PDA

View Full Version : BJ Ryan close to a deal with the Indians.....

CaptainThurman
11-23-05, 09:08 AM
According to ESPN Radio this morning, BJ Ryan is close to signing with the Indians. Looks like the Yankees lost out on a major piece of what could have been a great bullpen rebuilding block.

Yankyfan
11-23-05, 09:11 AM
Trade for Mota and sign Gordon and Farnsworth.Well be ok.I promise. :P

RhodeyYankee2638
11-23-05, 09:14 AM
Not true, media is spinning stories, he wants to come here, honest

gdn
11-23-05, 09:40 AM
We didn't lose out if he didn't want to come here to be a setup man. You can't force the guy to do something he doesn't want to do, just because we want him to.

swityak11
11-23-05, 09:45 AM
He didn't want to be a setup man and it's completely understandable to not want a demotion.

Good luck to BJ Ryan and the Indians.

NYDCYankee
11-23-05, 09:58 AM
I will believe it when it happens. Maybe Wickman will want to come our way if this happens?

DaPip1998
11-23-05, 10:07 AM
I will believe it when it happens. Maybe Wickman will want to come our way if this happens?

just say NO to former Yankees (especially XXXXL ones)

Yanknut023
11-23-05, 10:10 AM
just say NO to former Yankees (especially XXXXL ones)

Not only is he XXXXL but he has had arm trouble.

I remember when Wickman used to pitch for the Yankees and they scored 7-8 runs a game for him. They use to call it the Wickman factor.

Sam18
11-23-05, 10:11 AM
Good for BJ if true. He wanted to close and he'll get the chance to now.

gamesix1977
11-23-05, 10:47 AM
Wickman could set up for us at the right price with a weight clause!

CelerinoSanchez
11-23-05, 10:55 AM
If true, this is a smart move by Ryan. He wants to close and the Indians will be good for a long time given their youth. And why sign to pitch in the intense pressure cookers of NYC or Boston when you can play in low-key Cleveland and still have a great opportunity to win?

Mr. Mxylsplk
11-23-05, 11:14 AM
Maybe Wickman will want to come our way if this happens?
Wickman had a great year in Cleveland, but he's injury prone and gives up way too many hits to be a good set up man.

gold23
11-23-05, 11:21 AM
If he signs with Cleveland, I believe it would be a fabulous move for him. Associates himself with a terrific young nucleus, in a town that is very similar to Baltimore in terms of media, etc. Good park, good living situation, and an Indians team that is ready to win now. Wickman, for his great year, was clearly second or third tier.

Dooley Womack
11-23-05, 11:39 AM
I wonder if he even received a call by the Yanks to discuss his "need" to close? A "friend" of Wagner's said he wants no part of NY; Delgado has said he didn't want to play in NY. That didn't stop Omar, as well as it shouldn't have, to improve his club.

Paul O'Neill didn't want to come to NY. We all know how that turned out.

BeantownYankee
11-23-05, 11:44 AM
Wickman had a great year in Cleveland, but he's injury prone and gives up way too many hits to be a good set up man.
I think Wickman will wind up in Boston, they can give him Well's Jersey and not have to alter it.

Kulish29
11-23-05, 11:49 AM
At least he didnt sign with Boston.

ojo
11-23-05, 11:54 AM
the indians probably had the most balanced staff in the AL last year. they're in the dawning of something special over there.

stephsamps
11-23-05, 11:54 AM
We didn't lose out if he didn't want to come here to be a setup man. You can't force the guy to do something he doesn't want to do, just because we want him to.

Exactly. Believe it or not, not everyone wants to play for the Yankees. This is a rather limited free agent crop this year, and lots of teams have needs. I dont think the front office is sleeping, sometimes no matter what we want, it doesn't go our way!

Mr. Mxylsplk
11-23-05, 12:00 PM
I think Wickman will wind up in Boston, they can give him Well's Jersey and not have to alter it.
Works for me. ;)

35Knucklecurve
11-23-05, 12:12 PM
I wonder if he even received a call by the Yanks to discuss his "need" to close? A "friend" of Wagner's said he wants no part of NY; Delgado has said he didn't want to play in NY. That didn't stop Omar, as well as it shouldn't have, to improve his club.

According to this link, Torre didn't make any personal calls to Ryan. That leads me to believe that the Yankees didn't think it was worth the effort. Mazz probably knew better than anybody what BJ's mindset is.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051118&content_id=1270411&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

gold23
11-23-05, 12:13 PM
the indians probably had the most balanced staff in the AL last year. they're in the dawning of something special over there.

Yes, but they needed to improve their pen. All of their relievers had career best or near-best seasons. Fine for young kids, but they had a bunch of vets in there that did so. You would fully expect that not to happen again. So Ryan would be a huge upgrade.

I suspect Shapiro knows this- that his pen pitched much better than it was, and much better than it ever likely will again. They have an arm or two that could develop into power relievers, but the rest should fare worse.

As for their rotation? Lots of talent. Though replacing Millwood's year will be tough. Lee and Sabathia are two excellent young top of the rotation type pitchers, and they have solid depth behind them.

Mystic Merlyn
11-23-05, 12:34 PM

Why would the Sox sign Wickman?

Babe Rules
11-23-05, 12:54 PM
Dammit.

Dooley Womack
11-23-05, 12:55 PM
Why would the Sox sign Wickman?

Because they have just as many problems and question marks, if not more, than the Yanks at relief.

sugmasterflex
11-23-05, 01:14 PM
Good move by Ryan, if true. Even though I would've liked for him to sign w/ the Yanks, he has set himself up in a very good situation in Cleveland.

I think this also means who ever loses out on Wagner (Mets/Phillies) will sign Gordon.

goin for 27
11-23-05, 01:16 PM
Damn.

He would have been a fantastic addition to the Yanks. Cleveland is going to be formidable.

Yanks have to work HARD if they don't resign Gordon.

BronxByTheBay
11-23-05, 01:22 PM

O'Neill didn't have a choice, he was traded. Same with Delgado (unless he has a NTC or a list of No Trade teams that includes the Mets that I"m unaware of). In fact, if memory serves didn't the Mets court Delgado when he was an FA and he turned them down? As far as Wagner goes, if the Post is accurate, the Mets are willing to throw $44 million at Wagner to try and "convince" him to play here.

I'm sorry, Dools, you've been on a warpath over the supposed "inability" of Cash to do anything but you're kinda just throwing stuff at the wall seeing if it sticks. Cash probably can't do much because there isnt' an FA market and we don't have anything to trade.

ZIM 2002
11-23-05, 01:29 PM
If Ryan does sign with Cleveland and Gordon goes to the team that loses out on Wagner, I think the Yankees may be in big trouble - with a bullpen not even as good as last year.

Sam18
11-23-05, 01:43 PM
Because they have just as many problems and question marks, if not more, than the Yanks at relief.

:lol: Dooley's still got it.

macalpine7
11-23-05, 02:55 PM
The Ryan thing never sat well with me, anyway. And with Wagner setting the market for top-flight closers at 3/$30M, I don't think it's worth it.
I hate the Mets more and more every offseason (freakin' Omar :-po'd-: ) First they set the market for starters with Benson, forcing us to overpay for Pavano and Wright and now this.
Screw the Mets

swityak11
11-23-05, 03:01 PM
First they set the market for starters with Benson, forcing us to overpay for Pavano and Wright and now this.
Screw the MetsNo one forces someone to overpay. If the Yankees were uncomfortable with the money being offered, all they had to do was walk away from the deals.

I Love Wang
11-23-05, 04:09 PM
Cashman really botched this one. He should have offered Ryan the closer's job.

JDPNYY
11-23-05, 04:11 PM

Not a bad idea. Mariano has proven he can be excellent in the set up role.

IncredibleByNature
11-23-05, 04:12 PM

And what about Mo?

StaceyRosie
11-23-05, 04:13 PM

Tee hee :D

I Love Wang
11-23-05, 04:13 PM
And what about Mo?

Read the post above yours.

IncredibleByNature
11-23-05, 04:15 PM
Read the post above yours.

Yeah, I know, but I don't see why Mo should be moved from his spot.

I Love Wang
11-23-05, 04:18 PM

You're just making excuses for Cashman's lack of creativity.

StaceyRosie
11-23-05, 04:18 PM

Jo he's kidding :)

JDPNYY
11-23-05, 04:20 PM
You're just making excuses for Cashman's lack of creativity.

I heard on ESPN Radio that Cashman is quite a nice poet.

IncredibleByNature
11-23-05, 04:21 PM

I couldn't tell. *shrugs*

StaceyRosie
11-23-05, 04:21 PM
I couldn't tell. *shrugs*

At least I think he is....:uhh:

NYYBombshell
11-23-05, 04:23 PM
I hope he's kidding.

I Love Wang
11-23-05, 04:23 PM

You win!!! http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/fingers/fing10.gif

Panamaniac42
11-23-05, 04:35 PM
how much do you think he'll get from cleveland? 3 years 9 million at least?

what is cleveland's financial situation, and does anyone know when they are going to have to give Hafner/Peralta/Sizemore/V-Mart their paydays? I know Belliard just got paid...

Dr. Gonzo
11-23-05, 04:35 PM
Hello,

I am the close friend that is quoted in the papers. He loves NY and wants to come here.

elgato
11-23-05, 04:39 PM
The O's just offered him 3 years for $18 million.

-tz
11-23-05, 06:59 PM
The O's just offered him 3 years for $18 million. http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051123&content_id=1271840&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

YankeePride1967
11-23-05, 07:02 PM

It is clearly Brian Cashman's fault that BJ Ryan, a closer, wants to close. A creative GM would have been on a plane with a 38 in hand making the player an offer he can't refuse. Horrible GM . :P

English Yankee
11-23-05, 07:58 PM
Bugger. The 2005 bullpen looks like being better than the 2006 version. Cashman better get busy finding the bullpen versions of Chacon and Small.

-tz
11-23-05, 08:05 PM
Bugger. The 2005 bullpen looks like being better than the 2006 version. Cashman better get busy finding the bullpen versions of Chacon and Small.If our other five starters are healthy, the bullpen versions of Chacon and Small may be ... Chacon and Small.

bakntime
11-23-05, 08:28 PM
the indians probably had the most balanced staff in the AL last year. they're in the dawning of something special over there.Losing Howry, and probably Wickman will thin out their pen. The other thing to remember is that the teams they play half of their games against (the rest of the AL Central), are flat out awful offensive teams. Minnesota, Chicago, Kansas City and Detroit are very weak teams. That helps your pitching staff look a little better than it would be in, say, the offense-heavy AL East.

English Yankee
11-23-05, 08:28 PM
If our other five starters are healthy, the bullpen versions of Chacon and Small may be ... Chacon and Small.

Cashman did so well for us last year with those two. I'm hoping Chacon actually gets a place in the rotation next year. If he doesn't though, I suppose he'll do as a relief pitcher.

Looie #19
11-23-05, 08:30 PM
So do Mazzilli and Guidry get fired because of this?

Mystic Merlyn
11-23-05, 09:25 PM

You're right.

However, they know Wickman isn't the answer to that question.

Dooley Womack
11-23-05, 09:51 PM
So do Mazzilli and Guidry get fired because of this?

So now we are stuck with an inexperienced pitching coach without BJ Ryan, who would have been the only positive at this point in taking such a risk with Guidry. I'm not sure what the Yank's thinking is. Maybe I should seek and ask that source, "familiar with the way the Yanks are thinking" that I keep hearing about.

We should pipe in some circus music to this forum.

DiMaggio5CF
11-23-05, 10:17 PM
Well the options are quickly coming off the board, and the pool is pretty thin now.

The Yankees called me about a half-hour ago, but I'm mulling it over. They've never seen me pitch, but they heard that I'm the best stickball pitcher on my block, and they want me in Pinstripes.

I want them to bump up the number of years from three to eight, but they said they'd only do that if I was 38 or older. They have, however, given me a full no-trade clause.

Dooley Womack
11-23-05, 10:31 PM
Well the options are quickly coming off the board, and the pool is pretty thin now.

The Yankees called me about a half-hour ago, but I'm mulling it over. They've never seen me pitch, but they heard that I'm the best stickball pitcher on my block, and they want me in Pinstripes.

I want them to bump up the number of years from three to eight, but they said they'd only do that if I was 38 or older. They have, however, given me a full no-trade clause.

I think that one of the conditions is that you had to have sucked with another team.

Still, if the choice is you, Sturtze or Proctor, I'd gladly take you.

Snatch Catch
11-25-05, 06:17 PM
I wonder what the Jays think about Ryan signing with the Indians.

Fenrir
11-25-05, 06:24 PM
He signed with the Jays...

Early on, the Yankees talked to Ryan’s representive about the prospect of him being a set-up man for Mariano Rivera and were willing to pay him closer money ($8-9 million per year) to do it. However, Ryan told them he was only interested in closing and the Yankees would never have offered him more than three years.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/breaking_news/story/369021p-313970c.html

Tifoso
11-25-05, 06:26 PM
He signed with the Jays...

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/breaking_news/story/369021p-313970c.html

Dang it :(

terminator
11-25-05, 06:31 PM
Wow .. I was dead wrong on this one. 47 million over 5 years? I would never have thought that JP - considering the "school" he is from - would pay this much for a closer.
Especially since he had a pretty decent set of relievers, no?

If Ryan gets that contract as a reliever, what will Burnett expect?

Gordon, and all the 1/2 decent relievers out there, are happy men.

Wang's Groundballs
11-25-05, 06:49 PM
A.J. Burnett must have creamed himself when he heard this. I'm guessing he gets 5 years and around $70 million at least.

longtimeyankeefan
11-25-05, 08:47 PM
A.J. Burnett must have creamed himself when he heard this. I'm guessing he gets 5 years and around $70 million at least.

If this deal is true, think about Billy Wagner. He was looking at 3 years/$30 million - now he's gotta be thinking 5 years $55 million.

Dooley Womack
11-26-05, 03:24 AM
If this deal is true, think about Billy Wagner. He was looking at 3 years/$30 million - now he's gotta be thinking 5 years $55 million.

It's rumored that it was at 4/$44M with the Mets, but I bet that number just went up.

Dooley Womack
11-26-05, 03:25 AM

Toronto was the team rumored to have offered 5 yrs. Think that they'll give both Ryan and AJ 5? That would be insanity, but you never know.