+ Reply to Thread
Page 779 of 781 FirstFirst ... 279 679 729 769 776 777 778 779 780 781 LastLast
Results 19,451 to 19,475 of 19516
    NYYF Legend

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    I remember Brandon Claussen making his MLB debut against the Mets and pitching really well. I was high on him because I so badly wanted them to have a homegrown stud pitcher. I was super mad when they dealt him at the trading deadline for...

Aaron Boone
    When the trade went down I heard it on the radio and I was extremely upset. It seems like Cashman had zero interest in developing a homegrown pitcher.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Out of idle curiosity, I checked Claussen's MLB stats. He played part of three seasons for Cincy (2004-2006).

Including his one start for the Yankees in '03:

W-L 16–27
    ERA 5.04
    Strikeouts 228 (316 innings pitched)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    The infield in my formative years was Johnny Ellis at first, Horace Clarke at scond, Gene Michael at SS, Jerry Kenny at 3B, and Jake Gibbs behind the plate. Most Yankee fans have not experienced that level of futility.

So you missed out on Len Boehmer (sp?/) at 1B? Or the next Mickey Mantle - Steve Whitaker - in the OF? Or Roger Repoz? Or Lou Clinton? Or Ruben Amaro, Mike Hegan, Mike Ferraro, Frank Tepedino, Mike Barker, Frank Fernandez, Tony Solaita (the next great Yankee HR hitter), Bill Robinson (who later had a decent career with the Phils or Pirates), Ron Blomberg (the great Jewish hope), Jim Lyttle (sp???), and dozens of others who I can't quite recall now. And this is besides the pitching staff.

Boy, was the Farm System rotten in those days.

Oh, the mid 1960s to the early 1970s were rough man. Just rough. And there were a few winning years in there.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    June 24, 1970. Tony Horton, though, not Willie. Two batters later, Hamilton did the hesitation thing, but then threw a fastball (instead of the Floater) by Roy Foster for a strike out. That same day, Bobby Murcer hit four consecutive home runs, split between games in a doubleheader.

I was in box seats, about a dozen rows behind the third base dugout. Best day at the ballpark EVER.

I was at that game also, and almost fell out of my seat when Hamilton threw that "floater". It looked real slow. It had to throw off the timing of any hitter, even if they were expecting it. If someone tried that today, it would set Statcast back a few years.

NYYF Legend

I remember that doubleheader like it was yesterday. If I'm not mistaken Hamilton's hesitation pitch was called the "hesitation hummer".

I thought it was called the "Folly Floater"

Make the Yankees great again!!

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    He was known for the "folly floater" . But he had another pitch in which he hesitated during his windup as if he was going to throw a folly floater and then threw a fastball. The hesitation pitch was called the "hesitation hummer".

NYYF Legend

So you missed out on Len Boehmer (sp?/) at 1B? Or the next Mickey Mantle - Steve Whitaker - in the OF? Or Roger Repoz? Or Lou Clinton? Or Ruben Amaro, Mike Hegan, Mike Ferraro, Frank Tepedino, Mike Barker, Frank Fernandez, Tony Solaita (the next great Yankee HR hitter), Bill Robinson (who later had a decent career with the Phils or Pirates), Ron Blomberg (the great Jewish hope), Jim Lyttle (sp???), and dozens of others who I can't quite recall now. And this is besides the pitching staff.

Boy, was the Farm System rotten in those days.

Oh, the mid 1960s to the early 1970s were rough man. Just rough. And there were a few winning years in there.

Not that rotten. Farm system also produced Roy White, Stan Bahnsen, Thurman Munson, Fritz Peterson & Bobby Murcer. Blomberg was a decent hitter too.

NYYF Legend

He was known for the "folly floater" . But he had another pitch in which he hesitated during his windup as if he was going to throw a folly floater and then threw a fastball. The hesitation pitch was called the "hesitation hummer".

I was at that game too and watching the Folly Floater was unbelievable. But I don't remember ever hearing another of his pitches called the Hesitation hummer. By the way that was a memorable DHalso because Murcer hit 4 HRs in it. 3 came in the second game.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Speaking of Ellis, one of the best baseball fights I ever saw was a fight that broke out between the Yankees and Indians. I think it started when Sudden Sam McDowell slid in hard at 2nd base and knocked the crap out of Stick Michael.

Ellis took on about half of the Indians team and was knocking them down like bowling pins. I mean, Ellis went "complete Psycho", one minute he was at the bottom of a pile of players and next minute, that pile of humanity exploded and bodies were flying everywhere and there were John Ellis fighting the Indians team like he was in a WWF Battle Royal Match.
    Was that the same fight where Vada Pinson sucker-punched Stan Bahnsen and laid him out? 1970 I think.

Frank Messer used to call Ellis "The New London Strong Boy" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    Cashman traded Mike Lowell for Ed Yarnall, Mark Johnson, and Todd Noel. Just a horrific trade.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/02/02/sp...-pitching.html
    In retrospect Scott Brosius' career year in 1998 and monster MVP performance against the Padres in the World Series might actually have hurt the team in the long haul. They would have won in 1998 with Joe Shlabotnik playing third, but all the jolly feelings brought about by Brosius' miracle year landed him a 3-year deal, after which he reverted to his journeyman self. I distinctly remember that going into that year, he was regarded as a one-year stopgap to keep the chair warm for Lowell.

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    I remember Brandon Claussen making his MLB debut against the Mets and pitching really well. I was high on him because I so badly wanted them to have a homegrown stud pitcher. I was super mad when they dealt him at the trading deadline for...

Aaron Boone
    I saw Claussen pitch at Yale Field in 2001 for the visiting Norwich Navigators who were then the Yankees AA team. He looked overpowering, I was very excited. But the Yankees pitched him something like 185 innings that year between A and AA ball. Can you even imagine a team doing that today? Of course he hurt his arm the next year ... seems like 100 years ago that a team would treat a prime prospect like that but it was only 16.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Not that rotten. Farm system also produced Roy White, Stan Bahnsen, Thurman Munson, Fritz Peterson & Bobby Murcer. Blomberg was a decent hitter too.
    Right, plus the now-forgotten Steve Kline, who was a solid sinkerball pitcher for a few years until he blew out his arm. Real problem was CBS ownership, ran the franchise on a shoestring and wouldn't acquire "expensive" talent (back then that meant $75-$125K a year, still too pricey for cheapskate CBS). The beginning of my long love-hate relationship with George Steinbrenner was "love" when he came in and took a crowbar to the organization's wallet.

NYYF Legend

From the Dickson Baseball Dictionary:

Hesitation Hummer - A pitch developed by New York Yankee Steve Hamilton that started with the slow delivery of the "folly floater" but "hummed" in as a fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Thanks for posting this.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Was that the same fight where Vada Pinson sucker-punched Stan Bahnsen and laid him out? 1970 I think.

Frank Messer used to call Ellis "The New London Strong Boy" lol.

In retrospect Scott Brosius' career year in 1998 and monster MVP performance against the Padres in the World Series might actually have hurt the team in the long haul. They would have won in 1998 with Joe Shlabotnik playing third, but all the jolly feelings brought about by Brosius' miracle year landed him a 3-year deal, after which he reverted to his journeyman self. I distinctly remember that going into that year, he was regarded as a one-year stopgap to keep the chair warm for Lowell.

I saw Claussen pitch at Yale Field in 2001 for the visiting Norwich Navigators who were then the Yankees AA team. He looked overpowering, I was very excited. But the Yankees pitched him something like 185 innings that year between A and AA ball. Can you even imagine a team doing that today? Of course he hurt his arm the next year ... seems like 100 years ago that a team would treat a prime prospect like that but it was only 16.

Right, plus the now-forgotten Steve Kline, who was a solid sinkerball pitcher for a few years until he blew out his arm. Real problem was CBS ownership, ran the franchise on a shoestring and wouldn't acquire "expensive" talent (back then that meant $75-$125K a year, still too pricey for cheapskate CBS). The beginning of my long love-hate relationship with George Steinbrenner was "love" when he came in and took a crowbar to the organization's wallet.
    Yes, Steve Kline was pretty good too. And you are right about CBS refusing to spend money. I remember at the trade deadline back in 1972 when the only player we were alowed to get was Casey Cox.

Ummmm... Yeah... no comment..

Well let me make one, in the last year the Yankees have traded for Kahnle, Robertson, Frazier, Sonny Gray and now Giancarlo Stanton.

and he still has Gleyber Torres and Clint Frazier.

A++++++++++++++++++

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    Ummmm... Yeah... no comment..

Well let me make one, in the last year the Yankees have traded for Kahnle, Robertson, Frazier, Sonny Gray and now Giancarlo Stanton.

and he still has Gleyber Torres and Clint Frazier.

A++++++++++++++++++
    Clint might not be here much longer. Hopefully Cashman can get a good starting pitcher for him.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Clint might not be here much longer. Hopefully Cashman can get a good starting pitcher for him.
    That just means he gets a good starting pitcher too lol.

wrong thread

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

I don't understand how this makes any sense at all.

It takes Sanchez out of DH on off days and in the event we can improve defense behind the plate.
    It doesn't address pitching needs
    It hurts hopes of getting us under LT threshhold
    Who is going to play 2B now?
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    I don't understand how this makes any sense at all.

It takes Sanchez out of DH on off days and in the event we can improve defense behind the plate.
    It doesn't address pitching needs
    It hurts hopes of getting us under LT threshhold
    Who is going to play 2B now?
    1) I think they'll give Sanchez enough DH opportunities. I think the defense will start improving by spring training.

2) We will address pitching with or without Stanton. This deal has nothing to do with it

3) We have enough room to be under $197M with Stanton

4) Torres

Quote Originally Posted by nyy42 View Post
    1) I think they'll give Sanchez enough DH opportunities. I think the defense will start improving by spring training.

2) We will address pitching with or without Stanton. This deal has nothing to do with it

3) We have enough room to be under $197M with Stanton

4) Torres
    Forgot about Torres; good point there.

We have about $13M less dollars to get a starting pitcher. Whatever is left is basically going to go to CC. So we basically have no more money (maybe 2M?). I guess our rotation is CC, Tanaka, Serevino, Montgomery and Gray?

We need to get rid of Ellsbury, even if means it only takes $8-10M AAV off the table. Someone has to want him for $8M a year, right?

Forgot about Torres; good point there.

We have about $13M less dollars to get a starting pitcher. Whatever is left is basically going to go to CC. So we basically have no more money (maybe 2M?). I guess our rotation is CC, Tanaka, Serevino, Montgomery and Gray?

We need to get rid of Ellsbury, even if means it only takes $8-10M AAV off the table. Someone has to want him for $8M a year, right?
    The sticking point with Ellsbury is he doesn't want to waive his no trade clause.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    The sticking point with Ellsbury is he doesn't want to waive his no trade clause.
    I'm guessing especially now that he's on the WS favorite team.

I'm guessing especially now that he's on the WS favorite team.
    Ellsbury is going to make about 170M in his career. If I was him I would stick it out with the Yankees to see if I can win some more WS championships. It's a no-brainer for any player that is going to be 37 years old at the end of his current contract.

It's nice to have desirable minor league chips to deal and have talented young players coming up the pipeline to the big club. I wish George had that kind of patience.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Thread Information