Closed Thread
Page 2 of 294 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Red Sox Thread Version 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebot
    Not even close. The hockey team really was the little engine that could and not just some media created facsimile of it. And...USA! USA! I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but Red Sox nation is not a real country.
    Awesome.

And Rice, pop culture remembers 1986 because of Buckner's failure, not the Mets' accomplishment.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    damn.
    tsk tsk John

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rice14
    but the average baseball fan has been so beaten over the head with that image, that moment has become far more memorable than anything that happened in the actual Game 7.
    I don't think this helps your case that much, Rice.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

If the site runs better with smaller threads, why wait so long to start over? Would anyone have minded a new thread several hundred pages ago?

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    If the site runs better with smaller threads, why wait so long to start over? Would anyone have minded a new thread several hundred pages ago?
    And mess with the "Thread of the Decade"?

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee
    And mess with the "Thread of the Decade"?
    It was the little thread that could.

Quote Originally Posted by pjfan
    It was the little thread that could.
    I have to vacuum the grit out of my keyboard after each visit.

NYYF HOF

I mean, really, considering the small amount of resoures we, the Red Sox thread has, we really didn't stand a chance against the "interesting baseball news items that do not warrant their own thread" thread. Let alone the "New York Mets" thread.

Nobody believed in us, but we got it done. Easily the best story of nyyfans 2009.

We are Red Sox thread nation.

The rationale for all the accolades heaped upon the 2004 Red Sox is due to all the nonsense about ending "the curse".

This of course should have no relevancy in a discussion about who the best team was since, this whole "curse" business manifested itself from the inability to explain, or delving into it a little deeper even, the cognitive dissonance associated with answering the question, "How is it even humanly possible for one team to fail for so long?".

Having said that, the part that really chaps my ass in all of this is the notion that the 2004 Sox were somehow darlings, underdogs, or lovable losers. Let's put things in their proper perspective.

The 2003 Red Sox were a powerhouse that scored 961 runs and managed 95 wins in a division with a Yankee team that many still associated with the great dunasty teams of the late 90s-00. They were on the verge of defeating that team in the ALCS were it not for bloop hits, bad managing, and the usual collapse when it matters, aka "the curse".
    Now (Red Sox fans, here's where you have to pretend you're a fan of another team for just a sec) you take that team and you trade a bag of sh!t for one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball at the time in Schilling, you buy the AL's top saves man in Foulke, and you graduate Moneyball's "Greek God of Walks" to the ML club in Youkillis.
    That's what you got going into '04.

Do you honestly think somewhere a Twins fan was sitting in his living room watching the '04 Sox and thinking to himself "Man, I hope these guys can pull this off. This will be a victory for underdogs everywhere!!!"?

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by SODM
    The rationale for all the accolades heaped upon the 2004 Red Sox is due to all the nonsense about ending "the curse".

This of course should have no relevancy in a discussion about who the best team was since, this whole "curse" business manifested itself from the inability to explain, or delving into it a little deeper even, the cognitive dissonance associated with answering the question, "How is it even humanly possible for one team to fail for so long?".

Having said that, the part that really chaps my ass in all of this is the notion that the 2004 Sox were somehow darlings, underdogs, or lovable losers. Let's put things in their proper perspective.

The 2003 Red Sox were a powerhouse that scored 961 runs and managed 95 wins in a division with a Yankee team that many still associated with the great dunasty teams of the late 90s-00. They were on the verge of defeating that team in the ALCS were it not for bloop hits, bad managing, and the usual collapse when it matters, aka "the curse".
    Now (Red Sox fans, here's where you have to pretend you're a fan of another team for just a sec) you take that team and you trade a bag of sh!t for one of the top 5 pitchers in baseball at the time in Schilling, you buy the AL's top saves man in Foulke, and you graduate Moneyball's "Greek God of Walks" to the ML club in Youkillis.

Do you honestly think somewhere a Twins fan was sitting in his living room watching the '04 Sox and thinking to himself "Man, I hope these guys can pull this off. This will be a victory for underdogs everywhere!!!"?

That's about my thoughts, better put than I could've ever. Well done.

That was absolutely fantastic, SODM. Next time a Sox fam tries to regurgitate the lovable loser tag, the response should simply be a link to your post.

AJ, the floor is yours....
    Metallica. Screaming crowd. Jog to the mound. Game over. - Chad Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    OK. I vow to not ever post in this thread. Just as I have vowed to never post in any of the previous incarnations.
    I'm gonna hold you to that. Of course, you could circumvent that by creating another incarnation and posting under a different handle. That would be unprecedented.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by President Kennedy
    That was absolutely fantastic, SODM. Next time a Sox fam tries to regurgitate the lovable loser tag, the response should simply be a link to your post.
    I don't think it has anything to do with being lovable losers, or as someone else pointed out earlier, the White Sox in 2005 ended even more futility. It had been 88 years without a Championship for the White Sox, and in fact it had been 46 years since either Chicago team had even been in the World Series, let alone winning one.

But rationalize it anyway you want....blame it all on Joe Torre or bad hops....but the 2004 Red Sox did something that had never before happened in the history of baseball and has not happened since. It is a feat so rare as to have only happened twice in the history of hockey, and has never happened in the sport of basketball. Coming from behind down 3-0 in the ALCS is remarkable...no team in baseball history had ever come back to even tie up a series after being down 3-0. I believe it is that accomplishment that gave them the nod from these particular evaluators in this subjective category.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyK8
    I don't think it has anything to do with being lovable losers, or as someone else pointed out earlier, the White Sox in 2005 ended even more futility. It had been 88 years without a Championship for the White Sox, and in fact it had been 46 years since either Chicago team had even been in the World Series, let alone winning one.

But rationalize it anyway you want....blame it all on Joe Torre or bad hops....but the 2004 Red Sox did something that had never before happened in the history of baseball and has not happened since. It is a feat so rare as to have only happened twice in the history of hockey, and has never happened in the sport of basketball. Coming from behind down 3-0 in the ALCS is remarkable...no team in baseball history had ever come back to even tie up a series after being down 3-0. I believe it is that accomplishment that gave them the nod from these particular evaluators in this subjective category.
    It's said history repeating itself a second time is farce. What does that make Tommy repeating himself 4,000 times?
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

This is idiotic. They didn't prove themselves to be the best team of the decade by losing the first 3 games of the ALCS.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm A Wenner!
    This is idiotic.
    The guy posted an opinion, and comments like yours have no place on this board. Start acting like a Wenner, and stop acting like a wanker.

Thanks.

this might be biased becasue i am a sox fan, but what about Ellsbury he seems like he would be a good fit for that park. can hit decently with a lot of speed, decent fielder, and if he hits a gap it is big trouble. i as a sox fan would be willing to trade Ellsbury and a good prospect for wright he's a solid hitter, but Citi Field was just to big for him
    Ellsbury and Buchholz would be too much for Wright.....Maybe for Adrian Gonzolez, but not Wright
    Ellsbury stole 70 bases last year and has game changing speed. Buchholz has thrown a no hitter in the show and has (count them ) 5 plus pitches. You can count the prospects in the minors with 5 plus pitches on one hand. Not enough for Wright? Try too much by a lot. Buchholz is a number one starter on a lot of national league teams right now.
    There was a reason the team with the highest payroll ( the Yankees) passed on [Beltran], and seeing as he was rumored to drop his price to $100 mill. over 7, it must have been significant
    Beltran is the best CFer in the game? LOL. Yea, maybe when he actually plays. The guy's a walking injury. Sorry, but I'll take Damon over Beltran in a big game any day. Beltran is the epitome of what a soft player looks like. He's so worth the money that even Mets fans boo him every chance they get.[/I]
    I hate humans.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Michael
    I'm gonna hold you to that. Of course, you could circumvent that by creating another incarnation and posting under a different handle. That would be unprecedented.
    There is only one JDPNYY. There could never be an incarnation.
    The Good News: The rested Yankees will be ready for the Pennant Race that resting the Yankees will create!

The last thread was dying a too slow death. I take personal credit for putting it out of it's misery. No, no....... don't thank me, PK. I couldn't have done it without you

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by manhattanclam
    The last thread was dying a too slow death. I take personal credit for putting it out of it's misery. No, no....... don't thank me, PK. I couldn't have done it without you
    Shouldn't you also credit the other fans of the other teams you are a fan?

This is baseball and, therefore, there are objective measures available to compare players and teams.

You're calling this category subjective because, well, you obviously want to.

Quote Originally Posted by yanke26
    Shouldn't you also credit the other fans of the other teams you are a fan?
    Where were they in our moment of crisis?

And on the last day of the 2009 year, I think we may have the post of the year.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Do you really think it would be as big a deal if the Oakland A's came back to defeat the Minnesota Twins after being down 0-3?
    Heck, do you even think it would have been a big a deal if the Red Sox came back on someone else?
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Thread Information