+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 126
  1. #101

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post

    What did Carton do for CBS Sports?
    Boomer and Carton is also simulcasted on the CBS Sports Network.

  2. #102

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    Being painfully unfunny is one thing, but stealing money from a charity inspired by your family is one of the most corrupt things I can imagine. Good riddance.
    Carton went pretty damn low, no matter how desperate he was.

  3. #103

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    Being painfully unfunny is one thing, but stealing money from a charity inspired by your family is one of the most corrupt things I can imagine. Good riddance.
    Feel bad for his family not to mention the investors. Always felt the guy was a certified A-Hole. This proves it.

  4. #104
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer



    "unfounded" -

  5. #105

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Maybe if he's lucky there'll be a radio show, like on Orange is the New Black.

    After less than a day of deliberations, the jury of three men and nine women found Carton guilty on all counts, including securities fraud, wire fraud and conspiracy to commit fraud.
    He obviously won't get the max, but the max for the three counts is 45 years.

    https://nypost.com/2018/11/07/craig-...ars-in-prison/

  6. #106
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Maybe if he's lucky there'll be a radio show, like on Orange is the New Black.

    He obviously won't get the max, but the max for the three counts is 45 years.

    https://nypost.com/2018/11/07/craig-...ars-in-prison/
    Yeah my understanding is something like a 9-year sentence is likely, presumably he'll behave well in Chez Gray Bar so knock that way down but he'll do a few years in the Syracuse-colored jumpsuit. Of course an appeal is coming so who knows.

    He'll probably be a hot radio property when he gets out because America is like that now.

  7. #107

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    What is interesting , according to this article, is that Barclays was allocating tickets to Carton to re-sell, just not at the level he was telling his investors

    https://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...ial-1.23006110

  8. #108
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Quote Originally Posted by BourbonMan View Post
    What is interesting , according to this article, is that Barclays was allocating tickets to Carton to re-sell, just not at the level he was telling his investors

    https://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...ial-1.23006110
    Of course. All the arenas and owners are in on the scalping racket. Anything to make more off the fan.

  9. #109
    NYYF Legend

    Sixty one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Raritan, New Jersey

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    What didWFAN say about this verdict today?

  10. #110
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Quote Originally Posted by BourbonMan View Post
    What is interesting , according to this article, is that Barclays was allocating tickets to Carton to re-sell, just not at the level he was telling his investors

    https://www.newsday.com/news/new-yor...ial-1.23006110
    The law clearly makes it illegal for operators to sell directly onto the secondary market. The way they get around this is to sell wholesale to intermediary brokers who then sell on the secondary market. Would be interesting to see a ruling on if this is a defacto violation of the ACA law

  11. #111
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    What didWFAN say about this verdict today?
    Gio said he didn't understand why Carton took such a hard line defense and didn't play the sympathy card for an addiction. Boomer said he hopes the parole board cuts him a break but then he followed up with "you reap what you sew" and abruptly cut to reading ads

  12. #112

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    42 month sentence, 3 years probabtion.

    https://twitter.com/PeteBrush/status...11804325011456

  13. #113
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    42 month sentence, 3 years probabtion.

    https://twitter.com/PeteBrush/status...11804325011456
    That sounds like a fair sentence, maybe on the harder side - but the guy was stupid he fought the charges when he could have made a plea deal at the beginning. So 6.5 years total under watch. Probation is NOT freedom, you are held by the balls by the parole officer. You have to comply with rules about where you go and when, alcohol and drug restrictions, and depending on how sadistic he is the PO can call their convict at 3 am any day if they want to and demand they submit for a drug test immediately. Failure to comply means back in jail

  14. #114

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    That sounds like a fair sentence, maybe on the harder side - but the guy was stupid he fought the charges when he could have made a plea deal at the beginning. So 6.5 years total under watch. Probation is NOT freedom, you are held by the balls by the parole officer. You have to comply with rules about where you go and when, alcohol and drug restrictions, and depending on how sadistic he is the PO can call their convict at 3 am any day if they want to and demand they submit for a drug test immediately. Failure to comply means back in jail
    I respectfully disagree. I think if you or I stole 7 million dollars we would get significantly more than 3 years in jail. The judge gave him half of the sentencing guidelines which is very rare. Also, his co-conspirator pleaded guilty and got 6.5 years.

  15. #115
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I think if you or I stole 7 million dollars we would get significantly more than 3 years in jail. The judge gave him half of the sentencing guidelines which is very rare. Also, his co-conspirator pleaded guilty and got 6.5 years.
    well how much of that 7 million was completely lost and not recovered, I think that plays a part in it

  16. #116

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    well how much of that 7 million was completely lost and not recovered, I think that plays a part in it
    I think it's irrelevant. The bottom line is he ran a ponzi scheme and stole 7 million dollars. And the judge, who openly admitted she was a fan of his show, gave him 50% of the sentencing guidelines. I seriously doubt you or I would have gotten the same break.

  17. #117
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    I feel your pain more than my own

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I think it's irrelevant. The bottom line is he ran a ponzi scheme and stole 7 million dollars. And the judge, who openly admitted she was a fan of his show, gave him 50% of the sentencing guidelines. I seriously doubt you or I would have gotten the same break.
    I find it hard to believe someone was a fan of that show.
    The Good News: The rested Yankees will be ready for the Pennant Race that resting the Yankees will create!

  18. #118

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Also, his co-conspirator pleaded guilty and got 6.5 years.
    This is not really accurate. The guy who got 6.5 years, Joseph Meli, was facing charges for two different frauds, one of which had nothing to do with Carton. That other one involved defrauding investors of close to $60MM, so the overall charges facing him involved significantly greater fraud than those against Carton.

    The third co-conspirator, Michael Wright, was (I think) only charged in connection with the same fraud as Carton, and he pled out and got 21 months.

    So Carton's sentence doesn't seem out of line with what these guys got given that a) Wright pled so deserved less, and b) Meli's crimes were more serious so he deserved more, plea or not.

  19. #119

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    This is not really accurate. The guy who got 6.5 years, Joseph Meli, was facing charges for two different frauds, one of which had nothing to do with Carton. That other one involved defrauding investors of close to $60MM, so the overall charges facing him involved significantly greater fraud than those against Carton.

    The third co-conspirator, Michael Wright, was (I think) only charged in connection with the same fraud as Carton, and he pled out and got 21 months.

    So Carton's sentence doesn't seem out of line with what these guys got given that a) Wright pled so deserved less, and b) Meli's crimes were more serious so he deserved more, plea or not.
    I read Meli got less because he had a much smaller role. Carton was the mastermind of the Ponzi scheme. My opinion remains for two reasons 1) he was sentenced to 50% of the sentencing guidelines, this is very rare 2) if you or I ran a Ponzi scheme and stolel 7 million dollars we would get more than 3 years.

  20. #120

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I find it hard to believe someone was a fan of that show.
    Carton appealed to the lowest common denominator, unfortunately there is a big market for it.

  21. #121

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I read Meli got less because he had a much smaller role. Carton was the mastermind of the Ponzi scheme. My opinion remains for two reasons 1) he was sentenced to 50% of the sentencing guidelines, this is very rare 2) if you or I ran a Ponzi scheme and stolel 7 million dollars we would get more than 3 years.
    I don't know the details of their relative involvements, but Wright (I assume you meant Wright, since Meli got more, not less than Carton) got half the sentence Carton did, so that's hardly compelling evidence Carton got off easy, even if he was more culpable. As for the sentencing guidelines, it's not rare at all, let alone very rare. It's quite common for judges to issue sentences that are well below the guidelines, so again, Carton getting a shorter sentence than the guidelines is not surprising or suggestive that he got off easy. I don't know what kind of sentence you'd get for a similar crime, but the other sentences handed out to his partners in crime directly refute your assertion that someone else would necessarily get a longer sentence that Carton did. Before you seemed to think Meli's sentence was clear evidence that Carton's sentence was too short. Now you're ignoring that Carton got half much as time as Meli, even though the magnitude of his fraud was about one tenth that of Meli's.

    You're certainly free to hold whatever opinions about crime and punishment you wish, and maybe you think all three of these guys got sweetheart deals for some reason, but regardless of the punishments you think should fit these crimes, it's pretty clear here that Carton's sentence is consistent with the other sentences being handed down to the other guys he was involved with.

  22. #122
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    michael kay gave him a whole hour on his show, no commercials

  23. #123
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer


  24. #124

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Craig Carton made a living making fun of people. Then he took that money and gambled it. When he got in over his head, he started a ponzi scheme. And, according to Carton, all all this happened because he was molested at summer camp and was a gambling addict.

    All along, he knew he was hurting people. He should go pay his debt to society and when he gets out of jail pay back the people he stole from.

  25. #125
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

    Quote Originally Posted by PatG View Post
    He should go pay his debt to society and when he gets out of jail pay back the people he stole from.
    The judge ordered him to pay back something like $4.8M. I have no idea where he's going to find that money. He's going to be 54 when he gets out, if he hasn't completely lost his edge and is even still relevant, he still would need to find a gig where he gets paid high 6 figures for years before his victims ever see that money back again.

    WFAN & ESPN may even blackball him. Maybe he can land a gig on Sirius, I think he'll be disappointed in the compensation though

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts