+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Good Yankees books forum

You are so nice. Very thoughtful of you to do this.
    I'm not too web savvy. My asap is like two weeks. The 2 v's in sav-vy look like a w.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you a thousand times.

I'm off to cyberspace to here my Roy White interview.

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonNY15
    I enjoyed Marty Appel's Munson book so much, I decided to write him an email. I got a response today!

And his response:

How cool is that!!

Heidi
    Marty Appel was (actually he still is as I'm posting this) in studio with Mike Francesa on WFAN this afternoon talking about Munson and his new book about him. Terrific radio and I hope WFAN puts up this segment on their website for those of you who didn't get a chance to hear it. I'll definitely be getting this book now. (Appel said Tippy Martinez acknowledge that he grooved the home run pitch to Bobby Murcer in the game after Thurman's funeral)

(I read Roy White's book - it was a "little dry")
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

After Deki's walk-off last night, i figured...................
    This is as good as time as any to throw this book out there.

"Hideki Matsui. Sportmanship, Modesty, and the Art of Home Run, by
    Shizukz Ijuin".
    Only 129 pages. I got it at the library and returned it the next day.
    I was pleasantly surprised. A quick look into the life of Godzilla and the author.

I figured Roy's book would be a little dry too. He was such a low key, soft spoken player. I don't think his book will start any fires. I will still read it as he is my all time favortie Yankee.
    So I am sure it will be entertaining for me. His interview on WFAN was way too short for me.
    I wish it could have been like 15 minutes instead of 4.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs
    Marty Appel was (actually he still is as I'm posting this) in studio with Mike Francesa on WFAN this afternoon talking about Munson and his new book about him. Terrific radio and I hope WFAN puts up this segment on their website for those of you who didn't get a chance to hear it.
    Thanks for the heads up, Muggs. I checked the FAN site and it is indeed posted:
    http://www.wfan.com/pages/744503.php

I have a rather long drive tomorrow for work, so I'll listen to it then on my mp3.

Heidi
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

NYYF Legend

Just an update...today when I got home from work, Marty's signed copy was waiting at my back door.

Heidi

Hello all, this is my first time posting in this thread. I am looking into reading some good books about Joe DiMaggio. Anybody have some favorites? Heck I'll take any recommendations!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth88
    Hello all, this is my first time posting in this thread. I am looking into reading some good books about Joe DiMaggio. Anybody have some favorites? Heck I'll take any recommendations!
    Joe DiMaggio:The Hero's Life by Richard Ben Cramer

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5
    Joe DiMaggio:The Hero's Life by Richard Ben Cramer
    Have you read it Eldee? If so, what did you think? I haven't read it yet, but it's in my To Be Read pile. I know it got mixed reviews.

Heidi

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth88
    The Hero's Life by Richard Ben Cramer. I thought this was a great book and unlike most folks, I didn't think it painted a poor picture of Joe Di (except maybe his very last years); on the contrary, I think it showed he was a real baseball player; a real competitor; and that he was highly regarded by his teammates, even if he was reserved and not overly friendly with them. It also painted a great picture of New York City in the late 40s and 50s.

NYYF Legend

Have you read it Eldee? If so, what did you think? I haven't read it yet, but it's in my To Be Read pile. I know it got mixed reviews.

Heidi
    I read it several years ago shortly after it was released and enjoyed the read. It painted a "warts and all" picture of DiMaggio but it was well done. And, as Q just mentioned, it really captured the feel of the 40's. DiMaggio's career, of course, went from Gehrig to Mantle so it covers an amazing period of Yankees' history.

Take it out of the To Be Read pile. I'll bet you'll enjoy it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5
    I read it several years ago shortly after it was released and enjoyed the read. It painted a "warts and all" picture of DiMaggio but it was well done. And, as Q just mentioned, it really captured the feel of the 40's. DiMaggio's career, of course, went from Gehrig to Mantle so it covers an amazing period of Yankees' history.

Take it out of the To Be Read pile. I'll bet you'll enjoy it.
    Thanks Eldee and Q. I should finish Roy's book tonight so Joe D. might jump to the top of the pile.

Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by The Q Bomb
    The Hero's Life by Richard Ben Cramer. I thought this was a great book and unlike most folks, I didn't think it painted a poor picture of Joe Di (except maybe his very last years); on the contrary, I think it showed he was a real baseball player; a real competitor; and that he was highly regarded by his teammates, even if he was reserved and not overly friendly with them. It also painted a great picture of New York City in the late 40s and 50s.
    Wasn't that the book where Joe's lawyer friend sold his secrets for a quick buck? I know Joe D wasn't exactly the world's most upstanding citizen, but that turned my stomach. Refuse to touch.
    "You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by penguin4
    Wasn't that the book where Joe's lawyer friend sold his secrets for a quick buck? I know Joe D wasn't exactly the world's most upstanding citizen, but that turned my stomach. Refuse to touch.
    Joe's lawyer was Morris Engelberg who wrote his own book (DiMaggio: Setting the Record Straight) after the Cramer book in an attempt to clear his name (so to speak). I recommend the Cramer book; thought it was excellent.
    A humble man of grace and dignity.
    A captain who led by example.

Just an update...today when I got home from work, Marty's signed copy was waiting at my back door.

Heidi
    Hi Heidi, Glad you got the book. Marty is a great guy. Eight years ago the Westchester, NY chapter of SABR (The Society of American Baseball Research) found my website through a Google search and invited me to one of their meetings to speak about my VoteThurmanIn.com website. At that meeting I met another speaker, Marty Appel, whose Now Pitching for the Yankees book had just been released. Marty and I have kept in touch over the years via emails. Anyways, a few years ago he contacted me and asked me to write something up for his new book. I was quoted on page 346 about my VoteThurmanIn.com website. I bought the book the day it was released, but Marty also had Doubleday, the publisher, send me a complimentary copy. My wife and I went to a Book Signing co-Sponsored by the Westcher Chapter of SABR and the Greenburgh Public library where Marty spoke about his new Munson book. It was nice seeing Marty after all of these years, and my wife and I had both copies of the book signed. Terry
    http://www.VoteThurmanIn.com Let's finally get Thurman Munson into the Hall of Fame!!!!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by VoteThurmanIn
    Hi Heidi, Glad you got the book. Marty is a great guy. Eight years ago the Westchester, NY chapter of SABR (The Society of American Baseball Research) found my website through a Google search and invited me to one of their meetings to speak about my VoteThurmanIn.com website. At that meeting I met another speaker, Marty Appel, whose Now Pitching for the Yankees book had just been released. Marty and I have kept in touch over the years via emails. Anyways, a few years ago he contacted me and asked me to write something up for his new book. I was quoted on page 346 about my VoteThurmanIn.com website. I bought the book the day it was released, but Marty also had Doubleday, the publisher, send me a complimentary copy. My wife and I went to a Book Signing co-Sponsored by the Westcher Chapter of SABR and the Greenburgh Public library where Marty spoke about his new Munson book. It was nice seeing Marty after all of these years, and my wife and I had both copies of the book signed. Terry
    Very cool story, Terry! I've actually visited your site after I also found it while surfing around. Good luck with your effort.

Heidi

NYYF Legend

Don't think this warrants its own thread, so I thought I'd post it here.

Marty Appel will have a book signing and discussion at Yogi's museum on August 2, which of course will be the 30th anniversary of Thurman's death.

http://www.yogiberramuseum.org/events/269

I'd love to go, but I'll be at the Yankees/White Sox game in Chicago. If anyone else is planning on going, please let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Heidi

NYYF Legend

Peter Golenbock will be at Haslam's bookstore in St Pete on Wednesday at 3 P.M., for all you folks going to Wednesday's game at the Trop.

NYYF Legend

Here's an Canton, OH paper's review of Marty Appel's Munson:
    http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/x154...hy-no-tell-all

I liked this part:
    Will the 30th year bring an end to the Munson remembrances?

“Not in New York,” Diana Munson said. “They still, after 30 years, remember him fondly. I hope they never forget."
    Heidi

NYYF Legend

ESPN.com has posted an excerpt of Munson:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...e=MLBHeadlines

Heidi

Devoted Member
    467 miles from Yankee Stadium (Cleveland)

These are excellent stories about Munson and especially about Marty Appel. I have found him to be a very enjoyable writer. I must second all of the positive comments about the book, Munson. I finished it about a week ago while away on vacation. It was a great read. What a great player and person, and many kudos to Marty Appel for his dedication in writing this book.
    "You don't play the games on paper....you have to play the games."
    --Derek Jeter

Devoted Member
    467 miles from Yankee Stadium (Cleveland)

I also took on vacation with me American Icon: The Fall of Roger Clemens and the rise of Steroids in America's Pastime. What can I say? This book is packed with detail, is tightly written, and reads like a great lawyer novel...but you can't make this stuff up, and we all know it is a true story. Much research has been done by the Daily News investigative team who wrote this book, and I was fascinated by how much I didn't know. I think, as they quote Rep. Elijah Cummings durin the Congressional hearning (p. 381), that Cummings said it best about Roger Clemens: "It's hard to believe you, sir. I hate to say that as--you're one of my heroes. But it's [Clemens' denials about using PEDs] hard to believe."

Whether you consider this a Yankee book or not, there's much in it about Clemens, and Pettitte. As closely as you might have been following this story over the past few years, there's sure to be detail in this book that you didn't know. If you're even remotely interested in this subject--steroids in baseball--then you'll find this a good read, perhaps better that Game of Shadows.
    "You don't play the games on paper....you have to play the games."
    --Derek Jeter

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by penguin4
    You may be right about his lawyer, but I really didn't think the book made him look bad. Towards the end they made him look a bit ... odd, but, I still think it was a great read - and I generally boycott books or movies that I feel are unfair or in which some close associate disclosed things about a celebrity that would be better left unsaid.

Released Outright

I agree with The Summer of '40 - one of my favorite books.

I heard Roy White wrote a book. Has anyone read it? I became a Yankee fan in 1967 and would love to read Roy's take on those years.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by The Q Bomb
    I heard Roy White wrote a book. Has anyone read it? I became a Yankee fan in 1967 and would love to read Roy's take on those years.
    Yes, I read it: http://forums.nyyfans.com/showpost.p...&postcount=171

It was a enjoyable, quick read.

Heidi

Released Outright

Yes, I read it: http://forums.nyyfans.com/showpost.p...&postcount=171

It was a enjoyable, quick read.

Heidi
    Thanks, Heidi. Sorry I missed your original post.

Thread Information