PDA

View Full Version : Jim Tracy gone with the Dodgers

ryanm1058123
10-03-05, 09:40 PM
http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051003&content_id=1236931&vkey=news_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la

Apparently he wasn't fired, but it was mutual. I highly doubt that.

A good manager out of a job too.

Sam18
10-03-05, 09:42 PM
George: "Must...resist...temptation to fire Joe"

True Yankee-ette13
10-03-05, 09:43 PM
Man, everybody's getting the axe today. Too bad players can't be fired for being incompetent.

Clive
10-03-05, 09:48 PM
So, who got sacked so far this year?

- Tony Pena
- Lou Piniella
- Dave Miley
- Lloyd McClendon
- Lee Mazilli
- Jack McKeon
- Alan Trammell
- Jim Tracy

Did I forget anybody?

YankeeFan1
10-03-05, 10:15 PM
I'm not surprised. Someone has to take the blame and the manage is usually the first to go. After all, they can't fire the players and GM is usually the last to go.

BTW, I'm sure that Sweet Lou sacked the D'Rays, not the other way around.

Rich
10-03-05, 10:23 PM
Torre would look good in a Dodgers uni. (half kidding)

Yankees Empire
10-03-05, 11:10 PM
Riiiiiight. A poorly constructed team to begin with gets hammered by the injury bug and it's the manager's fault.

Find me another manager who could have faired better under the circumstances which confronted the 2005 Dodgers.

Jim Tracy unloaded the bank for J.D. Drew- the guy who rips up his knee whenever he does something as strenuous as the Sunday crossword puzzle. Jim Tracy dealt Guillermo Mota, a truly great set-up guy, thereby demanding more innings from Gange, perhaps contributing to him hurting himself and being gone for most of 2005.

Whatever. It's not as if I like the Dodgers (they're near the top of my "most hated" list). I just think they fired the wrong guy. Jim Tacy will get another managerial gig and when he does, I bet he's a winner.

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
10-04-05, 12:02 AM
That's Milton Bradley's pops we're talking about. I guess this means HE's probably almost definitely gone as well.

Tracy was alright. Actually, he was pretty good, but had a knack for leaving pitchers in too long and for sticking superrigidly to statistical theory when it came to pitcher/batter matchups despite what should have been quite a few real world exceptions.

I'm sure he's probably lost the team a few games due to the above, but the personnel issues were not his fault. He did well with what he was given.

SoCal Pinstriper
10-04-05, 12:16 AM
I heard a long interview with Tracy on the radio today. He said that he didn't want to manage without an extension next year. Said that lame duck managers get no respect.

DePodesta destroyed the Dodgers. Injuries were the nail in the coffin (>1200 DL games lost).

I wish Tracy well. I think that he always got more out of his teams than the talent that they had would have led anyone to believe was possible.

whiffleball
10-04-05, 09:00 AM
What I find interesting is that the Cubs and Dodgers may swap managers.

There was a lot of talk about Dusty going to the Dodgers and Tracy was a manager in the Cubs minors for 5 years.

But I don't think Dusty will put up with DePodesta's crap. He would have to go first.

We'll see.

DontHateOnNumber2
10-04-05, 09:24 AM
Jim Tracy will get another managerial gig and when he does, I bet he's a winner.

He would've been a winner this season if they would've fielded a consistent team. Not to mention they lost their guy Beltre who bolted after a career year, only to end up in the AL barely being seen on headlines. Not to mention injuries, us Yankee fans can sympathize with that I guess.

YankeeFan1
10-04-05, 11:23 AM
Wasn't J.D. Drew someone people wanted the Yankees to sign? I didn't realize that he hadn't played since June. What happened to him? He is always injured, isn't he?

Mezmerize
10-04-05, 11:55 AM
Sigh, Jim Tracy, join the Allan Trammel fan club. Absurd move and one that hopefully bites the Dodgers in the ass. Incompetence at high levels of management should not trickle down.... oh well.

jimmyclark
10-04-05, 12:49 PM
Tracy is a decent manager who should get another job. But I have always failed to see why people rip the 2004 trade with Florida so much. It is not like Loduca or Mota (hit Piazza with pitch in spring training, run away like scared gutless rabbit) led the Dodgers to any post season success (or Florida for that matter). People have forgotten that Brad Penny won 2 games in the 2003 world series. Perhaps the Dodgers should have realized the Marlins tend to burn up pitchers and discard them before they get injured (hello, Carl Pavano and Ryan Dempster).

penfold
10-04-05, 03:31 PM
Paul DePodesta is the one who should have gotten canned.

Honestly, I think Tracy did okay with what he had.

DePodesta is the one who traded away the solid talent & essentially forced Tracy to end up with 4 or 5 rookies in the starting line-up by the end of the year.

I've heard from quite a few season ticket holders that they are furious with the new owner for flushing a competitive team down the toilet.

My opinion is if you make your bed, you gotta lie in it.

I wonder if Piniella would manage the Dodgers if the Yankees don't offer him the gig.

SoCal Pinstriper
10-04-05, 03:50 PM
I wonder if Piniella would manage the Dodgers if the Yankees don't offer him the gig.Won't happen for two reasons.
1.) Pinella wouldn't want to deal with DePodesta.

2.) There is no way that the Dodgers are going to spend enough on a manager to lure Pinella (or Baker for that matter).

Currently, I'm hearing Macha or Howe.

SoCal Pinstriper
10-05-05, 04:45 PM
Tracy is apparently the leading candidate at Pittsburgh.

Tracy and Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield have ties dating to their days together in the Montreal Expos' organization, when Tracy managed at Double-A Harrisburg his 1993 team had a 94-44 record and Triple-A Ottawa, and Littlefield was a scouting supervisor and the director of player development.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20051005/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbn_pirates_manager_1

I'd like to see him end up where he has a better chace to win, but he's from the Ohio (I think), and this would get him closer to home.

Yanks21
10-05-05, 05:52 PM
I read in one of the LA papers this morning that the Dodgers will likely make a run at Mike Scioscia. Granted, Scioscia has a long history with the Dodgers, but I'd rather work for Arte Moreno...

penfold
10-05-05, 06:09 PM
I read in one of the LA papers this morning that the Dodgers will likely make a run at Mike Scioscia. Granted, Scioscia has a long history with the Dodgers, but I'd rather work for Arte Moreno...

IMHO, right now, Moreno is one of the best owners in the game.

EDIT: The only thing he did that kinda left me cold was the whole "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" nonsense. But other than that, he's done very well.

SoCal Pinstriper
10-05-05, 06:19 PM
IMHO, right now, Moreno is one of the best owners in the game.

EDIT: The only thing he did that kinda left me cold was the whole "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" nonsense. But other than that, he's done very well.Agreed about Moreno.

Scoscia is signed through 2007. How, without tampering, could the Dodgers "make a run at him?"

Mike Scoscia Manager
2 years/about $6M (2006-07), plus 2008 club option

signed extension through 2007 7/03
3 years/about $4M (2003-05), plus 2006 club option
signed extension 8/01
originally signed 2 year contract (2000-01), plus 2002 club option
agent: none

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005_01_14_mlbcontracts_archive.html

And why would he give the Dodgers the time of day after the way they treated him?

SoCal Pinstriper
10-06-05, 05:24 AM
Two internal candidates will be interviewed for the Dodger job.

Terry Collins, the director of player development, and Jerry Royster, the manager at triple-A Las Vegas, are among those expected to be interviewed next week by General Manager Paul DePodesta.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers5oct05,1,5641056.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

SoCal Pinstriper
10-06-05, 03:45 PM
Dodgers announce 4 of 5 managerial candidates.

Four of the five managerial candidates to be interviewed by the Dodgers next week will be Terry Collins, Jerry Royster, Alan Trammell and Torey Lovullo, General Manager Paul DePodesta said Wednesday.

DePodesta would not divulge the fifth candidate because he has been unable to reach him. The person is employed by another team not in the playoffs.

Collins and Royster work in the Dodger farm system, Trammell was fired last week as manager of the Detroit Tigers and Lovullo was manager of the Cleveland Indians' double-A affiliate in Akron.

DePodesta said he has a secondary list of candidates and that additional interviews might be conducted before a decision is reached. The Dodgers would like to hire a manager before organizational meetings are held during the World Series.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers6oct06,1,6099810.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

Macha, apparently, wasn't cheap enough.

JWHIII
10-06-05, 03:46 PM
Wasn't Glenn Hoffman one of the coaches out there. IIRC, he recieved serious consideration for the Red Sox job, I'm surprised not to see his name on that list.

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
10-07-05, 01:00 AM
This was actually my first thought on what I wish would, but know cannot, happen.

Dooley Womack
10-07-05, 03:16 AM
I hope DePo has to scrape the bottom of a sewer to find a manager.

His handling of the original RJ 3 way trade was despicable, a million and one subsequent lies came out of his mouth, and I can't think of anyone as worthy of a bad run as he.

Yanks21
10-08-05, 01:20 PM
Agreed about Moreno.

Scoscia is signed through 2007. How, without tampering, could the Dodgers "make a run at him?"

Seems moot at this point, but Moreno can allow the Dodgers to interview Scoscia...

Being in such a rush to hire a manager is stupid. The Dodgers should wait until the Angels are done. However, not necessarily for Mike Scoscia. They have the best coaching staff in baseball. Alfredo Griffin, Bud Black, Mickey Hatcher, Ron Roenicke, and Joe Maddon are all considered top managerial prospects...

SuperMario66
10-08-05, 04:01 PM
Being in such a rush to hire a manager is stupid. The Dodgers should wait until the Angels are done. However, not necessarily for Mike Scoscia. They have the best coaching staff in baseball. Alfredo Griffin, Bud Black, Mickey Hatcher, Ron Roenicke, and Joe Maddon are all considered top managerial prospects...

I competely agree. No reason to hurry things.

SoCal Pinstriper
10-11-05, 07:14 AM
Following up on post #22:

Ron Wotus, the San Francisco Giant bench coach, was announced Monday as the fifth candidate, joining Dodger minor league staffers Terry Collins and Jerry Royster, recently fired Detroit Tiger manager Alan Trammell and Cleveland Indian minor league manager Torey Lovullo.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers11oct11,1,5639863.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

Interviews to begin this week.

General Manager Paul DePodesta will spearhead the interviews, meeting with Royster today, Trammell on Wednesday, Wotus on Thursday, Collins on Friday and Lovullo on Saturday.

"The new manager is my decision," DePodesta said last week before leaving for Italy to attend his sister's wedding. He returns to work today.

"I'll consult with Frank," he said. "Ultimately, it will be my call."

Edit: Interesting that he has had plans to be out of the country this week. I'm sure he knew long ago that the Dodgers wouldn't be playing baseball.

The only part of the Angels success that I enjoy is that it puts more pressure on the Dodgers FO. The loyal Dodger fan base (3million every year like clockwork) just deserves better.

SoCal Pinstriper
10-18-05, 11:50 PM
Looks like the Yankees aren't the only team with a philosophical split in the FO. It appears that Tommy Lasorda's campaign to get some old school Dodgers into the interview mix has yielded results.

Atlanta Braves hitting coach Terry Pendleton has been added to the Dodgers' managerial mix and is scheduled for a formal interview Wednesday, Dodgers general manager Paul DePodesta said Sunday.
DePodesta said there also could be up to two more candidates interviewed, which would bring the total to eight.

DePodesta also said he is considering some candidates with ties to Dodgers history, and although he wouldn't name them, various sources said they were former Detroit bench coach Kirk Gibson, Texas pitching coach Orel Hershiser and former Dodgers outfielder Bobby Valentine, now the manager of the Chiba Lotte Marines of the Japanese Pacific League.

http://www2.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3123380

As of today's times though, Collins remains the favorite.

With the Dodger front office deep in deliberations, Terry Collins has emerged as the leading candidate to become manager, several high-level sources said Monday.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dodgers18oct18,1,2279924.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

penfold
10-19-05, 11:58 AM
Is it too much to ask that the Dodgers fire DePodesta?

Yeah, I know it probably is.... But I had to ask....

Dooley Womack
10-22-05, 10:47 PM
Is it too much to ask that the Dodgers fire DePodesta?

Yeah, I know it probably is.... But I had to ask....

I have a feeling that the Billy Beane Ball fad will soon be over. Now some new baseball "geniuses" will claim to "reinvent" the game.

jimmyclark
10-22-05, 11:36 PM
Why is Terry Collins even being considered? I don't think Tracy, LoDuca, Mota etc is exactly the golden era of Dodger baseball that old-time sportswriters are making it out to be. But DePodesta strikes me as in over his head.

SoCal Pinstriper
10-23-05, 09:10 AM
From Tim Brown's Column:

The theory coursing through baseball circles is McCourt will have final say on the manager, then make a decision on his general manager, perhaps making a change if what he perceives as a more attractive candidate Brian Cashman, Theo Epstein, Mark Newman, Jim Bowden, Kevin Towers is still available.

Dodger insiders believe DePodesta has another year to satisfy the McCourts, which seems rational enough, given the injuries that undermined the past season. But little in the McCourt occupancy of the Dodgers suggests rationality, particularly in the realm of the public relations department, where employee turnover has reached a Steinbrenner-like pace and attracted the attention of the highest offices in baseball. People in the commissioner's office are starting to ask questions.

Dodger employees and prospective employees, according to sources, have been directed by the McCourts and their lieutenants to "think of the McCourts as the brand and the Dodgers as the product." Most owners think of their franchises as the brand and the baseball as the product, and endeavor to keep themselves out of it.

But, as we have learned, this is not all about the baseball. While waiting on DePodesta's developing leadership skills, and upgrading the ballpark, and obsessively fretting over their image, the McCourts have created the perception that the Dodgers to them are little more than a real estate venture, and the rest of us are just in the way.

As baseball gathers at its 101st World Series, there is a striking dissimilarity between the teams that are here and the team in Los Angeles that is not.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-bbcol23oct23,1,3970380.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-mlb-dodger

Yanks21
10-23-05, 12:14 PM
It didn't take long for the McCourts to sully their reputation...

MLB ought to buy the franchise, and turn it back over to the O'malley family...

SoCal Pinstriper
10-25-05, 09:28 AM
Hershiser interviews today:

By the time Orel Hershiser reaches Dodger Stadium this evening to interview for the managerial opening, General Manager Paul DePodesta will have heard from scouts, minor league coordinators and perhaps even farm director Terry Collins who also happens to be a leading candidate to become manager during the first day of organizational meetings.

Interesting note about pitchers as managers:

Hershiser, 47, the Texas Ranger pitching coach since 2002, is anticipating Dodger reservations about his never having managed at any level and about the nearly nonexistent success former pitching coaches have had as managers.

In fact, taking the mound in the majors is close to a disqualifier.

Only Lasorda, Clark Griffith, Harry Wright, Fred Hutchinson and Roger Craig among the top 100 winningest managers were big league pitchers.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dodgers25oct25,1,1493488.story?coll=la-headlines-sports