+ Reply to Thread
Page 522 of 537 FirstFirst ... 22 422 472 512 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 532 ... LastLast
Results 13,026 to 13,050 of 13403
  1. #13026

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    I'm saying that race is likely a factor.
    I figured. So, if Price were white, there would be no issue? WOW. In light of the ................ show Pomeranz has thrown up in 50% of his starts, if he were to go on a tirade against a media member, I really don't think their treatment of him would be any different.

  2. #13027

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post

    You STILL fail to recognize the essential point: I made my prediction WITHOUT the benefit of valuable statistical analysis. The analysis proves I was right. When I make a prediction, it's MY prediction. You don't have to like it and you don't have to accept it. I KNEW I was right, or I never would have made the prediction in the first place.

    You lost the debate. Admit it, and return another day.
    This is the last time I will ever respond to one of your awful posts, but that font color is just f*cking terrible. #ignore

  3. #13028
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Jerry Remy's cancer is back. That sucks. Wish him well in treatment.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  4. #13029
    Super Moderator matt2351's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manhattan, NY

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Lying isn't a virtue.
    Huh? I didn't catch your meaning here.

  5. #13030
    NYYF MVP

    chisox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Second City - Chicago

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Who is the woman singing during the closing credits?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VYk...outu.be&t=4292

    I see fields of green, Veeck's pinwheel lights
    Cubs lose by day, Sox win at night
    And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
    .

  6. #13031

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Porcello is who we knew he was. 6 IP, 10 H, 7 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO, 2 HR. ERA at 5.05; WHIP at 1.5 on the season.

  7. #13032

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    Porcello is who we knew he was. 6 IP, 10 H, 7 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO, 2 HR. ERA at 5.05; WHIP at 1.5 on the season.
    He's their Tanaka, but with slightly better stats and 1 more Cy Young award.

  8. #13033

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    He's their Tanaka, but with slightly better stats and 1 more Cy Young award.
    This year, absolutely. Over their career, Tanaka has been much better while Porcello has proven an average-at-best starter. That Cy Young was such BS, much like Pedey's MVP.

  9. #13034
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Porcello is more like their new Beckett. Except not as good.

  10. #13035

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    More like Meh-nintendi, amirite

  11. #13036

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Porcello is more like their new Beckett. Except not as good.
    Tanaka for Porcello? Would you do it?

  12. #13037
    Super Moderator matt2351's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manhattan, NY

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Tanaka for Porcello? Would you do it?
    Porcello is owed $42mil and Tanaka is owed $67mil. Porcello is bad, but not as bad as Tanaka. No way Red Sox make this deal.

  13. #13038

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    Porcello is owed $42mil and Tanaka is owed $67mil. Porcello is bad, but not as bad as Tanaka. No way Red Sox make this deal.
    Tanaka is a better pitcher than Porcello.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

  14. #13039
    Super Moderator matt2351's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manhattan, NY

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Tanaka is a better pitcher than Porcello.
    He isn't this year (which shows just how bad Tanaka has been because Porcello has been garbage) and his contract is longer and more expensive. If I have the chance to unload Tanaka's contract, I'm rolling the dice and getting rid of it. You obviously think Tanaka is going to bounce back, I am not really seeing that.

  15. #13040

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    He isn't this year (which shows just how bad Tanaka has been because Porcello has been garbage) and his contract is longer and more expensive. If I have the chance to unload Tanaka's contract, I'm rolling the dice and getting rid of it. You obviously think Tanaka is going to bounce back, I am not really seeing that.
    You expect Tanaka to be this bad? We already know who Porcello is, a back end starter. Tanaka, on the other hand, is, what, a Tier 2 ace/one of the best 2s? Give me Tanaka as well.

  16. #13041

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    He isn't this year (which shows just how bad Tanaka has been because Porcello has been garbage) and his contract is longer and more expensive. If I have the chance to unload Tanaka's contract, I'm rolling the dice and getting rid of it. You obviously think Tanaka is going to bounce back, I am not really seeing that.
    Forgive me for basing my thoughts on the pitcher's history and repertoire rather than the small sample in an out of context year.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

  17. #13042

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Forgive me for basing my thoughts on the pitcher's history and repertoire rather than the small sample in an out of context year.
    They've both been dreadful this year. Agree with you. Look at the careers. Tanaka clearly better
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place with you

  18. #13043
    Super Moderator matt2351's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manhattan, NY

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    You expect Tanaka to be this bad? We already know who Porcello is, a back end starter. Tanaka, on the other hand, is, what, a Tier 2 ace/one of the best 2s? Give me Tanaka as well.
    I did not expect him to be this bad, but I do now expect him to be this bad. I think he's not right physically and until that is dealt with, I can't see how an improvement manifests.

  19. #13044
    Super Moderator matt2351's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manhattan, NY

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Forgive me for basing my thoughts on the pitcher's history and repertoire rather than the small sample in an out of context year.
    This is only Tanaka's 4th season in MLB. He has missed huge chunks of time with his elbow issues in two seasons and has been terrible this season. He was pretty fantastic last year. Porcello has been more durable, but not as good, when on the field. He did win the CY Award last year. This all being said, I'm not basing my opinion as much on the past as much as the future and the opinion is largely based on $ and time. Porcello's contract is cheaper and shorter, so even if they both continue to suck, it's less impactful.

  20. #13045

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    I did not expect him to be this bad, but I do now expect him to be this bad. I think he's not right physically and until that is dealt with, I can't see how an improvement manifests.
    My bad--I meant to say "you expect Tanaka to be this bad going forward"? I agree with the thinking that something's not kosher with him physically, so that's why I am confident that he will go back to being the Tanaka of old. Porcello, on the other hand, I don't really expect to improve all that much.

  21. #13046
    Super Moderator matt2351's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manhattan, NY

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    My bad--I meant to say "you expect Tanaka to be this bad going forward"? I agree with the thinking that something's not kosher with him physically, so that's why I am confident that he will go back to being the Tanaka of old. Porcello, on the other hand, I don't really expect to improve all that much.
    It's crazy because he's been in the league so long, but Porcello is only 28. He just won a CY last year and he's been good for 27-33 starts per year for 8 straight seasons, so at least he eats innings. I can't say much more for him than that. I'm certainly not trying to say he's some great pitcher. Not at all. I just think Tanaka is so bad that I'd like out of that contract. But there is no way the Sox make that trade, which should answer the original question.

  22. #13047
    Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Bedford

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Porcello has certainly been a disappointment, but to be fair, he hasn't been nearly as bad as the Sox defense has made him look. He feasted last year on a combination of great fastball command and excellent defense behind him. He's had neither so far this season.

    For the record, I think even casual fans expected him to significantly regress this year. I'll admit right now that the extremity of his regression has surprised me, but the defensive situation has improved a great deal in recent weeks. With this in mind, I don't think he'll be as bad moving forward. If his fastball command improves, he could be significantly better than that. He certainly isn't going to have a great year at this point, but I think there's a good chance he'll do something similar to 2015 and bounce back after a horrible start.

  23. #13048

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    Porcello has certainly been a disappointment, but to be fair, he hasn't been nearly as bad as the Sox defense has made him look. He feasted last year on a combination of great fastball command and excellent defense behind him. He's had neither so far this season.

    For the record, I think even casual fans expected him to significantly regress this year. I'll admit right now that the extremity of his regression has surprised me, but the defensive situation has improved a great deal in recent weeks. With this in mind, I don't think he'll be as bad moving forward. If his fastball command improves, he could be significantly better than that. He certainly isn't going to have a great year at this point, but I think there's a good chance he'll do something similar to 2015 and bounce back after a horrible start.
    A pretty reasonable assessment.

  24. #13049

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    It's crazy because he's been in the league so long, but Porcello is only 28. He just won a CY last year and he's been good for 27-33 starts per year for 8 straight seasons, so at least he eats innings. I can't say much more for him than that. I'm certainly not trying to say he's some great pitcher. Not at all. I just think Tanaka is so bad that I'd like out of that contract. But there is no way the Sox make that trade, which should answer the original question.
    Tanaka is so bad this year. His career numbers are pretty darn good. He is having a putrid year, but I don't actually expect this to continue into next year.

  25. #13050
    Super Moderator matt2351's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manhattan, NY

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    Tanaka is so bad this year. His career numbers are pretty darn good. He is having a putrid year, but I don't actually expect this to continue into next year.
    May I ask why?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 24 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 23 guests)

  1. DrNick

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts