+ Reply to Thread
Page 148 of 150 FirstFirst ... 48 98 138 145 146 147 148 149 150 LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,700 of 3747
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Former Yankee Performance Thread v4.0

Wallace Matthews:Robinson Cano's Suspension Clinches It: Yankees Were Right To Let Him Walk

The substance Cano tested positive for is technically not a performance-enhancing drug, but a diuretic used mainly on racehorses to prevent lung hemorrhages and bleeding from the nostrils during a race. In human beings, it is used to treat ailments such as congestive heart failure, cirrhosis of the liver and pulmonary edema, none of which are likely present in the body of an athlete performing at the level of Robinson Cano.

And assuming he was not planning to run in the Preakness Stakes this weekend, there is probably only one reason Cano would choose to use Lasix: to mask the presence of a performance-enhancing drug.

NYYF Legend

Teixeira says he’s not surprised by Cano’s positive test: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.3995726
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Teixeira says he’s not surprised by Cano’s positive test: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.3995726
    Damn Tex is always talkin' greasy about people

"I love Robbie, but..." Uh-huh.
    “Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.” – Yogi Berra

NYYF Legend

Can Mark Teixeira just go away?
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

I found Teixeira's comments interesting on a couple of levels. First, they suggest another reason why not signing Cano to the ridiculous contract given by the desperate Mariners team was smart. The Yankee FO had very good reason to suspect, if not know about this. (The mistake was then signing Ellsbury, whose decline suggests he did not use the stuff, to his own ridiculous contract.)

Second, it confirms my view that players and observant others, including journalists, often know and certainly knew in the McGwire-Sosa-Bonds peak period. (I won't mention the others, including several in the HOF, for whom it is obvious even to an outsider.) This highlights the hypocrisy in these HOF votes keeping greats like Bonds and Clemens and eventually probably Alex, out.

In my view, guys like Cano who are caught at this point, ought to be suspended for a year and then banned the second time. I think the MLBPA will eventually accept penalties at this level. But it should be as irrelevant to the HOF as the grease balling that remains rampant.

Finally, I agree that Verlander is a hypocrite.

Good thing Tex didn't drive the team bus. He would thrown a few teammates under it and drove back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Can Mark Teixeira just go away?
    We want these former players turned analysts to be forthcoming with their opinions and when they say something that we don't like then we hate them. We as fans, can't have it both ways.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    We want these former players turned analysts to be forthcoming with their opinions and when they say something that we don't like then we hate them. We as fans, can't have it both ways.
    I always hate Teix.

NYYF Legend

He's kind of an idiot, though. Does he not realize that ring on his finger is tied to Cano and Arod? He's kind of selling out his (former) friends for a media career

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I always hate Teix.
    Did you hate him in 2009?

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    He's kind of an idiot, though. Does he not realize that ring on his finger is tied to Cano and Arod? He's kind of selling out his (former) friends for a media career
    TBH, any former player that wants to be really good at being an analyst is going to have to do that as you have to be able to criticize former teammates. Now, I'm not saying he shouldn't have avoided that yesterday, but too many of these analysts never criticize players or their former teams, teammates or coaches/managers.

NYYF Legend

Did you hate him in 2009?
    Oy. No, the disdain came shortly after that. Since, it has never wavered.

NYYF Legend

TBH, any former player that wants to be really good at being an analyst is going to have to do that as you have to be able to criticize former teammates. Now, I'm not saying he shouldn't have avoided that yesterday, but too many of these analysts never criticize players or their former teams, teammates or coaches/managers.
    I tend to agree with this although I feel a little conflicted. On one hand, it seems wrong for a player to throw a former teammate under the bus, but on the other hand it is refreshing to get a legitimate opinion on a controversial topic like this from a former player instead of the usual politically correct response. As you noted in an earlier post, we can't have it both ways so I'm ultimately okay with Teixeira's comments.

I tend to agree with this although I feel a little conflicted. On one hand, it seems wrong for a player to throw a former teammate under the bus, but on the other hand it is refreshing to get a legitimate opinion on a controversial topic like this from a former player instead of the usual politically correct response. As you noted in an earlier post, we can't have it both ways so I'm ultimately okay with Teixeira's comments.
    Co-signed. Well said, sir.

NYYF Legend

It's a free country, but he's still an idiot. Reading his comments, he doesn't actually provide any new information based on his own interactions with Cano, he just cites the same publicly-known Biogenesis thing and Cano's friendship with Arod and Melky. It's almost like he's providing a bystander's opinion without the substantiation of first-hand knowledge (even though he's a first-hand-source).

This potentially diminishes his own accomplishments without adding anything new to the conversation. I just think it's a dumb thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Good thing Tex didn't drive the team bus. He would thrown a few teammates under it and drove back and forth.
    What I find interesting is that, if I am remembering correctly, Tex often had an air of suspicion whirling around him as well. He played with the users in Texas and NY. In this particular instance, I think he could have handled it a bit differently and taken a small dose of STFU before making his statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Media career which won't last long because he's about as interesting as a spoon.
    My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    Media career which won't last long because he's about as interesting as a spoon.
    I dunno, I thought his Between Two Ferns attempts were pretty funny:

NYYF Legend

Chase Headley released today.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Chase Headley released today.
    Picking him up for the minimum would be the ultimate Cashman move.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    During the Biogenisys investigation it came out that Cano had ties to someone who worked there but they (MLB) where never able to bust him. I know the Yankees were concerned about that association and I have always believed it was a factor in not retaining him.
    I love this revisionist history narrative coming out now since the Cano PED issue arose.

The hilarious idea that Cashman and Co. were so shrewd and knew not to extend Cano when he went to the Mariners. And now they were proven right!

One problem. In reality, they offered a 7-year deal totaling ~$175M and the only reason Cano isn't facing an 80-game suspension while wearing the pinstripes is because the M's topped their offer.

Please, let's not pretend Cashman tossed Cano a 5/$50M contract and dropped the mic. They wanted him back badly and were not leery of anything.

Most here, myself included, were pissed that they effectively prioritized backing the truck up for Ellsbury, a piece of glass who many here also first-guessed would be a terrible signing. I don't remember too many people saying that offering that huge contract to Robbie was a mistake. The guy played 160 games a year.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Second, it confirms my view that players and observant others, including journalists, often know and certainly knew in the McGwire-Sosa-Bonds peak period. .
    Not to mention baseball executives. Bud Selig did a great job of pretending the Mitchell report was all about the bad, bad players, but it wasn’t. I don’t understand how Brian Sabean managed to keep his job after what that report came out.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Eh. Sounds like Teix knew as much as Canseco did. I don't doubt they all knew.

Seems to me..In order to voice an opinion now, he needed to voice his opinion then. Otherwise it begs for legitimate volleys back to Tex about why his second testicle didn't drop until after he retired. "Didn't want to disrupt your pay day, Mark?"
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Dustin Fowler hit his 1st career HR tonight.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    I love this revisionist history narrative coming out now since the Cano PED issue arose.

The hilarious idea that Cashman and Co. were so shrewd and knew not to extend Cano when he went to the Mariners. And now they were proven right!

One problem. In reality, they offered a 7-year deal totaling ~$175M and the only reason Cano isn't facing an 80-game suspension while wearing the pinstripes is because the M's topped their offer.

Please, let's not pretend Cashman tossed Cano a 5/$50M contract and dropped the mic. They wanted him back badly and were not leery of anything.

Most here, myself included, were pissed that they effectively prioritized backing the truck up for Ellsbury, a piece of glass who many here also first-guessed would be a terrible signing. I don't remember too many people saying that offering that huge contract to Robbie was a mistake. The guy played 160 games a year.
    All of this.

Thread Information