PDA

View Full Version : Art Howe's mysterious call

satchel
04-30-01, 11:24 AM
This has been bugging me since yesterday.

In the ninth inning when the second batter reached on the ground ball to Soriano, the next batter bunted him over. Here's my question: why? you are down two runs with one out in the ninth. What good does moving one runner into scoring position do? You still need a home run to tie and now you only have one out left to try and get it.

The only possibility I can think of is that the guy was actually trying to bunt his way on, not to put down a sacrifice. Is that it? I can't remember who he was, so I don't know if that's realistic - the A's aren't known for their blinding speed.

-satchel

KLJ
04-30-01, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by satchel
The only possibility I can think of is that the guy was actually trying to bunt his way on, not to put down a sacrifice. Is that it?

you are exactly right.. he was bunting for a hit, not a sacrifice.. brosius was playing way back.. the batter made an error in judgment however.. he didn't realize we have the best fielding 3rd baseman in the league.. :)

Jim F.
04-30-01, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by KLJ
the batter made an error in judgment however.. he didn't realize we have the best fielding 3rd baseman in the league.. :) Amen. Sometimes the best offense is defense...

-jim

satchel
04-30-01, 02:31 PM
You're right - Brosius makes that sweet bare-handed play as well as anyone.

-satchel