PDA

View Full Version : Quinnipiac Poll Finds Women Are Bigger Yankee Fans Than Men

NYDCYankee
04-17-06, 06:28 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>By a 48 - 36 percent margin New York City voters will cheer for the Yankees rather than the Mets in a Subway Series, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>In a significant gender gap, women back the Bombers 52 - 30 percent, while men split, with 43 percent for the Amazins and 41 percent for the Yankees, the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University poll finds.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Among all New York City voters, 52 percent say they are Yankees fans and 38 percent say they are Mets fans.

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Among Yankees fans, 43 percent name Derek Jeter as their favorite player, followed by 8 percent for Alex Rodriguez and 4 percent for Bernie Williams.

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Pedro Martinez and David Wright each get 10 percent when Mets fans name their favorite player, with 9 percent for Mike Piazza.

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>"New York is still a Yankees town, especially Derek Jeter's town. Women especially like the boys in pinstripes," said Maurice Carroll, director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute.

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>"He's gone, but Mets fans still have a warm feeling for Mike Piazza."

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>From April 4 - 10, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,316 New York City registered voters, with a margin of error of +/- 2.7 percentage points.

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>The Quinnipiac University Poll, directed by Douglas Schwartz, Ph.D., conducts public opinion surveys in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Florida and nationwide as a public service and for research. For additional data -- www.quinnipiac.edu or call (203) 582-5201

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>More detailed polling results can be found at this link.
http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x11370.xml?ReleaseID=903

Dog Named Fred
04-17-06, 07:18 AM
These numbers are meaningless. The poll is of registered voters. A poll of baseball fans would be much more informative. Better yet, a look at attendance would show there really is not a debate as to which team has more fans.

brosiusbuddy
04-17-06, 08:17 AM
Women love Derek Jeter like Germans love David Hasselhoff.

RhodyYanksFan
04-17-06, 08:37 AM
Women love Derek Jeter like Germans love David Hasselhoff.

...like McAdams loves Gossling.

destiNY
04-17-06, 10:31 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>By a 48 - 36 percent margin New York City voters will cheer for the Yankees rather than the Mets in a Subway Series, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>In a significant gender gap, women back the Bombers 52 - 30 percent, while men split, with 43 percent for the Amazins and 41 percent for the Yankees, the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University poll finds.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Among all New York City voters, 52 percent say they are Yankees fans and 38 percent say they are Mets fans.

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Among Yankees fans, 43 percent name Derek Jeter as their favorite player, followed by 8 percent for Alex Rodriguez and 4 percent for Bernie Williams.

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Pedro Martinez and David Wright each get 10 percent when Mets fans name their favorite player, with 9 percent for Mike Piazza.

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>"New York is still a Yankees town, especially Derek Jeter's town. Women especially like the boys in pinstripes," said Maurice Carroll, director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute.

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>"He's gone, but Mets fans still have a warm feeling for Mike Piazza."

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>From April 4 - 10, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,316 New York City registered voters, with a margin of error of +/- 2.7 percentage points.

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>The Quinnipiac University Poll, directed by Douglas Schwartz, Ph.D., conducts public opinion surveys in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Florida and nationwide as a public service and for research. For additional data -- www.quinnipiac.edu (http://www.quinnipiac.edu) or call (203) 582-5201

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>More detailed polling results can be found at this link.
http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x11370.xml?ReleaseID=903

In a given night at Yankee Stadium, the stadium is packed with the most attractive women than any other sporting event...Fans of other teams (mets, Red sox) have agreed with me...

ZYanksRule
04-17-06, 10:35 AM
Well, good to know my tuition dollars are hard at work, with that poll asking that question.

Actually, my roommate works at the poll, he tells me every Yanks fan he interviewed named Jeter, but the Mets fans couldn't name the players, with one person saying "The Hispanic one"

:lol: :lol:

PeteRFNY
04-17-06, 10:41 AM
Well, good to know my tuition dollars are hard at work, with that poll asking that question.

Actually, my roommate works at the poll, he tells me every Yanks fan he interviewed named Jeter, but the Mets fans couldn't name the players, with one person saying "The Hispanic one"

:lol: :lol:

I remeber I was in the bar at a bowling alley on Knapp street in Brooklyn in March of 1987. The Mets had just won the World Series the previous year, and the bar had a Spring Training game between the Mets and Pirates on.

Pitching for the Mets was fat Sid Fernandez. As they showed him warming up to start the game, a couple of 1987-era gals with big hair and loud, snapping gum sauntered by (in only that way they could) and one said to the other, "Oh, look - Sid HERNANDEZ. I LOVE him".

Uh huh.

m_sisca
04-17-06, 12:09 PM
i can see where this could be true, but theyre fans for much different reasons than guys are.

Chesbro41
04-17-06, 12:24 PM
i can see where this could be true, but theyre fans for much different reasons than guys are.

care to elaborate on that one?

stephsamps
04-17-06, 12:48 PM
care to elaborate on that one?

I actually wouldn't recommend that. It can only get him in trouble ;)

JamieMadrox
04-17-06, 01:19 PM
All this poll says is that a higher percentage of women that were asked are yankees fans than mets fans, it doesn't say the yankees have less male fans than female fans.

Think about it, how many women do you know who are mets fans, it makes sense.

KevinBaseball
04-17-06, 01:22 PM
In a given night at Yankee Stadium, the stadium is packed with the most attractive women than any other sporting event...Fans of other teams (mets, Red sox) have agreed with me...

Have you ever been to a knicks game? As much as I love the Yanks, I gotta give this one to the knicks.

yanksconstantino24
04-17-06, 01:28 PM

Somewhat, but this isn't true of all female Yankee fans. I root for the Yankees mainly because I like baseball and they are the team my Pop-Pop rooted for.

Just because a woman or girl likes the way Derek, A-Rod, or in the past Tino looks, it doesn't mean that she is only interested in the Yanks for that reason. (it could be, but in most cases, isn't)

Snap731
04-17-06, 04:28 PM
Somewhat, but this isn't true of all female Yankee fans. I root for the Yankees mainly because I like baseball and they are the team my Pop-Pop rooted for.

Just because a woman or girl likes the way Derek, A-Rod, or in the past Tino looks, it doesn't mean that she is only interested in the Yanks for that reason. (it could be, but in most cases, isn't)

And I'm sorry but its SO typical of a male fan to automatically JUMP on a female fan for that "OH YOU ONLY LIKE THE YANKEES B/C YOU THINK DEREK A-ROD AND TINO ARE HOT BUT YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BASEBALL!!!!!1"

Please. Listen to a woman say something and you might learn something.

As for the numbers in the poll, I'd call it great news: I can't think of a place I'd RATHER be with a girl than a Yanks game. My two favorite things at once :D

Sam18
04-17-06, 04:34 PM
Cmon now, if you're a 12 year old girl looking for a team to root for, who you gonna chose?

Jete&Tino42
04-17-06, 05:33 PM

Preach it Sister.

But, yeah this is a flawed poll anyways.

SI Baseballman
04-17-06, 06:37 PM
Just a hunch:

A Mets deep October run + David Wright's launch onto a national spotlight will create a new generation of female Mets fans.

Chesbro41
04-17-06, 06:41 PM
Cmon now, if you're a 12 year old girl looking for a team to root for, who you gonna chose?

Ghostbusters...oh, sorry

yanksconstantino24
04-17-06, 06:42 PM
And I'm sorry but its SO typical of a male fan to automatically JUMP on a female fan for that "OH YOU ONLY LIKE THE YANKEES B/C YOU THINK DEREK A-ROD AND TINO ARE HOT BUT YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BASEBALL!!!!!1"

Please. Listen to a woman say something and you might learn something.

As for the numbers in the poll, I'd call it great news: I can't think of a place I'd RATHER be with a girl than a Yanks game. My two favorite things at once :D

That's basically what I was saying. I know alot about baseball, but often people acuse me (not on this board, people I encounter everyday) of only liking the Yankees because of Tino's looks.

And, I'm sure I'm not the only one who this happens to.

Thank goodness that most men now a days know that they're not the only gender who can be baseball fans.

Sam18
04-17-06, 07:43 PM
Just a hunch:

A Mets deep October run + David Wright's launch onto a national spotlight will create a new generation of female Mets fans.

Exactly.

Chesbro41
04-17-06, 07:57 PM
Just a hunch:

A deep October run for the Mets will create a new generation of Mets fans period

effdamets
04-18-06, 07:42 AM
And also, let's not forget that the female population of this site are REALLY Yankees' and baseball fans. So you are going to hear a lot of good arguements in support of the female Yankee fan.

However, outside of this site, generally, a 13 year old girl likes the way A-Rod looks more than she is a fan of the team. That attitude goes away after a while. I've seen it with my two daughters. When they were really young, they only paid attention when Derek came to the plate (or Tino). Now, they ask me everyday, "Who's pitching tonight?"... (that makes me feel good too) Oh, they also love it when Alex is hitting....

stephsamps
04-18-06, 09:40 AM
Just a hunch:

I like David Wright, but I don't plan to be switching teams any time soon :P

Any team that does well in October is going to get a ton more people on their bandwagon. Here's to a subway series this year!

Theee Yanks win
04-18-06, 10:33 AM

i care to disagree with that one.

Snap731
04-18-06, 11:11 PM
However, outside of this site, generally, a 13 year old girl likes the way A-Rod looks more than she is a fan of the team. That attitude goes away after a while. I've seen it with my two daughters. When they were really young, they only paid attention when Derek came to the plate (or Tino). Now, they ask me everyday, "Who's pitching tonight?"... (that makes me feel good too) Oh, they also love it when Alex is hitting....

Ok, but everyone needs SOME initial reason to become interested in something. Then they get to know it and they can know a lot about it.

Like me with Desperate Housewives.

yankees27
04-18-06, 11:46 PM
I'm a fifteen year old female Yankees fan. And although I find certain players attractive, I consider their OBP and batting average far more important than their looks. I hate the assumption that I'm a fan girl who only watches to get a look at Jeter and A-Rod.

NYDCYankee
04-18-06, 11:58 PM
I'm a fifteen year old female Yankees fan. And although I find certain players attractive, I consider their OBP and batting average far more important than their looks. I hate the assumption that I'm a fan girl who only watches to get a look at Jeter and A-Rod.

But what if the player has a OBP over .400 AND is hunky?

yankees27
04-19-06, 12:26 AM
But what if the player has a OBP over .400 AND is hunky?
All the better then. ;)

VFBundy
04-19-06, 06:25 AM
But what if the player has a OBP over .400 AND is hunky?I'm a guy, and Jeter's .467 OBP makes even ME moist, so I can't begin to imagine what you ladies must think!! :D

BrooklynBotz
04-19-06, 10:36 AM
I remeber I was in the bar at a bowling alley on Knapp street in Brooklyn in March of 1987. The Mets had just won the World Series the previous year, and the bar had a Spring Training game between the Mets and Pirates on.

Pitching for the Mets was fat Sid Fernandez. As they showed him warming up to start the game, a couple of 1987-era gals with big hair and loud, snapping gum sauntered by (in only that way they could) and one said to the other, "Oh, look - Sid HERNANDEZ. I LOVE him".

Uh huh.
Mark Roth lanes. I miss that place. I grew up a few blocks away.

Snap731
04-19-06, 11:39 AM
I'm a guy, and Jeter's .467 OBP makes even ME moist, so I can't begin to imagine what you ladies must think!! :D

I think I am 100% heterosexual but when A-Rod steals second... i dunno man...

Chesbro41
04-19-06, 02:45 PM
Ok, but everyone needs SOME initial reason to become interested in something. Then they get to know it and they can know a lot about it.

I became a Yankee fan because my father was one...you?

IntentionalWalk
04-19-06, 09:36 PM
Yankee Chicks must have low standards;-)

Randy Johnson named second "unsexiest" guy in the US next to Gilbert Gottfried.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/19/people.unsexy.reut/index.html

Rich
04-19-06, 09:59 PM
Men are idiots.

Snap731
04-19-06, 11:54 PM
I became a Yankee fan because my father was one...you?

I was born in the Bronx and my family took me to games and it just sorta snowballed from there.

I'll tell ya one thing though; I'm first-generation American (My parents are immigrants) and NOTHING my whole life makes me feel more American than baseball.

CharmedForever61
06-06-06, 11:10 PM

Any team that does well in October is going to get a ton more people on their bandwagon. Here's to a subway series this year!

I like David Wright, too. He's really talented as a ballplayer and can hit for power(check my profile).Mets aren't a bad team to watch, they're young and exciting and being they are a New York team. Since the Yankees will be always #1 in my book, it's the effing Queens from Beantown that I truly despise with all my heart.

I also agree with the fact that when one of the New York baseball teams does well during the season then people like jumping on the bandwagon. It's just how things go here in this city.

Pam

GoYanks
06-06-06, 11:22 PM
Preach it Sister.

But, yeah this is a flawed poll anyways.

Ditto, my grandfather was going to the Stadium when it opened.

Yankees13
06-07-06, 03:13 AM

In which way? :eek: