+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: The Blue Jays Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bobby jr
    That's what I said on the Blue Jays forum. What good does it do to finish above .500 if your team still never comes close to making the playoffs.

In my opinion the Blue Jays need a hard salary cap in order to succeed in the AL East. Toronto can be a great baseball city, used to lead the league in attendance. Fans get tired of seeing their team finish out of the running, especially if they sense the system is not a fair one.
    You go from fan forum to fan forum with this stuff?

Bobby Jr is a spam bot. I'm convinced.

That's what I said on the Blue Jays forum. What good does it do to finish above .500 if your team still never comes close to making the playoffs.

In my opinion the Blue Jays need a hard salary cap in order to succeed in the AL East. Toronto can be a great baseball city, used to lead the league in attendance. Fans get tired of seeing their team finish out of the running, especially if they sense the system is not a fair one.
    Toronto is a fickle city. If you don't win, they won't come.

Now, obviously that applies to teams who are not the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The feeling around the Jays is that they will never be able to build a perennially strong team. They'll have to catch lightning in a bottle and have a one-or-two year run. Free agency will destroy any team they build.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Yvonne
    You go from fan forum to fan forum with this stuff?
    I provided the link yesterday to a salary cap poll thread on the Blue Jays forum.

Yes I do go to forum to forum, I think this topic is important enough to discuss on more than one forum. you didn't think you guys had me all to yourselves did you?

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays
    Toronto is a fickle city. If you don't win, they won't come.

Now, obviously that applies to teams who are not the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The feeling around the Jays is that they will never be able to build a perennially strong team. They'll have to catch lightning in a bottle and have a one-or-two year run. Free agency will destroy any team they build.
    That is also the feeling among many Orioles fans in Baltimore. Although the Orioles have not been as successful as the Blue Jays, even if we were, I don't think there is any future for the team in the AL East.

There is no way a smaller market team such as Baltimore, Toronto, or Tampa, can ever beat the Yankees and Red Sox over the long term, going against that kind of payroll disadvantage. I don't expect Tampa to stay in the running very long. But the Yankees and Red Sox will always be there.

That is also the feeling among many Orioles fans in Baltimore. Although the Orioles have not been as successful as the Blue Jays, even if we were, I don't think there is any future for the team in the AL East.

There is no way a smaller market team such as Baltimore, Toronto, or Tampa, can ever beat the Yankees and Red Sox over the long term, going against that kind of payroll disadvantage. I don't expect Tampa to stay in the running very long. But the Yankees and Red Sox will always be there.
    Over 5 million people live in the Toronto metro area -- bigger than Atlanta, DC, Miami, Boston and Phoenix.

If you give them the rest of Ontario, their media market is bigger than Chicago's.

The Blue Jays could potentially be one of the Top 5 spending teams in baseball if they took advantage of their assets.

They were selling out SkyDome's 50,000 seats for years on end in the middle of the early 90s recession.

Crappy management has made them a second-rate organization - not insufficient revenue.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Mark19
    Over 5 million people live in the Toronto metro area -- bigger than Atlanta, DC, Miami, Boston and Phoenix.

If you give them the rest of Ontario, their media market is bigger than Chicago's.

The Blue Jays could potentially be one of the Top 5 spending teams in baseball if they took advantage of their assets.

They were selling out SkyDome's 50,000 seats for years on end in the middle of the early 90s recession.

Crappy management has made them a second-rate organization - not insufficient revenue.
    Majority who voted and who posted comments on the salary cap thread in Toronto would beg to disagree with you. 80% voted for a cap. While this is not a scientific survey, their comments are telling.

They seem to think that the Blue Jays main problem is payroll inequity and the lack of a salary cap, not poor management.

(It seems that I get a better reception for my ideas on other forums.)

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums...d.php?t=502303

"GOD YES. It will never happen though. Yankees will always outspend us by 100 mil yearly."

"Anyway, o as to the question. I do think one is needed. It is almost like we are mixing the big leagues and the minors. When the highest payroll team spends $206 million and the lowest is only spending $35 million, there's a problem. "

"Clearly the way it is isn't working."

"Absolutely. I don't care what some people say. With teams like the Yankees and Red Sox going out and getting whatever player is available for the highest possible price, all it's doing is giving that team an unfair advantage."

"As a sport if you are not going to at least STRIVE for RELATIVE competitive balance, what is really the point?"

NYYF MVP

Majority who voted and who posted comments on the salary cap thread in Toronto would beg to disagree with you.
    Actually, I don't think anything in that post addressed a single one of Mark's points...

NYYF Legend

Majority who voted and who posted comments on the salary cap thread in Toronto would beg to disagree with you. 80% voted for a cap. While this is not a scientific survey, their comments are telling.

They seem to think that the Blue Jays main problem is payroll inequity and the lack of a salary cap, not poor management.

(It seems that I get a better reception for my ideas on other forums.)

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums...d.php?t=502303

"GOD YES. It will never happen though. Yankees will always outspend us by 100 mil yearly."

"Anyway, o as to the question. I do think one is needed. It is almost like we are mixing the big leagues and the minors. When the highest payroll team spends $206 million and the lowest is only spending $35 million, there's a problem. "

"Clearly the way it is isn't working."

"Absolutely. I don't care what some people say. With teams like the Yankees and Red Sox going out and getting whatever player is available for the highest possible price, all it's doing is giving that team an unfair advantage."

"As a sport if you are not going to at least STRIVE for RELATIVE competitive balance, what is really the point?"

And chances are this will save your soul or break it forever

You were just given a reason why a team like Toronto lags far behind a team like the Yankees despite having the market to do so, and you ignore it and just give us comments from other people who agree with you. There are very few markets who have a legitimate shortage of fans to draw from, and those markets probably shouldn't have a baseball team, regardless of past success.

An internet poll with 28 participants = compelling evidence

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

A positive for the Jays today: Kyle Drabek threw a no-hitter for AA New Hampshire today. Faced one more than the minimum while walking 2.

NYYF Legend

A positive for the Jays today: Kyle Drabek threw a no-hitter for AA New Hampshire today. Faced one more than the minimum while walking 2.
    Just got back from the game. He looked awesome out there - first no-no I've ever seen live.
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

NYYF Cy Young

An internet poll with 28 participants = compelling evidence
    I didn't say it was compelling evidence, but their comments and opinions count just as much as yours. From what I have seen from posting on a couple of Toronto forums, most people who post there believe the economic system in MLB is handicapping their team.

As for Toronto being able to afford a bigger payroll I don't believe they could afford to outspend the Yankees or even the Red Sox.

As for "derailing" the thread, this thread was buried on the 4th page with the other dead threads, with no comments for a long time. I was surprised, because the Yankees are playing the Blue Jays yet there were no comments on the Blue Jays thread. I thought it an appropriate time to bring it up, especially since there was an ongoing discussion on the Blue Jays thread which concerned the economic issues facing their team, and that discussion indirectly involved the Yankees.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by MooseDaGun
    You were just given a reason why a team like Toronto lags far behind a team like the Yankees despite having the market to do so, and you ignore it and just give us comments from other people who agree with you. There are very few markets who have a legitimate shortage of fans to draw from, and those markets probably shouldn't have a baseball team, regardless of past success.
    It sounds like it bothers you that people on the Toronto forum pretty much agree with me. You can't expect that other forums would have the same perspective as a Yankee forum. The present system favors the Yankees, not the Blue Jays, so of course they will have different opinions about the need for reform.

It sounds like it bothers you that people on the Toronto forum pretty much agree with me. You can't expect that other forums would have the same perspective as a Yankee forum. The present system favors the Yankees, not the Blue Jays, so of course they will have different opinions about the need for reform.
    So how about you post more there and stop posting here?

[quote=bobby jr]It sounds like it bothers you that people on the Toronto forum pretty much agree with me. You can't expect that other forums would have the same
    Not only do you ignore the post I was referring to, but you ignore mine too and instead figure that I am simply "bothered" by the fact that you copy and paste posts from people agreeing with you. You sure love a good debate, don't you?

I didn't say it was compelling evidence, but their comments and opinions count just as much as yours. From what I have seen from posting on a couple of Toronto forums, most people who post there believe the economic system in MLB is handicapping their team.

As for Toronto being able to afford a bigger payroll I don't believe they could afford to outspend the Yankees or even the Red Sox.

As for "derailing" the thread, this thread was buried on the 4th page with the other dead threads, with no comments for a long time. I was surprised, because the Yankees are playing the Blue Jays yet there were no comments on the Blue Jays thread. I thought it an appropriate time to bring it up, especially since there was an ongoing discussion on the Blue Jays thread which concerned the economic issues facing their team, and that discussion indirectly involved the Yankees.
    Toronto has more people and a larger media market than Boston. It also has a bigger, nicer ballpark with far more luxury suites. They can afford to spend $150 million on payroll but they'd rather reap fat profits and field a mediocre team that costs less.

Toronto has more people and a larger media market than Boston. It also has a bigger, nicer ballpark with far more luxury suites. They can afford to spend $150 million on payroll but they'd rather reap fat profits and field a mediocre team that costs less.
    The Jays don't make much money, if any. They lost money a few years ago.

Can't imagine they're making money this year when they can barely draw 20,000.

The Jays don't make much money, if any. They lost money a few years ago.

Can't imagine they're making money this year when they can barely draw 20,000.
    Would you be willing to consider that if a properly ran team with a capable GM & scouting team, their fortunes can change for the good? With the changing good fortunes comes the fans. Firing Ricciardi's dumbass is a step in the right direction.

Money is a bigtime factor but it sure as hell isn't the only one. That is what bobby jr preaches, money = constantly succeeding regardless of evidence to the contrary.

thing is, they are in the al east. not sure how they will reach teh playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by awy
    thing is, they are in the al east. not sure how they will reach teh playoffs.
    They also said the Rays would never stop losing 100 games in the AL East....
    Don't look down here.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by DaPip1998
    They also said the Rays would never stop losing 100 games in the AL East....
    Nobody thinks the Rays will make the playoffs 14 out of 15 years as the Yankees have. Simply because their market size and payroll would make that impossible to happen.

What smaller market cities fans are craving for is an equal playing field and equality of opportunity in MLB.

NYYF Legend

Bobby, even you must get tired of posting the same exact post over and over, year after year.

Nobody thinks the Rays will make the playoffs 14 out of 15 years as the Yankees have. Simply because their market size and payroll would make that impossible to happen.

What smaller market cities fans are craving for is an equal playing field and equality of opportunity in MLB.
    A fan doesn't have the right to win a championship or even make the playoff. They DO have the right to demand the ABILITY to compete with the 'big boys'. Tampa, Minnesota and Oakland are 3 examples of franchises that have shown the ability to compete for more than 1 year at a time since the late 90's.

Kansas City, Pittsburgh and yes, the Orioles, have been mismanaged beyond all belief for the last decade that no amount of $$ would have fixed.
    Don't look down here.

Thread Information