PDA

View Full Version : Are you pleased with Yankees coverage?

chelloveck
02-09-06, 10:20 AM
Yankees coverage to me seems at times thin. Fans of other teams I'm sure have it worse but I feel that the coverage available from our local news sources is just kind of skimpy. I think that as Yankee fans we probably deserve better.

The Boston Globe has a great section for their local Red Sox, which includes multiple photo galleries, numerous articles, rumors section, a link to Bostondirtdogs.com, etc. You have to admire the detail in the coverage. Many might not find these add-ons as interesting but it is way ahead of what the NY Post and the News offer online. Also, when reading the Times you can breathe the Sox bias in it being that they own a percent of that team.

Sometimes after a big win or something shocking I want more than a recap of what went on or a generic and neutral article from the AP telling me what went on.

NY sports media.... entertain us!! Do you agree with me?

PS: This site is what feeds that extra info I seek :P

InterlockingNY
02-09-06, 10:42 AM
I agree, for the most part the local papers are thin with Yankee coverage. On top of being thin,they have little trolls like Lupica writting about how big the yankee payroll is. However, I think the coverage on YES, with there pre and post games, more then make up for the cheesy newspaper coverage. They do a half hour pregame and an hour postgame, for every game. Not to mention, the replays in game are sick. I really notice how good YES is when we get stuck watching those two red sox loving turds on Fox. Overall, Im happy with the coverage

KevinBaseball
02-09-06, 11:28 AM
Stop crying, I moved to Washington, DC 8 years ago and envy the people who are able to watch every game without paying a gigantic cable bill.

BeantownYankee
02-09-06, 12:33 PM
Yankees coverage to me seems at times thin. Fans of other teams I'm sure have it worse but I feel that the coverage available from our local news sources is just kind of skimpy. I think that as Yankee fans we probably deserve better.

The Boston Globe has a great section for their local Red Sox, which includes multiple photo galleries, numerous articles, rumors section, a link to Bostondirtdogs.com, etc. You have to admire the detail in the coverage. Many might not find these add-ons as interesting but it is way ahead of what the NY Post and the News offer online. Also, when reading the Times you can breathe the Sox bias in it being that they own a percent of that team.

Sometimes after a big win or something shocking I want more than a recap of what went on or a generic and neutral article from the AP telling me what went on.

NY sports media.... entertain us!! Do you agree with me?

PS: This site is what feeds that extra info I seek :P

The globe also indirectly owns part of the Red Sox...so it's in their interest. That being said I do agree that the Sox are covered by the media much more that the NY media covers the Yankees. Then again the NY Media covers basketball and Hockey must more than the Boston Media.

iodon
02-09-06, 01:22 PM
This post also highlights another issue, the New York Times is a partial owner of the Boston Red Sox and NESN. A small portion, but an owner. That means the most "respected" paper in NYC has a competitive interest when reporting on the Yanks. I can not understand why they don't have do divulge this in every Yankee article. Sources like CNN clearly state when their owners have a financial stake either in support of (or opposing) a story they cover, why not the Times? And is this the reason why they almost never run a positive piece on the Yanks?

http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/nyt.asp

By the way, they also own the Boston Globe.

Panamaniac42
02-09-06, 03:26 PM
I don't mind the Daily News now that I have officially stopped reading anything Poopica writes.

MiamiKat
02-09-06, 08:17 PM
This post also highlights another issue, the New York Times is a partial owner of the Boston Red Sox and NESN. A small portion, but an owner. That means the most "respected" paper in NYC has a competitive interest when reporting on the Yanks. I can not understand why they don't have do divulge this in every Yankee article. Sources like CNN clearly state when their owners have a financial stake either in support of (or opposing) a story they cover, why not the Times? And is this the reason why they almost never run a positive piece on the Yanks?

http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/nyt.asp

By the way, they also own the Boston Globe.
The New York Times Company owns 17% of the Red Sox. That's not that small a portion of the team.

And they NEVER disclose their ownership unless it's part of the story. They don't disclose it in articles about the Yankees or the Red Sox, and they don't even disclose it in editorials like the one where they supported the Sox over the Yankees in the 2004 ALCS (going to the WS financially benefits the teams that play) or the one where they slammed the new plans for Yankee Stadium (which would financially benefit the Yankees, the rivals of the team of which they own nearly one-fifth.)

Tifoso
02-09-06, 08:19 PM
Yet another reason not to read the Times. :)

KevinBaseball
02-10-06, 10:33 AM
Yet another reason not to read the Times. :)

Honestly, who reads the Times for sports info anyway? Biased of not, they don't even dedicate a full section, It is the paper of record, but not for sports as far as I am concerned.

BRNXBMRS
02-10-06, 10:44 AM
Honestly, who reads the Times for sports info anyway? Biased of not, they don't even dedicate a full section, It is the paper of record, but not for sports as far as I am concerned.

Just what I was coming in here to post. To get sports info, esp about the Yanks thats the last paper I would go to. Reading the Times is like watching ESPN for something pro-Yankee.