PDA

View Full Version : I need some help from someone around the NY area

SuperMario66
06-04-01, 10:39 PM
I am coming to New York this weekend for the Braves series and i was wondering if you could tell me what kind of weather to expect. Also, other than the games, what one thing would you recomend I do while I am in the area?

Thanks,
Misti

Chris
06-05-01, 06:15 AM
I hate to be the one to tell you but pack for rain.

What other things do you like to do?

madforyanks
06-05-01, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by chriscary
What other things do you like to do?

LOL. You can do almost anything you want to do in Fun City, from G-rated to XXX-rated. You can get a take on all of it just by strolling around the UrboDisney/Times Square area. ;)

Have fun!

mish1019
06-05-01, 10:15 AM
i usually check weather.com a couple of days before game day to see what to expect. the zip code for yankees stadium is "10451" enter that on the web site, and it will give you the local forecast.

KENMonteSS86
06-05-01, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by chriscary
I hate to be the one to tell you but pack for rain.

Where did you hear that, Chris?? I hear Sunny from 72-76 for all 3 days...

I'll be at the Saturday game!!!

Anybody going to be there???

Chris
06-05-01, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by KENMonteSS86

Where did you hear that, Chris?? I hear Sunny from 72-76 for all 3 days...

I'll be at the Saturday game!!!

Anybody going to be there???

One of the news shows.

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday

seahorse
06-05-01, 06:27 PM
Take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry for $.25 (it might be .50$ not sure) Then walk up to the South Street Seaport get some dinner. Fart around the Village. Buy some lingerie. Play some handball. Have some fried calamari, cannoli, margharitas, lobster. Buy some leather goods, a chillum, some shoes. Check out a jazz joint. Hang out in Washington Square Park. Try not to get your pockets picked. Make believe you're Abbie Hoffman, Edgar Allan Poe, Eugene O'Neil, Ed Koch. Go to Times Square. Go to the Empire State Building.Go to Macy's.Go to Grand central Station, The Public Library, The Met, The Guggenheim, The Frick. Go to Central Park, Riverside Park, The Bronx Botanical Garden, The Bronx Zoo, Arthur Avenue (more cannoli). Go to the U.N. That about covers it. :cool:

CarolR
06-05-01, 06:40 PM
I will be there for Sunday nights game! Umbrella give away---Hope we won't need them!!

toots
06-05-01, 09:28 PM
To add to seahorse's list take the Circle Line around the harbor, go to the Statue of Liberty, the Bronx Zoo ( the other one), the Museum of Natural History, take in a play, see the Intrepid.

Slippery Elm
06-05-01, 09:36 PM
The Staten Island Ferry has been free for years.

As for the weather, let me consult my soothsayer.

seahorse
06-05-01, 10:01 PM
Circle line definitely!! :cool:

allybear
06-05-01, 10:34 PM
I did a huge post about things to do in NYC, but unfortunately, I can't find it!

Jim...is it still around anywhere? I searched in the conversation archive, but couldn't find it! HELP!

If not, I will e-mail you with the info.

Keep smiling and have fun in New York...:)

SuperMario66
06-05-01, 11:43 PM
Thank you guys soooo much for all your help! I will be praying for no rain the next few days I guess. Oh BTW, we did have to buy tickets to see the statue of liberty, we bought them online. Thanks again for all your help.

Misti

Ct.Fan
06-06-01, 07:56 AM
Re: Statue of Liberty Tour...Go early in the morning (8am). The crowds swell as the day goes on. On a hot day it can be a hassle. Enjoy!

honi_soi
06-06-01, 06:05 PM
All excellent suggestions. I'm a fan of the Metropolitan museum. On Friday and Saturday, it's open until 8:45. They have live chamber music on the mezzanine tier in the grand entrance hall. You can sit at a candle lit table, in an incredible space and listen to live chamber music while you sip a glass of wine, beer, whatever. You can sit as long as you want. No extra charge for the music, though you do have to pay to get into the museum and for the drink. It's a very nice experience. Music starts around 4:30 or 5:00, I think. I think they knock off around 8:00.

honi_soi
06-06-01, 06:07 PM
Also, I forgot:

Central Park has a great old fashioned carousel! It's relatively cheap (this is NYC) and fun to ride, no matter your age.

allybear
06-06-01, 09:42 PM
Misti,

Here is the link to my incredibly long list of tourist suggestions, although everyone else here has come up with some I didn't even mention. I prepared it for people coming to NY for the Forum Party, but a lot of it should come in handy.

http://www.bronx-bombers.com/shared/nyinfo.html

Have fun in the big city and keep smiling...:)