+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: A question about tattoos

This thread makes me want to get another tattoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Well....I am a total bacon whore...
    <--- The Ryan emoticon.

NYYF Cy Young

I love my tattoos, and really don't care what anyone else thinks. I got them for me, and find them to be a bit theraputic. I don't flaunt them in other peoples faces, as they are for my enjoyment.

I have no problem showing them to someone if asked, but most people don't know I have them.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980
    Like I said, I probably wouldn't get the dolphin now because though I love them, it doesn't have much meaning. I was only 20, but I wasn't stupid enough to get something that I'd possibly hate in the future. I don't regret it, because I still think it's cute. Plus, it's really small and nobody ever sees it. It's on my left lower back. It's not as though it's some huge, ugly thing that is in plain sight. IIRC, it cost about $40, so I didn't blow a whole bunch of cash on it.

The tat was only $60. I printed it out and took it to the shop with me, and the guy enlarged the picture. The copy I took was really small, and he said it might not turn out too well, so I had him make the tat a bit larger. I LOVE it!
    No judgment here. I only said dolphin because you put it in my head. As long as you don't regret it, good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I love women that have tatoos that cover the bottom half of their leg. So sexy.
    Totaly agree with you! Especially such as

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BigStephan View Post
    Totaly agree with you! Especially such as
    The details of the tattoo on her right leg are amazing. At first I really thought it was a shoe on her foot and she was wearing blue jeans.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

I have one on my leg and am wanting another. Totally addicting.

Quote Originally Posted by PettittesPrincess View Post
    I have one on my leg and am wanting another. Totally addicting.
    they do get addictive. I have three and I'm working on a sleeve.

My Mom had a friend that was a one of those biker babes (Pagans.) She was in her 70's and every tat she had was faded, stretched downward and were really unrecognizable.
    Not a good look.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

Addicted Member

I've always wondered how much money does one pay for a tattoo? Obviously the prices range on the complexity of the tattoo. How much for small, simple tattoo?

What's the approximate price for a large, color tattoo such as this one posted earlier?

Happy 2017!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    I've always wondered how much money does one pay for a tattoo? Obviously the prices range on the complexity of the tattoo. How much for small, simple tattoo?

What's the approximate price for a large, color tattoo such as this one posted earlier?
    It depends on the artist/shop as well but usually they charge per hour. Figure around $100-$150 per hour. But it's also an industry where if you have a major talent you can charge what you want. Some people get way more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    My Mom had a friend that was a one of those biker babes (Pagans.) She was in her 70's and every tat she had was faded, stretched downward and were really unrecognizable.
    Not a good look.
    As opposed to the hotness of the average 70 year old.

Addicted Member

It depends on the artist/shop as well but usually they charge per hour. Figure around $100-$150 per hour. But it's also an industry where if you have a major talent you can charge what you want. Some people get way more than that.
    So I could guess that the 'simple' tattoo such as might be $100 tops?

The pic with the flowery calf has to take several hours if not a period of several sittings. But again, I'm just guessing.

I'm not going to get a tattoo. I'm not interested in having ink injected under my epidermis and I get nauseous when I see a hypodermic needle. Yes, I admit I don't understand the mechanics of a tattoo gun and tattoo guns aren't equivalent to a hypodermic needle.

Just my own observation, I don't understand how people who can least afford tattoos manage to get their body covered with tattoos. I guess some of them are jailhouse tats but not all. These are customers who have their SNAP card and can't afford car insurance. Where are their priorities? To each their own.
    Happy 2017!

Just my own observation, I don't understand how people who can least afford tattoos manage to get their body covered with tattoos. I guess some of them are jailhouse tats but not all. These are customers who have their SNAP card and can't afford car insurance. Where are their priorities? To each their own.
    I see the same things in the small local stores around here. Everybody's friendly and pleasant, but many have tatoos (some all over them) and you can tell that they don't have much to live on just based on their appearance and the beat up cars they drive. Still they buy lots of expensive cigarettes and scratch off lottery tickets. Like you said....it's their lives.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I see the same things in the small local stores around here. Everybody's friendly and pleasant, but many have tatoos (some all over them) and you can tell that they don't have much to live on just based on their appearance and the beat up cars they drive. Still they buy lots of expensive cigarettes and scratch off lottery tickets. Like you said....it's their lives.
    To a lot of folks...I think it's simply about gaining some semblance of control over their lives. Yeah, a lot of tattooed people work lower paying jobs, and pay their bills, and live an otherwise mundane existence...But if you can put a story to the ink on your arms, chest, etc? It gets to be a "Go ahead and tell me to my face you're taking that away from me, too" sort of thing.
    Mr Coffee: "I definitely think people are overreacting to the Arpaio pardon."

NYYF Legend

And then there's the well-to-do people who make well into six figures and are inked, but more discreetly. Less in-your-face, but if they did it right, there's a story to each of those, as well.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    To a lot of folks...I think it's simply about gaining some semblance of control over their lives. Yeah, a lot of tattooed people work lower paying jobs, and pay their bills, and live an otherwise mundane existence...But if you can put a story to the ink on your arms, chest, etc? It gets to be a "Go ahead and tell me to my face you're taking that away from me, too" sort of thing.

And then there's the well-to-do people who make well into six figures and are inked, but more discreetly. Less in-your-face, but if they did it right, there's a story to each of those, as well.

You just raised another point that puzzles me.

Control? That part i don't comprehend.

So someone I don't know has tats - a few or basically covering all their exposed skin - walks into the store. All I see are tats and I don't care to stare at that individual to read each & every tat to figure out what the design is or what the message is because that's not me.
    So I don't know 'their' story. I don't care to stare at them to figure out their story or the message of their tats.

So the tats are for who? Obviously the individual. But as a walking billboard, I'm not into staring at their body - just their face when I have interactions with them as a customer.
    Happy 2017!

So I could guess that the 'simple' tattoo such as might be $100 tops?

The pic with the flowery calf has to take several hours if not a period of several sittings. But again, I'm just guessing.

I'm not going to get a tattoo. I'm not interested in having ink injected under my epidermis and I get nauseous when I see a hypodermic needle. Yes, I admit I don't understand the mechanics of a tattoo gun and tattoo guns aren't equivalent to a hypodermic needle.

many people who have a trade will trade their services for a tattoo. So that's one way. Many artists don't make a lot of money so they'll make a deal. Say you tune up my car and I'll give you three hours worth of ink.

NYYF Legend

You just raised another point that puzzles me.

Control? That part i don't comprehend.

So someone I don't know has tats - a few or basically covering all their exposed skin - walks into the store. All I see are tats and I don't care to stare at that individual to read each & every tat to figure out what the design is or what the message is because that's not me.
    So I don't know 'their' story. I don't care to stare at them to figure out their story or the message of their tats.

So the tats are for who? Obviously the individual. But as a walking billboard, I'm not into staring at their body - just their face when I have interactions with them as a customer.
    Control in terms of expression. As in, it gives people a sense of ownership of their lives. It goes both ways too: the 9-to-5 white collar who loathes how far he's strayed from his childhood dreams is prone to the tattoo as well. Not to mention, it's been done for thousands of years...I mean, before nation-states, etc. Tribal stuff. There's a huge draw to that aspect to it as well.

Yeah, I'm going to go get me a tattoo.

(No seriously, I'm about to do this anyway)...

Addicted Member

many people who have a trade will trade their services for a tattoo. So that's one way. Many artists don't make a lot of money so they'll make a deal. Say you tune up my car and I'll give you three hours worth of ink.
    I haven't thought of it in that way. That would make sense for those that have little cash but are able to barter.
    Happy 2017!

NYYF Legend

I'm in contact with the artist about source files so that I can modify the limbs to add some green, and I want to modify the lens over the dial so that the glass is a translucent blue.

I'm a hippie. I'm also a web developer.

The mechanical tree of life.

Yeah, a lot of tattooed people work lower paying jobs, and pay their bills, and live an otherwise mundane existence.
    People from all socio-economic levels have tattoos. Some are just harder to see if your job requires conservative attire or to keep them covered.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PettittesPrincess View Post
    People from all socio-economic levels have tattoos. Some are just harder to see if your job requires conservative attire or to keep them covered.
    No doubt. I was just speaking to a reason why somebody may feel the desire to get inked. And ultimately, it boils down to the same reasons centered around a story that needs to be told.

Tattoos are, for the most part, a very personal thing. I am not a walking billboard. I do not care what you or others think of them. I don't want or need you to figure out what it is or why it's there.

There are many folks who do it because apparently tats are trendy now. You'll see tramp stamps and tribal bands and pictures they took out of some book in the tattoo shop. That does happen. Maybe those folks are billboards like you say however thats the minority. I spent hours with my artist coming up with stuff for my sleeve and I go every few months with some saved up money to get it done little by little.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

Thread Information