+ Reply to Thread
Page 547 of 564 FirstFirst ... 47 447 497 537 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 557 ... LastLast
Results 13,651 to 13,675 of 14082
  1. #13651
    Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Bedford

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Itís an idiotic move. If pedy or Moreland get hurt, who are they going to give the at bats too? Swihart?
    Bradley and Leon both starting hitting recently. Additionally, this opens up more playing time for Moreland, who is currently on fire, as well as allowing Holt (who has also been hitting very well) to continue getting a decent amount of playing time. Holt would otherwise have lost the majority of his playing time to Pedroia.

    It also allows the Sox to DH Martinez a lot more (which will be especially useful on the road), and possibly Devers occasionally if they decide to go that route. Cora might also finally find some way to get Swihart into games now.

    As to Hanley being a potential clubhouse cancer, it's actually the complete opposite. This move makes complete sense from a purely logical standpoint, but I'm kinda bummed about it on an emotional level. The guy kept the clubhouse loose, and the younger players all seemed to look up to him. He also seemed to really love being here, almost like he always wanted to be in the first place. He was very easy to like during his time here.

    Quite frankly, he seemed to be the heart and soul of the clubhouse. Make no mistake, this move is strictly about economy and performance. As much as I enjoyed his presence, you just can't pay another 22 million to a guy who was at or below replacement level for 2.3 of his 3.3 years on your team. It hurts now, but this was the right move.

  2. #13652

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    Bradley and Leon both starting hitting recently. Additionally, this opens up more playing time for Moreland, who is currently on fire, as well as allowing Holt (who has also been hitting very well) to continue getting a decent amount of playing time. Holt would otherwise have lost the majority of his playing time to Pedroia.

    It also allows the Sox to DH Martinez a lot more (which will be especially useful on the road), and possibly Devers occasionally if they decide to go that route. Cora might also finally find some way to get Swihart into games now.

    As to Hanley being a potential clubhouse cancer, it's actually the complete opposite. This move makes complete sense from a purely logical standpoint, but I'm kinda bummed about it on an emotional level. The guy kept the clubhouse loose, and the younger players all seemed to look up to him. He also seemed to really love being here, almost like he always wanted to be in the first place. He was very easy to like during his time here.

    Quite frankly, he seemed to be the heart and soul of the clubhouse. Make no mistake, this move is strictly about economy and performance. As much as I enjoyed his presence, you just can't pay another 22 million to a guy who was at or below replacement level for 2.3 of his 3.3 years on your team. It hurts now, but this was the right move.
    Bradley and Leon aren’t even every day players, and they play holt over free swinging Nunez.

    If pedy gets hurt, or Moreland, your going to give those ABs to swihart. This wasn’t a good move

  3. #13653
    Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Bedford

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    I also want to point out that none of that $22mil is likely going toward any big free agents. Kimbrel, Kelly, and Pomeranz are all free agents after this year, and Betts, Bogaerts, and Bradley are all up for arbitration.

    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Bradley and Leon arenít even every day players, and they play holt over free swinging Nunez.

    If pedy gets hurt, or Moreland, your going to give those ABs to swihart. This wasnít a good move
    Bradley hasn't literally played every day because our outfield is hopelessly crowded and his performance hasn't justified bending over backward to squeeze him in like they have with Betts. Even still, he's played 42 of our 50 games this season, and started 39 of those. The previous 2.5 seasons, he averaged a WAR between 3.5-3.7 per season (depending on if you prefer bWAR or fWAR). He's a starting player and there really isn't any reasonable argument to the contrary.

    What difference does it make if Leon isn't an everyday player? He's gonna get about 35% of the playing time behind the dish and at the bottom of our lineup. If he hits, that helps quite a bit.

    If Pedey gets hurt again, no, those ABs don't go to Swihart. That playing time goes to Holt and Nunez. If Moreland gets hurt, maybe, but Mitch isn't much of an injury risk and I'll take my chances there. Worst case scenario, we get to see what have or don't have in Swihart.

    Finally, you're wrong, Nunez gets WAY more playing time than Holt. Nunez has gotten almost 2 and half TIMES as much playing time as Holt, despite the fact that Holt is a better, more patient hitter, a much better defender up the middle, and more defensively versatile. No idea why that is. I have a couple guesses, but it's still a mystery to me. I wouldn't play Holt everyday because he's too fragile, but he should be getting slightly more playing time than Nunez instead of a ................ ton less.

  4. #13654
    Calls a tool a tool
    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Why not keep him, but don't give him the 497 ab's?

  5. #13655

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows View Post
    I also want to point out that none of that $22mil is likely going toward any big free agents. Kimbrel, Kelly, and Pomeranz are all free agents after this year, and Betts, Bogaerts, and Bradley are all up for arbitration.



    Bradley hasn't literally played every day because our outfield is hopelessly crowded and his performance hasn't justified bending over backward to squeeze him in like they have with Betts. Even still, he's played 42 of our 50 games this season, and started 39 of those. The previous 2.5 seasons, he averaged a WAR between 3.5-3.7 per season (depending on if you prefer bWAR or fWAR). He's a starting player and there really isn't any reasonable argument to the contrary.

    What difference does it make if Leon isn't an everyday player? He's gonna get about 35% of the playing time behind the dish and at the bottom of our lineup. If he hits, that helps quite a bit.

    If Pedey gets hurt again, no, those ABs don't go to Swihart. That playing time goes to Holt and Nunez. If Moreland gets hurt, maybe, but Mitch isn't much of an injury risk and I'll take my chances there. Worst case scenario, we get to see what have or don't have in Swihart.

    Finally, you're wrong, Nunez gets WAY more playing time than Holt. Nunez has gotten almost 2 and half TIMES as much playing time as Holt, despite the fact that Holt is a better, more patient hitter, a much better defender up the middle, and more defensively versatile. No idea why that is. I have a couple guesses, but it's still a mystery to me. I wouldn't play Holt everyday because he's too fragile, but he should be getting slightly more playing time than Nunez instead of a ................ ton less.
    As for the last paragraph, i agree with everything you said there. I meant to say the opposite of what I said... yes they do play Nunez way more than holt. Bradleyís defense is his best asset in a center fielder. He should be in there. Not Betts who isnít even close to the defensive center fielder Bradley is. Iím not even a JBJ fan, nor am I really enamored with below average hitters and great fielders.

    I donít see how this move makes the team better

  6. #13656

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Why not keep him, but don't give him the 497 ab's?
    To me that's even worse than DFA'ing him and I'm sure the MLBPA would be all over it. Also, a guy that was good in the clubhouse wouldn't be such a happy camper anymore. Sure, they could always point to Moreland being a superior defender at 1B and JD being a better option at DH, but it probably would have gotten ugly.

  7. #13657
    Calls a tool a tool
    Join Date
    Nov 2004

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    To me that's even worse than DFA'ing him and I'm sure the MLBPA would be all over it. Also, a guy that was good in the clubhouse wouldn't be such a happy camper anymore. Sure, they could always point to Moreland being a superior defender at 1B and JD being a better option at DH, but it probably would have gotten ugly.
    It would be very easy to justify giving ABs to Moreland and Martinez over Ramirez.

  8. #13658
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Pretty dumb move by Dumbrowski
    Quote Originally Posted by Martini6196 View Post
    Why would they do that? Makes no sense.
    Move was requested by Cora and it is to make room for Dustin Pedroia.
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

  9. #13659

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Move was requested by Cora and it is to make room for Dustin Pedroia.
    That's how they selling it, but I got to believe that decision was made higher than Cora's pay grade.
    Cashman: Death Star Fully Operational

  10. #13660
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    That's how they selling it, but I got to believe that decision was made higher than Cora's pay grade.
    Exactly. If you genuinely believe Cora made that decision, Iíve got some oceanfront property in Nebraska to sell you.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  11. #13661

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    To me that's even worse than DFA'ing him and I'm sure the MLBPA would be all over it. Also, a guy that was good in the clubhouse wouldn't be such a happy camper anymore. Sure, they could always point to Moreland being a superior defender at 1B and JD being a better option at DH, but it probably would have gotten ugly.
    It would be dumb if the MLBPA was all over it. He signed the contract. He had to know that this was a risk. The Sox didn't force him to sign it.

  12. #13662
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    That's how they selling it, but I got to believe that decision was made higher than Cora's pay grade.
    I definitely do not think it was Cora either. But it was definitely for Pedroia, he is being activated.
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

  13. #13663
    Hope is eternal
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Exactly. If you genuinely believe Cora made that decision, Iíve got some oceanfront property in Nebraska to sell you.
    Of course one would be an idiot to think a manager would make that call
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

  14. #13664

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Of course one would be an idiot to think a manager would make that call
    He easily couldíve made the request though

  15. #13665
    NYYF Triple Crown

    trentonthunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United States

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post

    I donít see how this move makes the team better

    Yes, this move doesn't make this years Red Sox team better. That is a given.


    What it does do is not allow HR to get enough AB's this year to guarantee his money that they'll need to sign other players next year and beyond.
    [

  16. #13666
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    May 2010

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    "The Red Sox now have, really what's been an elite 1 through 9 lineup. You're starting to see production from the bottom of the order now, from guys like Vazquez, and especially Sandy Leon, and Jackie Bradley Jr is looking a little better at the plate."

    - Alex Speier

  17. #13667
    2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS aeromac76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Huntington, NY

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Thanks Toronto. Great ankle grab. Now watch them come to NY and play like their lives are at stake.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

  18. #13668
    Hemi-Goodness DrNick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sunrise, FLA

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    "The Red Sox now have, really what's been an elite 1 through 9 lineup. You're starting to see production from the bottom of the order now, from guys like Vazquez, and especially Sandy Leon, and Jackie Bradley Jr is looking a little better at the plate."

    - Alex Speier



    You should be embarrassed for posting this


    Looking a little better from posting a .587 OPS and a 53 OPS+ suddenly makes you elite.
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    **This Space For Rent**

  19. #13669

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
    You should be embarrassed for posting this


    Looking a little better from posting a .587 OPS and a 53 OPS+ suddenly makes you elite.
    Yeah, just been ignoring the guy's posts. This one was a humdinger, though.

  20. #13670
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    May 2010

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Redsox Fans=" we have best offense in baseball. Moreland all star better than Yankees 1st baseman combine " yea right. They play 57 games with 303 runs and Yankees play 53 games with 299 runs

  21. #13671
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    May 2010

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Bill James Online


    @billjamesonline

    The Red Sox secret strategy is to force the Yankees to play 47 games in 28 days after the All Star break. . .

  22. #13672
    2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS aeromac76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Huntington, NY

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    Redsox Fans=" we have best offense in baseball. Moreland all star better than Yankees 1st baseman combine " yea right. They play 57 games with 303 runs and Yankees play 53 games with 299 runs

    First, pure numbers..
    Sox 5.32 runs per game, Yankees 5.64 runs per game.
    If we stopped right there the argument for the Sox offense being better than the Yankees would be rendered defeated.

    But let's go on for completeness sake..
    In the 53 games the Yankees have played, 7 of them have come against the Astros, whose starters and quite well known. That's a full 13% of our games having been played against a historically good rotation from a statistical standpoint. The Red Sox have played just one game against them, a less than 2% of their games, against that same pitching staff. I'll leave out the rest of the scheduling differences which would also favor us...

    The Sox have been carried by two players who are of course, exemplary offensive players in JD and Betts. There is no doubt it. But their offense is being carried by two players having insane, maybe even career, years.. Even if not, both of them are at the top of their game. If they get any better they are Ruth and Gehrig. Point being, their biggest producers are far more likely to come back down than to get better..
    The Yankees on the other hand.. Gardner has just recently started to hit.. Hicks has yet to get going. Sanchez and Stanton have been awful more often than not, Didi is channeling is inner Wayne Tolleson in May, we just got Bird back. Who on our team is really playing above their heads from an offensive standpoint? Judge is not well outside of his norms when healthy, Andujar we know can hit but he is not taking any walks at all.. The real regression candidate is Gleyber, and for all we know this could be who he is and he won't regress much..

    The overall point being.. we are already scoring more than them per game, and we have faced a far tougher set of pitchers than they have, and our lineup has far more improvement in it than theirs does.
    I think they are a great team, they are right there with us and the Astros. Their pen isn't bad, and I would take their rotation over ours every day of the week and twice on Sunday at this point. Team wise, they are well matched and virtually equals I think..

    But from a pure offensive standpoint? Not a chance..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

  23. #13673

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    First, pure numbers..
    Sox 5.32 runs per game, Yankees 5.64 runs per game.
    If we stopped right there the argument for the Sox offense being better than the Yankees would be rendered defeated.

    But let's go on for completeness sake..
    In the 53 games the Yankees have played, 7 of them have come against the Astros, whose starters and quite well known. That's a full 13% of our games having been played against a historically good rotation from a statistical standpoint. The Red Sox have played just one game against them, a less than 2% of their games, against that same pitching staff. I'll leave out the rest of the scheduling differences which would also favor us...

    The Sox have been carried by two players who are of course, exemplary offensive players in JD and Betts. There is no doubt it. But their offense is being carried by two players having insane, maybe even career, years.. Even if not, both of them are at the top of their game. If they get any better they are Ruth and Gehrig. Point being, their biggest producers are far more likely to come back down than to get better..
    The Yankees on the other hand.. Gardner has just recently started to hit.. Hicks has yet to get going. Sanchez and Stanton have been awful more often than not, Didi is channeling is inner Wayne Tolleson in May, we just got Bird back. Who on our team is really playing above their heads from an offensive standpoint? Judge is not well outside of his norms when healthy, Andujar we know can hit but he is not taking any walks at all.. The real regression candidate is Gleyber, and for all we know this could be who he is and he won't regress much..

    The overall point being.. we are already scoring more than them per game, and we have faced a far tougher set of pitchers than they have, and our lineup has far more improvement in it than theirs does.
    I think they are a great team, they are right there with us and the Astros. Their pen isn't bad, and I would take their rotation over ours every day of the week and twice on Sunday at this point. Team wise, they are well matched and virtually equals I think..

    But from a pure offensive standpoint? Not a chance..

    Superb analysis. Thanks for this.

  24. #13674
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    The Sox have been carried by two players who are of course, exemplary offensive players in JD and Betts. There is no doubt it. But their offense is being carried by two players having insane, maybe even career, years.
    No question these two have been great but...


    Mitch Moreland .980 OPS, 155 OPS+
    Andrew benintendi .902 OPS, 138 OPS+
    Xander Bogarts .852 OPS, 123 OPS+


    That's 5 of 9 regulars putting up all-star level offensive performance. It's not just 2 guys.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  25. #13675
    2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS aeromac76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Huntington, NY

    Re: The Red Sox Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    No question these two have been great but...


    Mitch Moreland .980 OPS, 155 OPS+
    Andrew benintendi .902 OPS, 138 OPS+
    Xander Bogarts .852 OPS, 123 OPS+


    That's 5 of 9 regulars putting up all-star level offensive performance. It's not just 2 guys.
    Agreed but these three are not performing at historical pace. No question they are good as well. But Betts and JD are the main reasons for the Sox being near the top of the food chain offensively.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 9 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 7 guests)

  1. EvanJ
  2. agent009

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts