+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 90 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 ... LastLast

Re: Super Bowl XLII: New York Giants vs New England Patriots

The biggest game in New York sports history. Considering everything at stake, perhaps the biggest game in history, period.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

As a Jets fan, I've never had a problem with the Giants. I tend to root for them unless they play the Jets. So, this is pretty easy for me. Go Giants!

I would give my firstborn for a Giants victory.

I want the Giants to win, not based on Giant love but Patriot hate...

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

NYYF Legend

If the Giants could ever pull this off, it would be the greatest achievement in NFL history. Forget the point spread stuff or the Super Bowl III references to the Jets. This would be the first time a team knocked off an undefeated opponent in the Super Bowl.

And understanding that has to be as big a motivator as the Patriots' drive for perfection, not to mention the litany of underestimating the Giants will perceive over the next 2 weeks.

For practical purposes, the Patriots have not been the juggernaut they were through the first 8 games. Could they light up the Giants? Sure. But the Giants have some things working for them:

1. Improved secondary play. Aaron Ross and Sam Madison will have 2 weeks to heal. In addition, Corey Webster has become the team's best corner back and Gibril Wilson is playing the best football of his career. There' no better time for them to match-up with Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and so on.

2. The Giants have a power running game with some breakaway speed from Brandon Jacobs, and a bonafide HR hitter in Ahmad Bradshaw. New York has the ability to give New England fits with those two. Plus, Bradshaw was not available in their prior meeting which is noteworthy considering he's a serious threat.

3. Eli Manning has gotten everyone involved offensively. It's not just about shutting out Plaxico Burress anymore. As we've seen, Amani Toomer, Kevin Boss, and Steve Smith can also step up and make big time plays in pressure situations.

4. Last, and certainly not least, the pass rush. If Steve Spagnuolo can generate a tick more of pressure than what Tom Brady dealt with in Week 17, in addition to the improved secondary, Brady will look a lot like he did against the Chargers.

5. It was not a coincidence that the Giants put up 35 (season high) on the Patriots, and had the down by double-digits (only team to do that), then went on the greatest playoff run in NFC history in taking out both the #1 team in the divisional round (never done), and then beat the Packers in the playoffs in a frigid Lambeau Field.

The Patriots have given up 661 yards of offense in 2 games this postseason to 2 teams (Jacksonville & San Diego) that are considerably lesser offensive teams than the Giants at this point. But, NE has held brilliantly in the redzone...
    GO YANKS
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 20, 23, 32, 37, 42, 44, 46, 49, 51

NYYF MVP

Go Pats.
    I'm a girl.

Sox/Pats fan.

It's time for fantasy baseball gdn's Avatar

Final score: 42-7

Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    Not a chance. This is gonna be closer than most people think.

Yeah. No.

I Am Legend predicts the Super Bowl:

http://picboost.com/upload/prediction.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi
    This is pretty much the worst possible scenario for me as a Jets fan (as others have mentioned earlier), but like the others, I will be a big Giants fan on Super Bowl Sunday.
    Why do you (and it seems most Jets fans on this board) dislike the Giants?? I mean...I really dont see why we should hate them. I dont have a problem with them at all, and unless they are playing the Jets....I always root for them. There is ZERO rivalry between the two teams. We play each other once every 4 years. The two teams dont hate each other, and there is really no animosity between the two fan bases. Its the complete opposite of Yankees-Mets.

Quote Originally Posted by WashingtonYankee
    I am pretty sure you can tell what kind of fan I am.
    My family is from Mass. and I am rooting for the Patriots and have since I was young.
    I also went to UMass-Amherst this past fall and it's pretty cool how well the Pats are doing. With that said, go Patriots!

A side note... My father is from Mass. and thank god, he grew up as a Yankees fan.
    You should be rooting for the Giants. Pats winning=Red Sox fans being happy=Yet another Yankees Suck chant at a Pats victory parade

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045
    Why do you (and it seems most Jets fans on this board) dislike the Giants?? I mean...I really dont see why we should hate them. I dont have a problem with them at all, and unless they are playing the Jets....I always root for them. There is ZERO rivalry between the two teams. We play each other once every 4 years. The two teams dont hate each other, and there is really no animosity between the two fan bases. Its the complete opposite of Yankees-Mets.
    I'm a Giants fan, and I don't really have any animosity towards the Jets or their fans (unless they have it towards me for some inexplicable reason); like you said, they're basically irrelevant. But I think the whole made-up rivalry comes from this trio of rooting interests that a lot of NY sports fans don't seem to think should be broken: Yankees/Giants/Rangers or Mets/Jets/Islanders. Of course, you see thousands of people who root for one of the rivals in one subset but obviously there's no real way of finding out which is the exception and which is the rule. But I think a lot of people who think narrowly like that also seem to think that anyone who roots for two of those teams is automatically their rival because of these so-called "trios" (like a Mets and Jets fan thinking it's in their blood to root against the Giants and hate their fans). A rivalry between the Yankees and Mets, Rangers and Islanders, must replicate itself between the Giants and Jets.

Or the so-called "logic" behind "I don't want hockey but I can't root for the Rangers because that's who Yankees and Giants fans root for!"
    Dieting isn't a piece of cake.
    Nobody ever says "it's just a game" when their team is winning.
    "Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball" --Jacques Barzun

NYYF Triple Crown

161 and River Ave, Long Island, Scranton,PA

The poster didn't say who though

NYYF Triple Crown

161 and River Ave, Long Island, Scranton,PA

Brady wearing a foot cast? Anyone have any idea what this is about?

http://www.pagesix.com/story/curse+work+tom+s+cast

http://www.bostonherald.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 161 and River Ave.
    Brady wearing a foot cast? Anyone have any idea what this is about?

http://www.pagesix.com/story/curse+work+tom+s+cast

http://www.bostonherald.com/
    Maybe he got disrespected by some icy New York pavement, the Pats need bulletin board material right?
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

NYYF Cy Young

Since both teams wear blue, who decides who wears the blue or who wears the white in the Super Bowl?
    David

I know what kind of pitcher Whitey was and kind of person he is. It makes me feel proud to be a Yankee. We're keeping this in the family. (On breaking Whitey's PS consecutive scoreless innings)

Quote Originally Posted by ColombiaYanksFan
    Since both teams wear blue, who decides who wears the blue or who wears the white in the Super Bowl?
    Home and away alternates every year. This year, AFC is home and NFC is away.

Thanks for the memories Kate frostdude1's Avatar

Great article talking about the significance of this game and what it means to the New York Boston rivalry

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frostdude1
    Great article talking about the significance of this game and what it means to the New York Boston rivalry

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns
    There is no lack of hubris, either. New York likes to refer to itself as the "Capital of the World." Boston goes one better as "The Hub of the Universe."
    Only in their own demented heads.

For Boston, it seems history goes through New York, and for New York, glory goes through New England. Just as it always has, just as it always will.
    Dieting isn't a piece of cake.
    Nobody ever says "it's just a game" when their team is winning.
    "Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball" --Jacques Barzun

Quote Originally Posted by Runan
    Go Pats.
    I thought I had no Patriot fans among me!
    [

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324
    People are RENTING out their homes for the weekend.
    People did that in Jacksonville too.

Quote Originally Posted by JeterRodriguezSheff
    Now that the high has come down I shall say this. If the Giants play the Patriots 10 times the Patriots would likely win 9 of those games. Its up to the G-men to make 2 weeks from now the outlier, they wont get any more chances.
    I dont know about that, this Giants team is actually better than their 10-6 record indicates.

They've won every playoff game without key personnel or banged up personnel that shouldnt have played and they seem to look better every week.....something a young up and coming team does.

I think this will be a good close exciting game.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045
    Ditto. I used to be annoyed by them, but......I have more annoying Met relatives than Giant relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze
    I dont know about that, this Giants team is actually better than their 10-6 record indicates.

They've won every playoff game without key personnel or banged up personnel that shouldnt have played and they seem to look better every week.....something a young up and coming team does.

I think this will be a good close exciting game.
    Yeah, they're 13-6 with an NFL Record 10 game road winning streak.

The Giants are going to win this football game. I cannot wait to see Brady's face when they do it. I can already see he and Randy Moss getting into it on the sideline because they can't hook up. Bradshaw and Jacobs are going to make Brusci and Vrable look old. Burress is going to own his side of the field and Harrison when he comes to help. F the Patsies.

GO BIG BLUE

Thread Information