+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 15 16 17 18
    NYYF Legend

Re: Good Yankees books forum

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks3 View Post
    "The Closer" by Mariano Rivera comes out in a few weeks

The greatest relief pitcher of all time shares his extraordinary story of survival, love, and baseball.

Mariano Rivera, the man who intimidated thousands of batters merely by opening a bullpen door, began his incredible journey as the son of a poor Panamanian fisherman. When first scouted by the Yankees, he didn't even own his own glove. He thought he might make a good mechanic. When discovered, he had never flown in an airplane, had never heard of Babe Ruth, spoke no English, and couldn't imagine Tampa, the city where he was headed to begin a career that would become one of baseball's most iconic. What he did know: that he loved his family and his then girlfriend, Clara, that he could trust in the Lord to guide him, and that he could throw a baseball exactly where he wanted to, every time.

With astonishing candor, Rivera tells the story of the championships, the bosses (including The Boss), the rivalries, and the struggles of being a Latino baseball player in the United States and of maintaining Christian values in professional athletics. The thirteen-time All-Star discusses his drive to win; the secrets behind his legendary composure; the story of how he discovered his cut fastball; the untold, pitch-by-pitch account of the ninth inning of Game 7 in the 2001 World Series; and why the lowest moment of his career became one of his greatest blessings.

In The Closer, Rivera takes readers into the Yankee clubhouse, where his teammates are his brothers. But he also takes us on that jog from the bullpen to the mound, where the game -- or the season -- rests squarely on his shoulders. We come to understand the laserlike focus that is his hallmark, and how his faith and his family kept his feet firmly on the pitching rubber. Many of the tools he used so consistently and gracefully came from what was inside him for a very long time -- his deep passion for life; his enduring commitment to Clara, whom he met in kindergarten; and his innate sense for getting out of a jam.

When Rivera retired, the whole world watched -- and cheered. In The Closer, we come to an even greater appreciation of a legend built from the ground up.

http://www.amazon.com/Closer-Mariano...dp/B00EXTQVKM/

Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware Mo had a book coming out.

Heidi
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

I echo Heidi's thank you.

Could you guys please do a review after you've read the book? Thanks!
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2017)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by PYanks View Post
    I recently read Jonathan Eig's The Luckiest Man, a biography of Lou Gehrig. The book was outstanding in terms of its research and style. I also read Pride and Pinstripes, Mel Stottlemyre's autobiography--also worth a read.
    Thanks to everyone who recommended this book. Just purchased it!

NYYF Legend

I am sure it's been mentioned but I'll give a thumbs up for "Pinstripe Empire".
    The New York Yankees from before the Babe to after the Boss. Flat out fascinating.
    Written by Marty Appel also author of "Munson".

NYYF Legend

Various excerpts from Mariano's new book can be read here:
    http://parade.condenast.com/282548/p...ng-life-story/

NYYF Legend

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Mariano's autobiography and enjoying it immensely. I'll comment on it when I've finished. In the meantime, I've heard of another Mariano book that sounds interesting and thought I'd add it to our Yankees' book list here.

Facing Mariano Rivera: Players Recall the Greatest Relief Pitcher Who Ever Lived
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/161...VUGRIP4QIOM7PP

Far from a conventional biography, Facing Mariano Rivera offers perspectives and testimonials from opponents and teammates alike, including Rivera’s minor-league roommate and the final batter he faced in the major leagues. Some opponents had uncommon success against “The Sandman,” and they share their secrets for hitting him. Most, however, echo the sentiments of five-time All-Star Mike Sweeney: “When you’re at Yankee Stadium and Mariano Rivera is coming in the game, it feels like a horror movie . . . when you hear the music and you’re scared to death, because you know what’s going to happen.”

Truly dominant pitchers come along only rarely. This book tells the reader what it’s like to battle one of the all-time best, in the words of the players who did just that.

"Babe Ruth & the 1927 Yankees Have the Best Summer Ever"

QUOTE: (Babe Ruth to a reporter) "Sure I could hit doubles to left and hit .400 every year, but there's a lot more jack in it for me in this home run business."

I rather immodestly, since I wrote it, recommend "Babe Ruth & the 1927 Yankees Have the Best Summer Ever" which was released in December. Like my other two historical novels, "King of the Hall of Flakes" (2015) about the incredibly talented and nutty Rube Waddell and "The Only Del" (Spring 2017) about the great Irish star Ed Delahanty, the Babe and the '27 Yankees book is based upon exhaustive research so that every bit of the action is realistic.
    It was fact-checked and endorsed by Steve Steinberg ("The Colonel and Hug").

When the Yankees take a train you learn the name of the train (the expensive ones all had names in those days). When the Yankees order at a restaurant it's from their 1927 menu, not the restaurant's 1925 menu. When you go to Chaplin's house what's in the foyer was really there and his pool is the special shape he ordered. (The mansion was called Breakaway House because he'd had temporary set builders from the studio put up some of the walls.)

You learn not just what's inside the Babe's locker, you find out what he kept on top for good luck. You learn what other famous movies were being shot on the sets beside the one where Ruth was filming a six-reeler called Babe Come Home. You learn why he calls Benny Bengough Googles and Earl Combs Iron Ass. You find out why conductors are startled by Waite Hoyt's reading material. You learn why first base coach Charley O'Leary should have given Crazy Hank money and what Miller Huggins sneaks off to do when the team's on the road. You learn why Bob Shawkey, the only Yankee with a tattoo, is worried about his wife, "the Tiger Lady", and how Mattie Pipgras finally got George to touch her breasts in their struggle buggy.
    The action includes the Home Run Challenge that captivates America after the mania surrounding Lucky Lindy finally dies down. In April almost superhuman Lou Gehrig is way ahead of the 32-year-old Ruth, who thought he was 33. And you find out a very surprising thing about the Babe's arch enemy the lovable Ty Cobb that becomes a central element in the second half of the book.

"Babe Ruth & the 1927 Yankees have the Best Summer Ever" and the screenplay based on it, "'27: the Best Season Ever" are designed to be a delight for Yankee fans especially after the two dreadful movies that made about the Babe. My aim for the film is for guys to come out of the theater, hop on their phones and after some searching tell their girlfriend, "Wow, Waite Hoyt really did have one in his trunk! or the Tiger Lady really did that! or the Babe really did hang out with Jack Dempsey and Flo Ziegfeld."

Thread Information