PDA

View Full Version : Season's Over For Foulke

brosiusbuddy
09-22-05, 06:33 PM
Dunno if this was in the Red Sox thread, but figured it merited a thread of its own. Not that Foulke would have made much of a difference anyways at this point... http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2169444

BronxByTheBay
09-22-05, 06:34 PM
Damn...

sox jedi 14
09-22-05, 06:35 PM
Just wait until Snatch sees this. As Michelle Tanner would say, you're in big trouble mister.

dabomb2045
09-22-05, 06:35 PM
Ive said all season that if the Sox wanted to go anywhere...they needed Foulke and Schilling to return to their 2004 form

Foulke's done....and Schilling hasnt gotten there yet

RhodyYanksFan
09-22-05, 06:45 PM
I can't wait until the trolls start saying how he was always over-rated and they don't need him. You know, the same people who talked all the trash when they got him. The ones who said he's better then Mo.

Babe Rules
09-22-05, 06:45 PM
Bad news for us...

Sam18
09-22-05, 06:51 PM
I can't wait until the trolls start saying how he was always over-rated and they don't need him. You know, the same people who talked all the trash when they got him. The ones who said he's better then Mo.

Craig Hansen is now automatically a hall of famer.

Mystic Merlyn
09-22-05, 07:37 PM

He was (at least from '00-'04).

bnorris85
09-22-05, 07:40 PM

It would have been awsome to have the normal "incredable foulke" or whatever they called him in oakland when we got him. His absense this year has hurt us and it will be tough this post season (if we make it). He was awsome in the post season last year.

jonnyc39
09-22-05, 07:41 PM
I can't wait until the trolls start saying how he was always over-rated and they don't need him.
Well, they don't need him at the level he's played this year. But honestly which Sox fans around here do you think would say anything like that? The guy was one of the team's top-MVPs last season, hardly "always overrated."

Little Big Sheff
09-22-05, 08:02 PM
He was (at least from '00-'04).

2001 only.

EDIT : big IP discrepancy in 2002 though.

goin for 27
09-22-05, 08:22 PM
Too bad. Francona is similar to Torre in staying too long with the guys who got them there. Foulke was toast. I don't want to face Hansen. Followed his career closely at SJU. The kid can BRING IT.

candyman
09-22-05, 08:30 PM
He was better than Mo in the ALCS last year.

Sam18
09-22-05, 09:40 PM
He was better than Mo in the ALCS last year.

Cmon you know you wanna say much more than that about last year's ALCS. We're dying to hear it. Who else was better than Yankee players in the ALCS last year?

candyman
09-22-05, 09:46 PM
Cmon you know you wanna say much more than that about last year's ALCS. We're dying to hear it. Who else was better than Yankee players in the ALCS last year?
hehehe
I'm a Yankee fan, but I just had to admit that Foulke was the better closer last year. The Sox had timely hitting, but I don't think they were the better team.

Pepper03
09-22-05, 09:55 PM
He was everything they needed him to be last year, and then some.

Whenever I think of Keith Foulke, I will think of him fielding the grounder back to him and throwing it to first base to clinch the World Series.

This has been a lost year for him and not having him be anything even close to what he was last year for the Red Sox may end up being the one loss they couldn't overcome.

I hope the off-season brings to him a renewal of health in both mind and body. It has been truly sad for me to watch him both on and off the field this year.

I don't know much about him personally, maybe he's not a nice guy, maybe he is but is just having a terrible year, but I do know that without him last year there is no World Series banner flying at Fenway Park, so for that I will always be grateful to him.

Less than one year after he was on top of the world his season ends like this. Life is very humbling sometimes.

RhodyYanksFan
09-22-05, 10:12 PM
But honestly which Sox fans around here do you think would say anything like that? The guy was one of the team's top-MVPs last season, hardly "always overrated."

The ones that I know who in 2003 were so happy to play Oakland in the Division Series, partly because of how "hittable" Fouke is, but once he became a Red Sox it was a whole new story. Like I said...trolls.

Plus you know that those Sox fans bash all the players on their way out...Nomar, Manny (even though he didn't leave), Clemens, Lowe, etc

jonnyc39
09-22-05, 10:15 PM
Plus you know that those Sox fans bash all the players on their way out...Nomar, Manny (even though he didn't leave), Clemens, Lowe, etc
While I disagree in that it will be hard to say that he's been overrated, nothing irritates me more than the kind of Boston Dirt Dog reading fans that you describe here.

terminator
09-22-05, 10:17 PM
The ones that I know who in 2003 were so happy to play Oakland in the Division Series, partly because of how "hittable" Fouke is, but once he became a Red Sox it was a whole new story. Like I said...trolls.

Well Foulke was suffering from a pretty bad back during that series. Its not a stretch to say that had he been healthy, the A's win that series.

brosiusbuddy
09-22-05, 10:21 PM
Bostondirtdogs headline on Foulke: "Hit the road, Jerk. (And don't come back)"

So much for postseason hero that everyone loves... classy.

www.bostondirtdogs.com (http://www.bostondirtdogs.com)

Dooley Womack
09-22-05, 10:23 PM
Bad news for the Yanks.

Pepper03
09-22-05, 10:24 PM

I hate that Dirt Dog garbage.

Sam18
09-22-05, 10:25 PM
hehehe
I'm a Yankee fan, but I just had to admit that Foulke was the better closer last year. The Sox had timely hitting, but I don't think they were the better team.

I do agree that Foulke was better than Mo in the ALCS last year. I just thought you were a sox fan troll trying to get a rise out of Yankee fans.

MiamiKat
09-22-05, 10:50 PM

www.bostondirtdogs.com (http://www.bostondirtdogs.com/)Ugh. Normally the stuff on that site -- even the worst anti-Yankee crap -- doesn't bother me. But this time they've really gone too far.

Foulke is clearly a fragile guy right now -- and I'm not talking physically. And after everything he did for the Sox last year, for a site affiliated with the Boston Globe to put up something like that...wow...just WOW.

Mattpat11
09-22-05, 10:53 PM

www.bostondirtdogs.com (http://www.bostondirtdogs.com) Eh. Foulke has shown himself everal times this year to be an absolute jackass. I can't hold that against even BDD

jonnyc39
09-22-05, 10:57 PM
Ugh. Normally the stuff on that site -- even the worst anti-Yankee crap -- doesn't bother me. But this time they've really gone too far.

Did you see his headline earlier this year when the Sox were going into a Series in Philly? He put up a picture of a segregation-era beating of a black man by a group of white men with a headline to the effect of "Fans Welcome Francona Back to Philadelphia."

Steve Silva is an absolute moron.

Archer1979
09-22-05, 10:57 PM
Foulke, despite his problems this year, will be the guy who did what so many others have tried and failed for Boston.

Buenos suerto.

See you in Spring Training.

jpm114
09-22-05, 11:03 PM
Anyone know if this makes Hansen post-season eligible?? If he is...will they activate him??

Archer1979
09-22-05, 11:03 PM
Anyone know if this makes Hansen post-season eligible?? If he is...will they activate him??

You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding.

terminator
09-22-05, 11:10 PM

You'll see Hansen at the Grammys before you see him in the post-season.

jonnyc39
09-22-05, 11:15 PM
You'll see Hansen at the Grammys before you see him in the post-season.
I wouldn't be so sure.

P.S. He is eligible and Foulke's situation has nothing to do with it.

terminator
09-22-05, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't be so sure.

P.S. He is eligible and Foulke's situation has nothing to do with it.

Oh I know he is eligible for the playoffs. He was on the 40 man roster, and anyhow any pitcher can be brought up to replace Mantei, who is on the roster.

I'm not sure if the Sox are eligible to be in the playoffs.

jonnyc39
09-22-05, 11:18 PM
Oh I know he is eligible for the playoffs. He was on the 40 man roster, and anyhow any pitcher can be brought up to replace Mantei, who is on the roster.

I'm not sure if the Sox are eligible to be in the playoffs.
I realize you knew about his post season status - I was responding to the poster who asked.

If the Sox do make the postseason, though, and if Hansen has a couple more outings similar to his first, the Sox HAVE to use him in the playoffs. The bullpen sucks too much not to.

MiamiKat
09-22-05, 11:21 PM
Did you see his headline earlier this year when the Sox were going into a Series in Philly? He put up a picture of a segregation-era beating of a black man by a group of white men with a headline to the effect of "Fans Welcome Francona Back to Philadelphia."

Steve Silva is an absolute moron.Holy crap...Boston.com didn't sack him after publishing that??? http://www.nyyfans.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif

Wow.

Eh. Foulke has shown himself everal times this year to be an absolute jackass. I can't hold that against even BDDI'll bet his jackassery has a lot to do with his personal issues. BDD is kicking a guy when he's down.

jonnyc39
09-22-05, 11:23 PM
Holy crap...Boston.com didn't sack him after publishing that??? http://www.nyyfans.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif

Wow.

I was surprised they didn't drop him too. The headline didn't last long - it was taken down after an hour or so and replaced with a fine-print apology for offending anyone. The guy is a total loser.

Archer1979
09-22-05, 11:28 PM
I was surprised they didn't drop him too. The headline didn't last long - it was taken down after an hour or so and replaced with a fine-print apology for offending anyone. The guy is a total loser.

Soon after, this appeared...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/disclaimer/

CptCrunch
09-22-05, 11:47 PM
Soon after, this appeared...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/disclaimer/

:lol:

Dooley Womack
09-23-05, 12:44 AM
Despite Foulke's successes and nice ending to the 2004 season, as a fan, I never felt intimidated by a closer who throws junk with an average fastball, even if you do look up at the scoreboard and see zeroes. You always feel as if there's a fighting chance.