+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: A question about tattoos

I think when done right they can look awesome, sexy, even classy.

But when done wrong they can look freakin disgusting, kinda like a bad haircut. The only thing you can look at while talking to the person is their mop-top (or Pyscho written across their forehead.)
    Yo soy Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    I didn't mean to be insulting, if you took it that way. But I stand by my comment.

I doubt there's anything any one of us tattooed freaks can say that will make you change your mind

I love my tattoo because I think it's pretty. I'd like one more.
    I honestly didn't realize how defensive people get over this topic. I didn't even realize there was an existing thread for this topic. I'm just curious as to why people get enjoyment out of it. I know there is an art to it, but it is permanent. I know I often tire of wall art over time, so it seems to me that could happen with tattoos as well. The difference is you can sell your wall art on e-bay. Not so much with tattoos!
    I'd like to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyankee
    Aren't you yankeemama61? Is that guy your husband?
    63, Jerk.

Don't make me as old as you.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeman61
    I honestly didn't realize how defensive people get over this topic. I didn't even realize there was an existing thread for this topic. I'm just curious as to why people get enjoyment out of it. I know there is an art to it, but it is a permanent. I know I often tire of wall art over time, so it seems to me that could happen with tattoos as well. The difference is you can sell your wall art on e-bay. Not so much with tattoos!
    I would tend to agree if they're very large or in spots that might distort over time.

I've got a pretty butterfly on my shoulder that isn't doing anyone any harm. It can be covered easily with clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDynasty26
    I think when done right they can look awesome, sexy, even classy.

But when done wrong they can look freakin disgusting, kinda like a bad haircut. The only thing you can look at while talking to the person is their mop-top (or Pyscho written across their forehead.)
    I always wondered about the long term consequences when the body "changes"

NYYF Legend

OK, do you want to prove where I stated getting a tattoo is "stupid"?

For the 3rd time, the question was an earnest "why"?

You obviously can only answer with insults or questions.
    You are implying by making this thread that you think they are stupid.

I answered "why." Because they want to. Some people have tattoos that mean something, some people have tattoos because they express themselves and some people have tattoos because they think it looks cool.

I have not insulted you. If you think I did, then you took it wrong.

If you don't like tattoos, that's fine. Nothing wrong with it. But you are making it out like getting a tattoo is absurd and incredibly stupid. If it doesn't effect your life, what difference does it make?

I always wondered about the long term consequences when the body "changes"
    Thats why i got clocks. When i get old and wrinkly i can claim its surrealist.
    Yo soy Gary

Just Flanders being Flanders. Stupid Flanders's Avatar

I find tattoos on women to be unattractive and masculine.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Springfield Nuclear Power Plant
    World's Greatest Yankee Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeah
    You are implying by making this thread that you think they are stupid.
    OK, so now I'm implying. Glad to know you can read minds.

I answered "why." Because they want to. Some people have tattoos that mean something, some people have tattoos because they express themselves and some people have tattoos because they think it looks cool

No you didn't answer. Here are your responses:

1. "Because not everyone is ignorant and close minded?"
    2. "No, completely rejecting an idea or practice that in no way harms your life and your happiness is closed minded. What do you care if someone has a ton of tattoos?"
    3. "Yes, you do have that right. However, what do you care? How does someone like Jeff Monson (http://promma.info/wp-content/upload...ff-monson3.jpg) having a bunch of tattoos effect your life? Maybe some people think it was insulting that you made a thread saying how getting tattoos is stupid."

I have not insulted you. If you think I did, then you took it wrong.
    Where I come from this would be considered an insult:

Because not everyone is ignorant and close minded
    If you don't like tattoos, that's fine. Nothing wrong with it. But you are making it out like getting a tattoo is absurd and incredibly stupid. If it doesn't effect your life, what difference does it make?
    You are jumping to conclusions and if I were truly close minded I wouldn't bother asking why. I would just call you ignorant and close minded then call it a day. But that's not what I did.

Man, this topic is getting hairy. Deep breaths.

For me, it's a sign of love or dedication. I don't have a tattoo, but will be getting one in a few months. If I had had a tragedy or something happen in my life to a loved one I'd be getting a tattoo of that in honor/memory of them, otheriwse it's a sign of something very important or central to my life, what I believe in, or what I take very seriously.

Plus I think they look cool - there's that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by PinstripePride
    Man, this topic is getting hairy. Deep breaths.

For me, it's a sign of love or dedication. I don't have a tattoo, but will be getting one in a few months. If I had had a tragedy or something happen in my life to a loved one I'd be getting a tattoo of that in honor/memory of them, otheriwse it's a sign of something very important or central to my life, what I believe in, or what I take very seriously.

Plus I think they look cool - there's that, too.
    Thank you for that legit answer

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by TheDynasty26
    Thats why i got clocks. When i get old and wrinkly i can claim its surrealist.

LMAO
    “To paraphrase Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear, and all those guys, "I wish I had known this some time ago.” Roger Zelazny, Sign of the Unicorn

You are jumping to conclusions and if I were truly close minded I wouldn't bother asking why. I would just call you ignorant and close minded then call it a day. But that's not what I did.
    It may have been the wording of your post. I didn't thinkyou were being mean but it did come off a little "holier than thou". People with tattoos that show deal with alot of dumb sh*t from people who dislike them. Whether it be a nasty look or dumb comments about it. It's why people get defensive about it. Short fuse.
    If fascism comes to America, it will come under the guise of anti-fascism.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23
    It may have been the wording of your post. I didn't thinkyou were being mean but it did come off a little "holier than thou". People with tattoos that show deal with alot of dumb sh*t from people who dislike them. Whether it be a nasty look or dumb comments about it. It's why people get defensive about it. Short fuse.
    Obviously it's a touchy subject to say the least

NYYF Legend

I got my tattoos because I thought it would be cool to be different and have something no one else has. Getting a tattoo is kind of an adrenaline rush to me and as soon as I got the first one, I was thinking about the second one. I have not gone crazy and gotten completely covered, I just have 3 small ones.

They are placed so I can cover them or show them, whatever I feel. But I have no reason to want to hide them. I'm not ashamed and I don't care if people disapprove really.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

Obviously it's a touchy subject to say the least
    Well yeah think of the circumstances... first off, it's relatively expensive to do. Second, the time, work and thought put into the artwork is tremendous. People express things that mean so much to them, typically. When people mock it, it's disrespectful. Not saying you are mocking anyone, I get the idea behind your question now.
    If fascism comes to America, it will come under the guise of anti-fascism.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

I couldn't imagine doing it myself. I don't like needles and I can't think of anything I want permanently stamped on my body.

I had one major love with a small tasteful rose just above one breast and another with a small butterfly on her hip that would be covered by all but the smallest string bikini. I thought both were pretty cool and fit with their lovely owners. Small means could be almost covered by a nickel, and easily by a quarter.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Tattoos are stupid and peoples shouldn't get them.
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Tattoos are stupid and peoples shouldn't get them.
    I was so hoping that someone would bring some clarity into this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23
    Well yeah think of the circumstances... first off, it's relatively expensive to do. Second, the time, work and thought put into the artwork is tremendous. People express things that mean so much to them, typically. When people mock it, it's disrespectful. Not saying you are mocking anyone, I get the idea behind your question now.
    I remember being told I looked like a girl because my hair was long. I just tucked it under the baseball cap and moved on. I think most of us grew the hair out back then because of The Beatles. Every generation has something rebellious to be "proud" of I suppose.

NYYF Legend

OK, so now I'm implying. Glad to know you can read minds.
    Your words come across, as someone else put it perfectly, holier than thou. Repeatedly asking "why" reinforces the notion that youa re implying tattoos are stupid.

Where I come from this would be considered an insult:

You are being closed minded on this issue. You know why they do it. Because it's an expression of themselves, because it means something to them or because they thought it looked cool. Tattoos aren't some new thing, people have been getting them for 30+ years. It's not a generation thing, it's been around.

I don't have any tattoos. I don't think I could pull it off. I would love to get a tattoo like this
    http://i44.tinypic.com/2n0vjp2.jpg
    But I don't think I could pull it off (not to mention short sleeves couldn't cover it). But having tattoos in no way effects other people lives. It shouldn't matter why they do it.

Also I know a ton of people who got inked at 18 and now are pushing 30 and completely regret the asinine permanent tattoo on their skin because they don't enjoy the same things as an adult that they did as a teen.

Your words come across, as someone else put it perfectly, holier than thou. Repeatedly asking "why" reinforces the notion that youa re implying tattoos are stupid.

You are being closed minded on this issue. You know why they do it. Because it's an expression of themselves, because it means something to them or because they thought it looked cool. Tattoos aren't some new thing, people have been getting them for 30+ years. It's not a generation thing, it's been around.

I don't have any tattoos. I don't think I could pull it off. I would love to get a tattoo like this
    But I don't think I could pull it off (not to mention short sleeves couldn't cover it). But having tattoos in no way effects other people lives. It shouldn't matter why they do it.
    I've already explained this to you several times, but you continue to read into my intent and believe what you want to believe. Who is being close minded again?

That said I live in California so every chick I meet has a tramp stamp at minimum.

NYYF Legend

It's tattoos like that that i will never understand. Writing "New York Yankees" across the length of your arm is something I just don't understand. Same for tats that say Boston Red Sox. Soon after the 2004 WS, I ran into a guy that put a giant "B" on his arm, along with a "Curse no more" underneath it, with a 2004... or something like that. All I could think was "Why would you do that to yourself?" It may not affect my life, and it may be a form of self-expression, but I can't help but say that it still looks stupid to me. Of course, I didn't say that to him directly, as he was soooo proud of his new tattoo. To each, his own, I guess. A small NY sign, or a small B, I can understand. These giant ones, I don't know what they are thinking, but it makes them happy, and I guess that is all that matters.

One of my friends, a 42 yr-old life-long Cubs fan who has zero tattoos, has said that when the Cubs win the world series, he is going to put a giant Cubs tattoo on his arm to commemorate the occassion. I always jokingly tell him that I hope they never win it all, just to keep his wife from having to look at that ugly thing for the rest of her life.

Thread Information