PDA

View Full Version : Lou Pinella Out After This Season in Tampa

Yankeeah
09-21-05, 06:33 PM
Just on SportsCenter, he won't be returning to the Rays next year.

gold23
09-21-05, 06:48 PM

Joe better get the Yanks into October.....'cause Mr. Piniella will be here if he doesn't.

Snatch Catch
09-21-05, 06:49 PM
Joe better get the Yanks into October.....'cause Mr. Piniella will be here if he doesn't.

The first thing that ran through my head: "PLEASE make the post-season, Yanks."

NYYBombshell
09-21-05, 06:49 PM
I figured he wouldn't be back.

However, I don't want him here.

ChinMusic
09-21-05, 06:53 PM

Good riddance. Nahnahnahnah nahnahnahnah heyheyhey goodbye

gold23
09-21-05, 06:54 PM

People complain about Joe's handling of a pitching staff :) Wait till they get a load of Lou's......

BronxByTheBay
09-21-05, 06:54 PM
Anyone that wants Lou Pinella managing this team next year is either unfamiliar with Lou Pinella or unfamiliar with the New York Yankees as currently constructed.

Snatch Catch
09-21-05, 06:55 PM
People complain about Joe's handling of a pitching staff :) Wait till they get a load of Lou's......

Torre could bring in Womack to close out games and I wouldn't want him gone.

S2
09-21-05, 06:56 PM
That sound you just heard was the Devil Ray players jumping for joy in unison.

Snatch Catch
09-21-05, 06:56 PM
Anyone that wants Lou Pinella managing this team next year is either unfamiliar with Lou Pinella or unfamiliar with the New York Yankees as currently constructed.

How about unfamiliar with Big Stein?

That is the most glaring reason to have a man in the position of manager whom is virtually unable to be fired.

b-ball-lunachick
09-21-05, 06:57 PM

I think that once a day but I'd love to have Lou next year. :)

hopefully now he'll finish his Yankee tryout and play beanball with the Sox tonight. :D we could use some Sox suspensions. :evil:

BronxByTheBay
09-21-05, 06:57 PM

That is the most glaring reason to have a man in the position of manager whom is virtually unable to be fired.

But Lou is so firey. Very hot. Yells and...like...yells.

gold23
09-21-05, 07:01 PM
Torre could bring in Womack to close out games and I wouldn't want him gone.

I agree. I get extremely frustrated with Torre at time (usually with regard to his pitching management), but the fact remains that he was and continues to be the best possible manager for the Yankees.

His handling of George, the media, players, and every single thing that goes into being the head of the most scrutinized team in America is unique.

goin for 27
09-21-05, 07:04 PM
I just heard that there is big time dissension in the clubhouse.

Piniella let Cantu and another player shower and leave last night while they were being routed.

It's kind of a shame. Finish the year for goodness sakes.

b-ball-lunachick
09-21-05, 07:04 PM

At times over the past few years, I've been happy that Torre has been untouchable for Stein...but in the last year or so, I'm ready to put the Torre years behind me...I love Joe Torre the person, met him and he was as charming and sincere a man you could ever meet...but I don't agree with too many of his managing decisions as of late...

As for Big Stein -- If you saw him in the press conference for the new stadium, he's not the same guy...sure he gets pissed at times, but he's different -- and I think he's going to have less and less direct involvement with the team...

Snatch Catch
09-21-05, 07:07 PM
At times over the past few years, I've been happy that Torre has been untouchable for Stein...but in the last year or so, I'm ready to put the Torre years behind me...I love Joe Torre the person, met him and he was as charming and sincere a man you could ever meet...but I don't agree with too many of his managing decisions as of late...

As for Big Stein -- If you saw him in the press conference for the new stadium, he's not the same guy...sure he gets pissed at times, but he's different -- and I think he's going to have less and less direct involvement with the team...

I think that once a day but I'd love to have Lou next year. :)

hopefully now he'll finish his Yankee tryout and play beanball with the Sox tonight. :D we could use some Sox suspensions. :evil:

You're a lunatic!

The only reason Big Stein is calmed down and different is because he can't shake things up in the managerial position! Torre's presence negates that irrationality!

Welcome back to the 80's if Torre is fired if the Yanks don't make the postseason.

b-ball-lunachick
09-21-05, 07:14 PM
You're a lunatic!

The only reason Big Stein is calmed down and different is because he can't shake things up in the managerial position! Torre's presence negates that irrationality!

Welcome back to the 80's if Torre is fired if the Yanks don't make the postseason.

It's luna-chick, not luna-tic. :D ;)

I agree that's been the case for the past several years, and I think Torre was the perfect manager for NY and for the team he had...but his managerial decisions, especially the use of the bullpen has only added to my ulcers in the past year. He's managing it like he still has the Mendoza/Stanton/Nelson/Mo crew from years past..I realize he locked in on a formula he liked because it helped him win for those years, but he either doesn't have that guy anymore, or he doesn't have that talent at the younger age to take that much abuse...

I think Lou is a great manager. We want to get younger and start using younger players, and Lou is a good instructional manager...do you think that team would be 1/2 as good as it is now if he weren't their manager?

jeflores0917
09-21-05, 07:16 PM
I can see Piniella going to Baltimore. One of the criticisms on Mazzili was that he didn't argue enough on behalf of his players. The O's would get that (and then some) with Piniella.

RhodeyYankee2638
09-21-05, 07:16 PM
Lou Pineilla + Randy Johnson + George Steinbrenner = Hell in the Bronx

b-ball-lunachick
09-21-05, 07:18 PM
I can see Piniella going to Baltimore. One of the criticisms on Mazzili was that he didn't argue enough on behalf of his players. The O's would get that (and then some) with Piniella.

I read in Sports Weekly last week that Lou would probably leave and chances were he'd go to the Yankees or the Orioles...

WHIP
09-21-05, 07:21 PM
I read in Sports Weekly last week that Lou would probably leave and chances were he'd go to the Yankees or the Orioles...

The Orioles already have next season's manager decided, and it's not Piniella. Why do you think our forum friend has been inconspicuous for so long?

ChinMusic
09-21-05, 07:22 PM
If Torre is going to be back next year, then they better fix the bullpen in the offseason. And by fix, to make it Torre-proof, I think there has to be 4 elite short relievers rather than 3, so that 1 could always be recharging. But if you do this, I think, hed still overuse the 4, by pulling the starters after 5. Some combination of Mo-Sturze-gordon-Ryan-Farnsworth.

ChinMusic
09-21-05, 07:24 PM
Pinella has managed RJ in Seattle. Was there any prior bad history?

HelloNewman
09-21-05, 07:25 PM
Joe better get the Yanks into October.....'cause Mr. Piniella will be here if he doesn't.Cue the circus music. :(

WHIP
09-21-05, 07:25 PM
Cue the circus music. :(

I knew that this thread was missing something!

b-ball-lunachick
09-21-05, 07:26 PM
Cue the circus music. :(

If we thought this year was interesting, think of next year. :D

Kim Jones vs Sweet Lou after a bad Yankee loss -- good times. :D

somejerk
09-21-05, 07:28 PM
Lou will get a $2.2 million buyout. Apparently half of the $4.4 million owed next year.

ring403
09-21-05, 07:29 PM
I think the Tampa faction will be pushing very hard to put Lou Piniella in pinstripes next season.

HelloNewman
09-21-05, 07:30 PM
If Torre is going to be back next year, then they better fix the bullpen in the offseason. And by fix, to make it Torre-proof, I think there has to be 4 elite short relievers rather than 3, so that 1 could always be recharging. But if you do this, I think, hed still overuse the 4, by pulling the starters after 5.There is absolutely nothing in his history to indicate that he routinely pulls effective starters after 5. Nice bash, though.

HelloNewman
09-21-05, 07:32 PM
Kim Jones vs Sweet Lou after a bad Yankee loss -- good times. :DConsidering that she quickly caved the one time Uncle Joe got in her face this year, I doubt she'd be much of a match for Lou.

ChinMusic
09-21-05, 07:36 PM
There is absolutely nothing in his history to indicate that he routinely pulls effective starters after 5. Nice bash, though.

No but there is everything in his history that he habitually abuses bullpen arms.

HelloNewman
09-21-05, 07:45 PM
No but there is everything in his history that he habitually abuses bullpen arms.Yes, when he has crappy/injured starting pitching, such as in 2004 and 2005. I don't see a whole lot of evidence of abused relief pitchers prior to then. (Steve Karsay? Sorry, Setback Steve pitched exactly a third of an inning more in 2002 than he had in 2001 for Bobby Cox and Leo Mazzone. Karsay just happened to be an injury risk his whole career, and the Yankee FO was idiotic to give him 4 years.) The funny thing is, it used to be a common criticism of Torre that he was too abusive to STARTING pitchers.

It would seem a better solution than bringing in crotchety-cranky-crazy Lou Piniella as some sort of rent-a-savior would be to try to populate the starting rotation with fewer antiques and MASH-unit rejects and more younger, resilient arms.

Or hire Joe Girardi if you've just gotta have a new mgr. Just not Lou, pleeeeeeeze.

ieddyi
09-21-05, 09:40 PM

Do you really think that if Lou had been managing the team with the talent it had during the late 90's run he wouldn't have won with them?

He did pretty well with that one Seattle team. Lou's displeasure with his young pitchers is because they don't know how to pitch yet ( most never will )

Snatch Catch
09-21-05, 09:49 PM
Do you really think that if Lou had been managing the team with the talent it had during the late 90's run he wouldn't have won with them?

Would he have even gotten the chance if he didn't win in '96?

The Big Stein presence is so cartoonish that we forget how bad it really was when he was running amok.

Archer1979
09-21-05, 09:52 PM
Why do I think Peter Angelos is going to be calling?

HelloNewman
09-21-05, 11:40 PM

He did pretty well with that one Seattle team.Which one, the one with Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey Jr., A-Rod, Edgar Martinez and Jay Buhner that didn't win or the one that won 116 games and didn't win?

Dooley Womack
09-21-05, 11:51 PM
You're a lunatic!

Why do I think Peter Angelos is going to be calling?

I wouldn't put it past the Sox to go after him. I'd be more worried facing a Piniella-led Sox team than a Francona one.

I'm one who would prefer him to Torre and not only because of his "fire" but he's the superior manager on the field, if not off it. Plus I think that we can attribute Steinbrenner not getting as involved to age rather than his inability to win a battle against Torre. I believe Piniella in 2006 would have more autonomy than the 80's Piniella.

ring403
09-21-05, 11:53 PM
Which one, the one with Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey Jr., A-Rod, Edgar Martinez and Jay Buhner that didn't win or the one that won 116 games and didn't win?How is that relevent to the question of whether or not Piniella is a good manager? Are you saying that his managing is to blame for Seattle's lack of a Championship?

HelloNewman
09-22-05, 12:36 AM
How is that relevent to the question of whether or not Piniella is a good manager? Are you saying that his managing is to blame for Seattle's lack of a Championship?He's been a good manager, all right, just not John J. McGraw Jr. as some here would have you believe, and not necessarily the magic bullet for the Yankees' problems. Were Torre to have failed to win championships under the two conditions I cited, he would be getting fricasseed here, and you know it. Yet because Lou is on the other side of the fence, his grass is greener, I suppose.

And yes, I'm concerned that like Torre, he's showing his age a little bit, and might no longer be the manager everyone remembers. To quote one example, that stunt with Travis Harper during the 13-run inning in June was so reminiscent of the Billy Martin/Brian Fisher fiasco of September 1985, it's scary.

NHYank
09-22-05, 11:13 AM
I like Lou Pinella as a manager of a veteran team like the Yankees however in the next 2 years we will have a bunch of young pitchers coming up and I don't think Lou's patience with young pitchers will be very good for development or for the team. FA market is thin next year so we will have to develop from within.

mr. baskums
09-22-05, 11:56 AM
If we thought this year was interesting, think of next year. :D

Kim Jones vs Sweet Lou after a bad Yankee loss -- good times. :D

This is something that I would pay to see :D

Kim, "So Lou, how do you feel after RJ gave up 6 runs in the 8th to lose the lead?"

Lou, "How the &$&*$##@*%%I* do you think I feel you dumbass? Is that all you can come up with to ask me you %#$@%#$#@%^!

:lol:

Bub
09-22-05, 12:00 PM
This is something that I would pay to see :D

Kim, "So Lou, how do you feel after RJ gave up 6 runs in the 8th to lose the lead?"

Lou, "How the &$&*$##@*%%I* do you think I feel you dumbass? Is that all you can come up with to ask me you %#$@%#$#@%^!

:lol:Hey, baseball is entertainment and nothing else; may as well get more for our money. I'd love to see the look on our middle relievers' faces as Lou goes out to remove them in games where a 10-run lead evaporated to 1.

mr. baskums
09-22-05, 12:02 PM
Hey, baseball is entertainment and nothing else; may as well get more for our money. I'd love to see the look on our middle relievers' faces as Lou goes out to remove them in games where a 10-run lead evaporated to 1.

:lol: Priceless :roflmao:

Lou certainly has turned into a grumpy old coot!

b-ball-lunachick
09-22-05, 01:44 PM
Heard Kurkjan (sp? I can never spell that name :D) on Mike/Mike -- said if Marlins don't make the playoffs, McKeon is out and may be out anyway as has been speculated about all year...if that's the case, he said Piniella could look to go there...

if he's not the manager of the Yankees, I hope he's in the NL...

DontHateOnNumber2
09-22-05, 03:38 PM

The Yankees better be scorching in the playoffs because I don't want him returning to New York, unless it's as a Metropolitan. The New York Mets for those who want to be smart-asses. :P

BronxByTheBay
09-22-05, 03:43 PM
Hey, baseball is entertainment and nothing else; may as well get more for our money. I'd love to see the look on our middle relievers' faces as Lou goes out to remove them in games where a 10-run lead evaporated to 1.

Except Lou doesn't remove his relievers - he sends his pitching coach out to do it. So even from that perspective, it would suck having Piniella here.

SoCal Pinstriper
05-02-06, 07:25 AM
Badabump

Lou Piniella, 62, signed with Fox to analyze a series of Saturday games starting May 20, but he said he still is interested in managing - only for a contender.

"I don't think I'd like to have my career end with three losing seasons," he said yesterday, referring to his stint with the Devil Rays.

Meanwhile, he keeps busy at home in Florida, fishing, golfing, and even water skiing.

Piniella spoke at a Manhattan luncheon while wearing his 1977 Yankees World Series ring. He said he wears it every day. Why? "It was the first one," he said.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spbest024726039may02,0,7778270.column?coll=ny-sports-print

Bob Saccomano
05-02-06, 08:27 AM
Badabump
http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spbest024726039may02,0,7778270.column?coll=ny-sports-print

Oh boy. This will bring the Piniella suppoters out in droves...

flymick24
05-02-06, 03:38 PM
Badabump

i wonder if he knows george is watching

Sam18
05-02-06, 03:59 PM
i wonder if he knows george is watching

Yeah and the timing of this news couldn't be better.

JeffWeaverFan
05-02-06, 06:16 PM
Philly might be a good place for him.

SoCal Pinstriper
10-10-06, 02:06 PM
Giants general manager Brian Sabean has held preliminary discussions with Lou Piniella about the team's managerial opening, Piniella said Monday, with another source saying they will continue their dialogue. "I talked to Brian," Piniella said in Oakland as the A's and Tigers worked out ahead of tonight's American League Championship Series opener. Piniella is working at the series as a television analyst for Fox and sheepishly answered a barrage of questions about his prospects for managing in 2007.
"The Giants, they're a good ballclub. We'll see what happens," Piniella said. "I've had just a small, preliminary discussion with the Giants."
Piniella, 63, joins bench coach Ron Wotus as the only confirmed candidates to replace Felipe Alou. Another potential candidate, pitching coach Dave Righetti, said Monday that Sabean has not approached him about the job and that he is not sure how he would respond if invited to apply.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/10/SPGEULLOJQ1.DTL

SoCal Pinstriper
10-11-06, 04:57 PM
OAKLAND, Calif. -- If the Cubs want veteran manager Lou Piniella, the feeling appears to be mutual -- especially with the New York Yankees no longer an option for 2007. Piniella expressed deep interest in the Cubs job during an exclusive interview Tuesday with the Sun-Times before Game 1 of the American League Championship Series.
''Yeah, I've talked to the Cubs,'' said Piniella, who is broadcasting the ALCS for Fox. ''Chicago is a wonderful city. And the Cubs are a very storied franchise. They have great fans. I had a nice conversation with their general manager, Jim Hendry. He's a real baseball guy. We just have to wait and see what happens.
''I've always enjoyed going to Chicago as a player and as a manager. It's truly one of the great cities in our country. Being a part of turning around the Cubs would be a challenge.''
Piniella made the most of his trip to the Bay Area, meeting privately with San Francisco Giants general manager Brian Sabean on Tuesday to discuss that team's managerial opening. Piniella also confirmed he met last week in Tampa, Fla., with Hendry -- becoming the first candidate to formally interview for the Cubs job.
Sources close to Piniella say the Cubs are tops on his wish list as teams zero in on one of the hottest candidates on the market.
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/91562,CST-SPT-cub11.articl