+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    NYYF Cy Young

Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

Is there a more sour, more pissy little crybaby girl on local sports radio than this dude? Jayson Stark meanderings aside, I kind of understand the whole Yankee-fans-reading-too-much-into-media-bias thing, but I don't believe I'm exaggerating when I say that I can turn on the radio at any given time in the a.m. and this Carton dude finds ways to spew some kind of downer Yankee propaganda into a conversation that started out having nothing even to do w/ the Yankees.

We get it - you don't like the Yankees, ok, at least make it funny. Even Russo I can listen to. Russo actually has the capacity to be funny. Russo is like an objective Socrates compared to this guy (for example, today Carton is asking what Yankees fans think about their team currently being "mathematically eliminated from the playoffs" (huh??) On another day where Tino Martinez calls in to promote a children's charity, he all but accuses him of using steroids:

[Carton, paraphrased, but not by much]: "Tino, speaking of this Roger Clemens/Mitchell Report stuff, some could even look at your #'s during your peak homerun seasons and maybe start to look at those w/ suspicion, what do you say?"

Tino response: "Well, thanks guys, it's been great, gotta go, talk to you later" [click... even Boomer is embarrassed]

It's really annoying because I like ESPN's Mike & Mike's personalities the best as far as morning radio goes, but I think nothing beats WFAN's NY sports fan's perspective. Unfortunately Carton is such a bitter little stick in the mud that I can't bear listening to him and his Debbie Downer schtick getting in the way of Boomer's broadcast.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Re: Craig Carton from Carton & Boomer

I heard that guy once and that was enough. I never listen to that show.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Legend

I haven't listened to any sports talk radio in a month. And my life is better for it. I've been listening to a lot of music lately, which is good for the soul.
    "They're going to send me back to Omaha, and I don't even live there." - Rube Baker

NYYF Legend

He was horrible (at his job, and as a person) as a pseudo-shock jock here on New Jersey 101.5, and he's terrible now.

Devoted Member

Wow, what nerve he had asking Tino a question like that. It takes a pretty small person to ask that to a guy like Tino, especially when he is taking time out to be a guest on your show.

He is more of a Yankee hater than a Mets fan. If my two teams were the Mets & Jets I'd be a pissed off person to. Think of it like this, he knows the Mets are done, he needs to keep his call in lines lit up, so while the yankees are still very much in the race, he incites the yankee fans by saying they are out. Dont but into his rants. He is a jynx, he bet against the Gianst all last year, and did the samething with the yanks last year.

NYYF Legend

Thank God for XM. I can't think of the last time I listened to WFAN.
    Posts in invisible key strokes

They should replace Carton with Chris Carlin. He does a much better job.

Quote Originally Posted by LHG39
    No contest, Carlin is way better.

Quote Originally Posted by LHG39
    He's way better than Craig Carton! I think Carton is great when he's not completely biased against the Yankees. He may hate the Yankees and trash them to no end, but when he thinks the Mets are out, he does the same thing to his own team. Most of the time I cant stand him though. Boomer is awesome. Would love to see Carlin in there instead.
    Home of [URL="http://www.nysuperfan.com/allstga20it.html"]PRIDE IN PINSTRIPES[/URL]
    [U]
    [URL="http://www.nysuperfan.com/"]www.nysuperfan.com[/URL][/U] For NYC Sports Gear

[URL="http://www.nysuperblog.com/"]www.nysuperblog.com[/URL] "A Blog For The NYC Sports Fan"

2009..."The Empire Strikes Back"
    [U] [URL="http://www.nysuperfan.com"]
    [/URL][/U]

Yesterday morning the yankees are coming off their best win of the season and the mets just got swept by the garbage that is the astros and all he does all morning is bash the yankees on how they won make the postseason because he wants to avoid talking about the embarrsment that was the mets weekend. I hate this guy and hes a horrible host to boot. But honestly he is the typical mets fan. Theyre all more yankees haters then mets fans.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I listen to Boomer and Carton and Mike & the Mad Dog. What can I say....there is not much else to listen to on sports radio.

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    I listen to Boomer and Carton and Mike & the Mad Dog. What can I say....there is not much else to listen to on sports radio.

Yeah me too.....Carton is a whiny little baby who loves loves loves it whenever anything goes wrong in the Yankee World. Although it was pretty funny to listen to him flip out when the Mets collapsed last season.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by wang+cano=future
    Yeah me too.....Carton is a whiny little baby who loves loves loves it whenever anything goes wrong in the Yankee World. Although it was pretty funny to listen to him flip out when the Mets collapsed last season.
    Way too many Mets fans on the radio talk shows in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Me too, I just dont take the bait when they start bashing the yanks.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by wang+cano=future
    If I'm not mistaken, this is the same obnoxious person who was threatened by Gov. Codey of NJ when Carton was on 101.5. Carton was making fun of Codey's wife who was talking about mental illness. I wish Codey had gotten to him. Why, did WFAN hire him in the first place??

NYYF Cy Young

I know Mike and the Mad Dog get a lot of heat around here, but personally, I enjoy their show because they do seem to be knowledgable and are actually entertaining to listen to.

But I can't stand Carton. It's like he takes his corny, FM-radio morning show schtick and tries to apply it to sports talk. But he doesn't seem to have any real knowledge of sports. He's just very irritating. Boomer does a good job, though.
    "Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier. The cigars taste better. The trees are greener." - Billy Martin

NYYF Legend

Never heard of him.

boomer from boomer and the nudge =P
    My NYY Room http://tinyurl.com/y89l8up
    My NYY Hats http://tinyurl.com/yauhxsg
    My NYY Jerseys http://tinyurl.com/ydsggo4
    My Jeter Kicks http://tinyurl.com/yee5tzl

WFAN is a joke except for Beningo and Roberts in the midday. They are the only hosts on that station that give equal time to the yanks and mets, are respectful to callers and seem to actually enjoy doing their job.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

I know Tino is like a god around here, but did he really just run away like that? If he has nothing to hide, why didn't he just say he never took any steroids or anything? I'm not trying to defend Carton, but I feel like Tino maybe could've handled that better. I'm not up early enough to listen to that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjf
    I know Tino is like a god around here, but did he really just run away like that? If he has nothing to hide, why didn't he just say he never took any steroids or anything? I'm not trying to defend Carton, but I feel like Tino maybe could've handled that better. I'm not up early enough to listen to that anyway.
    By responding to the accusation, even a denial, you give it more credibility and "legs."

The headlines become, "MARTINEZ DENIES STEROID ALLEGATION ON RADIO PROGRAM"

Already, your name is now linked with STEROIDS. Not a good thing.

By simply hanging up, the whole incident becomes a non-story except among those who follow the team obsessively.
    Fall down a rabbit hole: Joe Frank.com

Clinton, NJ - The odorless part of the state

Besides, he was promoting a charity for crying out loud. The question was out of line. Good for Tino for not taking the bait.
    Waiting for Sterling to retire so I can start listening to games on the radio again...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47
    WFAN is a joke except for Beningo and Roberts in the midday. They are the only hosts on that station that give equal time to the yanks and mets, are respectful to callers and seem to actually enjoy doing their job.
    I like them, but I like Kellerman's show better. He's a Yankee homer and is completely shamelessly aweomse about it . Too bad the shows are on opposite each other.

As cheesy and Mike & Mike are on ESPN, they actually make sports talk positive and likeable for the most part. They are able to have discussion and disagreements without screaming and they treat all of their guests with respect. I know they don't take callers and it's corporate and ESPN and all, but it's kind of a nice change pace over all of the paranoia and venom that can get into the medium.
    UM now, UM always
    #21 - We will never forget you.
    Let's Go Yankees!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one
    If I'm not mistaken, this is the same obnoxious person who was threatened by Gov. Codey of NJ when Carton was on 101.5. Carton was making fun of Codey's wife who was talking about mental illness. I wish Codey had gotten to him. Why, did WFAN hire him in the first place??
    Yes. Mrs. Codey was speaking out about post-partum depression, and he made fun of her. Gov. Codey was so pissed he said he would beat him up, if he weren't an elected official.

Thread Information