+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Kate Smith - GAAWWWDDD Bless America

There is a correct time for everything. A patriotic song at the beginning of any event, even an amateur event is very appropriate, as would be an additional moment of silence for the troops who have died.

But IMO the middle of a sporting event is not the appropriate time for patriotic song. I've actually viewed it as an intrusion the past few years and since have always intentionally used that time as a beer/food/bathroom break wether at the game or watching it on TV.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by chisox
    I will never forget our first home game after 9/11 which was with the Yankees. I think John McDermott sang that night.

Wasn't a dry eye in the park
    Now that night and that year it was very appropriate.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I respect others opinions but I see it as another moment to honor this great country we live in. I don't care when it's ever done ie: middle, beginning or end of a game. It just doesn't get old to me ever. I get chills each and every time and appreciate that I have a moment to honor America.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    I respect others opinions but I see it as another moment to honor this great country we live in. I don't care when it's ever done ie: middle, beginning or end of a game. It just doesn't get old to me ever. I get chills each and every time and appreciate that I have a moment to honor America.
    me, too... except when I hear that "GAAAWWWDDDDDD..." .. THAT gives me the chills.

Edited to add: Technically that still counts right, cuz I still get the chills?? LOL

My heroes, my dreams, and my future lay in Yankee Stadium. And they canít take that away from me. óDerek Jeter

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RJ44
    me, too... except when I hear that "GAAAWWWDDDDDD..." .. THAT gives me the chills.
    Agree....it's piercing. Time for a change. Someone start a petition!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldYankeeFan
    But IMO the middle of a sporting event is not the appropriate time for patriotic song. I've actually viewed it as an intrusion the past few years and since have always intentionally used that time as a beer/food/bathroom break wether at the game or watching it on TV.
    speaking of intrusion, is it true that they put chains up while it's on to stop people from leaving their seats?
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23
    speaking of intrusion, is it true that they put chains up while it's on to stop people from leaving their seats?
    That is absolutely true. This is a throwback to the old days when baseball and patriotism went hand in hand. They're just trying to stop the milling around and get people to pay attention to something bigger than their cellphones or need for another beer. On that note, I always hated the idiots who refused to remove their cap during this and the National anthem. UGH!

Addicted Member

you get the chills from hearing a recording during every home game?! from kate Smith?!

REALLY well-said

By the way - I think I saw that Stanley Cup game on TV (on WOR). I know what you guys are saying about Kate Smith and the Flyers. I always got goosebumps with the 2nd 'verse' - she repeated "from the mountains..." and ended on a (very) high note

That said, I'd be all for swapping Ronan Tynan's (recorded) version

Here's Ronan from last year's ALDS:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjrcEKq6Xnw

Edit: Game4Tino - leaving a hat on during the National Anthem or this song bugs me in a huge way.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by scooterfan
    REALLY well-said

By the way - I think I saw that Stanley Cup game on TV (on WOR). I know what you guys are saying about Kate Smith and the Flyers. I always got goosebumps with the 2nd 'verse' - she repeated "from the mountains..." and ended on a (very) high note

That said, I'd be all for swapping Ronan Tynan's (recorded) version

Here's Ronan from last year's ALDS:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjrcEKq6Xnw

Edit: Game4Tino - leaving a hat on during the National Anthem or this song bugs me in a huge way.
    Awesome. Thanks for posting that. Yeah, Tino leaving his hat on bugs me too. wtf...

Yankee Fan since May 9,1962 jimmyclark's Avatar

7th innings should be reserved for videotapes of Harry Caray singing "Take me out to the Ballgame" lubricated by a cold Budweiser.
    Maradona good.
    [SIZE=4]Pele better.[SIZE=5]
    George Best.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

I like Tynan's version better, but I think that Smith's version is fine, and I don't have a big issue with them playing it at every game. It only takes a minute.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Game4Tino
    That is absolutely true. This is a throwback to the old days when baseball and patriotism went hand in hand. They're just trying to stop the milling around and get people to pay attention to something bigger than their cellphones or need for another beer. On that note, I always hated the idiots who refused to remove their cap during this and the National anthem. UGH!
    I usually don't wear a cap. But if I did: I would always remove it for the anthem and for the moment of silence. I see no reason to remove it for GBA.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by Game4Tino
    Well, it may be all well and good that they would like to encourage people to stay put. But to force them to with chains gives me the feeling of a very serious problem. To say the least. I have a right to ignore being patriotic if I so choose. I don't do that, but I do enjoy having the right not to.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

NYYF Legend

Ok,
    I may get some crap for this, and I understand that The Boss really likes her rendition, but GOOD LORD, I can't stand hearing her "GAAAAWWWDDD" to start the song.
    Yes, I'm patriotic, yes I love America, but for the love of God, please cease and desist from piping this noise pollution throughout the Stadium.

I thought Ronan's version was great, sure it's a bit lengthy, but cut out his introduction and just play the meat of the song.

Discuss....
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Those first few notes are like fingernails on the chalkboard to me.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23
    Well, it may be all well and good that they would like to encourage people to stay put. But to force them to with chains gives me the feeling of a very serious problem. To say the least. I have a right to ignore being patriotic if I so choose. I don't do that, but I do enjoy having the right not to.
    No doubt, but the sections that they chain off during the anthem are chained off for most of the game anyway. If you don't have a ticket, you are not allowed in the lower sections and if you do, they sometimes make you wait until the end of an inning to leave your section.

NYYF Legend

Los Angeles, Ca., a transplanted New Yorker

I agree with you, Vicki. Certainly not a lot to do, take a moment out to appreciate our great country.

Although I am not crazy about Kate Smith I'm OK with the Yankees using her version, especially if they think it is going to help them win.

28 in '12

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by chisox
    Well Kate did win the Stanley Cup in 1974

Kate Smith Sings God Bless America before 1974 Stanley Cup

Kate Smith gives an incredible performance of God Bless America before the 6th game of the 1974 Stanley Cup Finals in Philadelphia. The Flyers were almost unbeatable when this song was played before games. And with Kate Smith there in person, the Bruins had no chance. Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito show her great respect and shake her hand after the stiring performance.
    I didn't think Kate Smith was still alive in 1974?

28 in '12

I remember watching a game this year on YES and I heard someone yell "Kate Smith Sucks!" right before it played. I laughed my ass off when I heard that. I think I'm gonna follow suit whenever I go to Yankees games.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Octoberbaby
    I didn't think Kate Smith was still alive in 1974?
    Very much alive. She died in 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebot
    Very much alive. She died in 1986.
    Actually, a recording of Kate Smith singing God Bless America at a bicentennial celebration is a far superior version than the one the Yankees play. She could still belt out a song in 1976.

Irving Berlin wrote the song and put it away for years without thinking about it again. When Kate Smith asked Berlin for a patriotic song that she could sing on her highly popular radio show, Berlin remembered the song he had written many years earlier.... and the rest is as they say - history. The song was given to her and she made it her own, so let her sing it. Accept no substitutes.

By the way, I don't know if this is still true or not... but for many years the Boy Scouts of America received all royalties from God Bless America through the largess of an arrangement made by Irving Berlin. If it's still true, then the monies go to a worthy cause.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Ok,
    I may get some crap for this, and I understand that The Boss really likes her rendition, but GOOD LORD, I can't stand hearing her "GAAAAWWWDDD" to start the song.
    Yes, I'm patriotic, yes I love America, but for the love of God, please cease and desist from piping this noise pollution throughout the Stadium.

I thought Ronan's version was great, sure it's a bit lengthy, but cut out his introduction and just play the meat of the song.

Discuss....
    Have you noticed, most of the singers at Yankee Stadium are dead. Kate Smith, Frank Sinatra and Robert Merrill

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs
    Actually, a recording of Kate Smith singing God Bless America at a bicentennial celebration is a far superior version than the one the Yankees play. She could still belt out a song in 1976.

Irving Berlin wrote the song and put it away for years without thinking about it again. When Kate Smith asked Berlin for a patriotic song that she could sing on her highly popular radio show, Berlin remembered the song he had written many years earlier.... and the rest is as they say - history. The song was given to her and she made it her own, so let her sing it. Accept no substitutes.

By the way, I don't know if this is still true or not... but for many years the Boy Scouts of America received all royalties from God Bless America through the largess of an arrangement made by Irving Berlin. If it's still true, then the monies go to a worthy cause.
    As I have said before, I remember her TV show which my mother used to watch. She had a theme song, When the Moon Comes Over the Mountain, which I grew to hate much more that God Bless America!

I don't mind the Yankees using her version though. The Yankees are steeped in tradition and that is one of the things I like about them.

28 in '12

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome
    Have you noticed, most of the singers at Yankee Stadium are dead. Kate Smith, Frank Sinatra and Robert Merrill

Andy
    For awhile it was looking like the team was dead too but, happily, they are looking good lately!

28 in '12

Kicking the Grim Reaper's Ass Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

I have always hated the Kate Smith version...and even more since the first time Ronan sang at the Stadium. Ronan's version should be played over Kate's...but it's time to end the practice by now. It's been more than 5 years since 9/11...they should let it fade away after this season, maybe only do it on national holidays...
    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's
    2016 NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball League Champjons

Thread Information