+ Reply to Thread
Page 511 of 537 FirstFirst ... 11 411 461 501 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 521 ... LastLast
Results 12,751 to 12,775 of 13401
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Red Sox Thread

How on earth did they con the Phillies into playing Clay's full salary?
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    While somewhat surprising, I can't believe it wasn't for a PTBNL. They actually got a potential AAAA player as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Because it's one year at short money and Philly has no payroll. It's not surprising at all.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

You would have to think the Red Sox are favored to win the pennant this season no?

What do you guys think is more probable, players like Betts and Pedroia falling off at the plate or Porcello and Price falling off on the bump?

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    You would have to think the Red Sox are favored to win the pennant this season no?

What do you guys think is more probable, players like Betts and Pedroia falling off at the plate or Porcello and Price falling off on the bump?
    Pedroia and Porcello falling off
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Because it's one year at short money and Philly has no payroll. It's not surprising at all.
    Yup. Dude has always had good stuff, and when his body and mind are right he can go out there and pitch like an ace for two thirds of a season. They're not playing for anything next year in all likelihood, so why not take a shot on a guy who has the potential to be lights out for 180 innings? He sure looked good toward the end of last season, and he also worked surprisingly well out of the bullpen toward the middle of the season. I'd judge this a low risk, medium-high reward scenario.

The real question is why did the Sox pick up his option in the first place if we were just going to dump him for some garbage minor league depth. Unless some Sox scout really liked what they saw in that 2B, I just don't see the point of this.

Pedroia and Porcello falling off
    I'd agree. Porcello is due for a meaty correction next year (conversely, I think Price will pitch slightly-to-moderately better), and Pedroia just had his best year since probably 2011. Pedroia will be 33 next season, and undersized, maximum effort players who accumulate a legion of nagging injuries tend to decline both early and sharply. Not that I think he's going to fall of a cliff next year or anything, but he was remarkably healthy last season and I'm not sure we will be so lucky next year.

Betts looks legit AF. Unless he runs into a Grady Sizemore/Rocco Baldelli type of constantly recurring injury wall, I think he's gonna be the real deal for a little while.

Price going to visit Dr. Andrews....

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Price going to visit Dr. Andrews....
    Yikes.

With some bad news there, that could wind up being the worst contract in the history of sports.

NYYF Legend

Old post but just seeing now due to Price news.

I agree LapTop is pretty cheap and I wouldn't at all be surprised if he has a pretty good season pitching in the NL East. (Though it might be better if he could pitch against his Phillymates instead of for them.)
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I can't imagine any circumstance in which Price opts out now. Sox were praying for him to do it, too.

NYYF Legend

The Red Sox went against everything they believe in when they signed Price to such a huge contract. Long term contracts for pitchers north of 30 rarely work out. However, they finished last in 2014 and 2015, and they were desperate to turn things around. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and now it looks like Price's elbow may be shot.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8 View Post
    The Red Sox went against everything they believe in when they signed Price to such a huge contract. Long term contracts for pitchers north of 30 rarely work out. However, they finished last in 2014 and 2015, and they were desperate to turn things around. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and now it looks like Price's elbow may be shot.
    Against everything they believe in? They been doing this for a long long time.

Price is a bit of a heel and while I would never wish injury on anyone, I have really enjoyed watching his failures when it really mattered for the Blue Jays and now Red Sox. I thought his signing was objectively terrible when it happened and I was glad the Yankees didn't get him. (My understanding is that the Yankees don't necessarily deserve any credit for this -- Price was on the record saying he never wanted to play for them so they probably never had a shot.)

Anyway, injury or not, if he ends up a complete bust for the Red Sox that is fine by me.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Price is a bit of a heel and while I would never wish injury on anyone, I have really enjoyed watching his failures when it really mattered for the Blue Jays and now Red Sox. I thought his signing was objectively terrible when it happened and I was glad the Yankees didn't get him. (My understanding is that the Yankees don't necessarily deserve any credit for this -- Price was on the record saying he never wanted to play for them so they probably never had a shot.)

Anyway, injury or not, if he ends up a complete bust for the Red Sox that is fine by me.
    I agree with everything said here. I was listening to a national radio show last wek - honestly forget which one. One of the hosts was going on about how great Price was in the 2nd half last year and was going to have a great season. When asked how he did in the postseason last year you could hear a pin drop.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    I agree with everything said here. I was listening to a national radio show last wek - honestly forget which one. One of the hosts was going on about how great Price was in the 2nd half last year and was going to have a great season. When asked how he did in the postseason last year you could hear a pin drop.
    Thirded.

I'm assuming that this tweet was after the examination today. If so, he sounds pretty upbeat and it might not be as serious as some thought.

https://twitter.com/DAVIDprice24/sta...48395477512192

Sox offense should be among the best again, who knows about the pitching though. One great year from Porcello does not convince me hes "that guy" Sale has to prove he can pitch in Boston. Price is having arm issues. Is pomeranz even going to be in the rotation? Eduardo Rodriguez has not done much. Steven Wright isnt a proven consistent commodity either. Their only pitchers who have been consistently good in the Majors are Price and Sale. And to reiterate, Price sucked last year and is hurt now, And Sale has to prove he can pitch in boston. I think Sale will be fine, but sox fans should be cautiously optimistic

NYYF Legend

No surgery required at this time according to a radio report I just heard. No real specifics though. "At this time".
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Devoted Member

Our buddy Pete Abraham making friends up there

"The saddest thing in life is wasted talent"

NYYF Legend

Re: Our buddy Pete Abraham making friends up there

I guess the grass isn't greener on the other side.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Re: Our buddy Pete Abraham making friends up there

Pretty funny how quick he is to pounce on anyone who criticizes a player yet he took every possible opportunity to dump on A-Rod when he was the Yankees beat writer. I've told this story on here before but he once made a crack about A-Rod in one of his articles to the effect of "that's about as likely as A-Rod coming through with a clutch hit in the postseason." So I posted something like "Or as likely as Pete passing up the buffet table" in the comments section. He actually emailed me to scold me for the comment.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Uh oh.....

Lies to control the media?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/re...rived-in-camp/

Doesnt sound good.

What did Sox fans think about the line up? Xander hitting in the 6 hole kind of surprised me, but I guess that give's Moreland some level of protection.

The Red Sox reward for finishing in last place in 2014?

Andrew Benintendi. At 22 plenty of room to grow but so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    The Red Sox reward for finishing in last place in 2014?

Andrew Benintendi. At 22 plenty of room to grow but so far so good.
    Surprised they put him in the # 2 slot and hit Boegarts 6th.

Thread Information