PDA

View Full Version : Twins fans in LF-- What's their deal?

1TonHumanHamsterWheel
05-01-01, 11:23 PM
OK, Knobby was traded 3 years ago. Does anyone here know why they're still so bitter towards him, throwing quarters and beach balls at him? Is it because their jealous of his return to good fielding? Some people I just don't understand.

WindRavenX
05-01-01, 11:28 PM
Knoblauch WAS the team's franchise player after Kirby left. And he left with bad feelings for the Twins too...after winning a WS ring his Rookie year, he demanded a long term contract and got it. Then, after the twins started to suck hard, he demanded to be traded.
Plus, when he was there, there were times he was a complete ass, he was loud, and a bitch to the media sometimes. When he was traded, before the yips, he seemed to have mellowed out...
But, the Twinkie fans feel like he's backstabbed them. they loved him, and then he hurt the fans.

Slippery Elm
05-02-01, 12:57 AM
Maybe more likely is was too much beer and too little security discipline - once the inebriated hooligans saw that nothing was going to be done about their rotten behavior they just got worse. That's the deal in our public schools: the hoodlums are running amok because they are allowed to.

Gator
05-02-01, 01:46 AM
The Metrodome too? Man, there must be Red Sox fans everywhere....

Chris
05-02-01, 07:46 AM
I understand a bit of anger over his trade demands, in fact I'm sure I'd be pissed off myself, but of the nine players on the field of their fist place team with the best home record in baseball three of them they got in the Knoblauch deal, and we certainly don't have the Gold Glove second basemen we thought we were getting.

#1Coneyfan
05-02-01, 07:50 AM
Tom Kelly badmouthed Knobby to the press after he left, so I'm sure that doesn't help the situation.

Chris
05-02-01, 07:55 AM
The guy forced a trade less than half way through a huge contract, that's never something that the team or the fans like, I don't blame Tom Kelly for saying so.
Yesterday before the game Kelly approached Torre to apologize he said he couldn't sleep.

Nome
05-02-01, 10:51 AM
Look, I know we are all sports fans, and for the most part we are all sane, contributing members of society, but in my lifetime I have seen so many instances of some sportsfans being the scum of the earth it is appalling. In 61* you had the fan with a Yankee #3 shirt throwing a chair at Maris. Attending NASCAR races, I have heard fans (then of Earnhard) wish Gordon would have an accident and be killed. At a Yankee game in the 50's, I have seen a Yankee fan throw a BoSox fan off the upperdeck to the box seats below. Last year I was at a Yankee game with my family and a group of female fans were yelling at Jeter that they wished he would make love to them, only they used different words. At Cosmo's soccer games I have smelled Mary Jane so strong it almost made me high, and the fans were so unruly I had to take my family home. Why is it that soccer in Europe and South America cause so many riots. Anyway you get my point. Sometimes it is hard to attend sporting events due to the poor behaviour of some fans.

CarolR
05-02-01, 03:17 PM
I think Chuckie can be a little obnoxious from time to time.....He certainly didn't leave a good taste in Minn mouth.....But that certainly is no excuse for what is going on. Same thing with Roger and Boston-----he wanted out so the fans hate him.

Look at us with Boomer.......We wanted him to stay and when he came to pitch against us we gave him a standing ovation, and he had a tear in his eye......

My dad always had a saying "It depends if your buying or selling"............

That is the sport.........Glad to say I am a great Fan!!!!

satchel
05-02-01, 03:45 PM
I was surprised that the fans still hate Knoblauch enough to raise a fuss after three years.
But when I got to thinking about it, it occurred to me that it has as much to do with hating
New York, and hating the Yankees, as it does with Knoblauch.

If Knoblauch had been traded to Texas, say, or Toronto, the fans in Minnesota would
almost certainly have got over it by now. Or if he'd been traded to the Yankees, but the
Yankees had not then gone on to win three championships in a row, they'd probably have
got over it by now.

But it seems that there are some folks out there, that hate the Yankees every bit as much
as we love them. And I guess that's just how it is. We were most of us born and raised
with our allegiances - they are deep and visceral. For some, the rational force that keeps
the rest of us from disrupting games and threatening players just doesn't function so well.

-satchel

#1Coneyfan
05-02-01, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by CarolR
Same thing with Roger and Boston-----he wanted out so the fans hate him.

Not true. The Red Sox lost confidence in Clemens and let him leave. What they offered him was too little and too late. The treatment he receives when he goes back to Fenway is shameful after the way he pitched for that team.

BTW, they did the same thing to Mo Vaughn. Clemens told Mo if you get out of Boston, because of the regime that's in control, it adds five years to your career.

Danmel
05-02-01, 05:11 PM
Whatever happened to Minnesota Nice??

patrick.o
05-02-01, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by #1Coneyfan
Not true. The Red Sox lost confidence in Clemens and let him leave. What they offered him was too little and too late. The treatment he receives when he goes back to Fenway is shameful after the way he pitched for that team.

That couldn't have been said better. When management (Duquette) rode him out of town after deeming that he was washed up, not a lot of Sox fans were complaining. Then he wins two more Cy's and a Ring or two and people hate his guts.
One of the greatest players in that teams storied history and they throw beer at his family. Sometimes I think they deserve the curse.

yankeesrule2000
05-03-01, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by patrick.o

That couldn't have been said better. When management (Duquette) rode him out of town after deeming that he was washed up, not a lot of Sox fans were complaining. Then he wins two more Cy's and a Ring or two and people hate his guts.
One of the greatest players in that teams storied history and they throw beer at his family. Sometimes I think they deserve the curse.

they do, and i hope the curse is never lifted!!