PDA

View Full Version : Where will Manny play in 2006?

JfromJersey
11-11-05, 01:02 PM
Who will get to watch Manny be Manny next season?

Wang's Groundballs
11-11-05, 01:06 PM
I hope the Red Sox. He's a great hitter, but with his defense he's much closer to an average all-around player than he is an elite one. I really don't want them to get top prospects either...

Sam18
11-11-05, 01:14 PM
I hope the Red Sox. He's a great hitter, but with his defense he's much closer to an average all-around player than he is an elite one. I really don't want them to get top prospects either...

I'd rather see him off the sox. His absense in the lineup makes Ortiz worse.

Wang's Groundballs
11-11-05, 01:28 PM

I don't think "protection" or whatever really makes much of a difference. Maybe Ortiz will get some more walks, but that's the only real difference I see.

Sam18
11-11-05, 01:39 PM
I don't think "protection" or whatever really makes much of a difference. Maybe Ortiz will get some more walks, but that's the only real difference I see.

I'd rather pitch to anyone else on the sox (inluding Manny) than Ortiz in a crucial spot. Our pitchers have a problem getting him out and it would be easier to pitch against the sox without Manny.

parkerstrong
11-11-05, 01:42 PM
I choose the Mets based on wishful thinking. But if the rumor of Cameron and 2 out of the top 3 met prospects is the deal it would be a steal for boston.(in the long run)

Wang's Groundballs
11-11-05, 01:49 PM
I'd rather pitch to anyone else on the sox (inluding Manny) than Ortiz in a crucial spot. Our pitchers have a problem getting him out and it would be easier to pitch against the sox without Manny.

True enough. The biggest advantage (to me) would be the ability to bring in a LH in late innings to pitch to Ortiz and Nixon. At least then you wouldn't have to worry about Manny.

I still don't like the idea of them clearing up money while getting a talented player and some great prospects.

scull567
11-11-05, 01:49 PM

I used to be in the don't trade manny group but I'm beginning to think that they should trade him for the same reason you cite. His UZR for 2005 was -47! Thats horrifically bad. He's a beast offensively but its mostly outweighed by how poor he is defensively. And he's not going to get any better, and his offense may decline some as well. As you say right now he's much closer to an average all round player than he is a superstar.

Sam18
11-11-05, 01:59 PM
True enough. The biggest advantage (to me) would be the ability to bring in a LH in late innings to pitch to Ortiz and Nixon. At least then you wouldn't have to worry about Manny.

I still don't like the idea of them clearing up money while getting a talented player and some great prospects.

In recent years has money been an issue for the redsox when it comes to signing a player that they want? (I really don't know, that's why I'm asking)

Wang's Groundballs
11-11-05, 02:00 PM
I used to be in the don't trade manny group but I'm beginning to think that they should trade him for the same reason you cite. His UZR for 2005 was -47! Thats horrifically bad. He's a beast offensively but its mostly outweighed by how poor he is defensively. And he's not going to get any better, and his offense may decline some as well. As you say right now he's much closer to an average all round player than he is a superstar.

To be fair, his true talent level is almost certainly not that bad. But still, you've got to assume he's at least -25 runs out in the field.

And I have him at +37 runs (.291/.386/.598) after adjusting for park with the bat (not adjusted for position, though), so even with a modest estimate on how bad his defense is, he's worth maybe 1.5 wins over the average player, which is way too low for someone making $17 million a year.

DontHateOnNumber2
11-11-05, 02:01 PM
I think the Red Sox. I don't think the Mets are stupid enough to let go of top prospects to put out a good hitter that doesn't field that well...or run bases well...plus Willie won't have any of that crazy hair nonsense.

Wang's Groundballs
11-11-05, 02:02 PM
In recent years has money been an issue for the redsox when it comes to signing a player that they want? (I really don't know, that's why I'm asking)

Not that I'm aware of, but I do believe they have gone right to their budget, and with players like Renteria signed for way too much money I'm hoping they aren't able to get rid of Manny's contract. Also, if Giles is willing to come to the east coast, you've got to assume the Sox would be contenders for him. I don't think it would be difficult at all for them to replace Manny's overall production at a lower cost.

Evil Empire
11-11-05, 02:14 PM
I'd rather pitch to anyone else on the sox (inluding Manny)

So, you're a pitcher now?

Sam18
11-11-05, 03:00 PM
So, you're a pitcher now?

Yeah dawg!

RhodyYanksFan
11-11-05, 03:06 PM
To the 10 people who voted elsewhere...where will he be?

As for me, I like the idea of Manny being the Sox GM. (http://www.progressiveboink.com/dugout/archive/manny/manny1.htm)

RhodeyYankee2638
11-11-05, 03:17 PM
To the 10 people who voted elsewhere...where will he be?

As for me, I like the idea of Manny being the Sox GM. (http://www.progressiveboink.com/dugout/archive/manny/manny1.htm)

I didn't vote that way, but I've heard rumors of the Angels wanting to send Erban Santana, Erstad and a minor leaguer to the Sox for Manny, to give Vladdy some protection

SoCal Pinstriper
11-11-05, 03:21 PM
Sorry, but I wish bad things on our opposition at this time of year. Thus, my two preferred Manny destinations are:

1.) Doing his best to destroy team chemistry on the Angels as he drives Mike Scioscia to distraction by "being Manny."

2.) Pouting over being unfairly sentenced to yet another year in the Sox outfield (for 19mil).

I voted elsewhere because my entertainment value would be maximised if he was in Anaheim.

SI Baseballman
11-11-05, 08:47 PM
I'm torn. I'd love to see Manny as a Met, but I don't wanna trade the farm for him. Cameron and Trachsel yes, otherwise forget it.

Prickly Pete
11-11-05, 09:09 PM
I'm torn. I'd love to see Manny as a Met, but I don't wanna trade the farm for him. Cameron and Trachsel yes, otherwise forget it.
I can't imagine the Red Sox turning down an offer like that! Cameron AND Trachsel? Both?

Evil Empire
11-11-05, 09:10 PM
Yeah dawg!

I always assume you for a catcher.

NYYBombshell
11-11-05, 10:12 PM
I don't know, but I don't think it'll be Boston.

penguin4
11-11-05, 10:13 PM
The Sox. And then they'll trade him mid-season the way they did Nomah.

Sam18
11-11-05, 10:41 PM
I always assume you for a catcher.

Its Sam18 not Samantha18.

Mystic Merlyn
11-11-05, 10:47 PM
Red Sox.

That is all.

Seriously, I cannot see them trading Manny unless they were getting a package like Cameron, Heilman, Milledge and Petit.

Archer1979
11-12-05, 08:19 AM
Red Sox.

That is all.

Seriously, I cannot see them trading Manny unless they were getting a package like Cameron, Heilman, Milledge and Petit.

I agree.

If the Sox do trade Manny, they will get value. Despite the warning to sit out, there is no way a player making that much money will just forfeit it.

If he does sit out the whole year, he might be doing them a favor, not so much in 2006, but afterward by sitting out and forfeiting his contract.

yanksphan
11-12-05, 10:38 AM
Anaheim gets my vote as well.

SI Baseballman
11-12-05, 05:14 PM
I can't imagine the Red Sox turning down an offer like that! Cameron AND Trachsel? Both?

Well the Sox can throw in Ortiz if the Mets add Matsui to the deal ;)

NewEraYanks2527
11-12-05, 08:57 PM
The problem the Sox have right now is the whole Manny situation, because they are waiting to see who wants him and where he wants to go and how much payroll they will have to eat they are hindered in what they will need to acquire free agent wise because they are a team that still doesnt know if they will be with or withour Ramirez. Because of the fact that they still do not have an offical GM there are too many cooks in the kitchen and the problem with that is nobody knows who is coming or going, the Sox are a mess right now with the whole GM situation and the whole fact that no one really has made a decision on what to do with Manny that may really hurt what improvments the Sox can make via free agency.

On a sidenote I would really love for Manny to go somewhere else so I dont have to hear "Thats just Manny being Manny" bull................ anymore.

noneckwilliams
11-17-05, 05:47 AM
Manny will end up with the Mets. Minaya will be unable to restrain himself. He will stake his career with the Mets on Manny - and lose.

marietta_soxfan
11-17-05, 07:55 AM
Manny will end up with the Mets. Minaya will be unable to restrain himself. He will stake his career with the Mets on Manny - and lose.

Who are they going to trade for him now that Cameron is gone? Milledge and a bag of peanuts? Not likely. Milledge and Beltran maybe. I doubt the Red Sox would just give him away for practically nothing just to make all the Yankee and Mets fans happy.

noneckwilliams
11-17-05, 08:17 AM
Who are they going to trade for him now that Cameron is gone? Milledge and a bag of peanuts? Not likely. Milledge and Beltran maybe. I doubt the Red Sox would just give him away for practically nothing just to make all the Yankee and Mets fans happy.

It wouldn't make me happy - I want the RS stuck with Manny 'til the bitter end.

IMO Manny has made it clear to the RS that he wants out. This is what a lot of RS fans don't understand. He wants to leave and they have to trade him. Minaya's the only GM foolish enuf to want this headcase. Manny's act will wear very thin in NY very quickly. In Boston he always had those incredible production numbers to protect him from the real wrath of the fans. He won't duplicate that production in Shea.

JWHIII
11-17-05, 08:29 AM
It wouldn't make me happy - I want the RS stuck with Manny 'til the bitter end.

IMO Manny has made it clear to the RS that he wants out. This is what a lot of RS fans don't understand. He wants to leave and they have to trade him. Minaya's the only GM foolish enuf to want this headcase. Manny's act will wear very thin in NY very quickly. In Boston he always had those incredible production numbers to protect him from the real wrath of the fans. He won't duplicate that production in Shea.
The Red Sox do not have to do anything. If they don't trade Manny what can he do? He has no leverage in this situation, not showing up to ST would just be foolish on his part. They will try to work out a deal for him, whether its to a place he wants to go remains to be seen. Manny has to realize how good he has it in Boston, when a trade scenario(s) are presented to him for his approval he should realize that no situation is better for him than the current one he's in. I also believe Manny would put up monster numbers in any ballpark.

Sam18
11-17-05, 08:36 AM
I saw Manny on the backpage of the Daily News this morning, what was that about?

marietta_soxfan
11-17-05, 09:08 AM
The Red Sox do not have to do anything. If they don't trade Manny what can he do? He has no leverage in this situation, not showing up to ST would just be foolish on his part. They will try to work out a deal for him, whether its to a place he wants to go remains to be seen. Manny has to realize how good he has it in Boston, when a trade scenario(s) are presented to him for his approval he should realize that no situation is better for him than the current one he's in. I also believe Manny would put up monster numbers in any ballpark.

Exactly. Manny has no clause were he can force to be traded. He can only request. I don't think the RS FO will trade him for crap just to dump him and his contract. With all this big money for players as of late his contract doesn't look as bad. Plus Manny would not be dumb enough to pull a TO. Manny likes most his teammates and I doubt he would screw them over by not showing up.

whalers
11-17-05, 09:13 AM

Ortiz will rarely see any good pitches to hit if there isnt a threat like Manny behind him. Imagine if Manny had been traded at the deadline this year. Any manager would have gladly walked Ortiz to face Varitek or Millar.

Soriambi
11-17-05, 09:17 AM

I agree that I'd rather see him off the Sox. I think that his offensive contributions more than made up for his poor defense. That being said, I really don't know where he'll be, but I'm going to guess that he stays with the Sox. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave, though.

CTSoxFan
11-17-05, 09:24 AM

That might be the one way that Manny winds up in Flushing. Minaya seems to have a "gotta have him" thing going on with Ramirez, much like Steinbrenner had with Randy Johnson, and if that's the case, it's entirely possible that sometime between now and Christmas, the Sox can make the Mets overpay for him.

It will still weaken the team for '06, mind you, but it might reshape the future of the franchise the same way the Bartolo Colon trade did for Cleveland.

scull567
11-17-05, 10:03 AM
Ortiz will rarely see any good pitches to hit if there isnt a threat like Manny behind him. Imagine if Manny had been traded at the deadline this year. Any manager would have gladly walked Ortiz to face Varitek or Millar.

I hope managers agree with you. Ortiz will take his walks and have a sick obp, they'll score even more runs than if they had just pitched to him.

Archer1979
11-17-05, 10:08 AM
That might be the one way that Manny winds up in Flushing. Minaya seems to have a "gotta have him" thing going on with Ramirez, much like Steinbrenner had with Randy Johnson, and if that's the case, it's entirely possible that sometime between now and Christmas, the Sox can make the Mets overpay for him.

It will still weaken the team for '06, mind you, but it might reshape the future of the franchise the same way the Bartolo Colon trade did for Cleveland.

Manny Ramirez trade could = Hershel Walker trade if the Sox Front Office figures out how to play it. This, of course, happens if the Sox Front Office can find someone who wants to be the Sox Front Office.

whalers
11-17-05, 10:55 AM
I hope managers agree with you. Ortiz will take his walks and have a sick obp, they'll score even more runs than if they had just pitched to him.

I dont understand. If Manny is gone and Ortiz is continually walked to face Manny's replacement in the lineup they will score more runs? They way I see it you are losing a 100+ RBI's in Manny, by walking Oritz consistenly you are taking away some of his RBI's which means whoever is batting 4th has to make up for all of Manny's run production and some of Ortiz's. Also by walking Ortiz you put a slow runner on base so it is less likely that he would score from 1st on a single or double.

You are right that he will have a high OBP but whats the ponit of getting on base if there is no one to drive him in consitently like Manny. Please explain how they will score more runs.

Sam18
11-17-05, 11:01 AM
I dont understand. If Manny is gone and Ortiz is continually walked to face Manny's replacement in the lineup they will score more runs? They way I see it you are losing a 100+ RBI's in Manny, by walking Oritz consistenly you are taking away some of his RBI's which means whoever is batting 4th has to make up for all of Manny's run production and some of Ortiz's. Also by walking Ortiz you put a slow runner on base so it is less likely that he would score from 1st on a single or double.

You are right that he will have a high OBP but whats the ponit of getting on base if there is no one to drive him in consitently like Manny. Please explain how they will score more runs.

Manny was never that good to begin with. He will be easily replaced and the sox will score a lot more runs than last year. You'll see.

TinoFan84
11-17-05, 11:03 AM
I was hoping for an "I don't care" choice ... cause I really don't!

scull567
11-17-05, 11:10 AM

No I didnt mean that they would score more runs than the Ortiz/manny duo, what I meant was that if managers decide to always walk Ortiz and face Varitek or someone they will score more runs than if they had just pitched to Ortiz. Ortiz with a .450 obp, even with Varitek hitting behind, is better than Ortiz being pitched to and hitting a few more homeruns.

shroud
11-17-05, 11:32 AM
Mexican League.

whalers
11-17-05, 12:04 PM
No I didnt mean that they would score more runs than the Ortiz/manny duo, what I meant was that if managers decide to always walk Ortiz and face Varitek or someone they will score more runs than if they had just pitched to Ortiz. Ortiz with a .450 obp, even with Varitek hitting behind, is better than Ortiz being pitched to and hitting a few more homeruns.

So in this case Varitek moves to clean up which would mean that he would have to increase his RBI production from 70 to 144 to make up for the loss of Manny as well as make up for any loss in run production by walking Ortiz. Even if I give you 20 more runs scored by Ortiz due to these walks it still doesnt add up.

Walk Ortiz or not a lineup without Manny does not produce as many runs.

mjdlight
11-17-05, 12:28 PM
Best case scenario from the Yankees fan perspective:

1. Manny is nearly traded this off-season, but the deal falls apart at the last minute.

2. Manny reluctantly reports to spring training.

3. Manny plays indifferently for long stretches of time.

4. The Boston press, led by CHB, demonizes both Manny's lackluster effort and the new Sox GM for failing to deal him over the winter.

5. The Sox firesale Manny around the trade deadline for a weaker package than what they could have gotten over the winter. CHB and WEEI provide a cacaphony of criticism and the 2006 season implodes.

6. Yankee fans rejoice everywhere.

My dream scenario only fails to work if somehow the Manny trade becomes Nomar 2004 all over again.

Wait. Maybe this is not the dream scenario :)

scull567
11-17-05, 12:31 PM
So in this case Varitek moves to clean up which would mean that he would have to increase his RBI production from 70 to 144 to make up for the loss of Manny as well as make up for any loss in run production by walking Ortiz. Even if I give you 20 more runs scored by Ortiz due to these walks it still doesnt add up.

Walk Ortiz or not a lineup without Manny does not produce as many runs.

But the point you were making earlier was that managers would start not giving ortiz anything to hit, my point was that this would be beneficial to the red sox as they would score more runs than if they had just decided to pitch to ortiz as if manny was behind him.

Sam18
11-17-05, 12:31 PM
IF Manny's on the sox then he'll play like Manny. He's not gonna half ass it because he didn't get traded.

JWHIII
11-17-05, 12:41 PM
IF Manny's on the sox then he'll play like Manny. He's not gonna half ass it because he didn't get traded.
I agree. He may not hustle on defense and the basepaths, but that is nothing new. It's not like he's going to stop swinging his bat out of spite.

whalers
11-17-05, 01:08 PM
But the point you were making earlier was that managers would start not giving ortiz anything to hit, my point was that this would be beneficial to the red sox as they would score more runs than if they had just decided to pitch to ortiz as if manny was behind him.

Your point still makes zero sense to me.

Tifoso
11-17-05, 01:08 PM
I agree. He may not hustle on defense and the basepaths, but that is nothing new. It's not like he's going to stop swinging his bat out of spite.

He's proven that already. They were talking trade last year, and that didn't effect his #'s much. Still don't like him, though. :)

whalers
11-17-05, 01:11 PM

He already plays half ass. Maybe not in his mind but not running things out, the occasional loss of concentration those are mental errors and to me thats half assed play.

Tifoso
11-17-05, 01:13 PM
He already plays half ass. Maybe not in his mind but not running things out, the occasional loss of concentration those are mental errors and to me thats half assed play.

If they're truly mental errors, than he really can't be blamed.

http://web.ncf.ca/cj871/blog/dim-bulb.png

scull567
11-17-05, 01:14 PM
Your point still makes zero sense to me.

Well, I'm sorry if you can't understand the simple idea that putting a player on base more frequently would increase run scoring. I thought it was a pretty basic concept.

CTSoxFan
11-17-05, 01:32 PM
Well, I'm sorry if you can't understand the simple idea that putting a player on base more frequently would increase run scoring. I thought it was a pretty basic concept.

It's only a basic concept if the guys behind the guy that's getting on base all the time do their jobs. Give Ortiz first base, and he still has to lumber around three more bases for it to matter. To make the example extreme: Walk Ortiz with eight Tony Womacks behind him, and see if the runs are "inevitable." Granted, the new Sox cleanup hitter won't be Womack...but it wouldn't be Manny, either, so the number of runs that Ortiz scores may well decrease despite the higher OBP. It really depends entirely on what happens after Ortiz takes first.

jonnyc39
11-17-05, 01:37 PM
Just imagine the numbers he would put up if he played full assed. 90 HR 288 RBI. Yikes.

NYYBombshell
11-17-05, 01:37 PM
I chose elsewhere. I don't know if he'll go to the Mets, but I don't know if he's staying on the Sox either.

JWHIII
11-17-05, 01:45 PM
Just imagine the numbers he would put up if he played full assed. 90 HR 188 RBI. Yikes.
The Sox would be better off with some other ass-whole.

NYYBombshell
11-17-05, 01:49 PM
Just imagine the numbers he would put up if he played full assed. 90 HR 188 RBI. Yikes.

You really think Manny can hit 90 HRs? The only person who could theoretically do it is suspected of using chemical enhancement to hit the 70-something HRs he hits a season.

Not going to happen.

jonnyc39
11-17-05, 01:56 PM
You really think Manny can hit 90 HRs? The only person who could theoretically do it is suspected of using chemical enhancement to hit the 70-something HRs he hits a season.

Not going to happen.
Yeahhh...I was joking - Manny does not play half assed.

BTW I don't think he could hit 288 RBI either (typed 188 by accident).

I Love Wang
11-17-05, 02:06 PM

Not going to happen.

He was obviously kidding.

grabick_luca
11-17-05, 02:22 PM
He'll most likely end up with the mets since they seems to be clearing their payroll by getting rid of cameron for players like manny and delgado. I see milledge in the deal and benson possibly with a salary dump of matsui.

NYYBombshell
11-17-05, 02:32 PM
Yeahhh...I was joking - Manny does not play half assed.

BTW I don't think he could hit 288 RBI either (typed 188 by accident).

I can't discern sarcasm from just written words. So, I wasn't sure if you were being serious or not.

noneckwilliams
11-17-05, 02:58 PM

What are you talking about? He half-asses it all the time. His on field behaviour is getting weirder and weirder - you're just getting used to it. His HR trots get more outrageous each game and he nonchalants / hot dogs every ball he plays in the field. It's only gonna get worse. They should deal this guy and build for the future (and I say this as a Yankee fan who wants him to stay with the RS). Minaya wants to win so badly now that the RS could probably take him to the cleaners.

Archer1979
11-17-05, 03:07 PM
What are you talking about? He half-asses it all the time. His on field behaviour is getting weirder and weirder - you're just getting used to it. His HR trots get more outrageous each game and he nonchalants / hot dogs every ball he plays in the field. It's only gonna get worse. They should deal this guy and build for the future (and I say this as a Yankee fan who wants him to stay with the RS). Minaya wants to win so badly now that the RS could probably take him to the cleaners.

I think the argument is that even half-assing it, he still puts some numbers on the board.

Happy Manny/Mad Manny... they both perform and act the same.

And yes, I agree, the Sox could take the Mets to the cleaners but only if they know what to ask for.

Prickly Pete
11-17-05, 03:15 PM
I don't know if he'll go to the Mets, but I don't know if he's staying on the Sox either.
Great point.

NYYBombshell
11-17-05, 03:17 PM
Great point.

Is that supposed to be some kind of dig?

Sam18
11-17-05, 03:36 PM
Is that supposed to be some kind of dig?

He's just having some fun Bomby. Don't take it so seriously. Not everyone's out to get you :).

Sam18
11-17-05, 03:38 PM

Manny's the type of player that nothing can affect him mentally. He just shows up and hits.

NYYBombshell
11-17-05, 03:39 PM
He's just having some fun Bomby. Don't take it so seriously. Not everyone's out to get you :).

Like I said, I don't know when people are being serious and when they're not.

Tifoso
11-17-05, 03:45 PM
Manny's the type of player that nothing can affect him mentally. He just shows up and hits.

For him to be affected mentally would presume he has something to affect.

Just sayin...

NYYBombshell
11-17-05, 03:48 PM
For him to be affected mentally would presume he has something to affect.

Just sayin...

OH SNAP!

Sam18
11-17-05, 03:48 PM
Like I said, I don't know when people are being serious and when they're not.

Its not that hard you know. When some one says something really really offensive then you know they are joking.

Sam18
11-17-05, 03:49 PM
OH SNAP!

As Manny's representative I'm offended by your comments!

NYYBombshell
11-17-05, 03:50 PM
Its not that hard you know. When some one says something really really offensive then you know they are joking.

Yeah, well I'm stupid and need to be told first.

Sam18
11-17-05, 03:59 PM

You're not stupid. And second telling you first ruins the joke.

I Love Wang
11-17-05, 09:38 PM

Good rule of thumb. If you're about to deliver a grumpy and/or pissy response, just assume the person was kidding, and let it slide.

jonnyc39
11-17-05, 09:42 PM
I can't discern sarcasm from just written words. So, I wasn't sure if you were being serious or not.
I don't know whether to let it slide, or be offended that you actually think that I assume Manny could DOUBLE his 2005 production if he tried harder. Hmph.

Evil Empire
11-17-05, 09:47 PM
Good rule of thumb. If you're about to deliver a grumpy and/or pissy response, just assume the person was kidding, and let it slide.

This always happens. Things never change.

Evil Empire
11-17-05, 09:53 PM
Yeah, I'm a horrible person.

I didn't say that.

DaSwing
11-18-05, 12:59 AM

Runs is a result of the entire lineup, not just Manny and Ortiz. Despite the monster years of Manny and Ortiz, the 2005 Sox actually scored fewer runs than 2004 and 2003.

While the Sox may lose Manny, I would not expect them to replace him with say.... ME. You'd likely see the Sox acquire a fine hitter to take his spot in the lineup -- not Varitek or Nixon.

Also - notwithstanding a Manny trade - I think there are decent chances to see better offensive numbers out of the Sox infield this year, maybe even RF too.

noneckwilliams
11-29-05, 08:35 AM
Manny's Ritz Carlton penthouse apartment is on the market. There's an open house today if anyone is interested and has $7 or $8 mil (condo fee is $4000.00/month) to spend on housing.