+ Reply to Thread
Page 776 of 782 FirstFirst ... 276 676 726 766 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 ... LastLast
Results 19,376 to 19,400 of 19535

Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by JeterForPresident View Post
    Those big money big year deals are disasters waiting to happen, basically ticking time bombs. You have to know you're paying for several years of crap to get a few years of great play.

Teams should stop giving out those absurd deals but as long as at least one team is still willing to do it, others will have to be willing to match I guess.

The Ellsbury deal, while I like Ells, that never really made sense to me. I didn't care at the time because its not my money but now that the team is intent on getting under the luxury tax, which I agree with, now it kinda sucks.

Agree. Would love to have Harper but I'm passing if its more than 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JeterForPresident View Post
    Those big money big year deals are disasters waiting to happen, basically ticking time bombs. You have to know you're paying for several years of crap to get a few years of great play.

Teams should stop giving out those absurd deals but as long as at least one team is still willing to do it, others will have to be willing to match I guess.

The Ellsbury deal, while I like Ells, that never really made sense to me. I didn't care at the time because its not my money but now that the team is intent on getting under the luxury tax, which I agree with, now it kinda sucks.
    Depends on the player. Alex's Texas 10 year deal was worth it ( The issue was giving him another 19 year deal 6 years into it )...as was Dereks 10 year deal. Those players were rare, just like Harper. And by virtue of cracking the big leagues early, hitting free agency at 26 years of age is a gold mine.

I think you get in trouble when you sign the deal and hope that a player either becomes something or returns back to being something. Ellsbury and Heyward fall into that category.
    Or in Pujols and Canos case. You sign a player who is already the wrong side of 30.

I have to question whether paying Harper is the best use of resources. With a core of young players, the Yankees had the 2nd best offense in the league this year. How many more runs do they need to win games?

We've been down this road before. When the Yankees traded for ARod, they got the best player in baseball. He put up great numbers and won 2 MVPS. How many championships did that bring them over the next decade? One.

IMO, the big problem with the that ARod decade was the lack of pitching. Putting all that money into Harper could bring the same results. I'd much rather have the money to build and maintain a top flight pitching staff over the next decade.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    I have to question whether paying Harper is the best use of resources. With a core of young players, the Yankees had the 2nd best offense in the league this year. How many more runs do they need to win games?

We've been down this road before. When the Yankees traded for ARod, they got the best player in baseball. He put up great numbers and won 2 MVPS. How many championships did that bring them over the next decade? One.

IMO, the big problem with the that ARod decade was the lack of pitching. Putting all that money into Harper could bring the same results. I'd much rather have the money to build and maintain a top flight pitching staff over the next decade.
    Which pitchers did the Yankees miss out on specifically because of A-rod's salary?

Yeah I'd rather they invest in top flight SP too if given the choice but you have to go with whats available sometimes and sometimes that offense on the open market.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Signing Alex wasn't the issue. The issue was Brown, Pavano, Wright etc...when they finally signed a top flight pitcher of a decent age, they immediately won a title.
    Christ, how much was wasted on Farnsworth? imagine if we had developed relievers like we do now ( Green...D-Rob...Betances pre-meltdown ), back in 2005-06.

Some players are too special to pass up. Harper is one of them, if we have the money to do it of course.

To this I say, why not both? Judge, Sanchez, and Severino are all going to be cost controlled for a number of years. There is a lot of money coming off the books shortly, and the Yankees plan to be a luxury tax team once again after the one year dip under.

There's nothing stopping them from signing Harper AND pitching.

The way I look at it is they are in a position now to sign either Harper or Machado and then get pitching on top of that. If you asked me last year, I'd have said they needed to get both Harper/Machado. But now, it's a matter of which of these two young stars Cashman thinks is best for the team. To me part of the question is who are the yankees higher on: Clint Frazier in left or Andujar at third (assuming Torres eventually takes over 2nd). I am not convinced the answer is Frazier, although it very well might be.

Something else to keep in mind is that with Harper's star power, much of his $$$ will be made back in ticket/merchandise sales. Even though they may pay Harper 35 million a year, as a Yankee in the NY market the team will get millions back.

Regarding ARod..It wasn't just pitching that was the problem. He was a terrible postseason player for the Yankees pretty much every season (except 2009 and 2004). I partly blame the fans for that though..He was playing in a hostile environment both at home and on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    To this I say, why not both? Judge, Sanchez, and Severino are all going to be cost controlled for a number of years. There is a lot of money coming off the books shortly, and the Yankees plan to be a luxury tax team once again after the one year dip under.

The way I look at it is they are in a position now to sign either Harper or Machado and then get pitching on top of that. If you asked me last year, I'd have said they needed to get both Harper/Machado. But now, it's a matter of which of these two young stars Cashman thinks is best for the team. To me part of the question is who are the yankees higher on: Clint Frazier in left or Andujar at third (assuming Torres eventually takes over 2nd). I am not convinced the answer is Frazier, although it very well might be.

Something else to keep in mind is that with Harper's star power, much of his $$$ will be made back in ticket/merchandise sales. Even though they may pay Harper 35 million a year, as a Yankee in the NY market the team will get millions back.

Regarding ARod..It wasn't just pitching that was the problem. He was a terrible postseason player for the Yankees pretty much every season (except 2009 and 2004). I partly blame the fans for that though..He was playing in a hostile environment both at home and on the road.
    The idea that ARod was a bad postseason player is a myth that simply isn't true. You can look it up. Did he have bad series? Sure. Did Bernie? Paulie? Jeter? Mantle? Yes. Yes. Yes. And yes. ARod was always the lightning rod who took the blame what things went wrong. It was pitching failures that cost the Yankees in those postseasons. Not ARod.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Judge is the face of the franchise. There isn't a single player you can bring in through FA that will change that.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Baseball teams don't really make that much off star calibers through merchandise/ticket sales. Harper definitely won't be having a bigger impact in that regard over Judge, no one is, really.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Baseball teams don't really make that much off star calibers through merchandise/ticket sales. Harper definitely won't be having a bigger impact in that regard over Judge, no one is, really.
    Of course they do. The better the players you have, the better the team you have and the more tickets you sell because you have a good, explosive team.

Put them in the team together. Time for us to become bullies again.

I didn't say he'd have a bigger impact than Judge. You will see a lot of 34 Jerseys though and people will go to see him. He is the 2nd best player in baseball and you're underestimating his popularity. They won't get the full 35 million back from Jerseys/Tickets, but my point is that with a fan base as large as the NYY, star power helps pay for itself in many ways.

The idea that ARod was a bad postseason player is a myth that simply isn't true. You can look it up. Did he have bad series? Sure. Did Bernie? Paulie? Jeter? Mantle? Yes. Yes. Yes. And yes. ARod was always the lightning rod who took the blame what things went wrong. It was pitching failures that cost the Yankees in those postseasons. Not ARod.
    It is not a myth that Arod underperformed in the postseason. Here are his career numbers:

330 PA 13 HR .259 BA .822 OPS

Is that terrible? No, it's not awful, but it's not what you'd expect from one of the greatest regular season hitters of all time statistically (and one who we now know was on steroids for much of his career). Also, 6 of those home runs were in 2009. His numbers for Seattle were also good in the postseason, so if you take his stats as a Yankee alone in the postseason they were probably even worse.

Some people are at their best in October, while others have trouble when the stakes get higher. Clutch is a real thing. Like I said before, I think the vitriol that Yankee fans and the media directed at him probably contributed to this. I've never seen anyone else who got booed every time he struck out.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Agree. Would love to have Harper but I'm passing if its more than 7 years.
    harper would be 26 if the yanks sign him... harper would have to play left field if he want's to be a yankee...

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankeefan4life View Post
    harper would be 26 if the yanks sign him... harper would have to play left field if he want's to be a yankee...
    So put him in left.

NYYF Legend

Well, it depends. It may be counter-intuitive, but there is a case that the superstar provides a better Return On Investment on otherwise lackluster teams. It's a lot cheaper to bay big bucks to one guy and cheap out on 24, if lots of people will come out to see the one guy do his thing. Think about ARod on the Rangers, Ichiro on Seattle, Mattingly on the crappy Yankee teams, etc. The same player, making the same bucks on a good, expensive team, probably has a lower marginal economic contribution because his presence will generate fewer additional fannies in the seats than if he were not there. Lots of people first decide to buy a jersey, then decide whose name they want. So just because x sells so many jerseys, doesn't mean those are all additional marginal sales.

I saw a business school class do the ARod/Texas Rangers case (yes, it's a published Harvard Business School case) and that's where the class took the numbers. Even though the cost was huge to put him on a crappy team, the payback was there. I found it persuasive.

It may be why Seattle could outbid the Yanks for Canó. Worth more to them...
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

It is not a myth that Arod underperformed in the postseason. Here are his career numbers:

Is that terrible? No, it's not awful, but it's not what you'd expect from one of the greatest regular season hitters of all time statistically (and one who we now know was on steroids for much of his career). Also, 6 of those home runs were in 2009. His numbers for Seattle were also good in the postseason, so if you take his stats as a Yankee alone in the postseason they were probably even worse.

Some people are at their best in October, while others have trouble when the stakes get higher. Clutch is a real thing. Like I said before, I think the vitriol that Yankee fans and the media directed at him probably contributed to this. I've never seen anyone else who got booed every time he struck out.
    A-Rod regular season wRC+ 141
    A-Rod post season wRC+ 116

Jeter regular season wRC+ 119
    Jeter post season wRC+ 121

So basically, in the playoffs, A-Rod hit like a regular season version of Derek Jeter.
    “Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    A-Rod regular season wRC+ 141
    A-Rod post season wRC+ 116

Jeter regular season wRC+ 119
    Jeter post season wRC+ 121

So basically, in the playoffs, A-Rod hit like a regular season version of Derek Jeter.
    Derek Jeter was not a career .259 hitter last time I checked. By any measure (even the one you provide above) Arod was not close to himself in October.

NYYF Legend

Bring me Gleybar da gawwd and a real DH.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Derek Jeter was not a career .259 hitter last time I checked. By any measure (even the one you provide above) Arod was not close to himself in October.
    there is more to hitting than BA.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

They did in ARod's case. Doesn't happen often, but it does if the star is big enough and grabs a lot of attention.

Bernie Williams - 545 PA, 22 HR, .275 BA, .850 OPS
    Tino Martinez - 405 PA, 9 HR, .233 BA, .672 OPS
    Yogi Berra - 295 PA, 12 HR, .274 BA, .811 OPS
    Joe DiMaggio - 220 PA, 8 HR, .271 BA, .760 OPS

Yeah, you could never win with players who hit like that in the postseason. Joe D not a clutch hitter? Yogi? Bernie?

My comment about the ARod postseason rap being a myth was not directed at numbers but at the fact that time after time when the Yankees lost in the postseason, the blame was placed on ARod when rarely was that the case. That's why people say he underperformed, because he didn't get them more championships. It's not because he didn't put up bigger numbers.

BTW, I have no idea what steroids has to do with this. Seems like a gratuitous comment. Nor do I see why anyone would want to focus only on his Yankee stats to evaluate his effectiveness in the postseason.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Pro, middle, or Anti Cash.

I would assume everyone would agree that this is the defining offseason that will determine if the Yankees will rule the AL with an iron fist or get lucky once in awhile over the next decade.

Get to work Brian.

Registered Account Donnybaseball72's Avatar

Doesn't Cashman need a new contract first?

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post

I would assume everyone would agree that this is the defining offseason that will determine if the Yankees will rule the AL with an iron fist or get lucky once in awhile over the next decade.

Get to work Brian.
    Well, it is probably NEXT off season that will the defining one, but the framework should continue with this off season, in preparation for next. Need to get under the cap while improving the team. Tough task to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post

Get to work Brian.
    I don't agree at all, not with him being directed to get under the cap. I suppose signing Otani potentially could make a big impact, but that will depend on Otani's preferences, not on Cashman's work ethic. Otherwise, Cashman is probably going to have to spend mostly on staying even in the starting rotation. If the Yankees do better next year, it will be because of more contributions from younger players from their system.

The next off season might be "defining," however.

Thread Information