+ Reply to Thread
Page 138 of 138 FirstFirst ... 38 88 128 135 136 137 138
Results 3,426 to 3,442 of 3442

Re: 2011 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

That should have cost Cashman his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Krall View Post
    Wow 2011?!? 9 years later and have we even developed home grown pitcher?

Phil Hughes retires...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ars-last-pitch

Thanks for the glimpse of greatness in Texas and your contributions toward the ring in '09!
    Those handful of innings were so exciting. I thought he was going to be the next Roger Clemens. And while he had a nice career, and played a material role on that '09 championship team, it was still a let down given the well-deserved hype and what my eyes saw in those first few innings in Texas.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Obnoxio View Post
    Along with a lot of other things over the years.

All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Obnoxio View Post
    In 29 other organizations, that would have been the case.

Not this one. He could help Reggie take out the Queen, and he'd still have job security for life.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Those handful of innings were so exciting. I thought he was going to be the next Roger Clemens. And while he had a nice career, and played a material role on that '09 championship team, it was still a let down given the well-deserved hype and what my eyes saw in those first few innings in Texas.
    One has to wonder what he would have become if he was on a team with good pitcher development like Houston, Tampa or Cleveland.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    One has to wonder what he would have become if he was on a team with good pitcher development like Houston, Tampa or Cleveland.
    I can't agree with this. My memories of Hughes are 1) he was consistently inconsistent, and 2) he was missing lots of time with injuries

At some point a star in the making has to "figure it out" - Hughes never really got to this mindset on a regular basis.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

You could say the same thing about Joba.

Hughes was a lot like Mussina towards the end of his career. He could put people away. He didn't miss enough bats to strike them out.

All Aboard the Cole Train!! Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I can't agree with this. My memories of Hughes are 1) he was consistently inconsistent, and 2) he was missing lots of time with injuries

At some point a star in the making has to "figure it out" - Hughes never really got to this mindset on a regular basis.
    Not sure if you saw his debut against Texas or followed him in the minors, but he was a very different pitcher - very reminiscent of Clemens IMO, before he went on the DL after his debut. The organization changed his mechanics to “protect him”, while rendering him a shell of who he used to be - just like Joba.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Not sure if you saw his debut against Texas or followed him in the minors, but he was a very different pitcher - very reminiscent of Clemens IMO, before he went on the DL after his debut. The organization changed his mechanics to “protect him”, while rendering him a shell of who he used to be - just like Joba.
    Hughes was spectacular that game at Texas.

He, like most Yankee pitching prospects, came out and looked like he could be an incredible pitcher, then through various improvements and tweaks, faded to mediocrity.

NYYF Legend

Yes I remember the Texas game it was very exciting. I can't remember much about Hughes' injuries and the Yankees tinkering with his mechanics so I can't really blame anyone - perhaps an injury really altered his future

Either way, I'm glad he had a good run for a few years and never has to pay for medical insurance coverage.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

He, like most Yankee pitching prospects, came out and looked like he could be an incredible pitcher, then through various improvements and tweaks, faded to mediocrity.
    Well looking at a big picture, there's more guys that fade than reach stardom.

Quote Originally Posted by sd. View Post
    Hughes was a lot like Mussina towards the end of his career. He couldn't put people away. He didn't miss enough bats to strike them out.
    Oops. Forgot the all important "n't"

Hughes couldn't put people away. I remember him getting ahead a lot. A lot of foul balls, and he'd have to come in the zone (or would make a mistake) eventually.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sd. View Post
    Hughes couldn't put people away. I remember him getting ahead a lot. A lot of foul balls, and he'd have to come in the zone (or would make a mistake) eventually.

I agree and remember this about Hughes. To me guys like Eovaldi, Pineda, Warren, and Phelps all had a similar issue.

Can't live without bread and butter

Well looking at a big picture, there's more guys that fade than reach stardom.
    Looking at the big picture, it's a 30 year theme in NY. I'm sure I'm missing someone but is Pettitte the last pitcher the Yankees developed that had a good career.

NYYF Legend

Looking at the big picture, it's a 30 year theme in NY. I'm sure I'm missing someone but is Pettitte the last pitcher the Yankees developed that had a good career.
    Pretty much yes. Unless Severino and German end up having long careers as Yankees starting pitchers.

Thread Information