PDA

View Full Version : So Much For MLB's "Disparity"

nyyfanatic85
10-27-05, 11:40 AM
Well let's see, we've had the Yanks, D-Backs, Angels, Marlins, Red Sox and now White Sox as champions the past 5 years. Three of those teams (LAA, CHW, and BOS) won either their first championship or ended an 80+ year drought. Meanwhile in the NFL...

Sam18
10-27-05, 11:46 AM
I don't like the fact that weak teams can sneak into the playoffs and get hot all the time in the MLB. I really think they should do something about the wild card.

JWHIII
10-27-05, 11:49 AM
I don't like the fact that weak teams can sneak into the playoffs and get hot all the time in the MLB. I really think they should do something about the wild card.
Wild Card winners are always pretty strong teams. If they wanted to do something about stopping weak teams from sneaking into the playoffs, they would eliminate the NL West. :D

DaPip1998
10-27-05, 11:52 AM
Well let's see, we've had the Yanks, D-Backs, Angels, Marlins, Red Sox and now White Sox as champions the past 5 years. Three of those teams (LAA, CHW, and BOS) won either their first championship or ended an 80+ year drought. Meanwhile in the NFL...

SHHHHH! Don't let Lupica or Russo hear you. Don't you know the Yankees are STILL evil?!

DontHateOnNumber2
10-27-05, 12:43 PM
Wild Card winners are always pretty strong teams. If they wanted to do something about stopping weak teams from sneaking into the playoffs, they would eliminate the NL West. :D
:lol: I think if the Cubs win a championship within the next 10 years all that "disparity" talk will stop. For years all I heard about were the Red Sox and Cubs with these long droughts without a championship, even before I knew the White Sox hadn't won it since 1917. It's all about the high-profile teams, they get the headlines and it seems like right now there's only one team left in the disparity column and it's the Cubs.

Mezmerize
10-27-05, 12:52 PM
Who can honestly say that since the Wild Card inception that a team that won said Wild Card was a weak team? This premise is flawed on its face.

just-blaze
10-27-05, 03:31 PM
Who can honestly say that since the Wild Card inception that a team that won said Wild Card was a weak team? This premise is flawed on its face.

I dont think any of the wild card teams were weak by a long shot, but I do think that the first round should be best of seven.

whalers
10-27-05, 03:42 PM

The only thing I would change is the format of the DS. I would suggest that the WC team only gets one home game.

YClipper5
10-27-05, 03:50 PM
The only thing I would change is the format of the DS. I would suggest that the WC team only gets one home game.
Couldn't agree more. Although, only if the WC is playing the team with the league's best record.

If you have the best record over 162 games, it should net you more than simply 1 extra home game.

Mattpat11
10-27-05, 03:50 PM
If parity leads to crapfest World Series like we just witnessed, I'm all for disparity

Big_E
10-27-05, 04:09 PM

Why? Often times the WC winner has a better record than a division winner.

2005: Boston had same record as Angels.
2004: Boston had 2nd best AL record
2003: Boston had better record than Minnesota
2001: Oakland had 2nd best AL record
2000: Seattle had better record than Yankees
1998: Boston had 2nd best AL record
1997: Yankees had 2nd best AL record
1995: Yankees had same record as Seattle

So in 11 seasons of the Wild Card, the AL WC team has had a better record than one division winner twice, had the same record as a division winner twice, and was the 2nd best team in the league four times. That's 8 times in 11 years. So why should they be punished???

yankeebot
10-27-05, 04:10 PM
Parity is overrated.

Stupid Flanders
10-27-05, 04:19 PM
I dont think any of the wild card teams were weak by a long shot, but I do think that the first round should be best of seven.Of course it should, and it would be easy.

Start the season one day earlier. End it one day later. Throw in a doubleheader.

Stick Michael
10-28-05, 01:15 PM

Since each league has been divided into three divisions, there's a better chance of a weak division winner making the playoffs than a weak wild card team. San Diego, for example, won this year's NL West with a record barely above .500, while the wild card winner in the AL (Boston) was a 95 win team.

James

ChewieTobbacca
10-28-05, 02:53 PM
The WS was considered boring largely because of the crap play of Houston

Either way, in the end, I have to laugh at all the sportswriter talk on how the NFL still has more parity and steroid free..

Jace
10-28-05, 05:18 PM
How can you not like the word disparity

SubwayFanatic
10-28-05, 08:37 PM
Either way, in the end, I have to laugh at all the sportswriter talk on how the NFL still has more parity and steroid free..

The way the media kisses football's ass is embarassing. The Patriots have won three out the four last Super Bowls, yet the press will still tell us that "every team has a chance to win." Yeah, okay. Several players have gotten busted for steroids over the last year or so in the NFL, Romanowski can admit that he used them, but most of the press will just bury their heads in the sand and act like it's no big deal.

I am not saying baseball is flawless, but it gets way more scrutinized than football does.

surge511
10-28-05, 09:23 PM
Yeah, if people try to use the dissparity case in MLB, they are either fishing for excuses to hate baseball, or they just don't know what they are talking about.

5OClockLighting
10-28-05, 11:04 PM
The NBA is the worst, San Antonio, LA, Det, Houston, and Chicago, are the only teams to win the last 17 or so years.