+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 564 FirstFirst ... 7 47 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 67 107 157 557 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 14082

Re: The Red Sox Thread (New and Improved)

some sort of rant from what i can tell

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    some sort of rant from what i can tell
    This.

NYYF HOF

Thank God football stats today, so I have a reasonable excuse to not watch these bastards. The Yanks are leaving the door wide open and we can't win a friggin game. I don't even care that much about the division, I would just like an assurance that we'll make the playoffs. But with the way they are playing right now, they'd get bounced quickly.

Win a game or 2, get healthy, and hopefully start the postseason fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by pjfan View Post
    Thank God football stats today, so I have a reasonable excuse to not watch these bastards. The Yanks are leaving the door wide open and we can't win a friggin game. I don't even care that much about the division, I would just like an assurance that we'll make the playoffs. But with the way they are playing right now, they'd get bounced quickly.

Win a game or 2, get healthy, and hopefully start the postseason fresh.
    Swap out a few names and you've got what a lot of Yankee fans are thinking. The only difference is that they're in better position in the standings, and therefore less likely to play themselves out of the playoffs. But they're banged up, they look like crap, and no Yankee fan would want the playoffs to start tomorrow.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

All of a sudden... the Sox aren't exactly a lock to make the postseason. They're only up 3 on the Rays, and still have four to go with them. I also don't think the Yankees are exactly inclined to "give it all they've got" if they get a spot locked up and have nothing to play for that last weekend

Quote Originally Posted by machphantom View Post
    All of a sudden... the Sox aren't exactly a lock to make the postseason. They're only up 3 on the Rays, and still have four to go with them. I also don't think the Yankees are exactly inclined to "give it all they've got" if they get a spot locked up and have nothing to play for that last weekend
    but how are the 2011 Sox gonna claim their rightful title as the best team of all time if they don't make the playoffs?

"My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

Kicking the Grim Reaper's Ass Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Current chances to make the playoffs:

Yankees: 99.1%
    Red Sox: 88.2%
    Rays: 11.4%

A week ago the Rays were at 0.1%
    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's
    2016 NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball League Champjons

The Rays probably have the toughest schedule of the 3 of us though.

Rays face:
    Yanks for 7, Sox for 4, Jays for 3, Os for 3, 1 day off

Yanks face:
    Sox for 3, Rays for 7, Jays for 3, Mariners for 3, Twins for 1, 1 day off

Sox face:
    Yanks for 3, Rays for 4, Jays for 2, Os for 7, 1 day off

they're gonna have to beat both the Yanks and the Sox if they wanna make it into the playoffs.
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post

Rays face:

Yanks face:

Sox face:

they're gonna have to beat both the Yanks and the Sox if they wanna make it into the playoffs.
    It's going to be a fun last couple of weeks with there being a total of 14 head-to-head games among the three teams in the next 17 days. In fact, starting Thursday, there is only one more day this season where there isn't a head-to-head game.

EDIT: also, the Sox better hope Beckett is ready to go real soon. Otherwise they have Miller, Weiland, Lester, and Wakefield going against Hellickson, Shields, Niemann, and Price.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post

Rays face:

Yanks face:

Sox face:

This is the only reason why I think the Red Sox will survive and make it into the playoffs. Even if they don't start Beckett or Lester in those series they should be able to beat the O's 6 of 7 games. Those 4 games vs. the Rays are dangerous though. After getting their clocks cleaned this weekend they better hope Beckett is back and pitching well for that series.

The Yankees will probably go 4-3 or 3-4 vs. the Rays. And 2-1 vs. the Red Sox.
    [FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They say his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand.”[/B]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Ernest Hemingway
    “The Old Man and the Sea”[/SIZE][/FONT]

Forum Regular

JD Drew apparently broke his finger in his first rehab start.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    This is the only reason why I think the Red Sox will survive and make it into the playoffs. Even if they don't start Beckett or Lester in those series they should be able to beat the O's 6 of 7 games. Those 4 games vs. the Rays are dangerous though. After getting their clocks cleaned this weekend they better hope Beckett is back and pitching well for that series.

The Yankees will probably go 4-3 or 3-4 vs. the Rays. And 2-1 vs. the Red Sox.
    Possibly, but if Beckett does not return their rotation is ATROCIOUS. Lester is the only pitcher who isn't downright bad, and even the O's can hit terrible pitching. If Becket is not there, I'd give two games to the Sox in games Lester starts of those 7, but would almost expect the O's to take two or three of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator's Shadow View Post
    JD Drew apparently broke his finger in his first rehab start.
    I wonder if his Red Sox career is done...

I seriously doubt the Red Sox will miss the playoffs...

Is it true that Beckett is going to try to pitch with a brace on his foot/ankle?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    Is it true that Beckett is going to try to pitch with a brace on his foot/ankle?
    I don't know but he's scheduled throw batting practice today so we should have a report today or tommorow on his status.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Even if Boston hangs on to make the playoffs, this team isn't going far. The pitching is just too atrocious to fix. They've been getting by on a two man rotation and a two man pen, and now there's cracks there as well. Fortunately I've been pretty distracted by football this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rice14 View Post
    Even if Boston hangs on to make the playoffs, this team isn't going far. The pitching is just too atrocious to fix. They've been getting by on a two man rotation and a two man pen, and now there's cracks there as well. Fortunately I've been pretty distracted by football this week.
    I hate that you're making me defend the sox. Lester/Beckett / that offense / little league ballpark / etc..... can carry a team in a short series. They'll be favorites over most teams.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I hate that you're making me defend the sox. Lester/Beckett / that offense / little league ballpark / etc..... can carry a team in a short series. They'll be favorites over most teams.

I dunno, Lester/Beckett will have to be really good every single start and get the ball directly to Bard/Papelbon each time. That's a lot to ask, especially if they could be matched up against guys like Verlander, Haren, Weaver, Sabbathia....

I'd love to be wrong, but I think they're a couple of arms short.

I dunno, Lester/Beckett will have to be really good every single start and get the ball directly to Bard/Papelbon each time. That's a lot to ask, especially if they could be matched up against guys like Verlander, Haren, Weaver, Sabbathia....

I'd love to be wrong, but I think they're a couple of arms short.
    Yeah, but Haren and Weaver are pitching in front of an offense that doesn't compare. Lester/Beckett are fully capable of shutting down another team. The offense could potentially slug their way to a few wins....etc...
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    They can easily go on a tear...li'l Dusty is in a horrible slump - the light switch will go on any day and the offense will wake up a bit....if I was a Sox fan, I would not be that worried. AT least they know who they want to pitch game 2..with us, my opinion changes weekly.

I know they're starting to sweat their playoff aspirations a bit, but if I'm Tito I don't let him back until he's healthy. If he's not right for the playoffs, there's no point in them getting there.

Unless of course Schilling has given him some ankle wear and tips of team motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I know they're starting to sweat their playoff aspirations a bit, but if I'm Tito I don't let him back until he's healthy. If he's not right for the playoffs, there's no point in them getting there.

Unless of course Schilling has given him some ankle wear and tips of team motivation.
    I wouldn't either..it's a slim chance they don't make it and they do probably need him in at least decent shape to go far...

If I were the Yankees, Texas and Detroit, I'd be adding in extra bunting practice.

NYYF Legend

meh after the Cardinals won the whole thing with a rotation of Carp & Crap I was convinced more than ever that the playoffs are a crapshoot.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Here's the brace story:

Josh Beckett could return to the Red Sox rotation as soon as next weekend, having successfully tested the stability of his sprained right ankle yesterday.

Beckett was on the field four hours before the Sox lost to the Rays last night, 6-5 in 11 innings. With his ankle in a brace, he threw from 120 feet and then tried a series of fastballs, changeups, and breaking pitches from 60 feet.

Beckett said the idea of throwing a bullpen session on Tuesday or Wednesday and then pitching in a game three days later is realistic as far as he is concerned.
    http://articles.boston.com/2011-09-1...kevin-youkilis

That has to feel a little odd, no?

NYYF HOF

Here's the brace story:

http://articles.boston.com/2011-09-1...kevin-youkilis

That has to feel a little odd, no?
    I've worn an ankle brace before and all it does is prevent or limit some lateral movement.
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cupcollector99 View Post
    I've worn an ankle brace before and all it does is prevent or limit some lateral movement.
    Pushing off the pitching rubber would be a lateral movement, no?
    "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.”—Hitman23

Thread Information