PDA

View Full Version : Why pitch to Bonds?

Rocketman
06-05-01, 11:42 PM
Why would anyone ever pitch to Bonds? You've got to be an idiot to do so. The guy just hit his 31st homer. His OPS is about 1.400.

If I were an opposing pitcher, no matter what the situation, I'd walk Bonds intentionally EVERY time. At least Kent has a bad day every now and then. Bonds has gone NUTS since May 17th- since then he's hit a ridiculous amount of homers. If I'm not mistaken, he's hitting about .300 since then.... if only home runs count as hits.

Why pitch to him?

rock
06-06-01, 12:31 AM
Why pitch to Manny either?

Rocketman
06-06-01, 01:13 AM
Walking Bonds every time would result in a 1.000 OBP and a 0.000 SLG, adding up to a 1.000 OPS.

This isn't altogether accurate. As everyone knows, the average MLB player's SLG. is 1.28 times the OBP. So if we take this ADJUSTED OPS, we'd get a 1.280 OPS* for Bonds if we walked him every time.

If we took his adjusted OPS right now, it would be about 1.550.

It's STILL more worthwhile to walk him every time up- at least he won't get any RBI that way! Sure, he'll score a ton of runs, but right now he has more home runs than Griffey, McGwire, Sosa, Frank Thomas, Mo Vaughn, and any Yankee COMBINED.

Don't pitch to him! Since May 17 he has appeared in 18 games. In that time he hit 16 homers. If he kept that pace up for a whole season, he'd hit 144. Insane!

Gator
06-06-01, 01:41 AM
Do you remember when, two years ago, Buck Showalter had Bonds intentionally walked WITH THE BASES LOADED, in a two-run game? Turns out it was the right move, as the next batter made an out, and the D-Backs won by one run.

bagger015
06-06-01, 01:46 AM
He is having one hell of a year so far. Great player unfortunately poor attitude. :)

SanFrANSKY
06-06-01, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Rocketman

Don't pitch to him! Since May 17 he has appeared in 18 games. In that time he hit 16 homers.

And since May 17th San Francisco has gone 7-12 and dropped to fourth place with a .500 record. Why not pitch to Bonds? If he gets his home runs and teams can still beat the Giants, it'd be awfully hard to sell this strategy.

CaptainCargo
06-06-01, 10:53 AM
Rocket: Yep he's scary bud. He's got an OBP of .478 so far this year. But even more amazing it that his slugging percentage is hovering around .900 this year!! And his career disparity in walks to strikouts is fantastic.(Lou Gehrigs was phenomenal) I think for his career Bond's has 1231 SOs and a whopping 1599 walks. For a power hitter its rare that they considerably have more walks than SOs.

By the way Babe had 1330 Ks 2056 BBs.

Lou Gehrig?? 790 K's 1508 Bs Phenomenal!!

Casey

WindRavenX
06-07-01, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by rock
Why pitch to Manny either?
That's the first thing that popped into my mind.
As far as I'm concerned, if it's a close game w/ men on base, you walk him.
Bases empty, 4 run lead, you can gamble.
Same with Bond.

koko
06-07-01, 03:22 PM
How about DiMaggio? 790 BB's 369 K's 361 HR's

cman
06-08-01, 07:10 AM
walks score
thats why you dont walk him EVERY time up.

Let's say you did walk him EVERY time, then the guy behind him would get very good at hitting, as he would see a lot of pitches. What would you do Bonds went to the Cubs and hit in front of Sosa? That would not be fun for the other team ;)

Personally, Id like to see him in pinstripes. Batting cleanup. That would be nice.

JeanC
06-08-01, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by SanFrANSKY

And since May 17th San Francisco has gone 7-12 and dropped to fourth place with a .500 record. Why not pitch to Bonds? If he gets his home runs and teams can still beat the Giants, it'd be awfully hard to sell this strategy.

:) :) :) :) :)

and I say.....

"ditto" !!!

Great reply San Fransky!!

WHY Not Pitch To Bonds!?! Just cause he hits Homeruns doesnt mean his team will win every game! Just look at the Cardinals with McGuire, the Cubs with Sosa or the Rangers & Payrod ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ) !! Where is each team now in the standings?! Can you tell me that they will be in first at the end of the season because of Homerun Record Hitters??!!
Whose to know?!

:D

yankeesrule2000
06-10-01, 01:38 PM
i say pitch to him, if he has a chance to break a record let him do it, if he is good enough to hit 70 plus homeruns, why stand in his way... he doesnt hit with men on base, he is not really going to hurt you, he puts one run on the board most of the time.. i would pitch to him....

YanksNoHitter96
06-12-01, 12:26 AM
Hey, you DO realize your advice to pitchers is to allow Bonds to make them look bad , right? If it gives your team a chance to win, you pitch around certain players. Bonds is one of these guys. You don't pitch to him because he "has a legitimate chance to hit 70 homers". Im sorry, baseball is about strategy, not an everyday home run derby.