PDA

View Full Version : Schilling named NL Player of the Week

bxny
05-29-01, 07:19 PM
Diamondbacks RHP Schilling named NL Player of the Week
May 29, 2001

NEW YORK (TICKER) -- Arizona Diamondbacks righthander Curt Schilling, who on Saturday came within five outs of a perfect game, on Tuesday was named National League Player of the Week.

Schilling retired the first 22 San Diego Padres he faced before Ben Davis' controversial bunt single ended the perfect game. The Diamondbacks won the game, 3-1, and Schilling finished with a three-hitter.

In two starts last week, Schilling went 2-0 with a 1.50 ERA and 17 strikeouts in a league-leading 18 innings. He held opposing batters to a .145 average while giving up nine hits and two walks.

Schilling joins fellow pitcher Randy Johnson and outfielder Reggie Sanders as Diamondbacks who have earned the weekly honors this year.

Also considered for the award were Arizona first baseman Mark Grace, San Diego first baseman Ryan Klesko and outfielders Lance Berkman of Houston, Marquis Grissom of Los Angeles and Preston Wilson of Florida.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news/20010529/playweek.html

===========================================

What a excellent week of pitching by Schilling, he deserved this award.

Chris
05-29-01, 07:20 PM
Great performance but I'm a bit soured by all the crying over that bunt.
It was a close game and the runner got on?

Maybe they shoulda handed him a perfecto?

CarolR
05-29-01, 07:31 PM
So should they have bunted or not???? I can see both sides!!!!

bxny
05-29-01, 07:34 PM
Yeah I agree chriscary, the "bunt" "perfect game" debate has gotten old. Two schools of thought on the subject. Just one of the many things that make baseball such a GREAT game.

Anyways, that's one impressive performance by Schilling, he earned the award.

Chris
05-29-01, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by CarolR
So should they have bunted or not???? I can see both sides!!!!

There are two sides.
Both were trying to win the game, neither was blowing the other out.
They hadn't had a single baserunner all game, they bunted one on.
What's the problem?

Chris
05-29-01, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by bxny
Yeah I agree chriscary, the "bunt" "perfect game" debate has gotten old. Two schools of thought on the subject. Just one of the many things that make baseball such a GREAT game.

Anyways, that's one impressive performance by Schilling, he earned the award.

Absosutely

#1PaFan
05-29-01, 08:10 PM
Congrats Curt. Helluva week.