PDA

View Full Version : Jeter in the 9th inning

NYDCYankee
08-10-05, 04:17 PM
Does anyone have numbers on Jeter's stats in the ninth inning this year, becasue it seems to me that he isn't do much in late inning situations. Now I confess this may just be a result of his poor peformance in the past few weeks in such situations. I am starting not to trust him in late inning pressure situations and feel like there is something wrong with me for feeling this way. Anyway if anyone could post the stats I would appreciate it. I really hope he isn't pressing to much.

ryanm1058123
08-10-05, 04:24 PM
I know I'm gonna get killed for this, but Jeter is the last person out of the "big 6" I'd like to have up in a key spot right now.

noneckwilliams
08-10-05, 04:28 PM
The key pitch in the 9th today was the 1-0 pitch that was way out of the strike zone but he went around on. I also thought that fat POS umpire jobbed him on the called strike - but such is life.

Sierra Mist
08-10-05, 04:29 PM
I know I'm gonna get killed for this, but Jeter is the last person out of the "big 6" I'd like to have up in a key spot right now.

we have a "big 6"???

ryanm1058123
08-10-05, 04:30 PM
we have a "big 6"???

I'm talking about the top 6 batters in our order. Actually, he'd be 5th. Cano would be 6th.

NYDCYankee
08-10-05, 04:33 PM
Do you think he is pressing since he is the captian? Feeling like he should lead the team out of its duldrums.

The Q Bomb
08-10-05, 04:38 PM
Does anyone have numbers on Jeter's stats in the ninth inning this year, becasue it seems to me that he isn't do much in late inning situations. Now I confess this may just be a result of his poor peformance in the past few weeks in such situations. I am starting not to trust him in late inning pressure situations and feel like there is something wrong with me for feeling this way. Anyway if anyone could post the stats I would appreciate it. I really hope he isn't pressing to much.

Jeter has not done the job in these situations this season as he has in seasons past - unfortunately.

Bub
08-10-05, 09:12 PM
Most hitters do worse than their average overall in the 9th since the opposing pitcher is usually a closer-type. It's possible that Jeter does comparatively worse than others against the good closers though.

38Special
08-11-05, 01:17 AM
Close And Late - results in the 7th inning or later with the batting team either ahead by one run, tied or with the potential tying run at least on deck.

.311/.391/.410

his reg season #'s:
.307/.387/.444

so....no.

sandman84
08-11-05, 11:33 AM
He was talkin about the 9th inning where i must admit i dont think he is hitting very well at all. I think the close and late stat is skewed because it takes into account his 7th inning hitting. I do know that he is hitting .250 with risp and .240 with RISP and 2 out. It seems this year that Jeter has come up a bunch of times and really hasnt delivered in the 9th. I hope he starts though. The yanks need him to hit in those spots.

justinvarnes
08-11-05, 12:36 PM
I can only think of 3 or 4 games in the 112 this season. one time he was robbed of a hit in Milwaukee.

But I agree it seems as though it's been more. probably just because every loss seems to hurt more than usual this year.

PaulieIsAwesome
08-11-05, 01:01 PM
This thread demonstrates why I think clutch is bunk. Jeter has a couple of high profile outs in the 9th inning of games, and fans start wondering if he's unclutch, despite his pretty good numbers in "pressure" spots, posted by 38 above.

We have selective memories. This year, his game ending outs stick out in our minds. Last year, the home runs did.

cubswin
08-11-05, 09:48 PM
I'm surprised these #s aren't radily available. I did find his #s for innings 7-9, versus 1-6: 710 OPS, versus 877, respectively.

Blues63
08-17-05, 05:48 PM
I think stats in these situations are kind of skewed as well...it's too small of a sample to be of any worth, and two hits in that situation makes you a star and no hits in the next four ABs makes you a loser.

NYYFAN
08-18-05, 11:17 AM
Cano isn't a big 6 player to me...but a hole in the lineup right now...