+ Reply to Thread
Page 564 of 566 FirstFirst ... 64 464 514 554 561 562 563 564 565 566 LastLast
Results 14,076 to 14,100 of 14138
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Last I checked every game in the regular season counts for exactly 1 game.
    But yes taking care of business against the also rans is a great way to put yourself in position to win the division like Boston did last year and the Yankees seem to be doing this year.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Sale to the IL with elbow inflammation

Also the dreaded "going to Dr James Andrews for a second opinion"
    Assistant to the Manager
    Analytical Department of Analytics

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    Sale to the IL with elbow inflammation

Also the dreaded "going to Dr James Andrews for a second opinion"
    Looks like he's avoiding Tommy John surgery... for now.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ids-tommy-john
    Ask me about my groin pull.

For now

You don't get PRP injections just because...
    Assistant to the Manager
    Analytical Department of Analytics

NYYF Legend

Word is he's done for the season (smart).
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Word is he's done for the season (smart).
    redsox should follow his lead and declare themselves done too.

NYYF Legend

The Yankees have to go from Oakland south to Los Angeles and north to Seattle, whereas it would have been less travel to have Oakland in the middle. Boston has something similar as they go from San Diego to Colorado to Los Angeles at the Angels. They have 2 games at Colorado, and they were supposed to have off Thursday, Monday, and Thursday, but the first Thursday in 2 days they have to finish a game hosting Kansas City suspended in the top of the tenth before flying to San Diego.

Ill be at the San Diego game... a contest of who sucks less.

Calls a tool a tool

Sox have a lot of dead wood/overpriced talent even with Porcello coming off. Price, Sale, Eovaldi, Pedroia, Castillo.

I'm prepared to officially declare the Red Sox 2019 playoff hopes TOAST.
    Supports: smart spending, roster flexibility and depth. Does not support: reckless spending and extreme prospect hugging.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    For now

You don't get PRP injections just because...
    Now we can spend the next two or three years talking about how his elbow is a ticking time bomb. That wouldn't sound familiar or anything.
    Supports: smart spending, roster flexibility and depth. Does not support: reckless spending and extreme prospect hugging.

Quote Originally Posted by secret_face View Post
    I'm prepared to officially declare the Red Sox 2019 playoff hopes TOAST.
    Im not. But after Colorado, they have 10 against the Dodgers, Twins and Yankees. Theyre going to have to do more than hold serve.

NYYF Legend

Going to be interesting to see how they proceed. With so many large contracts and a weakened farm the next GM is in a tricky spot.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Insane. Hot seat as the defending champs.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

I have mixed feelings. I was always wary about the Dombrowski move since (at least in recent years) he has been a win now, deplete the farm kind of guy. That being said, he DID put us over the top last year, and it isn't entirely his fault that this team has been what it is this year. He has undoubtedly exacerbated the Sox recent payroll inflexibility problems, but it's still a bit early to even know whether those moves panned out or not (obviously short term, they largely have not).

IIRC, his contract was up at the end of the season, anyway. Why oust him now? You're not gonna fill the position with anyone quality between now and then. Obviously this is ownership's way of telling the masses "we also are unhappy with this team right now, and we're getting rid of the guy who ................ed it all up!" This has been a pretty consistent move over the years. Every manager and GM seems to get run out of town on a rail.

Don't misunderstand me; for many of them, whether I loved (Tito) or despised (Bobby V) them, it was absolutely time to go. Why make a show of it every time, though? How do you expect to continue to attract quality replacements? You're sending the message to all potential candidates that the second things go wrong, they're not only gone, but will be dragged through the mud on the way out. What's the point?

NYYF Triple Crown

Re: The Red Sox Threa

I’m quite shocked, mainly because I don’t follow any Sox front office rumors, your front office do have a very short leash. It looks like the Sox opted for a quick beheading ie. less pain as opposed to a long, torturous ordeal, hah and I agree with everything you said, and that it can make attracting talents difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    I have mixed feelings. I was always wary about the Dombrowski move since (at least in recent years) he has been a win now, deplete the farm kind of guy. That being said, he DID put us over the top last year, and it isn't entirely his fault that this team has been what it is this year. He has undoubtedly exacerbated the Sox recent payroll inflexibility problems, but it's still a bit early to even know whether those moves panned out or not (obviously short term, they largely have not).

IIRC, his contract was up at the end of the season, anyway. Why oust him now? You're not gonna fill the position with anyone quality between now and then. Obviously this is ownership's way of telling the masses "we also are unhappy with this team right now, and we're getting rid of the guy who ................ed it all up!" This has been a pretty consistent move over the years. Every manager and GM seems to get run out of town on a rail.

Don't misunderstand me; for many of them, whether I loved (Tito) or despised (Bobby V) them, it was absolutely time to go. Why make a show of it every time, though? How do you expect to continue to attract quality replacements? You're sending the message to all potential candidates that the second things go wrong, they're not only gone, but will be dragged through the mud on the way out. What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post

This..
    It's one thing to decide to head in a different direction, and I don't blame them for that..

But the timing... while the Yankees are in town basically laying the 2019 title defense to complete rest, it screams.. hey look at that guy, he's to blame!!! Off with his head!!!

Just wait until the offseason and do it then.. There is no major move or event that necessitates firing DD now rather than in 3 weeks..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    This..
    It's one thing to decide to head in a different direction, and I don't blame them for that..

But the timing... while the Yankees are in town basically laying the 2019 title defense to complete rest, it screams.. hey look at that guy, he's to blame!!! Off with his head!!!

Just wait until the offseason and do it then.. There is no major move or event that necessitates firing DD now rather than in 3 weeks..
    And also, this team overachieved last year to the tune of the best record in team history. They had essentially the same team this season and they did what they were supposed to do - regress to the mean. Take these two years together and it's still an above average team with a WS win. To put all the blame on Dombrowski when he did what you asked him to do is childish and screams of Lucchino trying to make sure nobody is mad at him.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    And also, this team overachieved last year to the tune of the best record in team history. They had essentially the same team this season and they did what they were supposed to do - regress to the mean. Take these two years together and it's still an above average team with a WS win. To put all the blame on Dombrowski when he did what you asked him to do is childish and screams of Lucchino trying to make sure nobody is mad at him.
    It's pretty much the MO for John Henry's Red Sox. Yankees in town, opportunity to try and steal back the headlines from the Patriots, and a scapegoat -- obviously they couldn't resist.

I think some of you guys are being super dramatic. It's fair to say that Dombrowski did exactly what was expected of him. You basically knew that when he was done in Boston, the organization would have a bloated payroll and a weak farm. It's not to sleight the man. That's pretty much what happens to every big market club who goes all in.

In a way, I see the announcement as a mercy killing. Why have everyone endure the media for another three weeks when the decision is already made? Why force the man to watch the season gasp its final breath? It's better for everyone to move on and it's better for Boston to get a head start on their personnel decisions.

I respect this move by the Red Sox. The organization is in a much different place now then when Dombrowski was hired. For starters the farm in not as strong and they have financial flexibility issues. John Henry concluded Dombrowski is not the person he wants leading the organization for the next 5 years and made a bold move. With 4 WS in 15 years he obviously knows what hes doing.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by secret_face View Post
    I think some of you guys are being super dramatic. It's fair to say that Dombrowski did exactly what was expected of him. You basically knew that when he was done in Boston, the organization would have a bloated payroll and a weak farm. It's not to sleight the man. That's pretty much what happens to every big market club who goes all in.

In a way, I see the announcement as a mercy killing. Why have everyone endure the media for another three weeks when the decision is already made? Why force the man to watch the season gasp its final breath? It's better for everyone to move on and it's better for Boston to get a head start on their personnel decisions.
    This is exactly what the Red Sox do. Before moving to Paris, I lived in the Boston area for 15 years -- no one leaves the team without drama (remember the stories about Francona abusing pain medication and his marital issues after he left?). If they really were being merciful, they wouldn't have timed it to the end of a Sunday night Yankees game.

Calls a tool a tool

Betts and/or Martinez are on the trade block this winter. Signing Betts after the 2020 season to play LF would be sweet. LeMehiu-Betts-Judge-Sanchez-Torres-Stanton-Voit-Hicks-Urshela is sick.

NYYF Triple Crown

I understand that business is business and the sox have to do what is good for their organization but it does strike me as cold and ruthless the way they just dropped him like that, like he’s some unnecessary piece of trash , but then again maybe they already broke the news to him prior before it spread like wildfire \_(ツ)_/

and they say the Yankees are the Evil Empire

Thread Information