+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10
    Importer-exporter

Re: The Blue Jays Thread

Looks like the Jays may play in Pittsburgh now. I guess when the Pirates are home on the same day they'll have to do day-night, 4-team doubleheaders. Coukd be a bit of a scramble for the clubhouse crews getting things changed over and cleaned.
    I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd, when they said "sit down" I stood up.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Looks like the Jays may play in Pittsburgh now. I guess when the Pirates are home on the same day they'll have to do day-night, 4-team doubleheaders. Coukd be a bit of a scramble for the clubhouse crews getting things changed over and cleaned.
    Nope, the state denied this. (the city where they will be playing next?) I still feel Buffalo is best. My local sports talk radio about Manchester, NH. Like Bronx, the minor leagues businesses are hurting. I think they are/were showing movies with dinner but I don't know if this is still going on?. (I still don't go out).

The Pennsylvania Department of Health announced Wednesday that they will not allow the Blue Jays to play their home games at PNC Park in Pittsburgh this season.

Importer-exporter

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Nope, the state denied this. (the city where they will be playing next?) I still feel Buffalo is best. My local sports talk radio about Manchester, NH. Like Bronx, the minor leagues businesses are hurting. I think they are/were showing movies with dinner but I don't know if this is still going on?. (I still don't go out).

The Pennsylvania Department of Health announced Wednesday that they will not allow the Blue Jays to play their home games at PNC Park in Pittsburgh this season.
    I saw that the guv and Pa. Health Department said no a few hours ago.

The problem with Buffalo from what I'm hearing is a) the lighting isn't up to MLB standards and b) the clubhouses in the Buffalo park are cramped minor league clubhouses dating to 1988 that don't really allow for social distancing. Some Buffalo civic types seemed pretty optimistic they could overcome that but sometimes civic types talk out of school.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post

Much nicer ballpark than the Rogers Centre.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow
    Person, woman, man, camera, TV

NYYF Legend

I heard the Jays are now considering Baltimore as a possible home park.

NYYF Legend

What about just making all of their home games road games and play as the home team in the opposing teams park?
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    What about just making all of their home games road games and play as the home team in the opposing teams park?
    They may end up doing that, but traveling the whole season would not be a great thing for them.

NYYF Legend

It's Buffalo!

"Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

so they finally settle on Buffalo and NY State has 3 mlb teams again for the first time since 1957!
    "Jerry, It's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner is here. George is dead. Call me back."

A top-rated SP prospect, Nate Pearson is having his debut today.

Before the season started (so, like 10 days ago), the Toronto media were talking about whether they'd hold him back a few days so that they'd have an extra year of control over him later on in his career. I'm not sure if anyone but dedicated BJ fans would know the answer to this, but is his start today jeopardizing that, or did they wait long enough? I thought he had to be out of the season for at least the first 10 games or something.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
    A top-rated SP prospect, Nate Pearson is having his debut today.

Before the season started (so, like 10 days ago), the Toronto media were talking about whether they'd hold him back a few days so that they'd have an extra year of control over him later on in his career. I'm not sure if anyone but dedicated BJ fans would know the answer to this, but is his start today jeopardizing that, or did they wait long enough? I thought he had to be out of the season for at least the first 10 games or something.
    They waited long enough. July 29th was the day to extend control.

He's pretty awesome.
    NYYFans FBBL: Babe's Blasts

RIP Pete Cheng; the commish will be missed.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    so they finally settle on Buffalo and NY State has 3 mlb teams again for the first time since 1957!
    Yankees, Toronto. Who is the third team?

Importer-exporter

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    trivia: If the Federal League had survived into a third season in 1916, New York State would have had 6 MLB teams that year. In 1914 and 1915 it had 5.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    trivia: If the Federal League had survived into a third season in 1916, New York State would have had 6 MLB teams that year. In 1914 and 1915 it had 5.
    Had the Federal league played a third season we would have had night baseball 20 years earlier. The Brooklyn Tip Tops erected light towers during the 1915 season with plans for night games in 1916.

Importer-exporter

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Had the Federal league played a third season we would have had night baseball 20 years earlier. The Brooklyn Tip Tops erected light towers during the 1915 season with plans for night games in 1916.
    This is true, I have seen a photo of Washington Park with the experimental light stanchions.

The original intent of the Federal League was to transfer their 1914 champ, the Indianapolis Hoosiers who had drawn poorly during their championship season, to New York for the 1915 season. But because Giants-friendly Tammany Hall political machine red-lined the crap out of them, the franchise had to locate for a year in Newark, NJ as the Newark Pepper for 1915. But the hope was that once the Pepper's wealthy and influential owner, oil magnate Harry Sinclair, worked out the necessary bribes with Tammany, they'd be able to build a ballpark at the extreme northern terminus of Fifth Avenue in Manhattan.

That would have given New York State 6 MLB teams for 1916: Giants (NL), Dodgers (NL), Yankees (AL), Brooklyn Tip-Tops (FL), Buffalo Blues (FL) and New York Pepper (FL).

Of course Sinclair was one of the owners that the established MLB targeted for a buyout to destroy the Federal League after 1915, and he took the deal., which sealed the FL's fate.

NYYF Legend

While I knew about the lights I have never seen a photo of Washington Park with those towers erected. There seem to be very few photos of Washington Park after it was rebuilt for the Federal League. I do know it was supposed to look similar to the one deck Federal League Park in Chicago which became Wrigley Field.

Thread Information