PDA

View Full Version : Most fans think umpires do a good job (poll results) (merged)

Yomiuri
10-20-05, 03:08 PM
This will shock most everyone here:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/sports/AP-Baseball-AP-AOL-Poll.html

JDPNYY
10-20-05, 03:23 PM
Most fans aren't very bright.

yankees2nyy
10-20-05, 03:28 PM
The voters must be blind.

mentalgidget
10-20-05, 03:28 PM
3 reasons for this IMO...
1.) most fans don't root for good teams so umpire decisions don't weigh as heavily on the outcome of a game, or a season.
2.) Most "fans" (people who consider themsleves to be fans but cann't name 5 plyers for their team) don't pay close enough attention.
3.) Umpire mess-ups, as crucial as they are, represnt a small percentage of overall calls made so, to casual fans, an umpire getting 98% of the calls right is a "great" percentage

Mr. Mxylsplk
10-20-05, 05:12 PM
Compared to other sports, I think baseball umps are actually quite good.

Nome
10-20-05, 05:30 PM
I have two problems with baseball umps;

1. Their insistance on calling their own unique and sometimes variable strike zone. All umpires should be FORCED to call the rule book strike zone. If we don't like that Zone, than change it but make all umps consistant.

2. The rabbit ears that today's umps seem to have. They never walk away from an argument. Instead they prolong it jabbering back at the complainannts and frequently cursing at them. The umpires are worse than the players/coaches/managers.

Other than that I have few real other complaints. For the most part they, get the calls right anfd know the rules.

Andy

Sam18
10-20-05, 05:36 PM
3 reasons for this IMO...
1.) most fans don't root for good teams so umpire decisions don't weigh as heavily on the outcome of a game, or a season.
2.) Most "fans" (people who consider themsleves to be fans but cann't name 5 plyers for their team) don't pay close enough attention.
3.) Umpire mess-ups, as crucial as they are, represnt a small percentage of overall calls made so, to casual fans, an umpire getting 98% of the calls right is a "great" percentage

Perfectly said. I especially agree with point #2.

StaceyRosie
10-20-05, 05:41 PM
Most fans are morons....

I Love Wang
10-20-05, 06:28 PM
Yesterday Yadier Molina was not tagged by Adam Everett at second base, but was called out by the umpire. I would not complain about this call. And do you know why? Because I didn't know it was wrong until I saw the slow-motion replay from a different angle. That ump made what he thought was the right call. However, a lot of umpiring is absolutely incompetent. (Read: Doug Eddings, and his "mechanic.") Also, too many umpires need to realize that THEY DON'T MATTER. I'm talking to you, Joe West/Fieldel Culbreth/Angel Hernandez. The games are about the players, you're just an interpreter.

PaulieIsAwesome
10-20-05, 08:19 PM
Most fans are morons....

I was going to write the exact same line.