+ Reply to Thread
Page 530 of 530 FirstFirst ... 30 430 480 520 527 528 529 530
Results 13,226 to 13,242 of 13242

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    It's mind blowing. He knows struggles beyond anything Price or E-Rod have suffered in their relatively young careers. Dude had to deal with a plethora of injuries, severe problems with alcoholism, personal problems (including his first wife leaving him for a teammate in Cleveland), and performance problems, as well. Almost overnight, he transformed from one of the brightest young starters in the AL to a barely serviceable back-end of the rotation guy. He probably would have washed out of baseball if he didn't fall right into that Oakland closer job. Even while excelling in that role, he will forever be remembered as the guy who gave up that iconic walk-off piece to Gibby in '88. He's basically as much of a rags-to-riches-to-rags-to-riches story as you can find in the game of baseball.
    Yeah, but he said "Yuck" once.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Yeah, but he said "Yuck" once.
    It's absolutely amazing. What makes it worse is it appears Price has many behind him. But not the fans..or the media. Even those who previously defended him to a fault are some with him. Listening to their sports radio is quite entertaining lately. Will be interesting to see if any fan reaction Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I agree 100%. It was mearly a coincidence that Shaughnessy wrote both articles and it should be no surprise that he would stick up for a broadcaster over a player.
    Except up until this latest issue Shaughnessy has been a defender of his, at least on radio. The irony of all this is the Boston media have been kissing this guy's behind sine he got here and he's lost his ever loving mind over inane, minuscule crap. He can't handle Boston. I spent 30 years in Boston as a Yankee fan. I have heard worse from Sox fans than he has from the media. I lived. I didn't need a safe space. Oh, and Seattle up 3-0 on Sox already. We could back in first by morning.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    personal problems (including his first wife leaving him for a teammate in Cleveland)
    That would be Rick Manning. Good thing she wasn't doing a baseball trade, that would be like Robinson for Pappas.

I saw Eckersley start a game for the Sox in Yankee Stadium in 1983, he got hit so hard I feared for the people in the right field stands. I couldn't believe it was the same guy who won 20 in 1978 and led the Sox pitching staff in that great race with the Yankees. I thought his career was over. 15 years later it finally was.

Price was 13 when Eckersley pitched his last season, even by osmosis he has to know who Eckersley was, doesn't he? Doesn't he? And Price has always struck me as somewhat more articulate/educated than the average jocko who thinks the MLB was founded the year he turned 6.

Like you said, mind-blowing.

According to MLBTR, sox traded for nunez

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    Sox radio (WEEI) just confirmed, 2 MiLB pitchers to Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    aka Humpty Hump

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    aka Humpty Hump
    All right-- Stop whatcha doin', cause I'm about to ruin
    The image and the style that ya used to
    I look funny - but yo I'm making money, see
    So yo world I hope you're ready for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    All right-- Stop whatcha doin', cause I'm about to ruin
    The image and the style that ya used to
    I look funny - but yo I'm making money, see
    So yo world I hope you're ready for me
    Digital Underground in the house!

Go Nunez, go Nunez...

NYYF Legend

I hate seeing Nunez in Boston as that will surely mean another ex-Yankee who will get more chances to punish the Yankees.

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

For all my Dombrowski related paranoia, I don't hate this trade. Two okay prospects light years away from realizing any potential for a (sadly) massive upgrade offensively who also provides defensive versatility. It also doesn't hamstring us financially or prevent us from finding a better Devers stopgap next year, if necessary.

I was pretty mad when I heard about this last night, but then again, I was mad about a lot of things last night and had good reason to be. We are now 6-12 in our last 18, and 19-19 over our last 38.

Eduardo Nunez isn't even a massive upgrade for a tee ball team. He's complete garbage.

One of my absolute least favorite baseball players ever. Just trash.

Edit: I like reading your posts Bronson, but you are gonna absolutely hate this guy.
    If they ask who was our star, give them twenty five names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    Eduardo Nunez isn't even a massive upgrade for a tee ball team. He's complete garbage.
    That is probably true, but complete garbage is still a massive upgrade over anything we've trotted out at 3B this year.

In all seriousness, I'm not thrilled with his offensive numbers, but a guy with a career OPS+ of 95 and wRC+ of 94 is legitimately way better than any of our current options (insofar as known quantities, Devers might actually already be better) at third. It has been a horror show all year. Marrero/Lin have at least provided good defense and baserunning since late May/early June, but the offensive production is still horrendous. At third, Sox are dead last in the majors in SLG%, OPS, ISO, wOBA, wRC+, RE24, and WPA. Second to last in fWAR, RAR, and wRAA.

29 teams in the majors are getting more offensive production out of their catchers than we have gotten from third base this year. It's comically bad. To put that into perspective, Nunez would have provide less offense than twenty nine other clubs' catchers. Holy ................, that's insane.

NYYF HOF

Sale became the second pitcher and first AL pitcher to 13 wins. He pitched 7 scoreless innings. He is on pace to have an ERA of 2.50 or lower, at least 20 wins, and at least 300 strikeouts. Only six pitchers have done that in the last 100 years. They are Bob Feller, Sandy Koufax (three times), Vida Blue, Steve Carlton, Pedro Martinez, and Randy Johnson (twice).

Devers is absolutely better than Nunez is, or ever will be, today.

Why this move right after the call-up?
    If they ask who was our star, give them twenty five names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Tiring of Brock Holt, perhaps, want an upgrade in that role.

At any rate Yankee radio listeners now can look forward to John Sterling once again butchering the pronunciation of Nunez's last name.

Devers is absolutely better than Nunez is, or ever will be, today.

Versatility. If Devers struggles, they can send him back down quickly before it leads to any long term problems. If Devers hangs in there, Nunez immediately leapfrogs Deven Marrero and a frequently injured (and currently struggling) Brock Holt as a super utility guy. He should seriously improve depth, if nothing else.

Thread Information