+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Released Outright

Re: Good Yankees books forum

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Reading it now. Fascinating.
    Is this book pretty much a good one stop all for Steinbrenner reading, meaning if you read no need to read the other George books, this covers all?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Throgs View Post
    Is this book pretty much a good one stop all for Steinbrenner reading, meaning if you read no need to read the other George books, this covers all?
    Yes, it covers a lot, but I hesitate to say that any one book is the only book you need on any topic. Getting a perspective from different authors always helps round out the picture. That said, I would highly recommend the Madden Steinbrenner book.

You asked in another post about a book on Gehrig. I don't know if you've read through this entire thread or not, but Luckiest Man by Jonathan Eig must account for 20% of the posts in this thread. Excellent, excellent book. Not just a great Yankee book, but a great book.

Heidi
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

Released Outright

Anybody comment on this book?

Released Outright

Anybody?
    Sultans of Swat a good read or is it pretty meh?

Also, any good Babe Ruth books?

Devoted Member

Anybody?
    Sultans of Swat a good read or is it pretty meh?

Also, any good Babe Ruth books?
    "The Life that Ruth Built" by Smelser
    "Babe Ruth: The Legend Comes to Life" by Creamer
    "Babe Ruth" by Meany (short but good)
    "The Big Bam" by Montville (haven't read it, Montville is a Red Sox weinie, so he probably slants it towards Babe's Boston days, but I've heard it's good)
    Mays played baseball. Mantle was baseball.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Bomber View Post
    "The Life that Ruth Built" by Smelser
    "Babe Ruth: The Legend Comes to Life" by Creamer
    "Babe Ruth" by Meany (short but good)
    "The Big Bam" by Montville (haven't read it, Montville is a Red Sox weinie, so he probably slants it towards Babe's Boston days, but I've heard it's good)
    I read the Creamer book and enjoyed it. Some have criticized it and accused him of perpetuating myths, but with the Babe, who's to tell today what is fact and what is fiction?

Heidi

NYYF Cy Young

Anyone read Me and My Dad : A Baseball Memoir by Paul O'Neill?

Addicted Member

The Truth about Ruth...a great read about many of the unkown secrets not only about the babe but also about the yankees in genereal
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

Hey do you guys know of any good analytical/front office books? I'm looking for something like The Last Night of the Yankees Dynasty, Moneyball, or the Extra 2%. I've already read books like Baseball Between the Numbers so I'm looking for real life front office stories.

I am reading this.

I am up to 1954, just a great detailed book, with excellent stories about the ball players.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    I am reading this.

I am up to 1954, just a great detailed book, with excellent stories about the ball players.
    Read it when it first came out, back in the Jurassic, I think. I vaguely remember feeding my apatasaur between chapters. But I digress. I enjoyed it quite a bit; Golenbock hadn't descended to the depths of hackdom yet, and he did a lot of legwork catching up with the players from that era.

I'm plowing slowly through the Steinbrenner book now, too many distractions to just get it done. It should be in the library of every school of abnormal psychology. George was a truly twisted person, although I still believe he belongs in Cooperstown for his grasp of the realities of post free agent baseball. A classic document of a bipolar personality.

Read it when it first came out, back in the Jurassic, I think. I vaguely remember feeding my apatasaur between chapters. But I digress. I enjoyed it quite a bit; Golenbock hadn't descended to the depths of hackdom yet, and he did a lot of legwork catching up with the players from that era.

I'm plowing slowly through the Steinbrenner book now, too many distractions to just get it done. It should be in the library of every school of abnormal psychology. George was a truly twisted person, although I still believe he belongs in Cooperstown for his grasp of the realities of post free agent baseball. A classic document of a bipolar personality.
    The other good thing about the Dyansty book is that since it was written so long ago the players were either still alive and still young. So far its great.

NYYF Legend

I hope it's the Bill Madden biography of Steinbrenner from earlier this year that you're reading and not the atrocious Golenbock biography that was released in 2010. Madden's is excellent. Golenbock's is a disaster.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    I hope it's the Bill Madden biography of Steinbrenner from earlier this year that you're reading and not the atrocious Golenbock biography that was released in 2010. Madden's is excellent. Golenbock's is a disaster.
    Yes, Madden. As I said above Golenbock's work since Dynasty is basically garbage.

Just finished this, couldnt put it down.

NYYF Legend

Two new Yankees books coming soon that I'm waiting for:

Driving Mr. Yogi: Yogi Berra, Ron Guidry, and Baseball's Greatest Gift, released 040312, and Pinstripe Empire: The New York Yankees from Before the Babe to After the Boss by Marty Appel (former Yankees PR man) released 050812.

Both should be very good.
    Heidi

NYYF Legend

I just finished 56: Joe DiMaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports and I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the book. It's an excellent read, very well written (which BTW seems to be no small feat these days--I'm so tired of reading books with endless factual, grammatical and spelling errors.) Kennedy truly captured the feel of the nation in 1941. His discussions with past and present day players also give good insight as to how hallowed and unreachable this record truly is. I highly recommend this book.
    I too enjoyed 56: Joe DiMaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports. I read mostly biographies and historical books, so for me this was the best of both worlds. In that respect it reminded me of Ladies and Gentlemen, the Bronx is Burning about 1977. But that one focused much more on the non-baseball stuff going on that summer (blackout, election, Son of Sam, etc.). 56 was a nice blend of Joe and the historical events of the day, but it focused much more heavily on Joe, which gave the reader an idea of how his streak was viewed by the nation, baseball fan or not. The added comments and insight of modern ballplayers, scorekeepers, and umps about the streak were also interesting. I've never been a huge fan, but I actually wished the Pete Rose section was longer.

Highly recommended.

Heidi

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonNY15 View Post
    Two new Yankees books coming soon that I'm waiting for:

Driving Mr. Yogi: Yogi Berra, Ron Guidry, and Baseball's Greatest Gift, released 040312, and Pinstripe Empire: The New York Yankees from Before the Babe to After the Boss by Marty Appel (former Yankees PR man) released 050812.

Both should be very good.
    Heidi
    I'm looking forward to Driving Mr. Yogi also. I love Yogi!
    I hadn't yet heard of the other title you mentioned but I checked out its Amazon page and it certainly looks interesting. I expect that Appel will do a good job. So Heidi, think you'll be getting a complementary, autographed copy of that one?

I'm glad you enjoyed 56. I thought it was very well done.

I know that this is the good Yankees' books forum but I'm going to pan one. A few weeks back, along with several other books I borrowed from the library, I picked up Clubhouse Confidential, the book by former Yankees' bat boy Luis Castillo. It was awful. He wanted very much to make it seem that he had inside information but he really had nothing new to tell. I read about 1/3 of the book and had to put it down; it was that poorly written. It felt as if it had been written by a sixth grader, but to say that would be an insult to intelligent middle schoolers. If anyone here was even considering it, don't waste your time.

NYYF Legend

I'm looking forward to Driving Mr. Yogi also. I love Yogi!
    I hadn't yet heard of the other title you mentioned but I checked out its Amazon page and it certainly looks interesting. I expect that Appel will do a good job. So Heidi, think you'll be getting a complementary, autographed copy of that one?

I'm glad you enjoyed 56. I thought it was very well done.

I know that this is the good Yankees' books forum but I'm going to pan one. A few weeks back, along with several other books I borrowed from the library, I picked up Clubhouse Confidential, the book by former Yankees' bat boy Luis Castillo. It was awful. He wanted very much to make it seem that he had inside information but he really had nothing new to tell. I read about 1/3 of the book and had to put it down; it was that poorly written. It felt as if it had been written by a sixth grader, but to say that would be an insult to intelligent middle schoolers. If anyone here was even considering it, don't waste your time.
    No to the complementary copy. The Munson one was more than enough.

I couldn't agree more with you, Eldee, about Clubhouse Confidential. I finished it (rarely do I not finish a book. My optimistic side, I suppose) but that'll teach me. It was a complete waste of time. Not only was it poorly written, but as you said, he made himself out to be more of an insider than he actually was, which is off-putting enough. But couple it with the fact that he has a axe to grind and mentioned every other page how he was screwed over by the Yankees, didn't get a WS ring when other "lesser" employees did, blah, blah, blah, it was not an enjoyable read.

As books by former bat boys go, Bat Boy: Coming of Age with the New York Yankees by Matt McGough is much, much better.

Heidi
    Last edited by MunsonNY15; 04-08-12 at 01:42 PM.

Devoted Member
    467 miles from Yankee Stadium (Cleveland)

Just finished Driving Mr. Yogi. This is a wonderfully heartfelt book about the Yankees as family, and of course, about the Yogi Berra-Ron Guidry relationship. It is about respect and about lasting relationships. A poignant read with some good game stories in it, I had a hard time putting this one down.

(I also agree with the comments about Clubhouse Confidential. I could not get past the first few pages.)
    "You don't play the games on paper....you have to play the games."
    --Derek Jeter

NYYF Cy Young

Anyone have any comments on:

Amazing Tales from the New York Yankees Dugout (Tales from the Team)

When it comes to baseball glory, no other team comes close to the New York Yankees, winners of forty American League pennants and twenty-seven World Series championships. Amazing Tales from the Yankee Dugout is a compilation of the funniest, strangest, and most unique stories, anecdotes, and tall tales that have been attributed to baseball’s legendary New York Yankees through the years. Fans will gain new insights about the famed Bronx Bombers that they’ve never read before. 50 black-and-white photographs

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Tales-...dp/1613210248/

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonNY15 View Post
    As books by former bat boys go, Bat Boy: Coming of Age with the New York Yankees by Matt McGough is much, much better.

Heidi
    i got this book a long time ago, i've been waiting to read this for a while now im looking forward to it.
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

NYYF Legend

I just finished "Driving Mr Yogi".

If you read only one book this year, make this one "it". A great, great read about a great man.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

I just started "Luckiest Man" today.
    Last edited by BRNXBMRS; 04-11-12 at 02:06 PM.

Thread Information