+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10
    NYYF Legend

Re: Kate Smith - GAAWWWDDD Bless America

I repeat that if the Yankees are going to do this kind of out-of-context virtue signaling, the entire song has to be banned, as its author Irving Berlin spent part of his early career writing what were called "coon shouter" songs. So don't wait for another pressure group to unearth this little nugget, Yankees, get out in front and discontinue GBA.

(Just as an aside, early in her career while still struggling to get noticed, Kate Smith was in some musical-comedy "variety" shows in which, in between songs, a comedian would make really stinging, cutting jokes about her weight. Since we're policing the past, doesn't she get any PC sympathy points for enduring "fat-shaming"?)
    "This game has a heartbeat, Brian." -- Joe Torre

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I repeat that if the Yankees are going to do this kind of out-of-context virtue signaling, the entire song has to be banned, as its author Irving Berlin spent part of his early career writing what were called "coon shouter" songs. So don't wait for another pressure group to unearth this little nugget, Yankees, get out in front and discontinue GBA.

(Just as an aside, early in her career while still struggling to get noticed, Kate Smith was in some musical-comedy "variety" shows in which, in between songs, a comedian would make really stinging, cutting jokes about her weight. Since we're policing the past, doesn't she get any PC sympathy points for enduring "fat-shaming"?)
    Ill say again that playing the song in the first place, along with the various forms of military tribute theyve had during the 7th-inning stretch, has always been its own form of virtue-signaling. Just stop the whole thing and the problem disappears.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Ill say again that playing the song in the first place, along with the various forms of military tribute theyve had during the 7th-inning stretch, has always been its own form of virtue-signaling. Just stop the whole thing and the problem disappears.
    Agree with this.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    There is no way the Yankees being tied in with a wildly racist song would blow over in a few weeks. The identity politics army would gather and relentlessly shame them for supporting racism.
    Except that it wasn't racist it was satirical

If people 200 years from now dug up all these rap songs with the N word left & right, out of context they would also say those songs were "wildly racist".

Still, Yankees don't need that headache they cut bait and moved on which was the right business decision

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Except that it wasn't racist it was satirical

If people 200 years from now dug up all these rap songs with the N word left & right, out of context they would also say those songs were "wildly racist".

Still, Yankees don't need that headache they cut bait and moved on which was the right business decision
    I totally understand and agree with you. However in this day and age it's unacceptable. As you said the Yankees don't need that headache. Good business decision.

Plus, most of the identity politics army won't admit or even care that it was satirical. That's another debate entirely. It could be 100% satirical. It just does not matter. This is why statues are being torn down and the word "slaves" was turned into "workers" in textbooks. The context of the time does not matter. All that matters is now.

As an aside: America is not perfect, it never was. And we have some pretty dark times and truly bad decisions from our past. Hell, we still make really bad choices. But no one ever said America was perfect. And the beauty of America is we learn and grow as human beings and accept that what was once considered okay is no longer. We evolve. I don't believe we should erase our errors and dark times. We should put them in context, but keep them there all the same. So we can continue to learn from them, and most importantly, not repeat them.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

And you guys are oblivious to your own virtue signaling and identity politics.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

And you guys are oblivious to your own virtue signaling and identity politics.
    Is this supposed to invalidate what I said? I don't care what it is. It's how I feel about the situation.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Is this supposed to invalidate what I said? I don't care what it is. It's how I feel about the situation.
    Im not trying to invalidate anything. Id never try to stop you from feeling what you feel. Id never mock it, other than some of your questionable choices in movies and music. I just see parallels here.

NYYF Legend

NYYF Legend

I totally understand and agree with you. However in this day and age it's unacceptable. As you said the Yankees don't need that headache. Good business decision.

Plus, most of the identity politics army won't admit or even care that it was satirical. That's another debate entirely. It could be 100% satirical. It just does not matter. This is why statues are being torn down and the word "slaves" was turned into "workers" in textbooks. The context of the time does not matter. All that matters is now.

As an aside: America is not perfect, it never was. And we have some pretty dark times and truly bad decisions from our past. Hell, we still make really bad choices. But no one ever said America was perfect. And the beauty of America is we learn and grow as human beings and accept that what was once considered okay is no longer. We evolve. I don't believe we should erase our errors and dark times. We should put them in context, but keep them there all the same. So we can continue to learn from them, and most importantly, not repeat them.

You make a lot of good points as you always do.

My main problem is that since we do not have a unified society (and I think that is a good thing) we will never get concensus on any major issue and it seems that people will have problems with almost anything, civil war statues or a song that was sung 85 years ago (why did it emerge just now?). I do not think we should go out and ban things just because a segment of our population has a problem with an issue. If we do that we can cripple our society. Some group, somewhere is always bound to have a problem with something.

I think that we as a society should sit back and take a good hard look at any issue that crops up and thoroughly evaluate it, before taking any lasting action.

Even with that I have grown sick of Kate Smith's rendition and am glad it is gone. Dare I hope to see Sinatra and Liza at feast go on vacation from YS for awhile?

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Sadly Liza, Frank and the Village people will still be heard at YS long after we are all gone.

NYYF Cy Young

I agree. It's all jingoistic pageantry. Just play ball.
    Jingoism is not Patriotism

I'll still follow the team, but only in ways that don't cost me money or provide money to the team. Can listen on the radio free of charge.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    You make a lot of good points as you always do.

My main problem is that since we do not have a unified society (and I think that is a good thing) we will never get concensus on any major issue and it seems that people will have problems with almost anything, civil war statues or a song that was sung 85 years ago (why did it emerge just now?). I do not think we should go out and ban things just because a segment of our population has a problem with an issue. If we do that we can cripple our society. Some group, somewhere is always bound to have a problem with something.

I think that we as a society should sit back and take a good hard look at any issue that crops up and thoroughly evaluate it, before taking any lasting action.

Even with that I have grown sick of Kate Smith's rendition and am glad it is gone. Dare I hope to see Sinatra and Liza at feast go on vacation from YS for awhile?

Andy
    When is this going to end! Do we condemn our founding fathers since many of them owned slaves? By the way, I believe Kate Smith raised a great deal of money selling war bonds during WWII. Do we forget she was a patriot and had millions of folowers during her live time? I still love her rendition of God Bless America!

Thread Information