+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Good Yankees books forum

Quote Originally Posted by wexy
    Summer of '49 and October'64 by the late David Halberstam are great books.
    I agree. They were both great books that I read several years ago. Too bad that Halberstam lost his life in a car accident last year. He was an excellent writer.

Lets Get This Dog To Hunt! 51BWilliams's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toaderly
    Luckiest Man. Best. Yankee. Book. Ever.

Ten Rings is pretty good, also.
    Those Yankee fans who haven't read Luckiest Man are doing themselves a great disservice, absolutely fantastic.
    (Disclaimer: This post not subject to the irony of statements like 'Be careful what you wish for'. I will not be bitten in the ass without prior written consent)

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by 51BWilliams
    Those Yankee fans who haven't read Luckiest Man are doing themselves a great disservice, absolutely fantastic.
    So true...one of the best books I read. Couldn't put it down.

"Luckiest Man" is the best. Hands down.

Graig Nettles "Balls" is great. The entire book trashes Steinbrenner. It's amazing what he discusses as a current player. No wonder Steinbrenner shipped him off to San Diego after it was published.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PepperGamesAllowed
    "Luckiest Man" is the best. Hands down.

Graig Nettles "Balls" is great. The entire book trashes Steinbrenner. It's amazing what he discusses as a current player. No wonder Steinbrenner shipped him off to San Diego after it was published.
    Oh wow....I'll have to check that one out.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi
    One book that I haven't seen mentioned that I enjoyed was Taking on the Yankees. It's basically a book discussing the history of the business of baseball and how it has changed, and the Yankees and their history are discusses thoroughly in it. I found it very interesting.
    Loved that one too. Very well done and interesting.

Ladies & Gentlemen, The Bronx is Burning was the best book I read last year. It was exponentially better then the ESPN series.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan
    Loved that one too. Very well done and interesting.

Ladies & Gentlemen, The Bronx is Burning was the best book I read last year. It was exponentially better then the ESPN series.
    Good to know....I have that but haven't started it yet.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Good to know....I have that but haven't started it yet.
    I'll never steer you wrong.

NYYF Cy Young

When I was a kid I read "My Favorite Summer 1956" by Mickey Mantle and Phil Pepe about 30 times. I think it was about the only book report I ever did. It's a really easy read, I'd recommend it to those with kids, although I think there's a few quotes that use profanity. My parents let me watch Major League when I was like 8, so that wasn't a big deal for me but I suppose it might be for some.

The only sports books I've read in the past few years aren't Yankee specific (Game of Shadows, Love Me Hate Me, MoneyBall, etc.) I'll definitely have to look at some of these previously mentioned books.
    I have to return some videotapes.

I'd recommend Derek Jeter's autobiography, The Life You Imagine. It's especially recommended for high school aged people trying to make good decisions in life, but all ages who admire Derek Jeter would enjoy the book. I'm still so amazed that he was focused on a specific career goal so early in his life and managed to achieve it!

I've read October Men, Murderer's Row, and the Duke of Havana (El Duque book). All were very good.

The Bronx is Burning

Emperors And Idiots

New York Yankees: The First 25 Years

The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty

October 1964

Luckiest Man

Coffee Table Books:

Memories of the Mick

New York Yankees: The Official Retrospective

Yankee Stadium

Joe DiMaggio: The Yankee Clipper

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar

Yankee Stadium by Ray Robinson and Christopher Jennison was pretty good and informative. As was Bleeding Pinstripes by Filip Bondy.
    Dieting isn't a piece of cake.
    Nobody ever says "it's just a game" when their team is winning.
    "Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball" --Jacques Barzun

NYYF Legend

If you want to learn about the early history of the Yankees read "Before They Were The Bombers". A great book about the early history (1903-1915) of the Yankees.

NYYF Legend

"Dynasty: 1949-1964. When Rooting for the Yankees Was Like Rooting For U.S. Steel," by Peter Golenbock. A few factual errors but a great oral history of the Yankees in that era.

"Steinbrenner's Yankees," Ed Linn. 1982. A highly critical look at the first decade or so of Steinbrenner's ownership.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by penguin4
    I've always been a big fan of Murderer's Row by G.H. Fleming, which is a compilation of newspaper articles and other primary sources from the 1927 season. Waite Hoyt had a huge hand as a consultant in the editing process, as well as wrote the forward a couple months before he died -- and it's probably one of the few things ever written about the '27 team by one of the players themselves (ghostwritten columns don't count). [Note: It may be out of print, but most libraries have it, and used copies are always floating around the web.]
    Seconded. Its predecessor, Fleming's "The Unforgettable Season," about the 1908 National League race, might be the best baseball book I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman
    Seconded. Its predecessor, Fleming's "The Unforgettable Season," about the 1908 National League race, might be the best baseball book I've ever read.
    Ooh, I've been wanting to check that one out ever since I read Cait Murphy's Crazy '08 -- another ridiculously well-researched (not to mention well-written) book. Only a few pages on the Yankees in there (and seeing as they finished dead last that season and weren't quite The Yankees yet, it's pretty obvious why), but still worth checking out for any baseball history fan.
    "You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

"The Year They Called Off The World Series: A True Story" by Benton Stark details the 1904 BB season which the Yankees (Highlanders) were a major part of.

Devoted Member
    467 miles from Yankee Stadium (Cleveland)

This forthcoming book just came to my attention:
    Yankee for Life: My 40-Year Journey in Pinstripes, by Bobby Murcer
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...etshrinecom-20
    "You don't play the games on paper....you have to play the games."
    --Derek Jeter

NYYF Legend

Yankees Where have you gone? by Maury Allen.......Catching up with Dooley Womack, Tommy Henrich, Sparky Lyle and other Yankees of old............good read..........
    If you understand,
    things are just as they are;
    If you do not understand,
    things are just as they are.
    Zen proverb

Calendar of Updates
    www.calendarofupdates.org

Paul O'Neill Day: Do it Retire21's Avatar

I'll try to mention some different books or at least re-iterate some other books' greatness:

Stengel by Robert Creamer is great. I laughed out loud while reading it numerous times- Stengel was a funny guy. Babe, also by Creamer, is the best book on Ruth ever written.

Summer of 49 by David Halberstam is the 2nd best baseball book I haver ever read (the 1st is The Glory of Their Times).

October 1964, also by Halberstam, is great but it is a depressing read if you're a Yankee fan. It kind of reads like Olney's book because the Yankees were holding on to their dynasty for dear life while the realities of years of ignoring African American players were about to hurt the Yankees.

A Legend in the Making: The New York Yankees in 1939 is a great read if you're interested in reading about quite possibly the greatest Yankee team of all-time. The book details Gehrig's situation and how the team handled it. Great book.
    2010 Yankees: Believe

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PYanks
    This forthcoming book just came to my attention:
    Yankee for Life: My 40-Year Journey in Pinstripes, by Bobby Murcer
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...etshrinecom-20
    Thanks for the heads up, PYanks! Murcer is one of my favorites, so this one will be pre-ordered.

Heidi
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

Devoted Member
    467 miles from Yankee Stadium (Cleveland)

Just finished Bombers: An Oral History of the New York Yankees. I liked it very much as it smoothly navigates Yankees history as told by players, both ours and opponents. The only real downside is that it skips right over the 1981-1996 era completely, with only a sentence to discuss it. Otherwise, an interesting book.
    "You don't play the games on paper....you have to play the games."
    --Derek Jeter

NYYF Legend

I started "The Greatest Game: The Yankees, the Red Sox, and the Playoff of '78" by Richard Bradley last night and couldn't put it down!

There are a few factual errors (for example, he said Yogi was 22 [instead of 32] at the time of the Copa fight, which meant that he was 11 when he made his Yankees debut...LOL), but overall it's been very good. I was afraid it would have been biased toward the Red Sox, but it's been very even handed. In fact, he even seems to side a bit with Thurman in the Fisk vs. Munson debate.

Heidi

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonNY15
    I started "The Greatest Game: The Yankees, the Red Sox, and the Playoff of '78" by Richard Bradley last night and couldn't put it down!

There are a few factual errors (for example, he said Yogi was 22 [instead of 32] at the time of the Copa fight, which meant that he was 11 when he made his Yankees debut...LOL), but overall it's been very good. I was afraid it would have been biased toward the Red Sox, but it's been very even handed. In fact, he even seems to side a bit with Thurman in the Fisk vs. Munson debate.

Heidi
    I finished the book on Wednesday night and it was very good. Even though we obviously know the outcome of the game, the author manages to holds the reader's interest with a lot of backstory and in-game details.

Again, there were some errors that should have been caught in editing (at one point he writes about a ball hit to RIGHT FIELD just inside the 3RD BASELINE). But overall, it was very good.

ESPN.com has an excerpt, in case anyone is interested in reading it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...9&sportCat=mlb

Heidi

Thread Information