+ Reply to Thread
Page 157 of 159 FirstFirst ... 57 107 147 154 155 156 157 158 159 LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,925 of 3956
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Former Yankee Performance Thread v4.0

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    About to get 12 after shutting down the Astros.

7 IP 0 ERs 11 Ks vs Houston...

12-4 with a 3.69 ERA

What is wrong with our pitching coaches?
    He's the first pitcher to 12. The last pitcher to lead MLB in wins after pitching for the Yankees was Dazzy Vance in 1924 and 1925. I typed more about it in the "Don't look now." topic.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    Cervelli has quit catching due to concussions.
    https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2...e-catching-dk/
    https://www.mlb.com/news/francisco-c...tinue-catching says "Cervelli on catching: 'Motivation is the mask': Catcher disputes report that he's finished behind the plate, wants to return in familiar role."

NYYF Legend

ESPN's Marly Rivera tweeted that Boston DFAd Eduardo Nunez. He had a .548 OPS, but Devers said he learned from Nunez.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    ESPN's Marly Rivera tweeted that Boston DFAd Eduardo Nunez. He had a .548 OPS, but Devers said he learned from Nunez.
    I wonder what the next team will be to deal with his shenanigans?
    There's a sinister plot a brewin'

Darn. Having Eduardo Scissorhands on the Red Sox was like a secret weapon for the Yankees.

https://www.mlb.com/news/francisco-c...tinue-catching says "Cervelli on catching: 'Motivation is the mask': Catcher disputes report that he's finished behind the plate, wants to return in familiar role."

ďThe most important thing here is to feel normal as a human being,Ē Cervelli said. ďI havenít been feeling normal in a long time -- I probably donít know whatís normal. Iím not saying I feel bad ... I can be better than this.

He added: ďI see my family suffering for this thing and people around me who love me they suffer a lot because they see me every day the way I wake up and the way I behave myself -- itís not normal. So, Iím going to do this to improve and have a quality life with them. Thatís the most important thing.Ē

ďItís easier just to throw in the towel and say, ĎLet me rest and one day, Iíll be good,íĒ Cervelli said. ďNo, I want to work [on] this thing, I want to face it and I want to fight against it, because itís been with me for a long, long, long time. It doesnít belong in my body or in my brain and so itís going to go out."
    Uhhh... sounds like dude needs an intervention. It's not worth it...
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

NYYF Legend

San Diego's Kirby Yates got his 31st save, and he's on pace for 53. That would be tied for the sixth most in a season and tied with Trevor Hoffman in 1998 for San Diego's record. Tonight he struck out the side and lowered his ERA to 1.07. The best ERA in a season with at least 50 saves is 1.20 by Eric Gagne in 2003, so Yates is on pace to have the best ERA in a season with at least 50 saves. Gagne won the Cy Young that year.

San Diego's Kirby Yates got his 31st save, and he's on pace for 53. That would be tied for the sixth most in a season and tied with Trevor Hoffman in 1998 for San Diego's record. Tonight he struck out the side and lowered his ERA to 1.07. The best ERA in a season with at least 50 saves is 1.20 by Eric Gagne in 2003, so Yates is on pace to have the best ERA in a season with at least 50 saves. Gagne won the Cy Young that year.
    Thats pretty crazy...

What makes it even more crazy is the fact he bounced around from team to team looking very average at best for so long. Ever since he got to SD he has been getting better an better with age.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

NYYF Legend

He's the first pitcher to 12. The last pitcher to lead MLB in wins after pitching for the Yankees was Dazzy Vance in 1924 and 1925. I typed more about it in the "Don't look now." topic.
    What a dumb move by the Yankees to get rid of Dazzy. Bet you they would have beaten the Cardinals in 1926 if they had him.
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    What a dumb move by the Yankees to get rid of Dazzy. Bet you they would have beaten the Cardinals in 1926 if they had him.
    I always thought Vance was proof there are aliens who abduct people from their beds at night and poke and prod their bodies to study humans. And one evening shortly after being sold for some sod to Sacramento of the California Penal League, a sympathetic group of aliens abducted Vance and fixed his arm. I mean, for all intensive porpoises, he didn't really begin his march towards the Hall of Fame until he was 31.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    And then I wouldn't have had to watch that stupid Ronald Reagan movie about Pete Alexander.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    I always thought Vance was proof there are aliens who abduct people from their beds at night and poke and prod their bodies to study humans. And one evening shortly after being sold for some sod to Sacramento of the California Penal League, a sympathetic group of aliens abducted Vance and fixed his arm. I mean, for all intensive porpoises, he didn't really begin his march towards the Hall of Fame until he was 31.
    Those aliens must have been hanging around the PCL in the 1920s, where they also worked on Lefty O'Doul. They turned him into an outfielder and didn't quite get him into the HOF, but it was a pretty impressive transformation.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    And then I wouldn't have had to watch that stupid Ronald Reagan movie about Pete Alexander.
    I don't like people calling him Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I don't like people calling him Pete.
    Itís how he was known.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...lexape01.shtml

NYYF Legend

I don't buy it.

it never ceases to shock me when I see old pitching stats and guys went 389 innings in a season.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

NYYF Legend

Ryan Lavarnway hit 3 home runs in 108 at-bats for SWB, who let him go. He not a former Yankee, just a former Yankee minor leaguer. Cincinnati, who struggles to score, started him yesterday. In his first MLB game of the season, he went 3-for-4 with 2 home runs, 1 double, 1 walk, and 6 RBI. It was his first multi-home run game since he hit his first 2 home runs in the same game on September 27, 2011. It was his career-high in RBI. His previous career-high was 4 which he did in that game and on September 14, 2012.

NYYF Legend

Ryan Lavarnway hit 3 home runs in 108 at-bats for SWB, who let him go. He not a former Yankee, just a former Yankee minor leaguer. Cincinnati, who struggles to score, started him yesterday. In his first MLB game of the season, he went 3-for-4 with 2 home runs, 1 double, 1 walk, and 6 RBI. It was his first multi-home run game since he hit his first 2 home runs in the same game on September 27, 2011. It was his career-high in RBI. His previous career-high was 4 which he did in that game and on September 14, 2012.
    But we have Romine.

NYYF Legend

Those aliens must have been hanging around the PCL in the 1920s, where they also worked on Lefty O'Doul. They turned him into an outfielder and didn't quite get him into the HOF, but it was a pretty impressive transformation.
    Nice! Didnít realize he took a similar path as Vance did.

He went to bed and taken away as Leonard Comstock, carpet salesman.

Returned to earth, and woke up as Lefty OíDoul, who in 1929 (at age 32) would go on to hit .398/.465/.622. Man, Baker Bowl was an extreme hitterís park. He hit .454/.515/.689 there that season.

Good pull. That was EvanJ-esque!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    it never ceases to shock me when I see old pitching stats and guys went 389 innings in a season.

Look at the curious two-way player, Cy Seymour. Walked a lot of batters. Struckout a lot of them, too (relatively for the era). In 1898 he won 25 games as a pitcher, and in 1905, hit .377 (one HR shy of the Triple Crown). The only other player to win more than 100 games and collect over 1500 hits? Babe Ruth.

Nice! Didnít realize he took a similar path as Vance did.

He went to bed and taken away as Leonard Comstock, carpet salesman.

Returned to earth, and woke up as Lefty OíDoul, who in 1929 (at age 32) would go on to hit .398/.465/.622. Man, Baker Bowl was an extreme hitterís park. He hit .454/.515/.689 there that season.

Good pull. That was EvanJ-esque!
    Nothing obscure about Lefty OíDoul. Among other things, he was a key figure in bringing baseball to Japan. Heís not in Cooperstown, but heís in the Japanese Baseball HOF.

NYYF Legend

Being on the 60 day IL for a concussion didn't stop Cervelli from being ejected for fighting.

NYYF Triple Crown

And Sonny Gray and Chris Archer had words in the Reds/Pirates melee last night.

Look at the curious two-way player, Cy Seymour. Walked a lot of batters. Struckout a lot of them, too (relatively for the era). In 1898 he won 25 games as a pitcher, and in 1905, hit .377 (one HR shy of the Triple Crown). The only other player to win more than 100 games and collect over 1500 hits? Babe Ruth.
    wow! Iíve never heard of him. Youíd think heís be more of a part of baseball lure considering he was a two way player like Ruth.

The real question is how many innings did he pitch in a season? 600?
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    wow! I’ve never heard of him. You’d think he’s be more of a part of baseball lure considering he was a two way player like Ruth.

The real question is how many innings did he pitch in a season? 600?
    He threw a career high 356 IP in 1898 and went 25-19. He lead the league in both walls and strikeout in 1897 and 1898.

I'm guessing he was injured in 1900 because he only played 23 games and after that he appears almost exclusively as hitter. At least that's what I get out of his BR page. https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...eymocy01.shtml
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Thread Information