PDA

View Full Version : Tampa FO Overhaul

JWHIII
10-06-05, 11:00 AM
http://rays.tbo.com/rays/MGBZCDKGGEE.html

It's about time. Tampa has some pieces in place, perhaps with competence in the front office they can become contenders.

hardrain
10-06-05, 11:04 AM
Good riddance to Lamar. He was impossible to deal with.

JDPNYY
10-06-05, 11:12 AM
Damn. I was hoping this was a Yankee Thread.

sox jedi 14
10-06-05, 12:46 PM
Damn. I was hoping this was a Yankee Thread.

You wish ;)

Lamar is useless, which shows how amazin' the Mets are for managing to get fleeced for Kazmir by him.

yanksphan
10-06-05, 02:41 PM
Sweet. Now that Lamar is gone, perhaps we can snag one of there extra OF.

I hear Delmon Young hates it there...:bad:

SoCal Pinstriper
10-06-05, 03:01 PM
TB played well in the second half. With Naimoli gone, one would have to expect them to choose a core of position players from the talented group that they have, and leverage the remainder to get some pitching.

Always tough to compete in the AL East, but I expect them to show improvement.

Sixty one
10-06-05, 06:27 PM
I'd love to see the Yanks get Rocco Baldelli from Tampa. Maybe the new owners would be willing to part with him. ;) ;)

YankeePride1967
10-06-05, 06:51 PM
Very well needed, they need some kind of a plan from a group that has a clue.

Rich
10-06-05, 07:17 PM
The Yankees should see what it would take to pry Crawford from them. I would give them almost anything reasonable but Hughes.

JavyVazquezIsSick
10-06-05, 07:49 PM
If the Yankees get Gathright or Crawford I would be very happy...

reelbiggecko
10-06-05, 07:55 PM
Ahh Chuck LaMar...the only GM in sports that cares more about screwing with other teams than with his own team's success.

Johnny O
10-06-05, 08:36 PM
If the Yankees get Gathright or Crawford I would be very happy...

We don't want Gathright and any of Crawford, Young, Baldelli is extremely wishful thinking. If the new management has half a brain amongst them they won't deal off players they control.

Rich
10-06-05, 08:47 PM
We don't want Gathright and any of Crawford, Young, Baldelli is extremely wishful thinking. If the new management has half a brain amongst them they won't deal off players they control.

Why don't we want a 24 year old who is still improving with these stats:

<table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"> <tbody><tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td>.301</td><td>.331</td><td>.469</td></tr></tbody></table>
There is no doubt in my mind that his OBP would go up here as he would be exposed to veterans who take pitches.

Shaun4013
10-06-05, 08:52 PM

I would gladly trade whatever it took to get Crawford. Crawford is great now, and is only going to get better.

Murcer'swerebest
10-06-05, 11:22 PM
If I were running the Devil Rays, the first thing I would do would be to try and get enough teams together to get rid of the unbalanced schedule. Once the team becomes a bit better, the quality of the team will draw fans and you don't need more games against new york and Boston. What you need are more games against KC and Seattle that you can win more easily.

It's a stupid way to schedule games when you have a wildcard playoff berth that will be competed for by teams who played dramatically different schedules.

utopiapkwy
10-07-05, 07:46 AM
I'd love to see the Yanks get Rocco Baldelli from Tampa. Maybe the new owners would be willing to part with him. ;) ;)

Rocco is always hurt though, right? I dont remember all the pieces of the original deal, but it was tampa that jammed up the manny to the mets deal. Any chance the three of them can make it happen after the season in a similar agreement. Tampa was getting alot of good young guys in it.

JavyVazquezIsSick
10-07-05, 12:30 PM

Both Gathright and Crawford are 24, both can play excellent defense, both can steal 50+ bases a season, and both are good hitters. Crawford has more power of the two and also signed to a long-term deal (which may I say was a steal at that price). They have an excess of outfielders, we need outfielders. We have an excess of starting pitching, they need starting pitching. And as always an excess of money. Its the perfect match...

lem
10-07-05, 12:33 PM
The Yankees should see what it would take to pry Crawford from them. I would give them almost anything reasonable but Hughes.

It's a shame the only thing they need is elite pitching prospects.

yanksphan
01-01-06, 10:46 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/01/01/road_to_future_marked_by_dollar_signs/?page=2

No one with the Red Sox is saying this, but the Devil Rays, according to multiple baseball executives, are no easier to deal with in trade talks than they were under former GM Chuck LaMar. LaMar developed a reputation for over-asking in potential deals, and while the team has a new general partner, president, two new executives atop the baseball operations department, and a new manager, the asking prices still seem high.

Two likely reasons:

1. Andrew Friedman, the 28-year-old executive vice president of baseball operations, would like to mark the beginning of his tenure with a slam-dunk deal.

2. The Devil Rays are dealing from a position of strength. They have to offer what is in limited supply -- a very good all-around shortstop (Julio Lugo), a top-shelf closer (Danys Baez), a productive and versatile player in Aubrey Huff, and a young center fielder who is among the quickest players in the game (Joey Gathright) -- but don't necessarily have to move those players. That means they can sit around and wait for the Sox and other clubs to meet their prices.

BrianNYYanks
01-01-06, 11:56 AM

I doubt he's going anywhere.

Here's a little info on his contract, just as info not because I think it is the reason he is not going anywhere. I just don't think he's going anywhere.

Rocco Baldelli of
3 years/$9M (2006-08), plus club options (2009-11)

agreed to extension 11/05 (avoided arbitration)
06:$2M, 07:$0.75M, 08:$2.25M, 09:$6M club option ($4M buyout), 10:$8M club option, 11:$9M club option ($2M buyout - 2010 & 2011 options must be exercised together)
$4M escalator if Baldelli has 600 Plate Appearances in 2006
$1.75M in 2007, increasing 07 salary to $2.5M
$2.25M in 2008, increasing 08 salary to $4M
performance bonuses for 2007 & 2008 if Baldelli fails to reach 600 PAs in 2006

may earn as much as $32M from 2006 to 2011

1 year/$0.369M (2005)

1 year/$0.32M (2004), renewed 3/04
Devil Rays took $20,000 incentive off the table when Baldelli balked at having his contract renewed
1 year/$0.3 M (2003)
drafted 2000 (1-6)
$2.25M signing bonus (paid over 5 years for 2-sport athlete)
1 year/$0.3M (2003)
agent: negotiated extension himself (hired IMG's Casey Close to review contract language) (formerly represented by Scott Boras)
ML service: 2.000

YankeePride1967
01-01-06, 12:01 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/01/01/road_to_future_marked_by_dollar_signs/?page=2

In this case, I can't blame them. Boston is not sitting in a negotiating position of strength. They don't have the option now in the trade negotiations of re-signing Damon as they did two weeks ago. If Boston wants a player of substance, they, just like any other team, will have to pay for it.

MiamiKat
01-01-06, 01:29 PM
In this case, I can't blame them. Boston is not sitting in a negotiating position of strength. They don't have the option now in the trade negotiations of re-signing Damon as they did two weeks ago. If Boston wants a player of substance, they, just like any other team, will have to pay for it.
Exactly. Just because Boston has fleeced other teams in trades in the recent past (Schilling for a bag of balls and a case of Ben-Gay, for example) doesn't mean they are entitled to continue doing so.

Until I see reports -- not just conjecture -- indicating otherwise, I'll assume that Tampa Bay appears to be "no easier to deal with" simply because they have the players that other teams want and are correctly holding out for the best possible deal.

yankeegeek
01-01-06, 09:13 PM
I guess this is Boston's first time getting bent over the barrel. They got Schilling for nothing great and the same for Beckett. When the Yankkes asked about Juan Pierre they were told Cano and Wang! Get real. Get used to it Boston.

Yankees1962
01-01-06, 10:17 PM
The same thing with Seattle. They don't have to trade their starting CF who's not even arbitration eligible for some Sox reject pitcher. They can keep him and go with the starting pitchers they have. Boston is in a poor position in these trade negotiations. They need to make a decision on whether they're going to suck it up and get players to fill holes in their lineup without damaging their plans beyond 2006 or they'll have to pay through the nose and make these trades which might hurt them in the long run because they'll have to trade some young prospects. If I was them, I'll choose the former option.

Quangormo
01-01-06, 11:13 PM
Does anyone find it ironic that the Yankees' principal owner and managing partner is from Tampa and the Devil Rays' managing partner is from New York?

The FUTURE
01-08-06, 05:39 PM
If I was the new FO for TB here's some moves I would make:

Sign RHP Shinji Mori and INF Ramon Martinez

Trade SS Julio Lugo and CF Joey Gathright to BOS for 3B Andy Marte, C Kelly Shoppach and LHP Abe Alvarez

Trade OF/1B Aubrey Huff and RHP Jeff Niemann to LAA for RHP Ervin Santana and 1B Kendry Morales

Trade RHP Jesus Colume and RHP Seth McClung to OAK for RHP Kirk Saarloos

^All Fair Trades^

Let Upton and Young start the season on the ML team.

C-Toby Hall R/R(Trading Block)---Kelly Shoppach R/R
1B-Jorge Cantu R/R---Ramon Martinez R/R
2B-Nick Green R/R---Ramon Martinez R/R
SS-B.J Upton R/R---Ramon Martinez R/R
3B-Andy Marte R/R---Sean Burroughs L/R
LF-Carl Crawford L/L---Damon Hollins R/L
CF-Rocco Baldelli R/R---Damon Hollins R/L
RF-Delmon Young R/R---Jonny Gomes
DH-Jonny Gomes R/R---Delmon Young R/R

1.Scott Kazmir L
2.Ervin Santana R
3.Kirk Saarloos R(Trading Block)
4.Casey Fossum L(Trading Block)
5.Doug Waetcher R

CL-Danys Baez R(Trading Block)
SU-Shinji Mori R (Trading Block)
SU-Lance Carter R(Trading Block)
MR-Chad Orvella R
MR-Travis Harper R(Trading Block)
MR-Jon Switzer L
LR-Abe Alvarez L

Call-ups:
1B Kendry Morales S/R
OF Elijah Dukes S/R
RHP Jason Hammel
LHP James Houser
INF/OF Wes Bankston R/R
2B Elliot Johnson S/R
RHP Wade Townsend

FUTURE:
SS-Upton R
LF-Crawford L
RF-Young R
DH-Gomes R
3B-Marte R
CF-Baldelli R
1B-Morales S
2B-Cantu R
C-Shoppach R
Bench:
OF Elijah Dukes S/R
2B/SS Elliot Johnson S/R
INF/OF Wes Bankston R/R
3B/2B Nick Green R/R
C Shawn Riggans R/R

Starters:
Kazmir L
Santana R
Waetcher R
???
???

Bullpen:
RHP's Townsend,Orvella,Hammel
LHP's Alvarez,Houser

***Use guys on Trading Block to accquire a couple starters and bullpen arms***
***Use draft picks on potential starters/closers***

Yeahhhhhhh...I was boredd...anyways thats all the D-ray would have to do to get better:P