+ Reply to Thread
Page 556 of 558 FirstFirst ... 56 456 506 546 553 554 555 556 557 558 LastLast
Results 13,876 to 13,900 of 13928

Re: The Red Sox Thread

Quote Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
    That's politics. He also 'misspoke' about his Muslim faith (only person in the history of the world to accidentally misidentify his or her religion). Let's put this on the back burner and talk about the Red Sox, OK?
    Can you stop with the ridiculous claims? What's next, he's born in Kenya?

Save your comments for the Breitbart boards. They aren't appropriate here.

As well, The Red Sox don't have the pitching to get to the World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindleaddict View Post
    As well, The Red Sox don't have the pitching to get to the World Series.
    Depends on the match-up and if everyone is healthy. Like everyone else, Houston is beatable in a short series especially against a team like Cleveland. If Houston can get knocked out in the first round, it opens up the whole play-offs.
    Ask me about my groin pull.

Quote Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
    The president spent a lot of time in New Hampshire. The rest of the Northeast IS one big liberal pants party.
    That shouldn’t be a problem for Trump since he certainly not a Conservative. But then again liberals have never been very hospitable to White Nationalists and neo-Nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Chris Sale coming back as "opener". The plan is to throw 2 IP this start and add an inning each start every 5 days. Interesting concept to "build him back up" for the playoffs.
    That will have him up to 5 innings by the end of the season, assuming no set backs like his first start back. Not really where you want your Ace to be.

Please stop.

The buzz up here in New England via Boston is that their offense is struggling and that the team isn’t beating good teams. The fans and media are clearly worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    The buzz up here in New England via Boston is that their offense is struggling and that the team isn’t beating good teams. The fans and media are clearly worried.

Well I'll say this... In 1998, I knew how good we were. But I also will tell you that aside from the 2000 WS (for obvious bragging rights reasons) that postseason was about as nervous as I have been..

Simply put, when you have a season like that, you either win the world series or it becomes a footnote, and not a good one, in history.. Losing invalidates the whole season..

Last year the Yankees got knocked out in game 7 of the ALCS, of course we were dissappointed. But I know of no Yankee fan who would call 2017 a failure. As a matter of fact I'll go one step further and say that other than seasons which ended with a parade, that was the most satisfied I have been after any season in my life as a fan..

This Red Sox team is now title or bust. It's that simple, anything else would be abject failure. The 1998 Yankees sit amongst the pantheon of the greatest teams ever. Merely 3 years later the Mariners actually had a better regular season, something no one thought possible. But they are never mentioned alongside the 1998 Yankees or any of the great teams in history. The 2001 Mariners are a footnote, a ghost in the machine so to speak. Part of the litter of big time teams who did not finish the deal. The best of those who were not the best...

The pressure to win when you have a season like this is immense. To be honest, I'd rather win 100 games and the division and take my chances, than win 110-115 and have that pressure. Historic regular seasons means historic pressure in the postseason.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Well I'll say this... In 1998, I knew how good we were. But I also will tell you that aside from the 2000 WS (for obvious bragging rights reasons) that postseason was about as nervous as I have been..

Simply put, when you have a season like that, you either win the world series or it becomes a footnote, and not a good one, in history.. Losing invalidates the whole season..

Last year the Yankees got knocked out in game 7 of the ALCS, of course we were dissappointed. But I know of no Yankee fan who would call 2017 a failure. As a matter of fact I'll go one step further and say that other than seasons which ended with a parade, that was the most satisfied I have been after any season in my life as a fan..

This Red Sox team is now title or bust. It's that simple, anything else would be abject failure. The 1998 Yankees sit amongst the pantheon of the greatest teams ever. Merely 3 years later the Mariners actually had a better regular season, something no one thought possible. But they are never mentioned alongside the 1998 Yankees or any of the great teams in history. The 2001 Mariners are a footnote, a ghost in the machine so to speak. Part of the litter of big time teams who did not finish the deal. The best of those who were not the best...

The pressure to win when you have a season like this is immense. To be honest, I'd rather win 100 games and the division and take my chances, than win 110-115 and have that pressure. Historic regular seasons means historic pressure in the postseason.
    In the last 50 years there have been 23 seasons where a team/team has won over 100 games in a season.
    Only 8 times has the WS winner been the team with the most wins-

70 O's
    75 Reds
    76 Reds
    84 Tigers
    86 Mets
    98 Yanks
    09 Yanks
    16 Cubs

What will happen in 2018? The only teams that could have the best record in MLB this season are the Red Sox and Astros, but it would take a miracle for it to be the Astros. The odds for winning the WS just because you have the most wins? Not great. Only one team has done it in the 5 team WC era.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    In the last 50 years there have been 23 seasons where a team/team has won over 100 games in a season.
    Only 8 times has the WS winner been the team with the most wins-

70 O's
    75 Reds
    76 Reds
    84 Tigers
    86 Mets
    98 Yanks
    09 Yanks
    16 Cubs

What will happen in 2018? The only teams that could have the best record in MLB this season are the Red Sox and Astros, but it would take a miracle for it to be the Astros. The odds for winning the WS just because you have the most wins? Not great. Only one team has done it in the 5 team WC era.

Totally agree and the stats do not lie.. However, there is a difference between a 100 win season and a historic season.. Boston is having a historic season.. and that comes with added pressure...

The last time Boston won 100+ games was 1946. They are going to top their all time wins record by the time it is said and done and likely get to 110 win rareified air.. None of it will mean anything if they do not win it all.. The Yankees, if they do not win, will certainly be dissappointed, no doubt. But we are not close to putting anything regarding franchise history on the line..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Triple Crown

The silver lining to losing would be Betts, Bogaerts, Devers, Bradley, Benintendi,etc are really young and will be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    The silver lining to losing would be Betts, Bogaerts, Devers, Bradley, Benintendi,etc are really young and will be back.
    With all the young players on the Yankees - Judge, Didi, Andujar, Hicks, Sanchez, Torres, Severino, etc. - it looks like this rivalry has been revived for years to come.

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

With all the young players on the Yankees - Judge, Didi, Andujar, Hicks, Sanchez, Torres, Severino, etc. - it looks like this rivalry has been revived for years to come.
    I don't know. Bogey up for free agency after 2019, then Sale, Betts, and Bradley the next year. The Sox might have a shorter window here than most people realize.

I'm also praying to any deity that can hear me that Cora leaves Kelly and Hembree off the playoff roster. I thought his bullpen management was great for the majority of the season, but it has been steaming, soggy, dog ................ since about mid August. I've actually had to completely ignore baseball for a couple of 2-3 day stretches due to the pure, molten rage some of his moves have inspired the last six weeks.

The problem is he insists on inserting those two back into high leverage spots (and also unnecessarily rolling out Pomeranz in <4 run games, which is infuriating in a different sense) again and again. They'll spectacularly blow a couple, then he'll ease back, use them in low leverage situations for a week, and the second they make it 2 straights outings without having their lunch money taken, he rolls them right back out in a high leverage spot.

I get it. Kelly was fantastic the first two months, and Hembree was reliably good up until the All-Star Break, especially when it came to cleaning up messes. However, since the beginning of August, Hembree has a 7.50 ERA, a 1.75 WHIP, has allowed 10 of 16 inherited runners to score(!), has given up 5 home runs, and opponents have posted an OPS of 1.032 against him over 12 innings of work. Kelly has been slightly less bad, but for a much longer period of time. Since June 1, he has posted a 6.39 ERA, a 1.76 WHIP, and opponents are slashing .296/.387/.441/.828 against him. He isn't giving up any home runs, and not many doubles, either, which is noteworthy, but he is putting a ton of guys on for free (22BB, 3HBP over 38IP) and guys are squaring him up pretty well (29% LD) and racking up hits when he does find the plate.

If you exlude Pomeranz and the Gas Can Bros., this bullpen is still great. Maybe not as great as the Yankees and Astros pens, but good enough to compete with them (plus a bit better than Oakland and light years ahead of anything Cleveland can trot out, even with a healthy Miller). Our chances are much better right now with Kimbrel, Barnes, Velazquez, Wright, Brasier, Workman, Poyner, and whichever SP doesn't make the rotation than with any bullpen featuring the current versions of Joe Kelly and Heath Hembree. I will be absolutely ................ing livid if I see those two anywhere near our postseason roster.

The Red Sox team ERA ballooned to 4.32 for the month of September. Chris Sale did not look ready for the playoffs in his last outing, throwing 92 pitches but being unable to complete 5 innings while giving up 3 runs.

The Red Sox team ERA ballooned to 4.32 for the month of September. Chris Sale did not look ready for the playoffs in his last outing, throwing 92 pitches but being unable to complete 5 innings while giving up 3 runs.
    By-product of the large lead over NY and Houston.

The Sox have been holding open auditions for the play-offs since Labor Day which means guys like Cuevas are getting innings that they normally wouldn't. They're stretching out Sale like he's in Spring Training.

These next two games between NYY and Boston are going to closely resemble a Columbus vs. Pawtucket minor league game.
    Ask me about my groin pull.

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1979 View Post
    By-product of the large lead over NY and Houston.

The Sox have been holding open auditions for the play-offs since Labor Day which means guys like Cuevas are getting innings that they normally wouldn't. They're stretching out Sale like he's in Spring Training.

These next two games between NYY and Boston are going to closely resemble a Columbus vs. Pawtucket minor league game.
    That's true, but it's tough to ignore the fact that guys we absolutely need also haven't looked very good as we near the playoffs. Sale and E-Rod both appeared to have taken steps backward in their last couple appearances or so. Porcello has been awful since mid-August. While I don't put too much stock into this one, Price has also been shaky his last few starts. Barnes and Workman have both looked terrible recently as well, and if they aren't ready, you're putting an insane amount of pressure on Brasier and Poyner, who have zero playoff experience, to bridge the gap the Kimbrel.

There's a little bit of encouragement on the other side of the ball. JBJ has been good at the plate since late June. Holt and Bogey have each been on fire since early or mid August. Benny just busted out of a mini slump, and Mookie is on fire right now after busting out of his own slump about a week ago.

That being said, this is the most pessimistic I've felt about a playoff bound Sox team since 2009. I am just hoping that when the playoffs start, this team can be what they looked like for about 80% of the season. What I've seen since hasn't inspired much confidence.

So the last 14 years have been pretty good so the old stuff isn't quite so bad. But 12 year old me doesn't think too fondly 40 years today. I always said it was easy being a Red Sox fan in the Boston area but in the trenches in Connecticut halfway between Fenway and Yankee Stadium was tough. (not really but kids can be cruel). I remember racing home just in time to Yaz wrap one around the pole for an early lead. Being crushed on the little pop fly. And shocked Pinella was able to snag Remy's ball to right field. And heart broken on Yaz's pop up. Of course I thought they choked but I think a lot of people forget after blowing the lead they did win 7 in a row to close out the season to force the playoff. So while it sucked to lose it still a fun season and have a bunch of fond memories of going to games that summer with my dad and brothers.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/red-sox-are...es/c-297559354

It is time to admit that the Red Sox have surpassed the Yankees as a franchise?

For the better part of a century, the Yankees were better than the Red Sox. That was both an arithmetic fact and a cultural one -- the Yankees had the most World Series championships in MLB; the Red Sox had an 86-year curse.

And then, in 2004, the world shifted on its axis.

Now, in the shadow of an ALDS that saw Boston prevail over New York in the rivals' first October meeting in 14 years, we must reassess the situation. And, in doing so, there is only one real conclusion we can draw:

The Boston Red Sox franchise has surpassed the New York Yankees.

Note: This is the opinion of the writer, and does not reflect the position of Cut4 or MLB.com

Dakota Gardner has worked as an editor and a writer for MLB.com's Cut4 since 2013. He's also one of the hosts of the Cut4Cast.

NYYF Legend

^ Wait, Dakota is a guy? I thought that was a girl's name. Or rather, I thought that was the name of a state (two states) till it started turning up as a girl's name.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    ^ Wait, Dakota is a guy? I thought that was a girl's name. Or rather, I thought that was the name of a state (two states) till it started turning up as a girl's name.
    Why is Dakota 2 States?

In fact... Why is Dakota, Montana & Wyoming 4 States?
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

NYYF Legend

I always thought Dakota was a girls name. I have seen Dakoda used as a guy’s name.

$20 dollar get in price at fenway tonight. I dont care what the circumstances are, thats insane.
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Why is Dakota 2 States?

In fact... Why is Dakota, Montana & Wyoming 4 States?
    Easy ... so they can have twice as many senators as New York and California put together.

NYYF Legend

Easy ... so they can have twice as many senators as New York and California put together.
    Monkotming. Now.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gregzzy22 View Post
    $20 dollar get in price at fenway tonight. I dont care what the circumstances are, thats insane.
    A 4p Chiefs v Patriots 45 minutes up the road likely caused that price drop. What was it for? SROs?
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Thread Information