him (when he clears waivers) nor do I expect him to suddenly become productive again, just think it would be hilarious if it did happen.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Cy Young

Ok, we're aligned on that.
    I did a little jig when they hired Dombrowski.

NYYF Cy Young

Sandoval still owed $48.3 mil by Red Sox. This is the 2nd largest amount of money remaining on a contract, at the time of being DFA'd, in MLB history. The most ever remaining, at the time of being DFA'd, was on Josh Hamilton's contract when he was released by LAA.

Except that the Yankees signed Ellsbury AWAY from the Sox, so they saved the Sox from what Ellsbury always was while saddling themselves with a terrible contract.

Fisted.

NYYF HOF

Rivera's best ratio of saves to hits allowed in a season was 1.047 in 1999, which was the only year he had more saves than hits allowed. Kimbrel's career ratio of saves to hits allowed is 1.148. In 2012 he had a ratio of over 1.5, and his ratio is over 1.5 so far this year. Kimbrel is the first pitcher to have six 30 save seasons before turning 30, and he could make it seven this year. Of the 35 pitchers with at least 250 saves, Kimbrel has the best career ERA by 0.39 over Rivera. Kimbrel could be the third pitcher to have 500 saves. Kimbrel hopefully won't win as many World Series as Rivera, but if Kimbrel pitches until he's 38 with the second half of his career being a little worse than the first half, there's no doubt he would be one of the best relievers ever.

Quote Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
    Except that the Yankees signed Ellsbury AWAY from the Sox, so they saved the Sox from what Ellsbury always was while saddling themselves with a terrible contract.
    Except what? Does this make the Sandoval/Castillo/Craig money dumps any better?

NYYF Cy Young

Red Sox offense is not very good.

Good lord, kimbrel is an annoying condor when he pitches.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    Good lord, kimbrel is an annoying condor when he pitches.
    Yay what the hell is that stance. He looks like a bird on LSD.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

matt2351
    Red Sox offense is not very good.

Their line up has no home run power. Last in AL with 94 homers.

3 for 58 with runners in scoring position in their last series with the Yankees.

I hope Dombrowski trades for Todd Frazier.

Giving up more of their future.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    ...if Kimbrel pitches until he's 38 with the second half of his career being a little worse than the first half, there's no doubt he would be one of the best relievers ever.
    That's a big IF. Mo's best quality was how effortless and simple his approach was. I can't say if Kimbrel is a max-effort type of pitcher because I wasn't really looking at him that way when I saw him pitch this weekend. But most relievers rely on heat or some kind of arm-stressing breaking pitch which they can't sustain for too long. Mo was just as unhittable at 91-92 mph as he was at 95-96 because of the movement on his pitches.

Thread Information