+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    NYYF HOF

Re: Kate Smith - GAAWWWDDD Bless America

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Listening to New York New York is one on my fav parts. I am getting very tired of Kate Smith and with they'd replace it with Ronan.
    I agree. And I'm pretty sure there was a point where it was Kate Smith's (EDIT: or Liza's) rendition of New York New York when we lost, but Franky's when we won. I have no problem with that; it's like icing on the cake to see a Yankee win, followed by Frankie's version... if they lost, it's like "thanks for playing, try again" when you hear Kate Smith (EDIT: or Liza)....
    That said, the beginning of God Bless America by Kate Smith pains me.... deeply.

My heroes, my dreams, and my future lay in Yankee Stadium. And they canít take that away from me. óDerek Jeter

They need to get rid of this, and go back to playing Sinatra when we win, and Liza when we lose. Whoever decided to play Sinatra when we lose every now and then to "mix it up" is clueless.

Listening to New York New York is one on my fav parts. I am getting very tired of Kate Smith and with they'd replace it with Ronan.
    I wish they'd just replace it with Take Me Out to the Ballgame and be done with it.

We stand and honor America at the beginning of every single game still... don't we? No need to do it again 7 innings later, especially with that gawd awful song.
    Jose Molina saved my marriage: http://www.townsandtrails.com/road-trip-to-the-last-yankees-stadium-game

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42
    They need to get rid of this, and go back to playing Sinatra when we win, and Liza when we lose. Whoever decided to play Sinatra when we lose every now and then to "mix it up" is clueless.
    That is because this season, if they didnt mix it up, poor ole Frank wouldnt get much play
    Jose Molina saved my marriage: http://www.townsandtrails.com/road-trip-to-the-last-yankees-stadium-game

I am getting very tired of Kate Smith and with they'd replace it with Ronan.
    Ronan takes about 8 minutes to sing GBA.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3
    Ronan takes about 8 minutes to sing GBA.
    I don't care...he has a gorgeous voice and I'd do anything to get rid of Kate Smith.

And every time I see the title with "GAAWWWWDDD" in it, I hear her voice in my head singing it.

NYYF HOF

And every time I see the title with "GAAWWWWDDD" in it, I hear her voice in my head singing it.
    I did good with the title, huh? I thought I nailed it. LOL

Ronan's version can cut out the intro and be more, in Michael Kay's words, "managable" imo.

My heroes, my dreams, and my future lay in Yankee Stadium. And they canít take that away from me. óDerek Jeter

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyankee
    I'm a New Yorker and a fan of New York sports teams. I will always associate Kate Smith with the Flyers. She was theirs first and in my mind, will always be theirs.
    Same here - those Flyers were the first team I disliked as a team, and I hate Kate's version of GBA for that reason and because it's a horrible scratchy recording - I like hearing the song at every game, but I don't know why we don't get a nice new recording of Ronan Tynan (with or without intro, or maybe we could mix them) and leave it at that.

To be sane is more dramatic than to be mad - GK Chesterton, Orthodoxy

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RJ44

I did good with the title, huh? I thought I nailed it. LOL

Ronan's version can cut out the intro and be more, in Michael Kay's words, "managable" imo.
    Yeah, thanks a lot.

Clinton, NJ - The odorless part of the state

Quote Originally Posted by Nome
    But it's getting old having this song on during every home game. I feel the same about Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York" after a win. At my advanced age I don't need continual reminders of the 1940's, I'd prefer something newer. Why not replace Kate with something more modern that can still be patriotic. Moreover can't we have a list of a dozen or so patriotic songs and rotate them to keep things fresh. My same line of reasoning goes into the Sinatra song. Repition, endless repition makes us brain dead. Anyway that's how I feel.
    I personally never get tired of, "New York, New York" (big Sinatra fan, I).

I agree, the constant playing of Kate Smith's version is a bit much - there are many other fine renditions of GBA they could rotate. My issue was with some of the nasty things being said about that version.

If they could get Ronan to cut his version down to ten minutes, we'd be on to something...LOL!
    Waiting for Sterling to retire so I can start listening to games on the radio again...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRFNY
    I personally never get tired of, "New York, New York" (big Sinatra fan, I).

I agree, the constant playing of Kate Smith's version is a bit much - there are many other fine renditions of GBA they could rotate. My issue was with some of the nasty things being said about that version.

If they could get Ronan to cut his version down to ten minutes, we'd be on to something...LOL!
    I could have written your post...I feel exactly the same way about all 3.

Released Outright

Every time Kate Smith comes on I turn to my friend and say Kate Smith is a 1000

So, is it OK to sing and play God Bless America today?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs
    Fred, Of course it is. It is a great song. A classic. BUT NOT EVERYDAY.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs
    The point of this thread isn't whether or not the play God Bless America, it's whether or not to play Kate Smith's version. I certainly have no reservations about the song being played; I merely wish to hear a rendition of it that doesn't make my head hurt.

God Bless America.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962
    So be it, but it's still overkill for every single home game when no other team feels compel to do the same thing.
    Overkill..... maybe?

Maybe some of us like to remember why its played....... "The Men and Women serving our country around the world." Maybe because it is New York, not Kansas or LA.

Come on, sucking it up two minutes isn't a big deal compared to what they have to do.

Change the version that's fine, I understand. Or, another Patriotic song. But just remember it's importance.

I always thought that tribute was very meaningful when I would watch a game with my fellow Yank fans in Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ44
    The point of this thread isn't whether or not the play God Bless America, it's whether or not to play Kate Smith's version. I certainly have no reservations about the song being played; I merely wish to hear a rendition of it that doesn't make my head hurt.

God Bless America.
    I was being a bit facetious.

I've never timed it but I imagine the Kate Smith version the Yankees play is somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 seconds long. Heck, Bob Sheppard's introductory announcement is probably as long as the playing of the song. The entire thing including Sheppard's intro is probably one minute tops.... and I don't seriously believe one minute will irreparably harm anyone.

And if folks are barking about 30 seconds of Kate Smith, I shudder to think about the griping if the Yankees switch to Ronan Tynan and his Wagner opera length version of God Bless America.

The Yankees are going to play God Bless America regardless of what anyone else thinks. And if you are not a fan you may as well be happy that they're playing a short version.

edit: I timed it today - 40 seconds for Kate, I'm not sure about Bob.
    Last edited by fredgmuggs; 07-05-07 at 02:54 PM.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by WadeBoggs
    Overkill..... maybe?

Maybe some of us like to remember why its played....... "The Men and Women serving our country around the world." Maybe because it is New York, not Kansas or LA.

Come on, sucking it up two minutes isn't a big deal compared to what they have to do.

Change the version that's fine, I understand. Or, another Patriotic song. But just remember it's importance.

I always thought that tribute was very meaningful when I would watch a game with my fellow Yank fans in Iraq.
    see: national anthem, beginning of every single game

I've never liked Kate Smith's version. Why not have Ronan Tynan record a 'quick' version that they could then use going forward if they're going to do it at all? Why not mix up what Bob Sheppard says every time to make it a little more interesting? It seems so mundane and routine, that IMO it does a disservice to the people it's actually intended to honor.
    "The only thing I know about baseball is that whatever the manager does is wrong" - Moe

I'm with you . I don't like GBA, neither the song itself nor what it says. Give me Woody Guthrie any day.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Overkill..... maybe?

Keep the moment of silence for that tribute, if you like. I have no problem with that.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by Jim F.
    I've never liked Kate Smith's version. Why not have Ronan Tynan record a 'quick' version that they could then use going forward if they're going to do it at all?
    They actually played a truncated version of Ronan's rendition -- without the preamble -- this past Sunday.

It still is a little longer time-wise than Kate's version -- but I can listen to Ronan's version all day. With Kate's version, I can't wait for the song to end.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3
    Keep the moment of silence for that tribute, if you like. I have no problem with that.
    Or, you can go to the bathroom or to the concessions before the song if the concept of playing it every game bothers you so much.

Personally, playing Cotton-Eyed Joe is a far more disturbing practice than God Bless America.

Overkill..... maybe?

That's why we have the national anthem for. Also, people watch baseball games just like any other piece of entertainment in order to escape the realities of the cruel world we live in. I just think playing that song in the middle of the seventh inning is too much at this time.
    Cashman: Death Star Fully Operational

Thread Information