+ Reply to Thread
Page 777 of 781 FirstFirst ... 277 677 727 767 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 ... LastLast
Results 19,401 to 19,425 of 19516
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    I don't agree at all, not with him being directed to get under the cap. I suppose signing Otani potentially could make a big impact, but that will depend on Otani's preferences, not on Cashman's work ethic. Otherwise, Cashman is probably going to have to spend mostly on staying even in the starting rotation. If the Yankees do better next year, it will be because of more contributions from younger players from their system.

The next off season might be "defining," however.
    I don't understand this line of thinking at all. We have 2 elite.....err 3 elite players. There are less than 10 teams that have that. There are possibilities available that won't deter the future.

Trade for Votto and Profar. Go internal for pitching if we don't get Othani.

The offense and defense will be too elitish to the point that we don't have to make decisions on trading for pitching until the deadline unless we have to.

Sign one of Harper or Machado in 19.

What am I missing? Thats a team that the analytic team of Houston would just resign over.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    I don't understand this line of thinking at all. We have 2 elite.....err 3 elite players. There are less than 10 teams that have that. There are possibilities available that won't deter the future.

Trade for Votto and Profar. Go internal for pitching if we don't get Othani.

The offense and defense will be too elitish to the point that we don't have to make decisions on trading for pitching until the deadline unless we have to.

Sign one of Harper or Machado in 19.

What am I missing? Thats a team that the analytic team of Houston would just resign over.
    I have no interest in trading for a first baseman that turns 35 next season and is still owed 157M through 2023 including the 7M buyout for 2024.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Trade for Votto
    Ells for Votto!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I have no interest in trading for a first baseman that turns 35 next season and is still owed 157M through 2023 including the 7M buyout for 2024.
    Welcome back!

NYYF Legend

Apologies for failure to read back in this thread, time is precious, but did I read that Gleyber is being targeted for 3rd? Why? We can't displace butterfingers Castro at the defensively crucial up-the-middle 2B slot? If they're not sold on Andujar being ready yet, why not Gleyber at 2B and stash Castro at 3rd (he'd have a whole spring training to prep) until and unless such time as Andujar is ready, then trade Castro? Asking for a friend.

NYYF Legend

wow time catches up to you. had no idea Votto was that old. PASS.

NYYF Legend

Cashman is BA's 2017 Executive of the Year.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/majo...wxjhVhtA2E2.97

Hire them. Empower them. Don't suffocate them.

That is Brian Cashman's way of handling his staff. It's a way that's paid off.

The Yankees outperformed expectations by winning 91 games. They took the Red Sox to the final weekend in the AL East and went to Game Seven of the ALCS before falling to the eventual world champion Astros. Their eight prospect-packed domestic clubs produced a winning percentage of .602, the best in the sport.

In each case moves made by Cashman played a big part, which is why Cashman is Baseball America's 2017 Major League Executive of the Year.
    Long quotes from everyone important in the Yankees FO at the link.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post

Not too long ago I was one of the few Cashman supporters on this site. Something tells me, I have a lot more company today than two years ago.

NYYF Legend

It would be interesting to see how Denbo does in the Marlins and would be fun if he compares Jeter to Cashman later.

Make the Yankees great again!!

Not too long ago I was one of the few Cashman supporters on this site. Something tells me, I have a lot more company today than two years ago.
    For a very long time I was not a Cashman supporter mostly because for many years under his watch the minor league system/player development was a dumpster fire. No excuses, he owns that failure. However, I do try to be objective with my opinions and I posted a few months ago that Cashman has absolutely killed it the last few seasons, especially with trades. He has won almost every trade and in some cases comitted grand larceny. And of course the farm is in much better shape. So he deserves credit for the recent sucess and I hope he keeps it up.

Its odd that everyone is dishing out kudos for exceeding expectations last year and the field manager was let go.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Its odd that everyone is dishing out kudos for exceeding expectations last year and the field manager was let go.
    He was let go because he and Cash didn't get along after working together for the last ten years. It happens, some business relationships deteriorate over time and a divorce is the final outcome.

NYYF Legend

Well it could all blow up for Cashman if the new buddy buddy manager can't motivate this oozing talent team. I was one of the Cashman haters but I admin he has done a spectacular job in the past 2-3 years minus Ellsbury.

Congrats to Cashman. He's great when the Steinbrenners and Levine let him do his job. Been saying this for a while.

NYYF Legend

He was let go because he and Cash didn't get along after working together for the last ten years. It happens, some business relationships deteriorate over time and a divorce is the final outcome.
    Based on what Hal said and how the club is operated as described by Cashman, I suspect that it's more than just the conflict between Cashman and Girardi.

Full disclosure, I am one of those who wanted him gone a couple years back and am full on Cash fanboy now. Admit it fully, and I am happy to have been wrong..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

I have no inside knowledge, I only know what has been reported. Both Cashman and Giradi have publicly denied any rift. Reporters who have a pipeline to Cashman (i.e Jack Curry, Joel Sherman, etc.) have stated they were unaware of a problem between the two. So I'm left to wonder was there really a rift or did Girardi push back now and then and Cashman decided he wants someone who doesn't push back at all? What has gotten out is there was a difference of opinion re: Chris Carter, Girardi did not want him on the team which was at odds with the baseball OPs people. Again, no inside information on my part, I just find it odd that there could be a rift between the two and nothing has come out from anyone to validate that.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Well it could all blow up for Cashman if the new buddy buddy manager can't motivate this oozing talent team. I was one of the Cashman haters but I admin he has done a spectacular job in the past 2-3 years minus Ellsbury.
    The really bad contracts wren't even him, to my understanding. A-rod, Ellsbury, etc.

Obviously, the Farm is in great shape. He's been crushing it with trades. A few to note:
    The Miller + Betances sign, trade and resign.
    He got Swisher for peanuts, who batted .268/.367/.483/.850 with a 124 OPS+ while earning less than $8MM/AAV (backloaded to add icing to the cake).
    Didi for Chad Green
    Castro for basically nothing
    He got us D-rob back and Kahnle for peanuts (along with a useful frazier)
    He had a lot of great non-moves, like not resigning Cano to a huge contract (yes, he's been playing fine, but that contact would have crippled us, and the 1.4WAR he has on Castro isn't worth $15MM right now as we try to get under lux-cap)

I had to look back to 2009 to find a deal I didn't like: Phil Coke, Austin Jackson and Ian Kennedy to the Detroit Tigers for Curtis Granderson. That one stung.

I don't think the Chapman deal will look good in 2 years, but we'll see.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Based on what Hal said and how the club is operated as described by Cashman, I suspect that it's more than just the conflict between Cashman and Girardi.
    Or Hal is just publicly backing up his GM. TBH, I suspect both of them just grew tired of whatever conflict and decided that ten years was long enough and wanted a new manager to handle the next era of great Yankee teams.

I have no inside knowledge, I only know what has been reported. Both Cashman and Giradi have publicly denied any rift. Reporters who have a pipeline to Cashman (i.e Jack Curry, Joel Sherman, etc.) have stated they were unaware of a problem between the two. So I'm left to wonder was there really a rift or did Girardi push back now and then and Cashman decided he wants someone who doesn't push back at all? What has gotten out is there was a difference of opinion re: Chris Carter, Girardi did not want him on the team which was at odds with the baseball OPs people. Again, no inside information on my part, I just find it odd that there could be a rift between the two and nothing has come out from anyone to validate that.
    I don't think it's odd at all. Cashman usually operates in ninja mode without revealing his real thoughts, unless, it's to his advantage to do so. I think Cashman still respects Girardi and considers him a fine manager, but just not the manager he wants to deal with any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    He's been crushing it with trades. A few to note:
    How about picking up Bobby Abreu and Corey Lidle for CJ Henry, Jesus Sanchez, Carlos Monasterios and Matt Smith?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    How about picking up Bobby Abreu and Corey Lidle for CJ Henry, Jesus Sanchez, Carlos Monasterios and Matt Smith?

that was an excellent trade, although the Phils interest in dumping Abreu's salary helped facilitate that one.

For a very long time I was not a Cashman supporter mostly because for many years under his watch the minor league system/player development was a dumpster fire. No excuses, he owns that failure. However, I do try to be objective with my opinions and I posted a few months ago that Cashman has absolutely killed it the last few seasons, especially with trades. He has won almost every trade and in some cases comitted grand larceny. And of course the farm is in much better shape. So he deserves credit for the recent sucess and I hope he keeps it up.
    Ditto. My major criticism of cashman were player development and being a reactionary rather than proactionary org. Seems like everything's headed in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    Ditto. My major criticism of cashman were player development and being a reactionary rather than proactionary org.
    This was exactly how I felt as well. It remains to be seen how player development will be impacted with Denbo's defection to the Marlins.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    This was exactly how I felt as well. It remains to be seen how player development will be impacted with Denbo's defection to the Marlins.
    I doubt it impacts it all as the guys that really did the work in player development are still there.

Thread Information