PDA

View Full Version : Cone Finds Satisfaction in Sox Debut

#1PaFan
05-21-01, 05:58 PM
Imagine that. It's deja vu all over again.

http://www.projo.com/report/stories/05514351.htm

KANSAS CITY -- Upon further video review, David Cone found satisfaction in his first start for the Red Sox, albeit an abbreviated one, Thursday in the Metrodome.

Cone and pitching coach Joe Kerrigan watched tapes of the game, checking out each one of Cone's 76 pitches over three-plus innings in the right-hander's Boston debut. Cone allowed two runs on two hits, walked four and hit a batter. The radar gun read 90 mph three times, and his fastball was consistently 88-89 mph.

He had trouble with his location, and that put him deep in the counts, but the bottom line was that his shoulder, which forced him onto the disabled list midway through the exhibition season, came through the start just fine.

"Physically I have no problems," said Cone, 38, yesterday before batting practice at Kauffman Stadium.

"I'm encouraged by how I feel. Watching the tapes, I had great movement which showed good arm strength. Everything is in place for me to make the next step. I think I'll even get better (with velocity), but what I had was enough if I can get the movement and throw strikes. I'm still a work in progress."

And the work will continue next in a familiar location for Cone -- Yankee Stadium. Cone, who helped the Yanks win four World Championships in his five-plus seasons with New York, will start at the Stadium Wednesday night.

"It will be a sort of situation that can be emotional," admitted Cone, who was 4-14 last year for New York, prompting the Yanks to pass on re-signing him, leading him to hook on with the Sox.

"You don't know how you'll react until you get into that situation. I'll try to keep calm, but it will be crazy. I have a lot of friends there. I won't avoid anybody. But you don't want to get distracted. You have to try to contain your emotions. I'm just thankful I'll have the opportunity."

Luvtino
05-21-01, 06:19 PM
Scary isn't it?? :lol:

He never admits when he stinks. Not last year, not last week. Everything is just peachy in the fantasy land he has created. :lol:

CalifYanksFan
05-21-01, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Luvtino
Scary isn't it?? :lol:

He never admits when he stinks. Not last year, not last week. Everything is just peachy in the fantasy land he has created. :lol:

Ditto! I said the same thing in another post. He's said the same stuff last year, only he was wearing pinstripes. Hey if you lie to yourself long enough you start to believe it. Ask O.J. Simpson. :lol:

Slippery Elm
05-21-01, 06:32 PM
Yes, you are right. Same as last year.

Cone always engaged in self-delusion throughout all of 2000. AND TORRE CATERED TO HIM and to those delusions.

Luvtino
05-21-01, 06:32 PM
OJ is such a good liar I think even he believes it!! Good call Russ!! :lol:

madforyanks
05-21-01, 06:54 PM
Cone's entire career has been a victory of mind over matter. And he's come back against several obstacles that would have made most guys retire. So he can only respond to outside reality checks--like the unwillingness of anyone to hire him. He will be out there pitching as long as someone will give him a job. Also, IMHO, there's something left in that right arm (but maybe not enough to start).

Ansky39
05-21-01, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by #1PaFan
Imagine that. It's deja vu all over again.

http://www.projo.com/report/stories/05514351.htm

[...]"

if I can get the movement and throw strikes.

[...]

whatta genius.... if he could just throw strikes then he wouldn't suck...

Kenmore
05-21-01, 10:50 PM
I think Kerrigan won't fool around if he has it fine, if not bye bye.

DWathome
05-21-01, 11:06 PM
Yankee fans got the most satisfaction in Cones Red Sox debut.

penguin4
05-22-01, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by CalifYanksFan
Hey if you lie to yourself long enough you start to believe it. Ask O.J. Simpson. :lol:
... and part of me has the sinking feeling that Yankee fans will have to eat their words Wednesday nite. I mean, after all, however guilty, OJ *did* get off in the end...

But enough. I'm sick of all this. Maybe we should just change the name of this forum from "Around the Majors" to "DavidCone.com".:rolleyes: