PDA

View Full Version : Marlins

berriYankee
05-13-01, 01:47 AM
Well, the Florida Marlins pitcher A.J. Burnett pitched a no hitter against the San Diego Padres on Saturday night May 12, 2001. It was his first complete game in the major leagues. He is only 24.

Marlins won 3-0 and AJ walked 9 batters, hit one and struck out 7 batters in nine innings. A total of 129 pitches.

Great game AJ!!!!! :) :)

#1PaFan
05-13-01, 02:03 AM
Yeah, a NINE walk no-hitter. :)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/2001/20010512/recap/flasdg.html

SAN DIEGO (AP) A.J. Burnett pitched one of the wildest no-hitters ever.

Overcoming a record nine walks, Burnett kept San Diego off-balance and hitless in the first complete game of his major league career, leading the Florida Marlins over the Padres 3-0 Saturday night.

"That's a lot of walks," Burnett said. "I'm not going to lie to anybody, that's ridiculous. But you can't tell me anything right now that's going to take me down. I'll take nine walks, any way, shape."

The 24-year-old walked the most batters in a nine-inning, complete-game, no-hitter since 1900 and tied a Marlins team record for walks in a game.

Only Cincinnati's Jim Maloney had more walks in a complete-game no-hitter, 10 in 10 innings against the Chicago Cubs on Aug. 19, 1965.

Burnett also hit a batter and had a wild pitch, throwing just 65 of 128 pitches for strikes.

"If he hadn't have walked nine, he probably wouldn't have gotten the no-hitter," said San Diego's Phil Nevin, who made the final out. "He was so wild in the zone the thing about his fastball was it was moving so much."

The 6-foot-5 right-hander, just 8-10 in his major league career, was making his second start of the season and 22nd of his three-year major league career.

Burnett (1-1), who struck out seven, missed the first month while on an injury rehabilitation assignment due to a stress fracture in his right foot.

"It's an amazing feeling. Just to be able to throw one is awesome," he said. "I never thought the second start back I'd throw a no-hitter."

It was only his second complete game in 99 starts as a professional. Of his 128 pitches, just 65 were strikes.

Alex Arias flied to right starting the ninth and pinch-hitter Santiago Perez struck out.

Nevin, another pinch-hitter, then popped to shortstop for the final out.

Catcher Charles Johnson ran out and hugged Burnett near home plate, and the rest of the Marlins mobbed the pitcher.

The closest the Padres came to a hit was on Arias' grounder to shortstop in the seventh. Gonzalez made a sliding, backhanded stop, and his throw was up the first-base line. Arias tried to hop over Derrek Lee's tag, but Lee tagged Arias on the left foot.

An inning earlier, Bubba Trammell hit a grounder to the hole at second but Luis Castillo got to it and threw him out.

Burnett had a double at the plate in the second, giving him one more hit than he allowed. He started noticing his no-hit bid in the seventh.

"I knew after the seventh that I had a chance, but I didn't want to throw too many pitches," Burnett said. "I felt good all night, and the closer it got the more confident I was."

Al Leiter threw Florida's first no-hitter on May 11, 1996, against Colorado, and Kevin Brown San Diego's ace in 1998 no-hit San Francisco on June 10, 1997.

Burnett, coincidentally, came to the Marlins in the deal that sent Leiter to the New York Mets on Feb. 6, 1998.

Burnett's gem was the second of the season. Boston's Hideo Nomo no-hit Baltimore on April 4.

The Padres have been no-hit five times, twice at home. The previous was Sept. 11, 1991, a combined no-no by Kent Mercker, Mark Wohlers and Alejandro Pena.

Wascar Serrano lost in his major league debut, allowing three runs just one earned and six hits in seven innings. He was recalled from Triple-A Portland after Brian Tollberg went on the disabled list with a broken finger.

The Padres committed three errors for the second time in four games, all by infielders and leading to two unearned runs. Shortstop Donaldo Mendez committed two throwing errors.

Mendez's first error allowed Eric Owens to reach leading off the third. Preston Wilson beat out an infield single with one out and Johnson doubled to right field, with the ball bouncing off the front of the stands to elude Trammell, for a 2-0 lead.

Mendez's other throwing error, on Johnson's grounder in the fifth, allowed Cliff Floyd to score to make it 3-0.

Serrano dodged big trouble in the first inning. The Marlins loaded the bases on a throwing error by second baseman Damian Jackson and consecutive walks. Wilson hit a dribbler in front of the plate and catcher Ben Davis touched home for the force, Johnson struck out and Kevin Millar flied out.

Game notes
Four pitchers had walked eight in nine-inning, complete game no-hitters since 1900: Johnny Vander Meer for Cincinnati against Brooklyn on June 15, 1938; Cliff Chambers for Pittsburgh against the Boston Braves on May 6, 1951; Doc Ellis for Pittsburgh against San Diego on June 12, 1970; and Nolan Ryan for California against Minnesota on Sept. 28, 1974. ... Leiter walked nien with Florida on May 22, 1996, at Cincinnati. ... Rickey Henderson extended two of his big league career records within a matter of moments in the third inning. He drew his 2,074th walk and then stole his 1,378th base.

Slippery Elm
05-13-01, 02:40 AM
http://marlins.mlb.com/mlb/photo/2001_news/b/ph_news_burnett288_051201.jpg

SanFrANSKY
05-13-01, 02:55 AM
For a team supposedly fated to "contraction," the Marlins are stepping up! They have possibly the best young pitching staff in the majors, (AJ, Dempster, Penny) and they have some great hitters in Cliff Floyd, CJ, and of course Preston Wilson.

In another year, they could give the NL East trouble ... if they get another year.

Gator
05-13-01, 02:59 AM
Well if that wasn't one of the strangest no-hitters I've ever seen....he threw just as many balls (65 I think) as he did strikes (69).....but that kid's got a good future.

On another note, how come it seems that guys who pitch no-hitters seem to have pretty bad command, where the guys with great command (Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, etc) have never pitched a no-no.

Slippery Elm
05-13-01, 03:06 AM
You forgot Clemens. No no-hitter!! Believe it or not. :scared:

Danmel
05-13-01, 12:46 PM
AND he ws in the Mets Orgamization and they traded him! Another former met to pitch a no-no. No one has ever done it in a Mets uniform. Just makes it even better, doesn't it????