+ Reply to Thread
Page 156 of 158 FirstFirst ... 56 106 146 153 154 155 156 157 158 LastLast
Results 3,876 to 3,900 of 3935
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Former Yankee Performance Thread v4.0

John Ryan Murphy allowed 2 runs in 1 inning. I wonder if he's the first player to be a pitcher's 3,000th strikeout and pitch in seven or fewer days.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    John Ryan Murphy allowed 2 runs in 1 inning. I wonder if he's the first player to be a pitcher's 3,000th strikeout and pitch in seven or fewer days.
    Given that CC is the 17th pitcher to get to 3000 Ks, I would say highly probable.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Given that CC is the 17th pitcher to get to 3000 Ks, I would say highly probable.
    There are two pitchers on the 3000th-strikeout victims list: Aaron Harang (Pedro Martinez) and Stan Coveleski (Walter Johnson). I would say it's highly probably that at least one DID pitch in seven or fewer days after becoming a pitcher's 3,000th strikeout.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    There are two pitchers on the 3000th-strikeout victims list: Aaron Harang (Pedro Martinez) and Stan Coveleski (Walter Johnson). I would say it's highly probably that at least one DID pitch in seven or fewer days after becoming a pitcher's 3,000th strikeout.
    Thank you. Martinez did it on September 3, 2007 when Harang allowed 6 runs and lost. I'm not going to check for Johnson and Coveleski.

Andrew McCutchen tore his ACL and is done for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Andrew McCutchen tore his ACL and is done for the year.
    Very unfortunate.

NYYF Legend

If you ignore how bad Detroit is, Shane Greene is a candidate for the Mariano Rivera Award for the AL's best closer. He has saved 21 of 22 with a 0.90 ERA. Cleveland's Brad Hand allowed 5 earned runs in 0 innings to raise his ERA to 2.36 after having allowed 4 earned runs this year before yesterday. Chapman now has sole possession of the AL lead in saves and the best AL closer in the Cy Young Predictor. He's third behind Verlander and Odorizzi.

I thought occured to me yesterday, and it made me chuckle. We passed on Cano and signed Ellsbury. Okay, bad move, we all hated it.

But lets look at this now. Ellsbury is sitting around while his salary is being taken care of by insurance. He's not in the lineup, so he cannot hurt this team on the field. Roster wise, salary wise, sure. But the most important part, the Yankees success, is not getting hindered by him at all. He wouldn't even have a job if he was healthy.

Meanwhile, the Mets are trotting Cano out batting 3rd every day. They have to push their star McNeil to the OF, a position he should definitely not be playing, while he sucks at 2B and he is hurting that team. Badly. They should grow a pair and bench the guy but that's not happening. He's legit hurting that team when they can't afford anyone to be doing that, let alone their biggest contract guys.

I'm thinking the Ellsbury signing wasn't so bad, only because it was a reaction to not signing Cano.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I thought occured to me yesterday, and it made me chuckle. We passed on Cano and signed Ellsbury. Okay, bad move, we all hated it.

But lets look at this now. Ellsbury is sitting around while his salary is being taken care of by insurance. He's not in the lineup, so he cannot hurt this team on the field. Roster wise, salary wise, sure. But the most important part, the Yankees success, is not getting hindered by him at all. He wouldn't even have a job if he was healthy.

Meanwhile, the Mets are trotting Cano out batting 3rd every day. They have to push their star McNeil to the OF, a position he should definitely not be playing, while he sucks at 2B and he is hurting that team. Badly. They should grow a pair and bench the guy but that's not happening. He's legit hurting that team when they can't afford anyone to be doing that, let alone their biggest contract guys.

I'm thinking the Ellsbury signing wasn't so bad, only because it was a reaction to not signing Cano.
    The Ellsbury signing was horrific. The worst signing in Yankee history. The Luxury Tax implications are a killer and have been. Our starting pitching is in the shape it's in because of Ellsbury's signing.

Not signing Cano was good. Signing Ells was frighteningly bad.
    Just win!

NYYF Legend

No it was really bad.

Not given Cano 10 years was the right move.
    Throwing a bad money deal at Ellsbury doesn't change that in any way and Cano's performance is irrellavent to the Ellsbury deal.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

But you know signing Ellsbury was a reaction to not signing Cano. And they were trying to get Cano until he got that horrible contract.

All I'm saying is that we're better off with Ells out and doing nothing than Cano manning second base and sucking so hard.

I'm not saying the Ellsbury contract was good. I'm saying we are in a better place than if Cano had signed.

NYYF Legend

But you know signing Ellsbury was a reaction to not signing Cano. And they were trying to get Cano until he got that horrible contract.

All I'm saying is that we're better off with Ells out and doing nothing than Cano manning second base and sucking so hard.

I'm not saying the Ellsbury contract was good. I'm saying we are in a better place than if Cano had signed.
    The Yanks offered Cano 7 years. He gave Seattle 5 years of 129 OPS+ ball (better than his NYY time) though an inconevient suspension last year. I think had the Yanks got him on a 7 year deal getting 5 good years and decline in his age 36 and 37 season would have been fine.

Turning around and signing Ellsbury who posted 95 OPS+ in parts of 4 season when healthy doesn't make it better that Cano is sucking now.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    The Yanks offered Cano 7 years. He gave Seattle 5 years of 129 OPS+ ball (better than his NYY time) though an inconevient suspension last year. I think had the Yanks got him on a 7 year deal getting 5 good years and decline in his age 36 and 37 season would have been fine.

Turning around and signing Ellsbury who posted 95 OPS+ in parts of 4 season when healthy doesn't make it better that Cano is sucking now.
    Fair enough. I'm just considering now though. That's all. I'm glad Ellsbury is on the shelf and Cano ain't our problem.

NYYF Legend

Fair enough. I'm just considering now though. That's all. I'm glad Ellsbury is on the shelf and Cano ain't our problem.
    I would have been happy had they signed Cano to a 7 year deal.
    I was fine letting Cano walk on a 10 year deal.
    I never once liked the Ellsbury deal still don't.
    Even if Ellsbury is not playing and the Yanks are recouping a good chunk of his deal on insurance, his salary eats up ~$23M of "cap space" or 9.4% of the total before hitting max lux penalties which seems to be a line in the sand beyond which the Yanks don't want to go.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Lance Lynn just tied the MLB lead with 10 wins.

Cervelli has quit catching due to concussions.
    https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2...e-catching-dk/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    Probably the right decision. Best of luck to him, wherever he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post

damn. good decision for him. maybe 3b or something?
    "My guys are savages in the box!" - Aaron Boone

That's a shame (the concussions, not his decision). Best of luck to him being able to make a go of it at another position.

NYYF Triple Crown

Former Yankee Sonny Gray is an All Star 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Former Yankee Sonny Gray is an All Star 2019.
    Does this show the lack of good pitching coach here, Grays thin skin for the NY spotlight, or a combination of both?
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Nathan Eovaldi will be the Red Sox closer down the stretch when he comes back. Seems very risky with his injury history and contract.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Does this show the lack of good pitching coach here, Grays thin skin for the NY spotlight, or a combination of both?
    More anti NY Iím guessing

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Lance Lynn just tied the MLB lead with 10 wins.
    About to get 12 after shutting down the Astros.

7 IP 0 ERs 11 Ks vs Houston...

12-4 with a 3.69 ERA

What is wrong with our pitching coaches?
    Last edited by BabyBombers; 07-12-19 at 06:33 AM.

NYYF Legend

"Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Thread Information