+ Reply to Thread
Page 279 of 781 FirstFirst ... 179 229 269 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 289 329 379 779 ... LastLast
Results 6,951 to 6,975 of 19516
  1. #6951

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    We'll see if Cash is right about Aceves. If his back goes out and he's gone for the yr Cashman will be praised but if Ace succeeds than Brian will catch heat.

  2. #6952
    NYYF Legend

    goin for 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    the 450k was definitely a factor. sorry to say.

    it may not make sense when viewed with moves like soriano etc, but look at their behavior on the IFA and such it becomes more understandable.
    Do not agree. It was their thought that he would not be able to get healthy.

    The Yanks released Aceves on 12/2.

    How much would the Yanks have paid Aceves if they showed patience on his injuries, and waited until today to release him?
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

  3. #6953

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofkings19 View Post
    We'll see if Cash is right about Aceves. If his back goes out and he's gone for the yr Cashman will be praised but if Ace succeeds than Brian will catch heat.
    It depends on how much he succeeds and what happens with the pitchers on the Yankees roster.

    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...an_aceves.html

  4. #6954

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    It depends on how much he succeeds and what happens with the pitchers on the Yankees roster.

    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...an_aceves.html
    True if our guys don't do well and Yankees need a spot starter or a long man in the pen it will be worse because he could have filled either role.

  5. #6955

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofkings19 View Post
    True if our guys don't do well and Yankees need a spot starter or a long man in the pen it will be worse because he could have filled either role.
    True, and I agree. I find it all odd considering that this is the same GM who once signed an injured Jon Lieber to a 2 year/$3.4 million contract to sit home and rehab for a full year, and traded for older and much more expensive pitchers with back issues much worse than Aceves. At something like $800k, Aceves was low risk, high reward. To put it into perspective, that's how much they're paying Burnett for less than two starts.

    Moving forward, I expect Brackman will get a shot at this role at some point this year. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do against major league hitters.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  6. #6956
    Rawger in Jawge's Bawx ArodEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    True, and I agree. I find it all odd considering that this is the same GM who once signed an injured Jon Lieber to a 2 year/$3.4 million contract to sit home and rehab for a full year, and traded for older and much more expensive pitchers with back issues much worse than Aceves.
    Or signs Dotel to a one year $2 million contract just to recover and rehab from TJ surgery, yet didn't offer him a contact for the following year when he'd naturally be healthier and able to pitch. Gotta love that silly prankster Brian Ca$hmoney!



  7. #6957
    Released Outright awy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    Do not agree. It was their thought that he would not be able to get healthy.

    The Yanks released Aceves on 12/2.

    How much would the Yanks have paid Aceves if they showed patience on his injuries, and waited until today to release him?
    the timing of the release was to allow him to seek opportunities elsewhere. it's professional courtesy. however, the decision of whether to release him or not is a matter of resource allocation.

  8. #6958
    NYYF Legend

    goin for 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    the timing of the release was to allow him to seek opportunities elsewhere. it's professional courtesy. however, the decision of whether to release him or not is a matter of resource allocation.
    Not a chance. The Yanks did not believe that Aceves would even be throwing yet. (He threw 3 more innings yesterday in a ST game, never mind just throwing)

    If the Yanks believed that he would be doing that right now, he would be on the Yankees.

    The money is a complete afterthought. Again, if they were more patient, how much would the Yanks have paid Aceves to this point?
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

  9. #6959

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    The original recovery time was estimated at 12 weeks which would have ended just as ST began. At the very worst he would have been available by May. The money involved was less than what they paid Randy Winn last year.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  10. #6960

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    True, and I agree. I find it all odd considering that this is the same GM who once signed an injured Jon Lieber to a 2 year/$3.4 million contract to sit home and rehab for a full year, and traded for older and much more expensive pitchers with back issues much worse than Aceves. At something like $800k, Aceves was low risk, high reward. To put it into perspective, that's how much they're paying Burnett for less than two starts.

    Moving forward, I expect Brackman will get a shot at this role at some point this year. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do against major league hitters.
    Cashman has definitely had an eventful off season from the Jeter negotiation to Lee telling them thanks but not thanks(Cashman doesn't take the blame for that but I feel it was a shock to the system) to the Joba fiasco, etc.

    Yep Brackman will more than likely get his feet wet this season. With everyone raving about Man Ban and Betances, Brackman has been overlooked. I can't wait to see what he has to offer.

  11. #6961
    Released Outright awy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    Not a chance. The Yanks did not believe that Aceves would even be throwing yet. (He threw 3 more innings yesterday in a ST game, never mind just throwing)

    If the Yanks believed that he would be doing that right now, he would be on the Yankees.

    The money is a complete afterthought. Again, if they were more patient, how much would the Yanks have paid Aceves to this point?
    of course if they believed that he can pitch then they would have signed him. this does not conflict with the idea of cost being a factor.

  12. #6962
    NYYF Legend

    goin for 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    of course if they believed that he can pitch then they would have signed him. this does not conflict with the idea of cost being a factor.
    No. If they believed he could pitch, they would never have released him.

    Cost being a factor is beyond absurd here.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

  13. #6963

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    It has nothing to do with money, they only wanted Aceves under their terms which was a minor league contract.

  14. #6964
    NYYF Legend

    goin for 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    It has nothing to do with money, they only wanted Aceves under their terms which was a minor league contract.
    Thank you.

    I also believe that this was a blunder. (Unless Aceves re-injures himself) First, you don't release a guy and try to re-sign to a Minor League deal, unless you have an agreement in place. Yanks thought that Aceves would not begin to throw until about now. They also probably thought that they would have Pettitte, and were confident that they would have Lee. All turned out to be wrong. (However, Aceves is the only player of the three that they could have controlled.

    The only othe reason to try the strategy that they did, would be if they had tremendous restrictions on the 40 man, and needed every available slot.

    Does anyone here really think that having Daniel Turpen, Robert Fish, or Steve Garrison is a better use of a roster spot here?

    Yanks mis-judged Aceves ability to rehab. Hopefully it does not bite them.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

  15. #6965

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post

    Yanks mis-judged Aceves ability to rehab. Hopefully it does not bite them.
    Bite them? I think it's extremely unlikely that the Yankees not having Aceves, or the Sox acquisition of him is going to amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things.
    ~John

  16. #6966

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by ring403 View Post
    Bite them? I think it's extremely unlikely that the Yankees not having Aceves, or the Sox acquisition of him is going to amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things.
    Yup, I think some of us are overestimating his impact.

  17. #6967
    NYYF Legend

    goin for 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by ring403 View Post
    Bite them? I think it's extremely unlikely that the Yankees not having Aceves, or the Sox acquisition of him is going to amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things.
    I don't disagree, but that is no excuse for being sloppy. Again, I don't think Aceves even pitches for the Sox for a few months, they are set in their rotation and pen. However, I DO think that if Aceves is sharp, he could have helped us early. Who cares if Aceves was stretched out, made 3 or 4 effective starts, and his arm fell off? Would have been great potential value, that's all...
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

  18. #6968
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    The original recovery time was estimated at 12 weeks which would have ended just as ST began. At the very worst he would have been available by May. The money involved was less than what they paid Randy Winn last year.
    Remember though... he has to get healthy and STAY healthy. Will be interesting to watch.

  19. #6969

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Remember though... he has to get healthy and STAY healthy. Will be interesting to watch.
    There you go....

  20. #6970

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Remember though... he has to get healthy and STAY healthy. Will be interesting to watch.
    Not only that, you also have to factor in the performance of the player(s) who are pitching the innings that Aceves would have before you can determine whether the Yankees are better, worse, or the same for having chosen not to offer him a major league deal.
    Time will indeed tell.
    ~John

  21. #6971

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    If you think this had anything at all to do with money, I don't know what to say.

    He was making $450K. Do you really think that the Yanks wanted him, but wanted to re-sign him to a Minor League deal with say $200 guaranteed?

    Come on, it is the NYY's.... $450K is a joke.

    They thought that he was done, released him, learned he was up and throwing again, and tried to sign him. That was a mistake.

    They could have optioned him to the minors, freed up the 25 man spot, and released him today, end of ST, etc, if he could not come back.

    It is not the end of the world, but it was a blunder. If Aceves is effective, it will hurt that much more. (that he is not on the Yanks, I could care less that he wound up with the Sox)

    I don't expect to see him until they need spot starting, etc, but still....


    How many times do I have to say the option is irrelevant? The 25 man roster doesn't matter in the offseason.
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

  22. #6972

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Remember though... he has to get healthy and STAY healthy. Will be interesting to watch.
    No doubt, but a low risk ($1 mil), high reward pitcher like Aceves is one you don't let walk away unless you're 100% sure he can't perform.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  23. #6973

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by bmxstreetrider86 View Post
    How many times do I have to say the option is irrelevant? The 25 man roster doesn't matter in the offseason.
    The option is anything but irrelevant because he would have been able to spend as much time as necessary in the minors without having to go through waivers.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  24. #6974

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    The option is anything but irrelevant because he would have been able to spend as much time as necessary in the minors without having to go through waivers.
    The reason he wasn't tendered a contract was because they wanted the roster spot, which is why they offered him a minor league deal. Optioning him doesn't get them that roster space
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

  25. #6975

    Re: Brian Cashman Performance Thread 2.0

    Quote Originally Posted by bmxstreetrider86 View Post
    The reason he wasn't tendered a contract was because they wanted the roster spot, which is why they offered him a minor league deal. Optioning him doesn't get them that roster space
    Surely they didn't value Sanchez, Fish, Turpen, or Garrison over Aceves.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 8 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 7 guests)

  1. batboy99

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts